Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LividLiquid posted:

though it took me until the last 15 minutes or so to remember that this was the plot of Balance of Terror. It had been a while.

Ha!

I clocked it was "Balance of Terror" when the wedding started since it's a pretty iconic TOS opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

No Dignity posted:

Say what you like about Threshold, but it's a very memorable episode
The great thing is, it gets directly referenced (and gently mocked) in Prodigy!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LividLiquid posted:

but I tapped out from the background radiation of sexism. I don't think Show Bad or anything. I just wasn't equipped to deal with that in the moment I tried to watch it.

Yeah, that'll come up in TOS. They did good with having a female bridge officer (and qualified officer of the watch) in Uhura, but the lows can be abysmal.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah TOS is interesting because its a show very ahead of its time, along with being a show very much OF its time as well

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Threshold is the Move Along Home of Voyager, which means it's good.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Laterite posted:

Threshold is the Move Along Home of Voyager, which means it's good.

They are the Sub Rosa of their respective series.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that'll come up in TOS. They did good with having a female bridge officer (and qualified officer of the watch) in Uhura, but the lows can be abysmal.

"Ha ha ha, you silly broad, women can't be captains. Now, move along toots and don't you go finding a body swaping machine or anything"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Nemesis gave the Federation a pretty good reason to abandon the no-cloak treaty. Firstly, the treaty has not guaranteed peace, the Romulans tried to nuke Earth. They don't act in good faith. Secondly, the only way to prevent such an attack is mutually assured destruction, ie the Federation needs cloaked ships with a planet nuke that it can send to Romulus in retaliation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurzon posted:

the Romulans tried to nuke Earth.

A Romulan-made clone successfully executed a coup, overthrowing the Romulan government, and took a ship crewed by Remans to try and nuke Earth. Romulans tried to stop him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As of Picard, the RSE no longer exists, so I wonder if the UFP has stopped adhering to the Treaty of Algeron

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Has anyone here ever gone to see any of the star trek themed bands? Like Stovo'kor the Klingon death metal band for example?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

As of Picard, the RSE no longer exists, so I wonder if the UFP has stopped adhering to the Treaty of Algeron

No, the Federation and the Romulan Free State are observing treaty obligations with each other, it was mentioned in season one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Has anyone here ever gone to see any of the star trek themed bands? Like Stovo'kor the Klingon death metal band for example?

Ann Magnusson (Admiral Clancy from Star Trek: Picard) used to be in a death metal band in the 80s called Vulcan Death Grip :eng101:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sheer loving badass.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just finished watching The Quality of Life for the first time.

a) baller-rear end episode.
b) wow I hate peanut hamper even more now YOU loving SHALLOW SELF-CENTERED BITCH YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO YOUR MECHANICAL SPECIES

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I remember watching the Vulcan Death Grip episode hoping someone said the words "death grips" because it would have been awesome but at the same time if they said those words specifically, I would have heard of it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Twincityhacker posted:

Also, Discovery is also worth a watch! It's not as objectively good, but I found it fun!

This poster is trying to trick you.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

8one6 posted:

This poster is trying to trick you.

I do, actually, like Discovery and recomend at least *trying* episode three of the first season to see if you like it. It dumps you in media res, and introduces you to the ship, the crew, and the mushroom superhighway.

It's not the best of the new shows, but I do think it's a worthy Star Trek show. I can't articulate quite why I'm enraptured with it, but I do love the Enginering Team ( and Doctor ) a lot, and the time loop episode - Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad - is one of my favorite episodes of television.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

No, the Federation and the Romulan Free State are observing treaty obligations with each other, it was mentioned in season one.

On the other hand, they also refer to the 'former' Neutral Zone, so at least some treaties have either been abandoned or renegotiated.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You cannot prove my legal name is Quark, who is Quark anyway, certainly not me.

The corporate entity QUARK: did not agree to create joinder with this baseball.

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 16, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Twincityhacker posted:

I do, actually, like Discovery and recomend at least *trying* episode three of the first season to see if you like it. It dumps you in media res, and introduces you to the ship, the crew, and the mushroom superhighway.

It's not the best of the new shows, but I do think it's a worthy Star Trek show. I can't articulate quite why I'm enraptured with it, but I do love the Enginering Team ( and Doctor ) a lot, and the time loop episode - Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad - is one of my favorite episodes of television.

I’ve been a Discovery defender pretty much since it’s inception, and I mostly agree with this. The caveat though is that the show feels largely listless now and has always had a real problem finding its voice and taking full advantage of whatever setting its been in, whether it was pre-TOS or now in the far future.

I still mostly like it and it’s definitely Trek, but very much in the Voyager mold where it just kind of exists and has good moments and fun characters now and then but never really has anything to say as a whole. I keep hoping it’ll one day fully embrace it’s Weird Science elements or really explore a character other than Saru and Burnham, but we’re about to hit season 5 and that’s still yet to happen, so :shrug:

I feel like it’s destined to end up like Enterprise (or the aforementioned Voyager), where most of the interesting elements and aspects it teases are going to be remain half-baked or set aside for less interesting ideas.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Discovery has a lot of things to like about it but it constantly squanders those things.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Doug Jones as Saru is the one consistently good thing about Discovery. And Michelle Yeoh hamming it up as Empress Georgiou.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/portalrealm/status/1613595662595014657?s=46&t=ws5xkjfab1PiwXNdHTTuSg

https://twitter.com/portalrealm/status/1613595884289392640?s=46&t=ws5xkjfab1PiwXNdHTTuSg

https://twitter.com/trekcomic/status/1613731642870493189?s=46&t=pWSd0x-dWcTHOa76JI0ywQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gonz posted:

And Michelle Yeoh hamming it up as Empress Georgiou.

