Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
AV1 is more metroid

AV2 is more vania

Both are good but in different ways

AV2 definitely feels more polished but that makes sense chalking it up to the dev being more experienced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

playing Astalon now, and it's.. fine. it's fine so far. i've beaten the first boss. the complaints about the starting over from the first room don't hold up much because you literally spawn right next to an elevator, and i've also gotten a portal fast travel item within the first hour

i wasn't expecting the game to feel so much like a puzzle-less Alwa's Awakening/Legacy though, that similar slower movement and jumping. without the puzzles though it's a bit more, plain? idk. i appreciate that the characters attack quickly but it's just auto and you hold the button. makes it not super exciting. i'll keep at it though.

after this it'll be Ato and Ender Lilies (which i've also heard has bad combat)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I don't know if I would call Ender Lilies' combat bad. It's weighty and tuned around most stuff three shotting you, larger things will teo shot. You have to learn animations and be careful with it for sure but you have a parry and a dodge. You can't always cancel into those as early as you'd like, sure, but I liked it once I got ahold of the combat.

It's definitely not amazing combat and the game is tuned to be difficult but you can pull off some cool feeling stuff against regular enemies and bosses.

E: also I really enjoyed the simplicity of Astalon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh lol Astalon is by the dev of Castle in the Darkness. That would explain the sudden spikes everywhere

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Astalon owns, compelled me to 100% it. Incredible vibe

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished Astalon. all-in-all it was a solid B-tier MV. the exploration was fun, combat was a little too basic and i didn't love the overreliance on spikes that Matt Kap seems to enjoy indulging in with his games. but I liked the humorous tone of the game, combined with the Dragon Half artist gave it a 90s fantasy anime feel (but without much in the way of comical expressions). solid music as well

I played Ender Lilies for an hour and I don't love it. the combat is kind of weird feeling. I don't think it has anything to do with the attacks being 'projected' behind the character, it's just the impacts themselves feel weird and then the movement in general is clunky. Don't like the feel of the jumping, dodge feels weird. I dunno. This feels like it'll end up in my C-Tier. the early level design is a bit too basic as well

I switched over to Ato knowing it would be another solid B-tier and it lived up to that. I like how condensed the game is. It almost feels like a Metroidvania boss rush game, because there's a ton of them, and very little in the way of regular encounters even in the second half of the game when mobs spawn into the world. so there's always forward action and little downtime. I like the optional upgrades, a lot of the puzzle/timed rooms are fun, even if the rewards are usually just a coin or a health fragment. i didn't 100% the game but i do feel like I got close, in just 3 and a half hours. Maxed out the health and got most of the runes. A good game.

That leaves Transiruby (I expect to be B-tier) and Paradox Soul (I expect to be C/D) as the last ones for me to play this month, and I'll come back around to Ender Lilies later. The Steam Next Fest next month will also surely bring a couple of interesting demos my way as well....

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 11, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been playing through Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on my Steam Deck (and the rest of Metroid Prime Trilogy), and while I've owned this since it came out in 2007 I've never gotten around to really playing it since I wanted to finish Echoes first and it took me over a decade to slog my way through that game.

Anyways, Corruption is ... great!? Unless there's something dreadfully wrong with the back half of the game I'm actually really liking this. They addressed a lot of the issues I had with Echoes and even the first Prime.

I can understand some of the criticism levied against Corruption, but the general consensus would indicate that it's the worst of the trilogy and I think this is better than Echoes. At least, I don't feel like I'm slogging my way through it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I recall enjoying Prime 3 maybe the most of the trilogy, especially going back and playing them.

I haven't touched any in a long while, and it's real hard to top Prime 1 (outside of collecting relics nesr the end) but I definitely liked 3 more than 2.

I can definitrly see criticisms about everything being divided between planets but even with that division I liked the environments in 3 a lot more than in 2. 2 isn't bad I just didn't like its gimmicks as much as Prime 1 as a whole and 3 felt really well refined and presented the whole way through.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Prime 3 is great, it just stands in the shadow of the original Prime. (And Prime 2 imho but I'm a sucker for light world / dark world gameplay)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've been playing through Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on my Steam Deck (and the rest of Metroid Prime Trilogy), and while I've owned this since it came out in 2007 I've never gotten around to really playing it since I wanted to finish Echoes first and it took me over a decade to slog my way through that game.

