Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

You should do a trial run of the commute at a less aggressive assist level. Accelerating from stops takes a lot of energy. Will you be able to charge at work?

I definitely plan on doing that, especially because the charger is $200. I figure I’ll toss it in my backpack for the first few trips. Charging at work won’t be an issue, I already keep one bike in my office for mid day rides, there’s room for one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Are the supply chains still hosed up or is it normal for a bunch of road bikes to be out of stock this time of year

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If anything there is too much stock. Lot of sales.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe it was just this price range that was affected then, I was looking at aluminum frames that use claris, sora, tiagra, or 105

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

Hardest part is getting the chain clean in the first place. I've been scrubbing them in the solvent tank at the shop, then putting it in a little jar of isopropyl alcohol and swirling it around and letting it soak for a bit, then rinsing, then drying with compressed air and letting hang dry for a bit before waxing.
Get a basic-rear end ultrasonic cleaner and a ziploc bag, job done.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Tested my cold weather gear today. Here's my poverty winter kit setup:
  • Shoes: New Balance 608 with Amazon Shoe Cover Things
  • Pants: thermal cycling tights from Amazon
  • Shirt: thermal base layer from Amazon
  • Outerwear: Baleaf thermal cycling set in red (this is what I bought just so I could go cycling in the cold); I got this for $30 because Baleaf had a year-end sale
  • Gloves: thermal cycling gloves from Amazon
  • Head covering: thermal balaclava from Amazon
  • Helmet: I think it's a Cannondale? I got it from the local bike shop.

I gathered most of that stuff before last winter, I think. I got the cycling tights, a matching jacket, and gloves so I could ride in the fall and spring; they're good down to about 50° or so. Maybe a tiny bit cooler. But during my ride, it was in the mid to upper 30s, and with my average speed, the wind chill on my body was around 27°. It was even cooler on the way down the trail, as there was a headwind coming off the river.

Great workout.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

brand engager posted:

Maybe it was just this price range that was affected then, I was looking at aluminum frames that use claris, sora, tiagra, or 105

I would say current stock and eta on bikes is better than it has been in about 2.5 years. We have caad optimos in about every size and I was looking up bikes for people today and kind of surprised at how much was available. The "I want this specific bike with these specific parts" thing is still kind of tricky but if you're not worried about whether it's a cannondale or trek or has tiagra or 105 or whatever most shops should be able to get you something in a pretty short timeframe if it's not on the floor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tarlibone posted:

Helmet: I think it's a Cannondale? I got it from the local bike shop.

If the balaclava isn’t enough, you can play with taping over vents with painter’s tape. Depending on the setup, that might push more wind down at your eyes. In 20F weather, the cold wind dries my eyes out too much and I benefit from ski goggles.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oakley also has the Wind Jacket with a foam strip over the brow to prevent your eyeballs from drying out.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LordOfThePants posted:

I definitely plan on doing that, especially because the charger is $200. I figure I’ll toss it in my backpack for the first few trips. Charging at work won’t be an issue, I already keep one bike in my office for mid day rides, there’s room for one more.

You know you don't have to blast around at 28mph right? It roughly twice the amount of power just to go from 23mph to 28mph.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

If the balaclava isn’t enough, you can play with taping over vents with painter’s tape. Depending on the setup, that might push more wind down at your eyes. In 20F weather, the cold wind dries my eyes out too much and I benefit from ski goggles.

I have heard about taping the vents, but it didn't occur to me. I wouldn't have had time to do it, though, since after the Special Olympics competition today (my son competes), I only had about an hour and a half of daylight left to ride. Thankfully, the balaclava was more than enough to keep my head warm. I did have to pull the mask part below my nose to avoid fogging my glasses, and I had to take it off my mouth when the condensation of my breath made it hard to breathe through the material.

It was a fun ride. At first, I felt a lot of wind coming through the outfit, and I was thinking, that's what I get for going with just a base layer. I was cold. But by the time I got to two miles, my body was making enough heat to keep me warm. After that, it was a lot more fun. There was no one on this bike path, although it's not used all that much. I did see over 20 deer in the first couple of miles, and a few miles later, I found a couple colonies of Canada gooses.