She popped up in the most recent Rifftrax VOD, In the Line of Duty 2: The Super Cops.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Just got to threshholds in my rewatch of Voyager and lmao

Its a shame they never did a voyager movie wrath of kan style where those lizard children come back

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ups_rail posted:

Its a shame they never did a voyager movie wrath of kan style where those lizard children come back

Cold open on the CPS office of the Voth mothership.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been a Discovery defender pretty much since it’s inception, and I mostly agree with this. The caveat though is that the show feels largely listless now and has always had a real problem finding its voice and taking full advantage of whatever setting its been in, whether it was pre-TOS or now in the far future.

I still mostly like it and it’s definitely Trek, but very much in the Voyager mold where it just kind of exists and has good moments and fun characters now and then but never really has anything to say as a whole. I keep hoping it’ll one day fully embrace it’s Weird Science elements or really explore a character other than Saru and Burnham, but we’re about to hit season 5 and that’s still yet to happen, so :shrug:

I feel like it’s destined to end up like Enterprise (or the aforementioned Voyager), where most of the interesting elements and aspects it teases are going to be remain half-baked or set aside for less interesting ideas.

I've never been able to psych myself up to do a full watch of the show, but I really like Tig Notaro as Jett Reno. And is it just me or does anyone else think her character and actor names should be swapped? Tig Notaro sound way more "Star Trekky" than Jett Reno.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

On the other hand, they also refer to the 'former' Neutral Zone, so at least some treaties have either been abandoned or renegotiated.

It makes some sense that the new state didn't manage to hold on to the full territory, so the former neutral zone was no longer in the border and so didn't make sense.

But yeah, it's the Picard show writing, it's just inconsistent rubbish.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Everyone posted:

I've never been able to psych myself up to do a full watch of the show, but I really like Tig Notaro as Jett Reno. And is it just me or does anyone else think her character and actor names should be swapped? Tig Notaro sound way more "Star Trekky" than Jett Reno.

Shame that her character has the same problem than almost all support characters and many main characters that are not-Burnham suffer, she is barely in the show.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
She had some really fun interviews on the official trek podcast a few years ago about how she is absolutely terrible at techno-babble. I would love to see the outtakes.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Der Kyhe posted:

Shame that her character has the same problem than almost all support characters and many main characters that are not-Burnham suffer, she is barely in the show.

yeah, that's the main distinction between Discovery and Picard for me -- Discovery has a lot of characters and plot threads and setting elements I'd love to see more of but they get a criminally tiny amount of screen time because the writers don't know how to pace a season, while Picard (especially S2) was full of superfluous background stuff that just slid right off me

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everyone posted:

Honestly, Jett Reno sounds like a character I'd expect to find in the Star Wars universe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Admiralty Flag posted:

Honestly, Jett Reno sounds like a character I'd expect to find in the Star Wars universe.

Luke Skywalker. Han Solo. Jett Reno. The pattern does fit. Though figure in Star Wars Jett Reno would some kind of brash male starfight pilot or again male smuggler instead of a badass lesbian engineer.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm a glutton for star trek punishment and I still had to quit Picard halfway through season 1, and discovery after season 2, and everything I've heard about the subsequent seasons just reaffirms to me that I made the right call.

I also just hate how ugly all the streaming star trek live action shows are. Like they're technically well executed, but they look so ugly. The ships look ugly, the interiors look ugly, the lighting looks ugly, it all just looks ugly, even SNW which i really really like, is hampered by the same ugly look.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DISCO's characters are its strength tbh, I like all of them. It's just that I don't think the writers really know what to do with them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I temporarily gave up on Disco in the early 3rd season, so I've yet to find out if they're finally giving the pilot actress who's been shaving half her head for them for three seasons something worth her time. One day I'll find out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think that’s what disappoints me most about Disco - the cast and characters would make a wonderful ensemble show.

Do I want to see Burnham punch the bad guy and save the Federation for the sixth time? No. I want to see Stamets and Adira track down a malfunctioning doohickey on the ship while Saru has to weasel out of a diplomatic mishap.

Luckily we get exactly that in SNW and its great cast, but man are the Disco characters wasted.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the problem with Discovery (at least one of them!) is that it started off with a Main Character in season 1. It wasn't an ensemble show like most Star Trek shows and wasn't interested in developing most characters that weren't Burnham, Saru, Lorca or Stamets, mostly. It's moved into giving the other characters more to do in later seasons, but it's still focused on Burnham too much.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

davidspackage posted:

I temporarily gave up on Disco in the early 3rd season, so I've yet to find out if they're finally giving the pilot actress who's been shaving half her head for them for three seasons something worth her time. One day I'll find out.

Good news, your favorite character is now deep and humanized! We added [ANGER] and [GRIEF] to their character traits. They will now mention these traits in every scene they are in [1]. Be sure to catch us next season, Boldly Go, Star Trek Fan…!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm so tired of Galaxy Level Stakes.

The jump to the future and the burn was the perfect time to retool to a show about rebuilding the Federation, but they don't trust themselves with the premise without having an overarching plot that includes a galactic threat.

A fractured Federation that's rediscovering easy interstellar travel after a long time of isolation is premise enough. We don't need to destroy planets and nephews of main characters to create pathos and stakes.