Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

As a poor who has never been able to afford a system capable of playing the last of us, I am grateful for this TV show! I heard the game is real good 🙂

Same here!

People who don't like it because it's too close to the video game and they are bored, should spend their time playing a new vidya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Same here!

People who don't like it because it's too close to the video game and they are bored, should spend their time playing a new vidya!

Any game you haven't played that is super cinematic you can put YouTube on your TV or whatever and put {this game} (the movie) and see the entire plot while you're working or whatever without the gameplay. I do this while working for whatever game I started but got bored with to see if the plot itself is worthwhile when it's cinematic. If you can access this site, you can do that, as a tip.

Death Stranding (which is also being adapted) is kind of my main example as I got 25 percent through and realized balancing stuff while walking wasn't my jam.

Darko fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 17, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Escobarbarian posted:

The zombie that chases Joel and Sarah through the diner owns. Just falling over constantly and crashing into everything. That’s dedication

yeah, i know nothing about stunts, but i have to assume that guy had some bruises on the day they were shooting that scene.

the one thing i know i'll miss when this era of television ends and the money spigot gets turned off is the production values. i don't watch that much television, but it feels like every series i've watched over the last couple of years has just gorgeous set and prop work. when i see something like this pilot and think back on what tv looked like 10 years ago it's unreal

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Never played the games but that fuckin ruled. Also, if you end an episode of a show with a dope 80s track I will probably always dig it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That song sucks because it makes you think Depeche mode might loving own but most of their catalog doesn't come close to that level again

Similar thing with new order

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021

False posted:

It was incredibly OK. Very polished, well produced, looked great - and not super interesting. The only time I felt especially engaged was with the lead actress (which is good and bodes well). All and all, considering pilots are burdened with all sorts of external pressures and usually suck I'm happy to keep watching.

As someone who hasn't played the games, I agree. Except I didn't think the production values were that great. Especially the scenes in Boston looked like bog-standard post-apocalyptic sets, more Syfy channel than HBO prestige drama. Maybe not so bad because it looks like we won't be spending a lot of time there. The car scene was nice.

I'll keep watching because of the great reviews and because I loved Chernobyl, but this didn't grip me like Chernobyl.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The game (and hopefully the show) was absolutely gorgeous once you got out of Boston. 90% of the game was walking through this bizarre landscape and ecosystem where nature had partially reclaimed modern society and created absolutely breathtaking sights, like giant ivy covered skyscrapers, bizarre fusions of artificial man-made structures and nature, and just vibrant colors everywhere. If they can nail that, then there will be plenty of interesting eye-candy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zelah posted:

What was the corrupt part outside of them making deals with/buying drugs from the protagonist?
So, aside from the corruption, what was the corruption? :confused:

It was that. That's what I was referring to. That scene wasn't there by mistake. You are supposed to infer things from it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tiggum posted:

It was that. That's what I was referring to. That scene wasn't there by mistake. You are supposed to infer things from it.

And that same cop later threatens to have Joel, Tess and Ellie executed unless they can give him a sufficient bribe.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I like it, didn't love it, it's tough trying to look at this without getting comparisons to Mandolorian, and that's only because of Pedro and both stories involving a child as a Macguffin (and Pedro playing protective father figure)

I haven't played TLOU, despite all the acclaim, only because I am a big baby at Survival Horror, but I'm okay with watching long plays on the Internet (it looks really great, fantastic beats and level design)

And so far, the locations featured on this HBO Max version do look authentic to the game, but I am wondering when they'll diverge away from the games, but it should be an interesting adventure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

That song sucks because it makes you think Depeche mode might loving own but most of their catalog doesn't come close to that level again

Depeche Mode does own to me and they had a good run that goes into 90s (some would argue Violator is their best album), but I agree regarding New Order. I prefer them when they were Joy Division before Ian died, not even close.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

How so? The cops are just doing their job in a very lovely situation

Like I know that we're all supposed to say ACAB and be smug about hating cops but come on.

