Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The way online wrestling fans are so obsessed with botches is so weird to me. Like it’s always something fans have noticed and pointed out, but unless it was a match with nothing but botches I feel like we just moved on and enjoyed the match. I mean it’s always said but poo poo happens. It’s wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i blame maffew, but even then i think he's tried to make sure the show is more wrestling-positive since he started it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

flatluigi posted:

i blame maffew, but even then i think he's tried to make sure the show is more wrestling-positive since he started it

Yeah he’s never been negative about botches. He’s always been pretty light hearted and I remember it being common for a long time when a wrestler would mess up they would be like welp here i come Botchamania.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The_Rob posted:

The way online wrestling fans are so obsessed with botches is so weird to me. Like it’s always something fans have noticed and pointed out, but unless it was a match with nothing but botches I feel like we just moved on and enjoyed the match. I mean it’s always said but poo poo happens. It’s wrestling.

There’s a real weird thread among a certain type of wrestling fan where they primarily get enjoyment out of pointing out botches or how poor the booking is or whatever. Seems exhausting when you could just watch something you actually enjoy instead.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm relatively new to this but the vibe I get from Botchamania is more of a rib at how silly wrestling can be.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Integrated Houston posted:

Yeah, oh my God, I was watching that Danielson/Takeshita match and being like, “Wow, all these botches!“

We all were!

https://twitter.com/wolfkingvillian/status/1613358665993523200

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

The_Rob posted:

It's easy clips you can point to quantity how bad a promotion you hate is because clearly that would never, EVER happen in a GOOD wrestling company.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Drakkel posted:

It's easy clips you can point to quantity how bad a promotion you hate is because clearly that would never, EVER happen in a GOOD wrestling company.

Yeah it's this. The main reason these guys obsess over botches because they're (relatively) easy to identify and it lets them feel like savvy critics without actually requiring any independent critical thinking

It's not appreciably different from online guys who are really into the idea of being film critics but don't actually know poo poo about poo poo so they evaluate movie quality by making lists of "plot holes"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah it's this. The main reason these guys obsess over botches because they're (relatively) easy to identify and it lets them feel like savvy critics without actually requiring any independent critical thinking

It's not appreciably different from online guys who are really into the idea of being film critics but don't actually know poo poo about poo poo so they evaluate movie quality by making lists of "plot holes"

I could easily see one of those AEWBotches type accounts making those kind of videos. Not a Botchamania type video but a CinemaSins type of video where like 2/3rds of the "Sins" are things that aren't botches at all or poo poo they thought was a botch cause they weren't paying attention or didn't understand it cause they're only capable of consuming media at the most surface level possible

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I could easily see one of those AEWBotches type accounts making those kind of videos. Not a Botchamania type video but a CinemaSins type of video where like 2/3rds of the "Sins" are things that aren't botches at all or poo poo they thought was a botch cause they weren't paying attention or didn't understand it cause they're only capable of consuming media at the most surface level possible

All while acting incredibly smug and thinking they're the smartest people to do it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

flatluigi posted:

People often confuse roasting for ribbing. Even maffew himself sometimes but I think he realizes that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think the AEWBotches guy might be mentally unwell. Like a year ago I got retweeted by someone in AEW and AEWbotches kept replying to me for months with stuff like "you should watch WWE instead" and sharing a video set to Yakkety Sax of AEW wrestlers making minor mistakes. I never once responded at all but he just kept going until I blocked him because it just kept going and going.

I dunno if he had a crush on me or what but he was expending a massive amount of effort trying to get my attention and it was honestly really creepy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The obsession he has with Aubrey kinda proves that on its own, without even getting into any of the other weird poo poo he's done.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
the lovely rhetoric regarding Aubrey on twitter sucks rear end. it's definitely people finding someone to be mad about and just latching on to it until the end of time. there's no way they actually are watching the show anyway

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The amount of bizarre poo poo that nerds on twitter dump on aubrey over is always a list of things that male refs have done for years but because a lady is doing them, it is suddenly bad

Hebner, li’l Naitch, Nick Patrick, Bill Alfonso, and even Bryce Remsberg will/did all do stuff that Aubrey gets poo poo over on Twitter by these weirdoes

It is super obvious and petty

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rotinaj posted:

The amount of bizarre poo poo that nerds on twitter dump on aubrey over is always a list of things that male refs have done for years but because a lady is doing them, it is suddenly bad

Hebner, li’l Naitch, Nick Patrick, Bill Alfonso, and even Bryce Remsberg will/did all do stuff that Aubrey gets poo poo over on Twitter by these weirdoes

It is super obvious and petty

Most of these twitter freaks also have a problem with Bryce, but you're right that they don't see to have a problem with the other refs you mentioned. I wonder what the common denominator between Aubrey and Bryce is...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ganso Bomb posted:

Most of these twitter freaks also have a problem with Bryce, but you're right that they don't see to have a problem with the other refs you mentioned. I wonder what the common denominator between Aubrey and Bryce is...