Ski Googles sound like a good idea for if it gets any colder. Thanks for the tip!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

evidence I'm not good enough at cycling

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been meaning to get one of the aeroshell covers for my lazer helmet. Poc also makes them but only for the racers and you can't buy them. I haven't ever felt the need for goggles while riding though, just big glasses seems to do it. Even road riding at like 25f.

The other day i was ski touring and was near the bottom and it was getting dark and i skied a pretty short distance not very fast without my sunglasses and that was pretty bad though. "why can't I see? gently caress. blink a few times!"

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

I've been meaning to get one of the aeroshell covers for my lazer helmet. Poc also makes them but only for the racers and you can't buy them. I haven't ever felt the need for goggles while riding though, just big glasses seems to do it. Even road riding at like 25f.

The other day i was ski touring and was near the bottom and it was getting dark and i skied a pretty short distance not very fast without my sunglasses and that was pretty bad though. "why can't I see? gently caress. blink a few times!"

Instead of an aeroshell, just rock a full aero helmet + visor. Warmer AND faster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

I haven't ever felt the need for goggles while riding though, just big glasses seems to do it. Even road riding at like 25f.

I only wear ever my prescription glasses, and they don't have enough coverage to block air. Still better than not wearing anything, given how many bugs have bounced off of them over the years.

I briefly considered getting prescription riding glasses, but I couldn't deal with the thought of not being able to put them up in my helmet.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

I only wear ever my prescription glasses, and they don't have enough coverage to block air. Still better than not wearing anything, given how many bugs have bounced off of them over the years.

I briefly considered getting prescription riding glasses, but I couldn't deal with the thought of not being able to put them up in my helmet.

Your solution is ALSO full aero helmet with visor

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Sticky Date posted:

I'm 40....I've gone back to uni to change careers, I have a wife and 2 kids. I've got a road bike and now a mountain bike. I just want to ride bikes every day.

same. i feel so stupid for not learning to ride one sooner.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If any of you are planning on taking a much lower paying job so you can ride bikes all the time make sure you can get back into your better paying profession when the novelty of where you can ride on your now limited budget wears off.

I enjoyed my 5 years living the low pay high mileage life but eventually the novelty wore off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EvilJoven posted:

If any of you are planning on taking a much lower paying job so you can ride bikes all the time make sure you can get back into your better paying profession when the novelty of where you can ride on your now limited budget wears off.

I enjoyed my 5 years living the low pay high mileage life but eventually the novelty wore off.

My goal is to be one of those 50-60 year old dudes cycling up independence pass from Aspen on their S-Works.

Seems like a good life tbqh.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I think you guys are spoilt, in the EU the assist cuts out at 15.5mph.
I have a strong prescription for my glasses, after today's ride I am seriously thinking of going back to contacts, my glasses fogged up on the hills leaving my blind to descend the down hills, and it was pouring with rain. I don't think a visor would stay fog free.
I retired just over a year ago, riding lots and loving it. Just hoping this recession doesn't mean I will have to return to working.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EvilJoven posted:

I think the secret is to at the same time re-locate to a southern European city where you can live more cheaply, and be near mountains.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya that'd be dope tell me where this place is and I'll see if I can talk my spouse and all the friends we don't want to leave behind into picking up and moving en masse. The novelty probably wouldn't have worn off quite as fast if I lived in a place where I could jump on a train and get to a different mountain to ride on my days off.

Apr 7, 2003

wooger posted:

I think the secret is to at the same time re-locate to a southern European city where you can live more cheaply, and be near mountains.

Mama mia!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Used to be super into bikes/commuted every day. I moved to a new town, started working from home, and stopped keeping up with brands.

I'm going to pick back up riding as there are some new bike roads near me now. I have an old BMC race master road bike - I'll use for now but am looking at the upgrades that weren't so common 10 years ago- disc brakes, electric shifting, etc were only on the highest of the high end then.

Not sure if/when I will replace, but if I do, is Cannondale still a legit brand? The Cannondale 700 U CAAD 13 DISC RIVAL AXS seems like a cool bike with lots of new features. Any other good options to consider around that 2-4k price point?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

mikemelbrooks posted:

I have a strong prescription for my glasses, after today's ride I am seriously thinking of going back to contacts, my glasses fogged up on the hills leaving my blind to descend the down hills, and it was pouring with rain. I don't think a visor would stay fog free.
I retired just over a year ago, riding lots and loving it. Just hoping this recession doesn't mean I will have to return to working.

