Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Olpainless posted:

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the occasional AFK death knight (and it always seems to be death knights at the moment?)
I can't figure out why anyone would AFK grind or Control Warrior / Priest grind any more when Mercenaries exits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

NorgLyle posted:

I can't figure out why anyone would AFK grind or Control Warrior / Priest grind any more when Mercenaries exits.

Because you have an entire legion of idiots whose entire raison d'etre is to wear never interacting with Mercenaries like some kind of twisted badge of pride. You most often seem them in the wild on Reddit, of course.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

NorgLyle posted:

This post made me realize I haven't run into any Odd Warrior exp bots in Casual Wild in a long time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

all the Wild bots updated to Even Shaman/Pirate Rogue, because it's just a step above armor up+pass in ease of play, and can actually win games, and winning gives more XP/hour.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

AnacondaHL posted:

all the Wild bots updated to Even Shaman/Pirate Rogue, because it's just a step above armor up+pass in ease of play, and can actually win games, and winning gives more XP/hour.

This. Even Shaman especially is so easy to pilot for a bot.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

AnacondaHL posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks! Don't see a lot of Pirate Rogue anymore, but this explains the popularity of cheap and easy Even Shaman vs. better Even Shaman builds.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Olpainless posted:

This. Even Shaman especially is so easy to pilot for a bot.

questionable; I see a lot of really stupid bots playing the 0 cost buff spells on empty boards

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Navaash posted:

Because you have an entire legion of idiots whose entire raison d'etre is to wear never interacting with Mercenaries like some kind of twisted badge of pride. You most often seem them in the wild on Reddit, of course.
I mean, Mercenaries is not good and I deeply regret being one of the people stupid enough to buy a bundle of Mercenaries packs on launch day but the ability to grind out easy experience for single player at least partially makes up for the complete clownshow of the 'actual' mode. Never play Mercenaries.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don’t hate mercenaries anymore exactly.

It’s an okay fgo clone. Unfortunately fgo and it’s ilk main selling point is completely tilted towards the story. Hearthstone visual novel when.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Had a shaman in arena play tiny toys and get deathbringer saurfang, two overlord runthak, and taelan fordring

Yeah I didn't win that game

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I know right now is not a great time to play Arena given how even more absurdly lopsided the class balance is, but I guess I'm demented, and really, it's all I care to play. I've been kind of chasing a DK draft that stomps, just so I can experience that from the other side for once.

I finally got one with a good curve, Blightfang and a natural copy of The Scourge, which I hadn't had a chance to play ever...aaaand I bombed out at 7-3. One loss because of an unstoppable, even nuttier DK deck annihilated me by Turn 6. Other two, quite close games, I played The Scourge and it was literally worse than passing my turn because in one game I spawned Ticking Abomination that instantly cleared my entire generated board, and then the second game a bunch of one/two drops like Zombie Chow and two copies of the 2/2 4-drop that has a deathrattle 'Summon a 5/5 Bone Giant for your opponent' :gonk:

Give me what my opponents get, Blizzard, like 8/8 taunts and the 5/6 lifesteal taunt and auto-attacks past my taunt for lethal in an otherwise locked out game. Also I've not been offered Malignant Horror in any of my 10 drafts, and that seems like bullshit considering every DK past 4 wins has one or several.

I feel reluctant to call it a skill issue given I used to be a consistent high leaderboard player, but it doesn't really seem to matter what I draft: I'm pretty much hard capped at 8 wins this patch with DK or any other class. Best I've gone is 10. Maybe I'm drafting incorrectly, but it just feels like at high wins, opponent decks are just unstoppable nightmares.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I keep chasing the high of that one time I got offered triple blood DK with four malignant horrors

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

I mean, Mercenaries is not good and I deeply regret being one of the people stupid enough to buy a bundle of Mercenaries packs on launch day but the ability to grind out easy experience for single player at least partially makes up for the complete clownshow of the 'actual' mode. Never play Mercenaries.

While I don't regret buying the starter bundle on the first day, I am deeply embarrassed that I was excited for the mode and believed that it would get major improvements over time. Two years later and we've got a lot more mercs that don't have any purpose to use and a few dozen boss encounters that are only fun once, if at all.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jeza posted:

I know right now is not a great time to play Arena given how even more absurdly lopsided the class balance is, but I guess I'm demented, and really, it's all I care to play. I've been kind of chasing a DK draft that stomps, just so I can experience that from the other side for once.

