Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Now that's a name

https://twitter.com/ProductiveOuts/status/1614653749427077122?t=qpIbal-93_OuWJyt2f1LRA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

should i tell 'em

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

R.D. Mangles posted:

should i tell 'em

did i get got by a goof account

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

did i get got by a goof account

yeah, they're a bunch of punk rock dudes and their shtick is making up silly baseball names

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Mervis started the 2022 season in high-A. I'm not sure why everyone is expecting him to be the permanent starter at first in the majors in 2023.

I don’t have a horse in this race, but dude is 25. If not now, when? You gonna give him a two-year apprenticeship and ease him in to starting as a fresh-faced 27-year-old?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

LobsterMobster posted:

Cutch is gonna tear it up in the summer. Why? FURRIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVw8MJzY08

If the con is still the first weekend of July, they will be playing the Brewers:
https://milwaukeerecord.com/sports/remembering-the-time-bob-uecker-encountered-a-furry-convention-in-pittsburgh/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my major concern is that the cubs will lose that new bonus draft pick by not starting mervis day one after he inevitably wins RoY and NL MVP.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hand Row posted:

The Cubs roster makes no sense and the only strategy I can see they are pursuing is to be middling instead of complete garbage to maintain attendance.

The team is shockingly old but not in a we signed guys who had down years but could easily flip in trades if they rebound way. Why sign Swanson and Taillon if this is what you are going to be?

They did some stuff just to keep fans coming yes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bravesword posted:

I don’t have a horse in this race, but dude is 25. If not now, when? You gonna give him a two-year apprenticeship and ease him in to starting as a fresh-faced 27-year-old?

Mervis was not a high ranked prospect prior to last year. He had a really great season across all levels of the minors last season which shot him up the org ranking list but it remains to be seen if he can continue that success. Cubs will likely want to see him continue that success in the minors before calling him up unless he has some ridiculous spring training. He may get called up this year but it's not a great idea to expect Mervis to take over 1b full time with no backup plan.

And there is no rush to bring Mervis up, the Cubs aren't going to be very competitive this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Mervis was not a high ranked prospect prior to last year.

Who cares? Prospect rankings don't mean poo poo if a guy gets actual results.

Popete posted:

the Cubs aren't going to be very competitive this year.

Agreed, which is why the Cubs should use this year to ease some rookies into the bigs, including Mervis.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

They did some stuff just to keep fans coming yes.

Spending money on players you might know but don't make the team competitive is Tribune era strategy at its best/worst.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In real prospect signing news:

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1614668710631075841

https://twitter.com/TheGoodPhight/status/1614658249445228547

I'm always amused teams can sign someone at a certain position that's just been locked up for the next decade. I'm sure they believe kids that age can be converted to whatever, right?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

shortstop is the hardest infield position anyway isn't it? you'd have to think if a guy can play SS he can also play second or third.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Young international guys are almost always signed as SS's or OF's because those are the positions where a coach is going to put their most athletic or power-heavy kids respectively. Here's the list of top international prospects: the first 25 guys are all listed as SS or OF:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

It's not uncommon for younger players signed as CF's or SS's to fill out their frame as they age and end up getting shifted elsewhere.

e. As another example, the Cubs signed no less than three guys listed as SS:

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1614633982200803341

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 15, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

Mervis was not a high ranked prospect prior to last year. He had a really great season across all levels of the minors last season which shot him up the org ranking list but it remains to be seen if he can continue that success. Cubs will likely want to see him continue that success in the minors before calling him up unless he has some ridiculous spring training. He may get called up this year but it's not a great idea to expect Mervis to take over 1b full time with no backup plan.

And there is no rush to bring Mervis up, the Cubs aren't going to be very competitive this year.

Hosmer has sucked for years. Why not give at-bats to the young guy? If he success, just play Mancini. Wisdom can play 1B too.

That's my problem with the Cubs. They are bad but also not really rebuilding. Becoming the Texas Rangers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Hosmer has sucked for years. Why not give at-bats to the young guy? If he success, just play Mancini. Wisdom can play 1B too.

That's my problem with the Cubs. They are bad but also not really rebuilding. Becoming the Texas Rangers.