Zeiss anti fog is really good- spray some on, clean, and you’ve got an hour or two of clear vision. Also good with masks.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

mikemelbrooks posted:

i've been looking at prescription cycling goggles. they're available in the uk, so i imagine you'd be able to get them where you are

wooger posted:

this is exactly what i'll be doing in october! i'll keep you all posted irt whether or not it works.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

bicievino posted:

Your solution is ALSO full aero helmet with visor

The perfect helmet for every occasion

An aero helmet is actually on my list of things to get for this road season but i'll prob just get a lazer vento.

Also there are a bunch of commuter style helmets out now with a visor. giro seems to have three different ones.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wanna ride my bike while looking like the bad guy from that Nick Cage movie that's basically top gun with helicopters but bad.

Also holy gently caress it's nice out but just crossing the street to go from one section of the forest to the other and my bike is filthy glad I didn't ride to the park.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i've been looking at prescription cycling goggles.

That doesn’t help with the rain collecting on the lenses part.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i've been looking at prescription cycling goggles. they're available in the uk, so i imagine you'd be able to get them where you are

I’d say contact are a better bet. Plus wearing a peaked cycling cap to keep some rain off any glasses you do wear.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this is exactly what i'll be doing in october! i'll keep you all posted irt whether or not it works.

Are you legally allowed to work there? Can you speak the language, or at least know some people there?

Girona is spectacularly nice place to live in, now almost a cliche due to all the pros that live there. I know a guy trying / being a cycling influencer there, living the life.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

EvilJoven posted:

]The novelty probably wouldn't have worn off quite as fast if I lived in a place where I could jump on a train and get to a different mountain to ride on my days off.

Legit, trains make cycling so much better. Don't need to do loops and can get to far more variety of terrain. It's a real privilege.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

tildes posted:

Zeiss anti fog is really good- spray some on, clean, and you’ve got an hour or two of clear vision. Also good with masks.
I have used rain X and fog X, but I just got caught out today, also on a group ride I got a lot of water and crap sprayed up.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

I am from the UK and my Glasses are Bolle anacondas
But my prescription is strong so they look like Coke Bottle Glasses, do you mean glasses or goggles? because I look stupid enough in glasses, road cycling in goggles is a step too far!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I'm trying to convince my wife to get off her rear end and get her EU citizenship paperwork in order so we can more easily exercise that option if we ever choose to without having to jump through all those hoops later.

In the meantime I just told her there's no way we're finishing the side of the basement with the floor drain because it was pretty great being able to hose off the slush in the middle of winter without having to do something weird like putting it in the shower.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

The perfect helmet for every occasion

An aero helmet is actually on my list of things to get for this road season but i'll prob just get a lazer vento.

Also there are a bunch of commuter style helmets out now with a visor. giro seems to have three different ones.

I just ordered a lazer vento for regular road use. It's definitely not going to be as fast as a real aero helmet (the lazer volante is quite well regarded, if you've got brand preference there), but hopefully is aight.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah but I don't want to look like a weirdo or anything, I'll take the mumu vento. That new giro is another option but it seems a bit more bulbous.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If anything there is too much stock. Lot of sales.

Eh, depends. I haven't found on a deal on a current model 56cm carbon race bike that I'm even remotely interested in.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

mikemelbrooks posted:

I have used rain X and fog X, but I just got caught out today, also on a group ride I got a lot of water and crap sprayed up.

Oh yeah, that it definitely won’t save you from

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Shoooes

The MX241s fit exactly the same as the road ones which is what I wanted. They're both mostly comfortable, and I didn't feel any hotspots after wearing them for half an hour, but my feet do push against the panels, and my big toes are a bit restricted.

The 242's have a more squared off toe box apparently, might see if I can go try those on somewhere nearby before I put cleats on these ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I did have to pull the mask part below my nose to avoid fogging my glasses, and I had to take it off my mouth when the condensation of my breath made it hard to breathe through the material.
This is a lesson so few brands seem to have internalized. You can't loving make a face mask with material over the nostrils/mouth, your users are literally going to loving choke.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

evidence I'm not good enough at cycling
If you're pushing the pedals you're good enough >:-|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

actually putting on bibs and riding in 20 F is a bridge too far. Maybe next year!

We've actually been having decent weather including ~55 F coming up on Wednesday but you can't really enjoy it without blowing work off in the winter.