I finally got one with a good curve, Blightfang and a natural copy of The Scourge, which I hadn't had a chance to play ever...aaaand I bombed out at 7-3. One loss because of an unstoppable, even nuttier DK deck annihilated me by Turn 6. Other two, quite close games, I played The Scourge and it was literally worse than passing my turn because in one game I spawned Ticking Abomination that instantly cleared my entire generated board, and then the second game a bunch of one/two drops like Zombie Chow and two copies of the 2/2 4-drop that has a deathrattle 'Summon a 5/5 Bone Giant for your opponent' :gonk:

Give me what my opponents get, Blizzard, like 8/8 taunts and the 5/6 lifesteal taunt and auto-attacks past my taunt for lethal in an otherwise locked out game. Also I've not been offered Malignant Horror in any of my 10 drafts, and that seems like bullshit considering every DK past 4 wins has one or several.

I feel reluctant to call it a skill issue given I used to be a consistent high leaderboard player, but it doesn't really seem to matter what I draft: I'm pretty much hard capped at 8 wins this patch with DK or any other class. Best I've gone is 10. Maybe I'm drafting incorrectly, but it just feels like at high wins, opponent decks are just unstoppable nightmares.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat.. my very first DK draft was the easiest 12-0 run I've ever had.. did it all in like 90 minutes. I had a natural copy of the scourge that I think I played once in entire run, and other than that it was a bunch of the discover cards that generated other good cards. After that high I've been shut out of getting past 8 wins with any class.. and I've had a few 1-3 or 0-3 decks which I initially thought were good for atleast 4 or 5 wins.

I haven't played that many drafts, maybe 15-20 in total over the last month.. but still, it's quite miserable paying the 150 gold and not getting DK, or even worse getting DK and then getting scammed in the draft and that feeling of doom setting in when you realize you have no game breaking cards.

I really hope this upcoming patch they have announced addresses this stuff, but I kind of doubt it will do much more than standard balance changes..

**the one draft I had that went 0-3 I remember well because it was (what I thought) was going to be a super fun deck with Shudderwock, Bolner Hammerbeak and Krag'wa the Frog that I stacked with other battlecry cards and some decent Shaman spells and I though it was going to be good for atleast a few sick turns.. well as it turns out I never got to play Shudderwock or Krag'wa the Frog and I the 3 games I lost were incredible scams.. what was most memorable about the run was it reinforced my theory that the game tracks when you get cheated in an arena run and offers you a consolation prize because somehow I got 50 gold + my pack for going 0-3 and the pack had 2 legendaries and 2 epic cards in it lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I haven't touched Mercenaries since I hit the wall of "progression isn't super fast anymore", but is there even like an evolving meta or anything? It seemed like from the little bits of things I read that the early meta got solved very quickly, and it doesn't seem like anything has been done to shake things up, or is multiplayer just completely pointless to play?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

enki42 posted:

I haven't touched Mercenaries since I hit the wall of "progression isn't super fast anymore", but is there even like an evolving meta or anything? It seemed like from the little bits of things I read that the early meta got solved very quickly, and it doesn't seem like anything has been done to shake things up, or is multiplayer just completely pointless to play?

The meta does shift as they introduce new mercs and buff old ones. The downside of that approach is that the power creep is significant and most comps rely on more recent mercs (looking at you Khadgar and Nemsy).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, the content release schedule means the meta gets really static for big chunks of the year. It's an interesting space to play around in, but look at what's happened with the mode since the coin update in November that made me finally walk away from the mode. They added Rattlegore and Chromie, who have interesting designs but aren't really part of any builds that would impact. And... that's literally it. So the meta is still shaped by all the same absurd stat-buff strategies and all the same sources of stupid amounts of speed-cheating they always have to design around because they're never going to nerf anything, and it's just really old.