They never call for the bell and disqualify someone for kicking too much rear end.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

There's a pretty big overlap between "online wrestling weirdo" and "online misogynist". I think decades of WWE booking women as eye candy, drat jezebels, and evil scheming heels hosed up a lot of weird people who don't interact with women in any other way.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think the AEWBotches guy might be mentally unwell.

Same guy who runs that account also runs Meltzer Says What and VCRWrestling from memory, so mentally unwell tracks.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's so obvious that these guys start from the premise of AEW=bad and then figure out the reasons later. It's easy to come up with arguments that sound somewhat reasonable when taken in a vacuum, but fall apart on even the most basic level of analysis. A referee stealing the spotlight can definitely be bad, but is there any proof that actual viewers are turned off by Aubrey's officiating or that Aubrey "steals the spotlight" more than other refs that people don't complain about? Nope. No selling in the wrong situation can hurt a match, but was DT vs Elite any "less realistic" than other multiman spotfest matches and did it turn off the audience? Not really.

It's the same deal with people that consistently harp on every single booking choice. It's not booking malpractice or "unrealistic" that a story progresses in a different way than how you fantasy booked it. Every online goofball seems to have their pet issues that they are sure shows how a promotion is objectively wrong in their booking, but since they all seem to find different issues (and often take contradictory stances from the other goofballs), how can these critiques be important if even the haters don't agree on or observe the same problems? I remember some guy that was ranting and raving about Moxley not immediately trying to get a rematch against MJF and how it is completely ruining Mox's character, but I didn't hear anyone else make this complaint, even from the out and out anti-AEW trolls, so how badly could it actually be ruining Mox?

I wish people would understand that something can not be to your particular taste without it having to be objectively "bad."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Guys did you know your woman can die from superficial lacerations

https://twitter.com/apahandle/status/1614484518689202176?s=61&t=tam5m5fcDTgL26ObFpHVSg

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

coconono posted:

Guys did you know your woman can die from superficial lacerations

https://twitter.com/apahandle/status/1614484518689202176?s=61&t=tam5m5fcDTgL26ObFpHVSg

Man, nobody tell them about the menstrual cycle

...who am I kidding, these guys wouldn't know what that is anyways

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
very real threat of death

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i didn't watch wrestling for a while before AEW but i assume at least a hundred people died from blading their foreheads in that period and that's why people have been so against it since around 2019

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Ric Flair has died like 9 million times.

Wait, that might be accurate.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Draft Kings proudly presents AEW: Very Real Threat of Death.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I have to admit that I was turned off by blading before I got back into wrestling via AEW. But one of the things that got me back on board was watching the Bunny and Britt bleed buckets. It was undeniably loving awesome, and if there’s a gimmick match in AEW, I’m now the type of Sicko who’s going to be pretty disappointed if there’s no blood.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Integrated Houston posted:

I have to admit that I was turned off by blading before I got back into wrestling via AEW. But one of the things that got me back on board was watching the Bunny and Britt bleed buckets. It was undeniably loving awesome, and if there’s a gimmick match in AEW, I’m now the type of Sicko who’s going to be pretty disappointed if there’s no blood.

welcome to the :sickos: club

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Blading because you think its cool, that's cool.

Blading because your psychopath boss demands blood, not cool.

Blading when your boss says don't blade because they got agreements to not do blood, also not cool.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

coconono posted:

Blading when your boss says don't blade because they got agreements to not do blood, also not cool.

Actually, that's very cool.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

coconono posted:

This is very cool. The only thing cooler is blading when your boss tell you not to and then getting away with it because you convinced him it was hardway.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

coconono posted:

Last one is cool though. Having Brock open you up the hardway with an elbow shot because you both think the match needs blood but don't want to piss off the boss by using a blade is not cool

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

nah it sucks when your boss is already overleveraged and can't pay because the sponsors refused their last check AKA Misty took the money and left, sorry boys.

Or getting kicked out of venues or any of the other things that gently caress up the money.

Don't gently caress up the money. Unless it fucks up the art.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

coconono posted:

Sorry this is actually extremely cool and Bret Hart is the coolest.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

coconono posted:

nah it sucks when your boss is already overleveraged and can't pay because the sponsors refused their last check AKA Misty took the money and left, sorry boys.

Or getting kicked out of venues or any of the other things that gently caress up the money.

Don't gently caress up the money. Unless it fucks up the art.

If the money says "don't bleed" then it IS loving up the art

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's cool when wrestlers do it to Vince. It's less cool when they do it in some tiny venue for a tiny promotion whose only request was no blood or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gently caress over Vince every chance you get. Steal the socks right out of his drawer.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's cool when wrestlers do it to Vince. It's less cool when they do it in some tiny venue for a tiny promotion whose only request was no blood or something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

coconono posted:

The second one isn't even correct, the psychopath boss insisted on busting hardway because blades are barbaric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I can't believe "indie promotions exist" has to be explained in the context of one post twice.