That assumes Mervis continues his hot streak in the minors and gets called up this year and if he struggles who replaces him?

No team is going to enter the season with no 1b on the roster and Hosmer was essentially free. Hosmer isn't great but he is at worst a competent player, that's an upgrade over what the Cubs had (at least offensively). Picking up Mancini you could argue means we don't need Hosmer to fill that role but again Hosmer cost almost nothing. I also have a feeling that Mancini will be playing quite a bit of outfield past the trade deadline if the Cubs end up moving Happ.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 15, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Who cares? Prospect rankings don't mean poo poo if a guy gets actual results.

prospect rankings are based on a lot more data than 255PA in AAA

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

he had a bwar of 1.1 last year that seems pretty fine for a minimum contract

also here were the Twins "major" international signings today

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1614643309560954880

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

he had a bwar of 1.1 last year that seems pretty fine for a minimum contract

also here were the Twins "major" international signings today

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1614643309560954880

"Suck" is relative, too.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

Look, if there’s one team you can trust not to block more potentially productive players by employing an over the hill left-handed hitting ground ball machine it is most certainly the Chicago Cubs.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I take it no Cubs fans watched that Hosmer lowlights video.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

live with fruit posted:

I take it no Cubs fans watched that Hosmer lowlights video.

I did and I laughed and laughed. and then I laughed more because he will probably play the field like 25 games max next year now that Mancini is signed.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Poque posted:

I did and I laughed and laughed. and then I laughed more because he will probably play the field like 25 games max next year now that Mancini is signed.

Is Dave Ross the kind of guy to bench a four time Good Glove winner? Cause he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

live with fruit posted:

Is Dave Ross the kind of guy to bench a four time Good Glove winner? Cause he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Nope, he'll play a million games as a mostly-poor DH

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why didn’t they just do 8 batters instead of adding a DH?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs don't spend: "These cheap assholes aren't doing anything to make the team better!"

Cubs spend: "What the gently caress?! Now our young guys aren't gonna get any PAs!"

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Sydin posted:

Young international guys are almost always signed as SS's or OF's because those are the positions where a coach is going to put their most athletic or power-heavy kids respectively. Here's the list of top international prospects: the first 25 guys are all listed as SS or OF:

Not just international guys. Even in the draft, you hardly ever see top prospects at 2b or 1b. 3b is for guys big enough that they can mash but are already too big for short like Vlad was.

Also those 16 year olds are like 5 years away minimum. Don't care who you have at any position, nothing shold be considered blocked on that timeline. It's a long time for a guy to demand a trade for one of a billion reasons, blow out a knee or who knows what else might happen.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Why didn’t they just do 8 batters instead of adding a DH?
because 8 isn’t divisible by 3

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Since we are going to have a banned shift, pitch clock and limited pick off attempts, what cool innovations do you guys think are in store for the future when it turns out none of that brings in New Fans and also angers existing fans and players?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Multiball

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
robo umps

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm the existing fan mad about a pitch clock and limited pick off attempts

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Since we are going to have a banned shift, pitch clock and limited pick off attempts, what cool innovations do you guys think are in store for the future when it turns out none of that brings in New Fans and also angers existing fans and players?

Insulting the fans and converting all seating to luxury boxes for the rich

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in order to prevent human error and speed up the game, all seasons will be decided by statistical projection and simulation. no more playing, the computer will tell us who the champion is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is something very satisfying about fans getting insanely hostile at opposing pitchers who throw over more than once an at bat, love booing at those guys.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What is the record for pick off attempts in a single at bat? Is there anything stopping a pitcher from just continuously stepping off and throwing to first until the other team resigns out of exhaustion?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is something very satisfying about fans getting insanely hostile at opposing pitchers who throw over more than once an at bat, love booing at those guys.

Jon Lester never throws to first.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

in order to prevent human error and speed up the game, all seasons will be decided by statistical projection and simulation. no more playing, the computer will tell us who the champion is.
something funky with the forums database, I'm seeing random posts from 2001 in the middle of current threads

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1613612652718354432

They don't look that similar??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Gerblederp posted:

Insulting the fans and converting all seating to luxury boxes for the rich