It's okay to hate cops if they hang people in public.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Order is incredible, wtf? Movement is just more Joy Division, Power Corruption Lies starts the evolution then they are fully their own thing. Technique is a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf5PHXI3k9U

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

precision posted:

Policy of Truth, Personal Jesus, and Enjoy the Silence are all just as good. Depeche Mode is solid.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Precision living up to their red title and not their username.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I miss Precision's Patriot avatar.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1615367696924934145?s=20

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its funny to see Pedro Pascal become more and more of a generic leading man as his career grows. how far we’ve come since Narcos

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It was pretty good. I don't remember anything specific about the game because it was near a decade ago and I was too busy making GBS threads myself in naked terror to follow the story too closely because I suck at any and all horror games.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I listened to the depeche mode song at the gym today and it was really good, ty for the info

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zelah posted:

What was the corrupt part outside of them making deals with/buying drugs from the protagonist?

They are literally shown killing kids, disposing of bodies en masse, and holding public executions, OP. It's a plot point that the only cop we spend any time with is hooked on sleeping pills because of all the people he has killed.

:lol:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Tiggum posted:

Sure, but it’s hard to say “these two parties are involved in something sketchy. One is obviously the good guy and the other is obviously the bad guy”

Nobody’s a good guy yet. They all seem pretty bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently like what Netflix did for Kate Bush it's boosting Depeche Mode to zoomers.

https://startefacts.com/news/the-last-of-us-doing-to-depeche-mode-what-stranger-things-did-to-kate-bush_a117

quote:

As HBO's The Last of Us bathes in fan love in the wake of its premiere, it looks like there is another classic revival incoming. At the end of episode 1, Depeche Mode's Never Let Me Down plays on the radio, which — spoiler alert! — is a code that something bad is about to happen.

Well, trouble might be coming for the characters, but for the 80s iconic rock band, things couldn't be better, as Never Let Me Down has already propelled to Google Trends. Fans suspect that The Last of Us basically does something similar to what Stranger Things did to Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill (or Wednesday to The Cramps — Goo Goo Muck and, somehow, Lady Gaga's Bloody Mary).

This might be true since edits to Never Let Me Down are already filling Twitter threads and TikToks, all against the backdrop of The Last of Us enjoying sky-high numbers and critics and audience scores.

Many The Last of Us fans have already flocked to Depeche Mode's Spotify profile, so it looks like Kate Bush will have to make way for the British rock legends as Generation Z's new darlings. After the success of Stranger Things 4, Running Up That Hill became the #1 hit of 2022, even though the single itself was released back in 1985. For Depeche Mode, the HBO effect is yet to be seen.

In the show, however, Never Let Me Down (as a piece of the 80s music) meant that something bad was about to happen (or had already happened) to smugglers Bill and Frank. What exactly goes wrong remains a mystery, even though video game players might already have some ideas about what to expect.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Solid if unspectacular premiere episode. I haven't played the game that everyone constantly strokes their meat over so I don't really understand what everybody loves so much about this story/world so far which to me feels a lot like any other zombie apocalypse. I suppose that could change with more episodes.

The only real issue I have with the show after 1 episode is Bella Ramsey who I think is miscast. Please don't be an annoying dipshit kid all season. Pretty please.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am a simpleton that's never played the game, so I'm going into this show with fresh eyes. Never really got into zombie/survival shows like The Walking Dead either. That said I found the first episode thoroughly captivating and haunting. Pedro Pascal is awesome, and I was happy to see Anna Torv again after watching Fringe probably 5 times through by now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ersatz posted:

Policy of Truth, Personal Jesus, and Enjoy the Silence are all just as good. Depeche Mode is solid.

Yes, but like I said that's a small percentage of their catalogue

They just have way more misses than hits to me

And I like new order as well, I meant that they were another band who has "song that is so good is crazy" ( blue Monday, temptation) but then have a lot more songs that are nowhere near that level

It's not about liking or not liking the bands, I was complaining about when a band hits a high but doesn't really do it again much

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They are literally shown killing kids, disposing of bodies en masse, and holding public executions, OP. It's a plot point that the only cop we spend any time with is hooked on sleeping pills because of all the people he has killed.

