Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ixo posted:

the person telling you that was not an eggspert. the FDA works to keep you safe from salmonella enteritidis, but they wouldn't have the first clue how to grade an egg. only about half of the eggs in the country are graded by USDA (costco has theirs graded, typically).

the minimum salable quality of egg is grade B, anything not meeting that standard must be either broken out and pasteurized or tossed/sent off for animal food.

are YOU some kind of eggspert??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You people mean expert right? Like an expert on eggs? I'm going crazy here

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ixo posted:

we've funded a long term storage study with some egg scientists, should be published sometime this year. they found that they're safe to eat up even up to around the 6 month mark*. quality declines and it'll lose the ability to do things like hold structure in an angel food cake, for instance, but it won't kill you.

*if held between 34-45F, if the shell and membrane remain intact, if it was properly processed and held at the origin farm, and if the egg remains clean.

I know a lot about eggs, ok

How long until they will kill you

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

are YOU some kind of eggspert??

yes. my job is to tell people how to touch eggs.

Zero VGS posted:

Salmonella from raw eggs is kinda bullshit though, right? From what I can see commercially sold eggs are washed so that it won't be on the shells, and the contents are fine if it passes a sniff test?

it was common in the 70s and 80s, and blew up again with the DeCoster deal. hens can be infected with SE and shed that into the contents of the egg, it's very rare but when you're producing ~330-350 million eggs a day, even fractions of a percent mean yeah some get out. the farms continuously test for it in the environment, and if it's found they must then begin testing the eggs themselves.

Smugworth posted:

Maybe this is a good time to move this conversation to the official GBS Egg Thread for Egg Related Posting on Eggs

Just sayin

I will not be silenced

bird with big dick posted:

How long until they will kill you

you are a bird, you should know this

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

ixo posted:

we've funded a long term storage study with some egg scientists, should be published sometime this year. they found that they're safe to eat up even up to around the 6 month mark*. quality declines and it'll lose the ability to do things like hold structure in an angel food cake, for instance, but it won't kill you.

*if held between 34-45F, if the shell and membrane remain intact, if it was properly processed and held at the origin farm, and if the egg remains clean.

I know a lot about eggs, ok

Restaurant I used to work at would buy eggs by the pallet and store them at room temp for weeks at a time. Noone died afaik but ymmv.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zero VGS posted:

Salmonella from raw eggs is kinda bullshit though, right? From what I can see commercially sold eggs are washed so that it won't be on the shells, and the contents are fine if it passes a sniff test?

From what I’ve heard the risk of Salmonella on the outside of the egg a fair bit higher than it being on the inside of the egg.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just had a Don Lee chicken and cauliflower rice bowl. Pretty good until a 1cm length of wire embededded itself into my gums. Looked like wire that would come from a wire wheel. Painful, I'm glad I didn't swallow it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Well now I might just buy some eggs when I head to church today.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The new cup that the Kirkland laundry detergent comes with sucks poo poo: it got squished into 3 pieces in my laundry, and I'm barely 1/4 through the jug. The old cups were practically indestructible.

Someone pinched the penny too hard.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just give your eggs the float test if you're worried about bad eggs: if it floats in water, toss it. It's a nice test with a definite pass/fail. You can get months out of a Costco 5 dozen unless you're an avid egg eater.

Even then, they're probably still ok to eat as long as they don't smell of satans rear end in a top hat when you open it or look off.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I am quite the avid egg eater

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Our store has a 2 carton limit on eggs now

Eggs, they're the new toilet paper!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The last couple of times I've been they've had signs out front that there are no eggs. I guess that giant chicken factory they just built in Kansas or Nebraska or something like that is just for cooked chickens.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

binge crotching posted:

The last couple of times I've been they've had signs out front that there are no eggs. I guess that giant chicken factory they just built in Kansas or Nebraska or something like that is just for cooked chickens.

Yeah they have their own custom breed/variety/whatever for the rotisseries IIRC

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I saw NO EGGS

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Not eggsellent. I think I got 12 from Safeway for like $7 yesterday.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Broiler chickens are slaughtered much younger than laying hens and therefore have less chance to get bird flu. Which is why the rotisserie chickens can still be $5

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Ok, which one of you is trying to kill the $1.50 Hot Dog and 20 oz. Soda (with Refill) now?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Blue Moonlight posted:

Ok, which one of you is trying to kill the $1.50 Hot Dog and 20 oz. Soda (with Refill) now?

We're all going to get kicked out of Eden at this rate

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Members of loose morals

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Great news everyone I get to return a foam mattress that my wife doesn't find comfortable. It's only three years old what is the best way to return this?

The difference in size from when it was in a box to being decompressed is intimidating.

OK to recap the mattress was a week old and had not been slept on yet. I returned it with only minor inconvenience of having to push it in through he exit against the flow of exiting shoppers. I wrapped it in a mattress bag as well.

I even helped corporation sell more, a couple was looking at them and I let them know a fully unboxed version was in the returns aisle if they wanted to feel it. They bought two. I bought a regular spring mattress and everyone is happy about it. Costco Crab is even taking the old mattress for his own place so we don't have to dispose of it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Costco Crab hosed my wife :mad:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I tried the frozen lobster rolls.

They are lobster and rolls and a little packet of flavor.

It's alright. But not worth the price.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There are two types of Costco members, those who buy the giant Kirkland mini chocolate chip cookie bags and those who are cowards

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Time to accidentally chemically burn my taint:

Thought about getting one of these but didnt:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It's me, the coward.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Time to accidentally chemically burn my taint:

What about a rotisserie chicken or T1W2G OP

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Hmmmmmmm, what would be the best way to cook one of these?
I’m terrified of messing up the whole USDA choice loins we get sometimes from the biz center for a little less than that total price
Haven’t messed one up yet though and they are delicious at $14.99/lb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'd probably just sear the poo poo out of it in a cast iron or carbon steel pan trying to keep the interior as rare as possible. Like 45 seconds on each side.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

namlosh posted:

Hmmmmmmm, what would be the best way to cook one of these?
I’m terrified of messing up the whole USDA choice loins we get sometimes from the biz center for a little less than that total price
Haven’t messed one up yet though and they are delicious at $14.99/lb

If one of these fell into my lap I'd try to recreate a a sushi I had with it last year.

It was described as a 72-hour sous vide, then seared and placed on top of sushi rice. It was very decadent.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'd probably just sear the poo poo out of it in a cast iron or carbon steel pan trying to keep the interior as rare as possible. Like 45 seconds on each side.

Big mistake
You wanna render that fat a lil bit, med rare is where it's at

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No, they got it right the first time, but cut it into strips, cook one strip at a time, and eat that strip immediately.

Maybe 60s on each side instead of 45s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toss it in the microwave

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Toss it in the microwave

This is a war crime.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You would be an extremely dumb person to not use a meat thermometer when cooking that.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Ziplock that sucker. Toss it in a beer cooler with 130° water for an hour or so. Pull it out. Pat it dry. Season with salt and pepper then give it the quickest sear you possibly can.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

Ziplock that sucker. Toss it in a beer cooler with 130° water for an hour or so. Pull it out. Pat it dry. Season with salt and pepper then give it the quickest sear you possibly can.

Idk, I'm starting to appreciate a reverse sear in an oven vs sous vide. It's just so wet when it comes out of the bag, hard to get a good sear without smoking my house out

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Wet rear end meat make that searing game weak

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I ate some authentic Kobe ounces in Vegas and it was cooked for like 60 seconds on a hot stone. I literally didn’t chew the thing, just pressed it against the roof of my mouth and the thing melted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

That sounds gross