Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Tier I Apocrypha spells have 115 attack, Tier II Indirect spells have 70 attack. All else equal that should be about 45~58 more damage, I think?

BUT certain Apocrypha spells (effectively) reduce the target's stats based on the height of the panel they're on; Earthquake deals more damage when targets are on lower elevation, for example.

imo Shaman's the real prize for the quest, but it can take a bit for the best part about it to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shaman kind of blows until you get level 1 summons and then they're pretty great.

I do wonder if having a team of mages just spamming 100% petrify would be better though. Too bad bosses are immune.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really wish Deneb could change her element, since I have her as a shaman--which can't use Hellhound. As it stands, I am considering changing her back to a Wicce, since status spells are once again becoming vital. Dark Priest is incredibly useful for curse, poison, silence, and sometimes sleep, but charm would be nice to have.

I think it may be time to abandon cleric altogether. Mother's Blessing fueled heal was great to repair a stray level 3 indirect spell that hits a bunch of your units, but not multiple rounds of them. It's too bad heal craft is such a minor buff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prowler posted:

I really wish Deneb could change her element, since I have her as a shaman--which can't use Hellhound. As it stands, I am considering changing her back to a Wicce, since status spells are once again becoming vital. Dark Priest is incredibly useful for curse, poison, silence, and sometimes sleep, but charm would be nice to have.

I think it may be time to abandon cleric altogether. Mother's Blessing fueled heal was great to repair a stray level 3 indirect spell that hits a bunch of your units, but not multiple rounds of them. It's too bad heal craft is such a minor buff.

Change her to another class, change her element then make her a Shaman again.

A songstress does all the healing I need. If it's a big hit, well that's what consumables are for.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Deneb's stats are so high you can put her in shaman, change her element to anything other than light/dark, and have her use the matching summon. The nature's touch skill with the elemental damage boost is what makes the class so good.

Status infliction with wicce is useful, but you can just KO enemies with a tier 2 summon if you're in CODA. For a chapter 4 PotD run, there's a stronger case for status magic since nature's touch and tier 2 summons aren't available yet. Moreso if you're on neutral/chaos path and have more characters who can change to shaman. I was on the law path and there came a point where DPS outweighed status magic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having a character to throw out charm is nice, but it doesn't have to be deneb. dump some mnd charms on any generic and they'll do the job well enough.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Ahh got it. I figured the level 1 apocrypha spells must be a little stronger because they cost more MP and have a more limited range. Thanks for the tips.

I found a loot spreadsheet, and it looks like you can run through them the shrines again to get the level 2 apocrypha spells plus a few weapons. Sounds like the L2 spells are worth it. Are the weapons decent if I haven't done much of the PotD yet?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

crestfallen posted:

Ahh got it. I figured the level 1 apocrypha spells must be a little stronger because they cost more MP and have a more limited range. Thanks for the tips.

I found a loot spreadsheet, and it looks like you can run through them the shrines again to get the level 2 apocrypha spells plus a few weapons. Sounds like the L2 spells are worth it. Are the weapons decent if I haven't done much of the PotD yet?

You don't get to decide. The 5% drop on the lvl 2 spell makes it impossible to ever want to come back for the weapon. So no, they're not worth it. You're better off just grabbing weapons as you move through PotD.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

crestfallen posted:

The equipment is very unimpressive. They will almost certainly get replaced by stuff on floors 1-25, definitely by floor 50. Just grab the level 2 spells and get out.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Late PotD seems painful if you're up against a bunch of mages and they all proc meditate and engulf. A massive stack of of AOE on your party before most of your slowest members even get to move seems kinda lame.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WarpedLichen posted:

Late PotD seems painful if you're up against a bunch of mages and they all proc meditate and engulf. A massive stack of of AOE on your party before most of your slowest members even get to move seems kinda lame.

That's why your team should be at least 50% lightly equipped shamans making GBS threads out summon spells. Turn the tables, baybee!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The equipment is very unimpressive. They will almost certainly get replaced by stuff on floors 1-25, definitely by floor 50. Just grab the level 2 spells and get out.

