Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

SirPablo posted:

You sure that's enough?

Just get rid of Ed.

Fire them as in put them into a fire.

Scatter the ashes to the 4 corners of the earth and send one into space just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh?

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1614830296460939266?s=46&t=pM_xYMF7Xbe00ZbFu5G4Xg

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What's out there in the vein of a mobile QB offensive mastermind?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Michael Vick has been reported to be wanting to get into coaching for quite some time.

What's Brad Childress up to? He did fun stuff with Donovan McNabb like 20 years ago. :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Danny LaFever posted:

One thing that keeps leaking out is players and insiders going with the same trope "Dan is not a meat head jock, he's really in tune with the modern offense. He understands it well and learned a lot under Payton."

Yeah this is honestly one of my favorite things about Campbell, he is executing this idiot meathead bit to unreal levels. Like that interview where he pretended to have no idea the Sewell play was going to be called or work and people ate it up. He’s one of my favorite NFL personalities atm.

Also lol that we’ve had like 2 pages of MCDC chat and Staley is still employed

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Gus Malzahn could probably be had if you wanted him bad enough even though the shine has worn off there :shrug:

Yeah not a lot of NFL comps going on here, the Ravens are just their own thing for better or worse.

e: get the dude from Wake Forest who has them do like five second meshes on every read option that's also an RPO.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 16, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You could make this bet about every coach hired this cycle and make good money. The average tenure of an NFL head coach is 3.3 years. Most guys who get hired will get fired within the timeframe you provided.

Nobody knows what makes a good head coaching candidate. It’s a gamble and teams are going to gamble on guys who have proven to have some success coaching the most important part of the game. You can say “ah, teams should hire good coordinators with a few years under the belt at that level” but those guys barely exist anymore because they get hired after a year or two.

To give an example, the hires of 4 years ago:

Joe Judge, Mike McCarthy, Matt Rhule, Ron Rivera, Kevin Stefanski

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Kalli posted:

To give an example, the hires of 4 years ago:

Joe Judge, Mike McCarthy, Matt Rhule, Ron Rivera, Kevin Stefanski

It's wild to see McCarthy was probably the best of that sad bunch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe teams shouldn't keep literally hiring the same guy

Why can't we get one of those muscle coaches everyone keeps talking about

Although I've always believed gus Malzahn would be fantastic in Chicago. He would embrace scoring on nothing but stupid weird broken plays and absolutely rattle other teams

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1615029929296396296?t=ZDHnGII9FBNzUY-cRlhNag&s=19

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1615022131342983168?t=jBaWjmugEZSTrrreSYpJDQ&s=19

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I mean at this point it would almost be funny if Ballard interviewed literally every prominent candidate and Irsay still went with Saturday

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grittybeard posted:

Gus Malzahn could probably be had if you wanted him bad enough even though the shine has worn off there :shrug:

Yeah not a lot of NFL comps going on here, the Ravens are just their own thing for better or worse.

e: get the dude from Wake Forest who has them do like five second meshes on every read option that's also an RPO.

I think the next step for the Ravens offense is incorporating a Shanahan style passing offense (Bootlegs, screens, heavy play action, etc.) into there run heavy scheme. Building that on top of the run game is what Roman has consistently failed to do the past two years. In theory there are plenty of people with the background to fill this role. The trick is finding one that doesn't suck.

I doubt there's any truth to Mike McDaniel getting fired in Miami but that would be the ideal hire.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Would there be any Rooney rule issues with retaining Saturday, or did they cover their bases already?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Maigius posted:

Would there be any Rooney rule issues with retaining Saturday, or did they cover their bases already?

The Colts have interviewed Evero, Beienemy, and Raheem Morris (amongst a bunch of other white guys). They're well covered as far as that goes.