(Also the top of the leaderboard is always going to be dominated by bots, because if you constantly play nonstop you're going to make a net positive amount of rank and they don't care enough to either change the system or play whack-a-mole with bots. So it's just a weird time in general.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rattlegore is part of a very crazy build that gets 5 Mercs on the field. It's losing strength in the current meta but it absolutely ate up the Arcane bots.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Battlegrounds patch notes: https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23892225/25-2-patch-notes

Also the Lunar New Year special questline will only award Battlegrounds hero portraits, and Heroic Tavern Brawl is coming back and this time they're adding a new hero portrait as incentive to spend your money/gold on it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So I guess there’s no constructed balance patch this week?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So I guess there’s no constructed balance patch this week?

lol just a heroic brawl for people to blow 1k gold on right before the mini set releases

don't do the heroic brawleseum unless you are top 100 legend people, it is the biggest waste of gold you can spend in the entire game.. well maybe slightly better than buying mercenaries packs

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 17, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Starsfan posted:

lol just a heroic brawl for people to blow 1k gold on right before the mini set releases

don't do the heroic brawleseum unless you are top 100 legend people, it is the biggest waste of gold you can spend in the entire game.. well maybe slightly better than buying mercenaries packs

but they locked a hero skin (Scarlet, DK) behind a 3+win in the upcoming heroic brawliseum

I am unreasonably mad about this

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Excelzior posted:

but they locked a hero skin (Scarlet, DK) behind a 3+win in the upcoming heroic brawliseum

I am unreasonably mad about this

Yeah I mean I guess if you value a hero portrait (which typically go for 1k gold plus in the shop) then take a shot at it, but my recommendation is 1 and done on that front lol.. don't go back to that well trying to hit that 3 win threshold. I've watched very strong legend players on stream play this thing in the past and struggle to get to 3 wins..

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I was considering having a go until I remembered it's 1000 gold per entry, not 100 lol.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
I almost don't hate a hero skin as a value add for heroic brawliseum, but locking it behind three wins (and the usual 1000 gold price right before the miniset) feels real scummy. At least they're giving us a quest to make up for this week's pack

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I really want to hear the super genius explanation for no constructed balance changes. This format is garbo and has been for over a month.

I hate complaints about class favoritism because it’s usually bullshit, but it really does seem like Rogue gets consistently more rope than just about any other class.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2023

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

victorious posted:

I was considering having a go until I remembered it's 1000 gold per entry, not 100 lol.

Not to mention you need around 10 wins at least to make it worth it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

bravesword posted:

I really want to hear the super genius explanation for no constructed balance changes. This format is garbo and has been for over a month.

I hate complaints about class favoritism because it’s usually bullshit, but it really does seem like Rogue gets consistently more rope than just about any other class.

I don’t disagree with you but, honestly, it feels worse in the inverse. When was the last time Warrior was playable…at all? Priest had one archetype (that was p bullshit but v hard to play) and that got nerfed into the ground.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Sandwolf posted:

I don’t disagree with you but, honestly, it feels worse in the inverse. When was the last time Warrior was playable…at all? Priest had one archetype (that was p bullshit but v hard to play) and that got nerfed into the ground.

Warrior was far and away the best class during Sunken City.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

bravesword posted:

Warrior was far and away the best class during Sunken City.

Also enrage Warrior was perfectly viable during nathria

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Sandwolf posted:

The root problem is they are unwilling to address outliers for long periods of time.

And related to that is that they seem unwilling to recognize that the amount of support they give to an archetype has a direct effect on the decks performance.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think the Colossals are very instructive on the point of what makes the game fun and what makes the game not fun:

fun - playing a powerful, game turning card at an appropriate mana cost (and you know, related to that - an appropriate stage of the match). Many of the Colossals are very popular and successful cards with a high rate of inclusion in meta decks.

not fun - games decided by Neptulon appearing on turn 2 or 3. the concept of people cheating out Colossals for reduced mana early in the game when the opponent has limited ways to counter.

Just start designing the game around certain benchmark cards and effects only being available at certain times of the game. Not many people have major issues with Astalor despite his high inclusion rate because his game winning effect only works on turn 10 outside of druid shenanigans and people are alright with that. If there was a way to cheat it out on turn 5 or 6 it would suck rear end.

I realize that many people will disagree on what is fun, but the fact of the matter is the decks that the majority of people seem to have the biggest problems with are the ones that feature predominantly mana cheating effects like Big Spell Mage when it was tier 1 and the various (many) forms of rogue fuckery... and not just mana cheating effects as in playing out more cards than you should be able to based on their mana costs on a certain turn (although taken to an extreme that certainly has been an issue with various forms of quest DH and the sinstone rogue card specifically), but playing cards with potentially game winning effects earlier in the game than you should be able to based on their mana cost. If they could get that element out of the game I think it would go a long way to smoothing things over.