Notable exception: The fists from the air shrine are quite good. They hqve a level 2 summon 1/battle and generally good stats.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just grab the level 2 spells and get out.

Speaking of this: googling seems to imply the best way to do this is to set up save states right before killing a boss (since the fight ends and you can’t chariot back). Hoping that is based on old data since I’m on a switch and can’t do that, but anyone got any tips/advice for getting these or is it just a matter of grinding

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Guy A. Person posted:

Speaking of this: googling seems to imply the best way to do this is to set up save states right before killing a boss (since the fight ends and you can’t chariot back). Hoping that is based on old data since I’m on a switch and can’t do that, but anyone got any tips/advice for getting these or is it just a matter of grinding

The rematch bosses are just treated as normal monsters. You can chariot and flee after killing them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

The rematch bosses are just treated as normal monsters. You can chariot and flee after killing them.

Oh dope, thanks!

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Fwiw I never got the apocrypha 2 spells and I didn't have much trouble clearing the endgame and CODA. Top-tier AoEs are nice but summons are where it's at. I don't think it's worth trudging to the bottom of another shrine and rerolling a single digit drop rate, unless it's for completionism or to also reload on oracle marks.

You can get heavenly judge 1 and 2 as easier drops in San Bronsa, which are the equivalent spells for divine magic.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mea Tulpa posted:

Fwiw I never got the apocrypha 2 spells and I didn't have much trouble clearing the endgame and CODA. Top-tier AoEs are nice but summons are where it's at. I don't think it's worth trudging to the bottom of another shrine and rerolling a single digit drop rate, unless it's for completionism or to also reload on oracle marks.

You can get heavenly judge 1 and 2 as easier drops in San Bronsa, which are the equivalent spells for divine magic.

Heavenly Judge also exorcises undead enemies just like Starfall does while hitting way harder. It's definitely worth using chariot to make sure it drops.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eh. Getting the tier 2 apocrypha is pretty trivial imo. Especially for Olivya and Sherri who have by far some of the easiest Temples, you can just AI battle through the whole thing in like 40 minutes then Chariot the drops from the bosses.

And frankly if you DON’T have the stomach for that you probably shouldn’t do Palace anyway since Palace is just That but way way more.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

at least the temples have the elemental-themed floors that looks semi-unique

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh. Getting the tier 2 apocrypha is pretty trivial imo. Especially for Olivya and Sherri who have by far some of the easiest Temples, you can just AI battle through the whole thing in like 40 minutes then Chariot the drops from the bosses.

And frankly if you DON’T have the stomach for that you probably shouldn’t do Palace anyway since Palace is just That but way way more.

Isn't the Earth Temple the worst? Undead and golems suck. I feel like Water and Earth are probably close to the hardest of the 6.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Agreed; the Earth temple sucked.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can probably clear CODA without any save scumming at all and just rolling with what you got. Farming the OP stuff and breaking the game is pretty fun though, especially if you're already like 80 hours deep on playing the game the normal way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

You can probably clear CODA without any save scumming at all and just rolling with what you got. Farming the OP stuff and breaking the game is pretty fun though, especially if you're already like 80 hours deep on playing the game the normal way.

Any relic is pretty good on its own, I found. Anything you get in PotD or San Bronsa are going to be massive upgrades. If you savescum to get every relic that drops, your power level rises to an absolutely unnecessary point. I found that the hardest non-gimmick battle in the game is trivial with a geared team. That's not even counting the stat charms you get either. I agree with you that if you're not feeling the tedium of save scumming, it's fine not to do it and you'll still be more than capable of taking down any challenge (aside from the final boss and CODA2's boss) easily.

That said if you're going to farm anything, the Tier 2 summons and Tier 2 light apocrypha would be at the top of my list.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Isn't the Earth Temple the worst? Undead and golems suck. I feel like Water and Earth are probably close to the hardest of the 6.