Anyways, Corruption is ... great!? Unless there's something dreadfully wrong with the back half of the game I'm actually really liking this. They addressed a lot of the issues I had with Echoes and even the first Prime.

I can understand some of the criticism levied against Corruption, but the general consensus would indicate that it's the worst of the trilogy and I think this is better than Echoes. At least, I don't feel like I'm slogging my way through it.

I'm also of that opinion, I'd say 2 is at its worst if you try to 100% it due to all the transition loading, 3 feels very snappy and I never minded the motion gimmicks sprinkled through it. Though I do get people not liking that beam upgrades replace instead of add on. I hated the beams having ammo in 2 as it felt more like a minor annoyance than an actual mechanic or limiter, more often I'd find myself low on ammo when needing to open a door rather than in the middle of a fight.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Hypermode is so broken I love it.

I kept getting electrocuted by those fly-by guys on the ziplines in Elysia, then I remembered that hypermode gives you 10 seconds of invulnerability at no cost as long as you don't shoot--problem solved!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played an hour or two of Axiom Verge 2 tonight. It isn't quite grabbing me but I'm willing to play a little more. Just got the power that let me blow up walls, and I'm thinking maybe I just dislike that whole area in general.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really liked SHEEPO. It's a short metroidvania with no combat and a heavy focus on platforming.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

I really liked SHEEPO. It's a short metroidvania with no combat and a heavy focus on platforming.

I 100%ed the followup game from that dev, Islets, last week. It's also extremely good, it's longer and has combat but it's fairly forgiving and has a lot of QoL features, and it's generally quite cozy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Played an hour or two of Axiom Verge 2 tonight. It isn't quite grabbing me but I'm willing to play a little more. Just got the power that let me blow up walls, and I'm thinking maybe I just dislike that whole area in general.

I would give it until you unlock the very obvious core traversal power, it really makes the game gel IMO.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Transiruby last night. Another solid B-tier game, cute and relatively simple but involves plenty of (pretty much entirely mandatory) exploration. One of the passwords required for a certain objective was annoying to find (if you play the game and are similarly racking your brain, here's a pro tip, that pushable block can be moved back in the other direction) but otherwise I enjoyed it. i liked the last dungeon's gimmick of slowly expanding the map downward more and more as you reached certain points of progression.

Earlier in the week I played Maptroid Worlds and it was cute, although I think it could've had a snappier interface/controls. just not as polished as it could be.

this morning i played the demo of HAAK and liked it, although the secrets are a bit TOO signposted with those lanterns, idk if that's something they ease out as the game goes on but it's a bit too obvious.

i also played the demo of Blast Brigade and it felt pretty generic to me, kinda plain and uninteresting 'comedy' writing and just OK feeling movement. eh

i now have Haiku the Robot so that'll be my next MV, and then maybe Powerslave (same bundle)? then, either give Ender Lilies another shot, or maybe finally, finally, i devote a week+ to Hollow Knight.

other remaining MVs in my library: Ghostly Matter, Aquaria, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Outbuddies (not a huge fan of this one)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh. I beat Haiku today. I didn't think it'd be as short as it was, as I was getting deep into it, on account of how hollow knighty it felt (complete with train station fast travel) but it ended up only being 5 hours long

it sits somewhere between B and C tier, I think there's good aspects there, but it compares unfavorably to fellow limited-palette gem Kunai which had much more fun movement and combat. i appreciated how many bosses there were, the zipline is a fun way of reinterpreting that one Metroid ability. but I'm glad I got it as part of a bundle

that's 6 metroidvanias beaten this month so I think I need to take a short break from them!!!! the next one would probably still be Powerslave Exhumed. i forget when 9 Years of Shadows releases but I guess that would be the first new one i'd be playing this year and I thiiiiink that's next month. so I can maybe take a 'breaktroidvania' until then

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

1) Glad to see a new thread immediately devolve into genre definitions 2 pages in, gave me a chuckle

2) Dark souls is just a bad Severance: Blade of Darkness rip off. Ergo, Hollow Knight is Conan-themed.

3) More seriously, are there any classic Castlevania games that are playable on the PC (and more importantly, *worth* going back to as a new player)? The only one I ever touched was Aria of Sorrow ages ago, which I enjoyed.

