Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spangly A posted:

nothing happened because officially the prorogation never happened, it was removed from the records after the supreme court said the government could either go back to work or Labour would be in charge of the country and passing whatever bills they wanted to, completely unopposed. If the same thing happened here it would be the government overruling scottish parliament and the courts saying "no you arent" and the government pretending they didn't even try it. Which is probably exactly what will happen

the system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thinking about it there would be no better way for the UK to fall apart than with a needless battle against trans rights.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Spangly A posted:

The Scottish exec is the administrator of the majority of parliamentary authority, and the only body that gets a say on the matter, according to Westminster itself.

Going "nuh uh" is a constitutional crisis because the UK government is going against parliamentary supremacy by totally ignoring the devolved areas set out by Westminster

westminster can simply say 'nah, what we said about who has that authority doesn't matter now that the evil trans people are involved'

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thinking about it there would be no better way for the UK to fall apart than with a needless battle against trans rights.

inshallah, the scottish people will free themselves from the madness

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

atelier morgan posted:

westminster can simply say 'nah, what we said about who has that authority doesn't matter now that the evil trans people are involved'

Literally yes, the act granting Scotland its parliament has this clause

quote:

Power to intervene in certain cases.

(1)If a Bill contains provisions—

(a)which the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds to believe would be incompatible with any international obligations or the interests of defence or national security, or

(b)which make modifications of the law as it applies to reserved matters and which the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds to believe would have an adverse effect on the operation of the law as it applies to reserved matters,

he may make an order prohibiting the Presiding Officer from submitting the Bill for Royal Assent.

(2)The order must identify the Bill and the provisions in question and state the reasons for making the order.

(3)The order may be made at any time during—

(a)the period of four weeks beginning with the passing of the Bill,

(b)any period of four weeks beginning with any F1... approval of the Bill in accordance with standing orders made by virtue of section 36(5),

(c)if a reference is made in relation to the Bill under section [F232A(2)(b) or] 33, the period of four weeks beginning with the reference being decided or otherwise disposed of by the [F3Supreme Court].

(4)The Secretary of State shall not make an order in relation to a Bill if he has notified the Presiding Officer that he does not intend to do so, unless the Bill has been approved as mentioned in subsection (3)(b) since the notification.

(5)An order in force under this section at a time when such approval is given shall cease to have effect.

They make up some poo poo about accessing women only spaces or cross-border services and it's off to the races.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The first country to collapse from being terminally online

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
poo poo wrong thread

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Jan 16, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NorthumbriaIWW/status/1614690987145576453?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

namesake posted:

Literally yes, the act granting Scotland its parliament has this clause

They make up some poo poo about accessing women only spaces or cross-border services and it's off to the races.

LOL owned.

Very embarrassing for Scotland

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
bought and sold for English gold

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The origin story of Scottish subjugation is also pretty funny, the Scottish ruling class basically sold the country to England to pay off their debts from failing to do an imperialism by building a colony without access to drinking water

Maybe this isn't accurate but it is funny so it's true

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's fairly accurate, Scottish elites were bigger on the whole UK project than the English. It wasn't popular among the population as a whole.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/NetworkRailWssx/status/1614911991671394306

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
More mud for the mud god

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
liquefied mud is a euphemism

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought all mud was liquified

Otherwise it's just dirt right

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

That's not mud

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anyone heard from Cumshitter lately?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the uk is shilling and farthing over there

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1614946482544644098

First accused in 2001, work nickname was bastard Dave

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Jan 16, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

A senior officer said his offending was "unprecedented in policing".
:thunk:

quote:

Assistant Commissioner Barbara Gray, the Met's lead for professionalism, said: "We should have spotted his pattern of abusive behaviour and because we didn't, we missed opportunities to remove him from the organisation."
. . .
"We have been clear, there is no place in our police forces for officers who fall so seriously short of the acceptable standards of behaviour and are not fit to wear the uniform."

it sounds like there was a place for a very long time. How strange

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
drat institutional corruption in the met, who would have even imagined.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s not just our coastline which is turning into a brown slurry

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is actually genious, they're making the entire country into a spawning ground for the famous disgusting british eel, upon whom the majority of their economy is reliant on.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

keep punching joe posted:

It's fairly accurate, Scottish elites were bigger on the whole UK project than the English. It wasn't popular among the population as a whole.

Imperialism is funny like this.

Scotland wants to break away and have say over own future - British Gov "No, your ancestors made agreements which are clearly iron clad, you have to abide by decisions made hundreds of years ago"

India/Caribbean/Kenya etc wants reparations for awful abuses sustained over decades under British rule - British Gov "You can't blame us for things which happened before our time"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

The origin story of Scottish subjugation is also pretty funny, the Scottish ruling class basically sold the country to England to pay off their debts from failing to do an imperialism by building a colony without access to drinking water

Maybe this isn't accurate but it is funny so it's true

I think they had water as there was a river close to the settlement. But they also were totally unprepared for malaria. 10 deaths a day at one point, for a colony of 1500 at its peak lol. The actual funny part is that when they abandoned the first attempt the English refused to allow the ship to stop in Jamaica on the urging of the King of Scotland lol

"The Company of Scotland was backed by approximately 20% of all the money circulating in Scotland" lol some sources sat it could be as much as 40%.

It's hilarious Scotland is wedded to this fetid union because a bunch of nobles & booj bankrupted themselves & the country. I can't find how small the electorate was for Scottish Parliament seats. 100 years after Union the turnout for the Inverness-shire seat was 32 though so I can't imagine it being much more than 100 voters in 1702

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1615005120034381825

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a thousand bad apples

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What about all the cops that aren't raping people? Why do we never hear about them?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

prestige mystery about a brilliant, handsome detective solving the murder of the week, while struggling with his addiction to sex crimes

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dexter Fletcher as a sex abuser cop who hunts down and rapes other rapist cops.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what's going on with all the raw sewage everywhere? were there sewage barons just itching to dump raw sewage everywhere but they were foiled by those blasted EU rules all those years?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've checked, it's not my posts

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
turn on your monitor

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

spankmeister posted:

what's going on with all the raw sewage everywhere? were there sewage barons just itching to dump raw sewage everywhere but they were foiled by those blasted EU rules all those years?

pretty much yeah

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Private Speech posted:

pretty much yeah

I think there were also some import troubles, but since they got away with it they don't bother anymore.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

spankmeister posted:

it's actually because the english can't stop making GBS threads themselves

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

spankmeister posted:

it saves a rich person some money, op

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

going by US stats, that means the Met (?) has like 2500 officers, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Private Speech posted:

a thousand bad apples

i can't believe the bunch spoiled when there were bad apples in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mark immune posted:

going by US stats, that means the Met (?) has like 2500 officers, right?

That's officers and staff, of which it has about 43 thousand, so clearly there are many more yet to discover.