They’re completely trivial. Lightning is the most troublesome because it has approximately a billion death pits. Undead and golems are as simple as “have some staves of purification on your main casters and have people carrying Grimoire Exorcisme” which, again, you should be doing at this stage if you have aspirations of Palace anyway. The golems aren’t even worth tacking on a Warlock for golembane. It’s at worst maybe an extra minute or two worth of fast forward autobattle.

They autobattle the same as everything else at that point.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's really weird to me that grimoire exercisme is a potion

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's really weird to me that grimoire exercisme is a potion
holy water

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rascyc posted:

holy water

It's really weird to me that grimoire exercisme is holy water

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's really weird to me that grimoire exercisme is holy water

You gotta the burn the book to get rid of the bodies I guess. I remember in the original game it took me a while to figure out the ring of the dead isn't equipped in the ring slot.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

WarpedLichen posted:

You gotta the burn the book to get rid of the bodies I guess. I remember in the original game it took me a while to figure out the ring of the dead isn't equipped in the ring slot.

It's not a book though. It's a bottle. A bottle called a grimoire.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The original Tactics Ogre had you eat the scroll after you're done reading it, so maybe they decided to offer it in blended form.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You used to carry copies of the scroll version of Exorcism to use as consumables, it's them being playful about that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is there a reason POTD level locks you at 40 once you get to the 50th floor while allowing enemies to scale up other than "gently caress you"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Is there a reason POTD level locks you at 40 once you get to the 50th floor while allowing enemies to scale up other than "gently caress you"?

It's just to make things harder though the jump in enemy power isn't that big.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Azran posted:

You used to carry copies of the scroll version of Exorcism to use as consumables, it's them being playful about that.

Yeah, I think they’ve specifically said that they just made it an item because people just carried a bunch around to burn as items anyway.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mike_V posted:

What CAPTAIN said: they generally only get up to about 5 levels higher than you (I think maybe the floor 100 boss is 50), which doesn't matter as much because your equipment will start to outpace theirs. Granted, you'll start dealing with more and more special, unrecruitable enemy types, and there ARE floors with special bosses that can absolutely destroy you. So, you know, watch out for that by previewing the floor and making sure there isn't a level 60(?) unit there hoping to end your career.

I had no issues with most battles simply letting autobattle do its thing (with ample healing and resurrection items), just checking to make sure no one died after battle. If I actually controlled my units, then the fights were fairly easy--and this is required for some maps depending on a number of variables.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I wish their was a guide / some general tips on AI modes and typical behavior. I know that endgame build guide has a few AI things sprinkled in there but I want to know more.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I get so frustrated watching the AI teams, my Shamans keep running up to people and hitting them with sticks and if they have any other aoe spell they seem to prefer that to summons. Running around and not picking up cards.

Seems like you need to strip the character of all possible suboptimal moves or be insanely overstated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got to the point where I only use AI when I'm not even going to be looking at the screen because if I'm paying attention I'm just like, "this is stupid, why are you doing that, ah screw it I'll do it myself"

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Harrow posted:

I got to the point where I only use AI when I'm not even going to be looking at the screen because if I'm paying attention I'm just like, "this is stupid, why are you doing that, ah screw it I'll do it myself"

I witnessed this and had to rewind then flee the battle:

1. Deneb dies after warping close to the enemies in order to cast a spell that was already in range before she moved.
2. A few turns later, Canopus, near fatal and armed with two daggers, moves to hit a golem with full life. Dies in the counter attack.
3. A party member revives Canopus.
4. Canopus, near fatal and armed with two daggers, moves to hit a golem with full life. Dies in the counter attack.
5. A party member revives Canopus.
6. Canopus, near fatal and armed with two daggers, moves to hit a golem with full life. Dies in the counter attack.
7. AI no longer revives Canopus and does a few actions.
8. Party member revies Canopus
9. Deneb times out and dies.

I kept hearing revivals and knew something was up. I watched as Deneb's counter timed out, wondering when the AI would consider her a priority. It never did, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Will skills level up on Lord or do I have to get the better versions on the other classes then transfer them. EG if I have Phalanx II unlocked on Denam and equip it on him as lord will I get III then IV?