4) Likewise, Is Metroid: Samus Returns (2017) playable on PC? I loved all 2d Metroids (Fusion being the lowest point imo?) and have just heard of this title from wikipedia.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Just finished HAAK and it was great. I love exploration and finding secret areas and that is extremely HAAK. The combat/ boss fights weren't amazing but sometimes a game does one thing so well you have to give it a pass.

woke kaczynski posted:

I 100%ed the followup game from that dev, Islets, last week. It's also extremely good, it's longer and has combat but it's fairly forgiving and has a lot of QoL features, and it's generally quite cozy.

Seconding this. Other developers should play Islets to see what movement can feel like.

Surprising that it was made by the Sheepo team, which was pretty standard and forgettable imo.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

3) More seriously, are there any classic Castlevania games that are playable on the PC (and more importantly, *worth* going back to as a new player)? The only one I ever touched was Aria of Sorrow ages ago, which I enjoyed.

4) Likewise, Is Metroid: Samus Returns (2017) playable on PC? I loved all 2d Metroids (Fusion being the lowest point imo?) and have just heard of this title from wikipedia.

The Castlevania advanced collection on steam is a pretty good official collection, it contains the 3 gba games Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, and Harmony of Dissonance. AoS is the best of them but I'm still fond of CotM tho the soundtrack got hosed on the gba.
Dracula X (version of Rondo of Blood) is an okay way to play that game and Rondo is one of the best cvs imo.

The CV classic collection is a bit more rocky and not quiet metroidvanias but honestly all fans should play Super Castlevania IV it's very good. Also ez 2 emulate being a snes game.

For Samus Returns citra runs it quite well and I replayed it like that recently. Citra let's you bind buttons to the touchscreen as well. There are some mods out there to make it look less like rear end on a larger screen as well (gfx replacements)

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
On that note, how do Portrait of Ruin and Order Of Ecclesia stand up? I remember really enjoying the former, but that was on a handheld over a decade ago.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

woke kaczynski posted:

Islets looks awesome, thanks for the rec.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Serephina posted:

It's Nintendo, so your only PC option is emulation and :files:, and alternatively you could check out AM2R or emulate the original Metroid 2.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cerepol posted:

Dracula X (version of Rondo of Blood) is an okay way to play that game and Rondo is one of the best cvs imo.

Rondo of Blood is great but I respectfully disagree w/r/t Dracula X being "okay."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has some nice remixes of the music and you're not a real Castlevania fan until you've experienced the Drac fight in Dracula X lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fatty posted:

On that note, how do Portrait of Ruin and Order Of Ecclesia stand up? I remember really enjoying the former, but that was on a handheld over a decade ago.

Extremely well, still top tier games

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Fatty posted:

PoR has a lot more touchscreen usage since it was early on in the DS life but i got a soft spot for jonathon/charlotte. It also notably has varied environments did to using the portraits to to places.

On most days I call Order of Ecclesia my favourite IGAvania and today is most days. Its just got a lot of good poo poo and i line the no damage medals. The refined power system from AoS and DoS and magnesis is so fun to travel with.

Schwarzwald posted:

Rondo of Blood is great but I respectfully disagree w/r/t Dracula X being "okay."

You are right, sometimes I'm unfairly harsh on the changes, but it is also a great game. Just got a soft spot for that ol PC engine game

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Rondo of Blood is sorely missing from the current Castlevania collections. It is part of the PS4 Requiem collection, but as I understand that's a PCE emulator running inside a PSP emulator and thus, bugs. The original Chi no Rondo is available on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx/CoreGrafx Minis, and as a classicvania title you don't really need to play a localized version of it. That said, the minis might be hard to find now.

That said, there is a patched PCE ISO floating around out there that includes the English localization from the Dracula X Chronicles along with the updated German voice intro. At the moment, this is probably the definitive way to play Rondo of Blood.

Limited Run Games announced an official localized Turbo Duo release of Rondo of Blood back in 2021, but nothing has come of it yet. Which is a shame as it would be an instant purchase for me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Dang Haiku the Robot was so good. Highly recommend.
Onto steamworld dig!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm playing FIST and it's great, but man the performance is all over the place if you turn RTX on, even on my 3080. Somehow I can run CP 2077 at launch at 90fps but FIST crawls in the 60s with regular frame drops. :wtc:

I assume they're not patching anymore if it was already a freebie on EGS, so oh well, will have to turn things down.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like a lot of things in FIST but the combat was really bringing it down... I should still finish it though.

