Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
i enjoy arby's 3 pepper sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Finland is about the size of Washington DC or Qingdao PRC or St Petersburg Russia

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

euphronius posted:

Finland is about the size of Washington DC or Qingdao PRC or St Petersburg Russia

geographically its much bigger

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why is that important or relevant

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weka posted:

How much more advanced is a Challenger 2 or Leopard 2 than a T72b?

Probably not much once they strip it of all the top secret stuff, but I don't know poo poo about tanks.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

is it true that finns were born from raindeer poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I ignore this thread for less than a day and suddenly there are multiple pages about Arby's sandwiches

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
drat i should really splurge 100 bucks and get a big slab of beef and make a roast beef and cheddar sandwich

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

is it true that finns were born from raindeer poo poo

"Let the semen of a man putrefy by itself in a sealed cucurbite with the highest putrefaction of the venter tarandus [reindeer manure] for forty days, or until it begins at last to live, move, and be agitated, which can easily be seen…If now, after this, it is everyday nourished and fed cautiously and prudently with [an] arcanum of human blood…it becomes, thenceforth, a true and living Finn, having all the members of a child that is born from a woman, but much smaller."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

My brother in being anal, you are being trolled into a stupid slapfight, and not for the first time.

The difference is I don’t whine when there were slap-fights, but whining about lots of new posts is a staple of the thread for some people. So if posters truly don’t want arguments over details and numbers, they have a weird way of showing it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Finnish map in The Hunter: Call of the Wild is a nice pastoral experience of mostly upland bird and waterfowl hunting, and the Finnish janitor in Control did a lot to further the narrative and add to the atmosphere, so obviously I’m conflicted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

The Finnish map in The Hunter: Call of the Wild is a nice pastoral experience of mostly upland bird and waterfowl hunting,

Yeah. It’s a good map and design.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

euphronius posted:

why is that important or relevant

lower population density

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1614623778872369154?t=pFIfVpkwWOzvMm_qbu33Jg&s=19

Warlord era for Russia, this is fine

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anders Ostfront back with another banger.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Weka posted:

This is kind of a trick question because there's a lot of variants of each of those vehicles. For example, the T72B is contemporary with the Leopard 2 (not A1, or any other later variants).

Both the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 are heavier tanks, thus somewhat better protected and likely have better optics and thermals than the mainstay of Russian tanks. In an fight of equal numbers, you would want to bet on the NATO tanks. But in a war, it won't be a huge difference.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Historically the MBTs of the BAOR were designed to slowly retreat through the North German Plain, and so had thick turret armour and an emphasis on long range gunnery at the price of always being a bit slow, among other shortcomings. Ukraine hopes to go on the offensive.

So, however advanced they may be, doctrinally they’re not ideal.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1614438798783397888

the turn on your monitor of air defense

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1614522435545489410
https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1614537041446072320

kh-22s also exist in a quantum state of invincibility and utter obsolescence

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t want to say “relish”, but I find it interesting when Ukraine is struggling while trying to create a media narrative, given how ironclad the message discipline behind them is.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Go ukrane

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t want to say “relish”,

Burger

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

and the force of law!

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Dumbass probably think none of those nuke would be sold to terrorist or other such entity thus creating a much bigger problem.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Hey i posted a barely relevant thread, i know everyone just reads their bookmarked threads so i figured i'd post a link here. not especially relevant to the current war, but might still be of interest to some here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022008

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

maybe they expended all their means to shoot down missiles, so they could, but no longer can

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Warlords with ICBMs is more interesting than just some rear end in a top hat with water like in Mad Max.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ucraine & Corea forever

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The337th posted:

I hope everyone who ignored the advice about taking the mlmp bait feels a little silly after watching him go just as hard over fast food sandwiches as geopolitical minutae

You cannot be disciplined in great things and undisciplined in small things. Brave undisciplined men have no chance against the discipline and valor of other posters.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

Warlords with ICBMs is more interesting than just some rear end in a top hat with water like in Mad Max.

There was some F&F movie where they attack a Russian base but then go to great lengths to say it’s warlords that even the Russian government hates, so it’s legally distinct and is not an attack on Russia or Russian troops.

Then they fight a warlord submarine or something.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

There was some F&F movie where they attack a Russian base but then go to great lengths to say it’s warlords that even the Russian government hates, so it’s legally distinct and is not an attack on Russia or Russian troops.

Then they fight a warlord submarine or something.

Crimson Tide ?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Weka posted:

It doesn't particularly matter, because the comparison would imply that tank duels are really happening a lot. The likely, and boring, fate of a Western tank is to get hit with a mine or a suicide drone or some artillery somewhere behind the frontline. In all likelihood, it wouldn't blow up, but it would be out of action for weeks because they have to be repaired outside of Ukraine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

The New York Times has quoted several intelligence officials saying that almost of all of Arby's sandwiches are hot sandwiches

An anonymous pentagon official was quoted as saying Arbys is now so low on sandwich ingredients that they've had to purchase a hundred tons of cold cuts from North Korea.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I ignore this thread for less than a day and suddenly there are multiple pages about Arby's sandwiches

thats right

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DancingShade posted:

An anonymous pentagon official was quoted as saying Arbys is now so low on sandwich ingredients that they've had to purchase a hundred tons of cold cuts from North Korea.

i will eat the juche beef

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

i will eat the juche beef

US attempts to counter this move by advancing a project in South Korea, codename Okja.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Finally, nukes in the hands of people that truly deserve them: random assholes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

maduro's not that bad. I don't even mind the word 'maduro.' You know, it's, it's 'duro,' which is good. And a 'ma' in front of it. Ma-duro. When you consider the other choices, 'maduro' is actually pretty refreshing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Those KH-22 missiles Ukraine can't shoot down could well be KH-32 missiles, an identical from the outside modernized version that very well could be outside the capabilities of what they're using.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It doesn't particularly matter, because the comparison would imply that tank duels are really happening a lot. The likely, and boring, fate of a Western tank is to get hit with a mine or a suicide drone or some artillery somewhere behind the frontline. In all likelihood, it wouldn't blow up, but it would be out of action for weeks because they have to be repaired outside of Ukraine.

The difference is in how well it copes with those threats and in how well it performs it's purpose, ie breakthroughs.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Danann posted:

kh-22s also exist in a quantum state of invincibility and utter obsolescence

that Umberto Eco essay really did have an almost perfect insight into how these people think; it’s like a fractal, the same cognitive dissonance all the way up and down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
their military can’t even find identify the missiles and they want to shoot them down at 100% rate