Now if they interview all those guys and still stick with Saturday...well. Just welp.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1615035728471429123?t=rnejct1eCWszvpfcX5z_PA&s=19

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

you could do worse than picking up Ken Niumatalolo

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The NFL really needs to institute some sort of coach hiring/interview freeze until after the playoffs are over.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Another Colts thing:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1615029929296396296

e: And Mike Kafka. The Colts are interviewing the hell out of people.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hizawk posted:

The NFL really needs to institute some sort of coach hiring/interview freeze until after the playoffs are over.

Yeah. Current system is totally ridiculous.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

I always wondered how this all works with coordinators whose teams are in the playoffs. I think I heard somewhere that HC interviews average something like eight hours in length, but if that's true, a coordinator with a lot of interviews scheduled wouldn't have any time to spend with his team or prep for the next game.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you have to make sure your coaches aren't too good. i love the strategy of football

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ballard interviewing everyone and everyone and going to Irsay like "please look at all these guys and pick one and not Saturday for the love of God"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Some coaches will allow their coordinators all the freedom to pursue HC opportunities.

https://twitter.com/rydunleavy/status/1615033582074105856?s=61&t=Fst4f0a-fkykAW9jKaqmcw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Lighter posted:

I always wondered how this all works with coordinators whose teams are in the playoffs. I think I heard somewhere that HC interviews average something like eight hours in length, but if that's true, a coordinator with a lot of interviews scheduled wouldn't have any time to spend with his team or prep for the next game.

I would imagine/hope it's more of a touch bases type of thing that lasts an hour or so if you've got a bunch of them lined up and need to coach a game the next week and you're not getting hired until after you're out of the playoffs either way and you can finish it up later if they really want you?

Yeah there are only so many hours in the day, I don't know how Ryans would fit in all of that and also any sort of game plan if he was getting wined and dined/grilled forever by all of these teams.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Colts interviewing everyone but just keeping the guy who only managed to beat the worst run team in the league is gonna be something

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm beginning to wonder if Irsay is convinced Saturday will be his own Dan Campbell. Doesn't win much at first, heavily criticized but ends up looking like something special.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wink Matindale sounds like the name of an all-male nude show in Vegas

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/1615049971287396357?s=46&t=C0g-cHtXTKZgK_c2RCyqUw

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Just to put it on perspective, from what I could find 4 million is the low end of the scale for an NFL Head Coach.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe teams shouldn't keep literally hiring the same guy

O'Connell has shown some promise. Staley should've been left at the stadium Saturday.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:laffo:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah chargers are absolutely going to try to run it back after sacrificing coordinators/assistants because that's just how football works. Gotta give em another chance and send them a message by laying off staff and saying you're next if you don't fix it!

Very regressive team management thinking

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Incredible. This is why I'll always prefer a meddling spending owner vs an absentee cheap rear end owner. I want the billionaire to make use of their only "skill" and throw money around to fix problems.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

kiimo posted:

Wink Matindale sounds like the name of an all-male nude show in Vegas

The original was a game show host:

https://youtu.be/7ehaICuwWV0

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's kind of weird to me that coordinators on playoff teams can take one let alone multiple HC interviews. all you hear about nfl coaches is how they do 70+ hour weeks and spend no time with their wives and have to schedule phone calls with their children and sleep at the office, but before the most important game of the season a coordinator will have time to talk to five teams about next year. seems like the first part might be a fib

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wink is probably going to be a Bruce Arians type good HC. I don't think he's another Rex Ryan.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Really looking like if the panthers hire a young offensive guy they’re not gonna be able to pick their own DC.

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1615064185737711617?s=46&t=qnKM3eSq29aII_9Ibz60CQ

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

FizFashizzle posted:

Really looking like if the panthers hire a young offensive guy they’re not gonna be able to pick their own DC.

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1615064185737711617?s=46&t=qnKM3eSq29aII_9Ibz60CQ

Whether or not the HC should choose his DC (I guess it's debatable) I think that they'd want to, so that seems strange.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1615072362311094272?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

Whether or not the HC should choose his DC (I guess it's debatable) I think that they'd want to, so that seems strange.

Imagine Tepper is wary after getting burned by Rhule bringing in Phil Snow who was the shadow head coach, if you believe the rumors.