**one of the prime examples of this I can remember of what I'm trying to explain was that Paladin cheese deck from scholomance where they released that 4 mana paladin legendary that had spellburst: cast a spell from your deck and people used it to cast the 10 mana summon a board full of murlocs spell on turn 4 with the coin. The deck was below 50% win rate when going 1st and above 60% when going 2nd.. It was recognized that this was not something that should exist in the game and the deck was killed off.. but it's alright for rogue to have 2 copies of a card that casts a spell for 0 and you don't even have to build your deck around it? completely asinine.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 17, 2023

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Just start designing the game around certain benchmark cards and effects only being available at certain times of the game. Not many people have major issues with Astalor despite his high inclusion rate because his game winning effect only works on turn 10 outside of druid shenanigans and people are alright with that. If there was a way to cheat it out on 5 or 6 mana it would suck rear end.

I think being able to duplicate/copy Astalor has been an issue as well. Shadowstepping Astalor is often gamewinning for rogues

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They just need a dim view on anything that allows duplication of things that are otherwise deck limited.

Discover is the main culprit (With the comedy of some DK lists being like 70% cards that let you Discover past limits - And ignoring their own Rune system) but also Brann (because he’s just duplicating for 3 in the same play) and anything that generates more copies of a Legendary you already have. Problem is, you can’t change it to something like ‘Not in your deck’ when it comes to that, or people will find ways to only not include 3 specific cards so they always get them. Zola only doesn’t make this cut because she does the same thing, but still costs twice the manner - You could argue she’s the ‘fair’ version of Brann.

Again though - I can accept that’s just my taste in design, and Team 5 clearly do not share it - They (presumably, driven by the effects on revenue) want big swingy things every turn, and all the various Mana Cheat / Discover shenanigans support that.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The meta has been unfun and unpatched for such a long time that I actually took the time to check out Marvel Snap and it's been much more fun than I expected. Great job blizzard, I would probably have skipped over this fun game if not for your incompetence.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Oenis posted:

The meta has been unfun and unpatched for such a long time that I actually took the time to check out Marvel Snap and it's been much more fun than I expected. Great job blizzard, I would probably have skipped over this fun game if not for your incompetence.

After seeing Regis's video where he spent $2K on Snap to collect all of the stuff I lost interest. There's a lot wrong with HS, but you can get a complete standard collection for less than $2K.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mayveena posted:

After seeing Regis's video where he spent $2K on Snap to collect all of the stuff I lost interest. There's a lot wrong with HS, but you can get a complete standard collection for less than $2K.

They have completely different payment philosophies. Snap is a game where you're not meant to drop money to get stuff and it overvalues that stuff as a result. It's a game where you slowly collect the same collection as everyone else and make do.

I also highly recommend Marvel Snap, it's quick, it's fun, it's designed for mobile, and incidentally, it's the only card game I can personally build decks in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sandwolf posted:

They have completely different payment philosophies. Snap is a game where you're not meant to drop money to get stuff and it overvalues that stuff as a result. It's a game where you slowly collect the same collection as everyone else and make do.

I also highly recommend Marvel Snap, it's quick, it's fun, it's designed for mobile, and incidentally, it's the only card game I can personally build decks in.

I think you will find a lot of people are not interested in having the game doled out to them in a drip, especially when you can RNG into not having the counters for popular decks you will face.

It is certainly a different philosophy, and not one for everyone.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toshimo posted:

I think you will find a lot of people are not interested in having the game doled out to them in a drip, especially when you can RNG into not having the counters for popular decks you will face.

It is certainly a different philosophy, and not one for everyone.

alternatively, I've been playing Hearthstone for years and have never, ever, ever been able to afford more than two decent meta decks at a time (I am poor)

e; not saying one is better or worse, just different. and if you're frustrated with the current meta of HS, why not give this other f2p, supported (rip gwent) DCG a try

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I prefer hearthstone's revenue model to snap's. But snap's simultaneous turns are just amazing. I never wanna play a turn taking card game online again. I'd love to see snap ripoffs with more deckbuilding restrictions and tags.