I maintain it would've been more interesting to reveal that Boston/America actually remains a democracy and these things are happening because the majority of the populace voted for them, but like most American dystopia fiction it's not interested in the dynamics of how and why societies become brutal and authoritarian beyond a sort of set dressing at best (which is why it's taking place in Boston in the first place) or ham-fisted War on Terror allusions at worst (which I didn't get too much of a vibe from here, though I'm wondering what the point of setting the outbreak in 2003 was otherwise)

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

im seeing a lot of hate for bella ramsey which i don't really understand. i trust the chernobyl guy to direct an arc for her so that she starts out as an annoying brat and grows up into a more mature preteen over the course of the show. i mean, her character was apparently abandoned, then put in a lovely military school, then bit by a mushroom person, then put in a room for days with nothing to do and no one talking to her. shes 13, already the most annoying age, and all of this traumatic lovely stuff happens to her. of course she's gonna mouth off and make annoying quips. i walked around with a chip on my shoulder listening to korn at that age because i didn't like wearing uniforms at school and i'm sure i thought i was being edgy and cool but instead was being incredibly aggravating.

i actually really liked her acting while joel was murdering that guy though. she looks...feral. the after the episode thing explained that they were trying to highlight the difference between her and sara's reactions to joel's violence and i thought she expressed her part very well. i think sara's actress was also very good, but we got to see her be a normal kid, then a scared kid, then a dead kid. right now we've only seen ellie be an angsty preteen being kept prisoner by a post-apocalyptic cult. tl;dr i think it's premature to say she's not a good fit for the role

i think this scene could have been read as the cop was taking sleeping pills because he still had some humanity in him where killing kids and burning bodies fucks him up, but if they didn't kill the kid we saw in the intro to 2023 and burn his body all of the survivors would become mushroom monsters. i don't think this was supposed to be read as a condemnation of the cops. the hangings and contraband, maybe (sure, idk i err more on the acab side), but the execution of the infected is not so clearly a moral bad in this universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

They are literally shown killing kids, disposing of bodies en masse, and holding public executions, OP. It's a plot point that the only cop we spend any time with is hooked on sleeping pills because of all the people he has killed

Wait till you hear what the CIA has been up to

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

YOu son of a BITch

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ersatz posted:

Personally I’d also add World in My Eyes, Everything Counts, A Question of Time, and Personal Jesus to this!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

freebooter posted:

ham-fisted War on Terror allusions at worst (which I didn't get too much of a vibe from here, though I'm wondering what the point of setting the outbreak in 2003 was otherwise)

The creator said they went back to 2003 (instead of 2013 where the game starts I think?) to create a bigger air of paranoia that was rampant at the time, probably also why they have an outbreak report in Indonesia and neither one of them really know anything about the place. People were already hyped up on paranoia and goes right into the apocalypse.

I said this in the spoiler thread but when they are explaining what is going to destroy us, the camera immediately makes it look like the guy is talking to you the viewer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont get the line about fungal infections not being able to survive at the temperatures the human body runs at. I know they were trying to say something about global warming but internal fungal infections have been a known thing for a long time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mooseontheloose posted:

The creator said they went back to 2003 (instead of 2013 where the game starts I think?) to create a bigger air of paranoia that was rampant at the time, probably also why they have an outbreak report in Indonesia and neither one of them really know anything about the place. People were already hyped up on paranoia and goes right into the apocalypse.
Yeah, the game starts in 2013, same year it was released. Pushing the opening back to 2003 also means the twenty year jump after it (which the game had too) puts the main storyline in the current year.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They are literally shown killing kids, disposing of bodies en masse,

FEDRA sucks, but not because they're gently euthanizing infected and destroying the remains before the fungus blooms.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont get the line about fungal infections not being able to survive at the temperatures the human body runs at. I know they were trying to say something about global warming but internal fungal infections have been a known thing for a long time.

Maybe the show is a work of fiction

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mazin actually used the TLOU budget to sneak in a production set in the 1960s about a current affairs show and the spectacular court trial that followed him bringing a doctor on who was high as gently caress and just talking out his rear end. That's why the tall other doctor next to him was grimacing, he knew he would have a lot of explaining to do to his colleagues the next day. Anyway, that starts next week, opening with a title card that just says,"Play the game if you want the rest of Joel & Ellie's story."

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
That opening scene with John Hannah's lecture on fungus was incredible

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Dead daughter was an amazing performance. Shame she is gone.

I assume they'll explain how they got to Boston? Were they in CA in the prologue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Looten Plunder posted:

Dead daughter was an amazing performance. Shame she is gone.

I assume they'll explain how they got to Boston? Were they in CA in the prologue?

Austin, TX.