It just feels like way too many moves lock you in animations and mess up your movement, while enemies get insane amounts of invulnerability on knockdown and stuff. I end up not wanting to engage with the systems and just spam boring safe moves.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Completed Axiom Verge 2 today. The first game was one of my favorite game in that genre in recent years (aside from Hollow Knight). Totally missed that the sequel came out in 2021 though.

It's not as strong as the first game, even if it has a bit more character and uniqueness. The last stretch felt a bit short, and any challenges petered out by the mid game.

Still enjoyed my time with it, and I'm still amazed at the amount of quality a single person can produce. I think Happ's best talent are his soundtracks though - AV's music always slaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV7VoN3BNsg

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I beat Ori and the Will of the Wisps yesterday. I grew a bit tired of the first one, and felt it was more of a platformer than a Metroidvania. The sequel however fixed pretty much every problem I had with the first. Fantastic game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I got 100% on Islets earlier today after this thread's recommendation, and that game was fantastic. Sheepo was also good, but I vibed with Islets a bit more I think.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Holy poo poo the new remaster of Metroid Prime is ridiculously good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo the new remaster of Metroid Prime is ridiculously good.

I will probably be picking it up this weekend, it looks loving fantastic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Finished GRIME, it was great. I really like that they went hard on the rock/earth aesthetic, that's not something I've really come across in games before. Combat's fun, there are some creative weapons, and at least one unique and memorable boss fight (not that the others were bad; quite the opposite). The main path through the game is fairly straightforward but there are plenty of optional areas / challenges, shortcuts to open, secrets to find, etc.

There's very little for me to criticize in this game to be honest. Maybe the climbing/jumping animations look a little goofy but it doesn't actually affect the gameplay. It could also use some more characters, a bit more writing. It goes for the whole vague plot thing, but if you're doing that I think you gotta foster a stronger connection between the player and the game world in another way, for instance by having more recurring characters (e.g. Solaire/Siegmeyer, or Hornet/Quirrel, etc.). GRIME does do this to an extent, but not quite enough for me.

Anyway yeah, the game does borrow heavily from Dark Souls and Hollow Knight so if you're tired of learning boss patterns, vague plots and having to find a bench beacon in order to fill out your map, maybe give it a miss. But overall I thought it was very very good. Took me 26 hours to finish having beaten all the bosses including the DLC and optional ones. But I didn't go for 100%.

It did make me think, though, that in general I'd like for these games to reward exploration and backtracking with fewer collectibles / consumables and more story and world-building (perhaps, ideally, both). And also give me a more organic reason to go back to areas. Hollow Knight does this well I think like when you need to power up the dream nail, but it's also in general not a linear game and you naturally go back-and-forth a lot and return to places for various reasons.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 12, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

I’m playing Souldiers and I’m waiting for the shoe to drop on what makes this game have Mixed reviews, because so far it loving rules

This is from a page (and 2 months) back but yeah, I'm playing it now and this game is excellent. I looked into it and apparently at launch it was riddled with bugs and later had a big rebalancing patch. When the guy in the second dungeon told me I was locked inside, I believed him, but apparently that was nerfed and you can teleport out since the rebalance patch, lol.

Souldiers has some of the best pixel art I've ever seen. It's also staggeringly big. I'm playing as the mage and relying heavily on tactics I know the other classes can't use so I could see myself playing it again too.

For cons, it's weird playing a 2d game where using the d pad to move isn't an option and the sub weapon system is a mess.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Souldiers was fun but it suffers the same problem as Phenotopia in that it just goes on for slightly too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Do any games in this genre make enemies in previously visited areas eventually stop spawning? It kind of seems like a common issue with these games that you eventually get tired of fighting the same groups of enemies every time while backtracking looking for items and such. Or a passive ability to make weaker enemies stop appearing like some JRPGs with random encounters have. Late-game super powered abilities like Screw Attack that trivialize most enemies aren't exactly the same thing since they still require a minimal level of engagement.