Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

It sounds horrendous so I’m genuinely not sure why you’d want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Science_enthusiast posted:

Has anyone got this new Ffvii voice acting mod up and running? Just finishing up on remake and my ffvii nostalgia boner must be satiated.

Here's getting 7th heaven going on the Deck:
https://github.com/auntiepickle/ff7seventhheavensteamdeck

Here's the release page with Windows 7th heaven install tutorial:
https://www.tsunamods.com/echo-s-7/

To much effort to set up atm.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Commander Keene posted:

It doesn't load for like 30 seconds going into menus or combat, for one.

Like, the PlayStation version is generally considered the worst option nowadays. Play SNES if you're a Woolsey fanatic, play DS/Steam for cutscenes and new translation.

I thought CT only did that on the PS2 but was fine on the PSX and, I assume, emulation?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Most of the those Square SNES to PSX ports, Chrono Trigger included, had atrocious load times. It really fucks up CT in particular because the battles are supposed to be seamless.

Honestly the FMVs kinda suck also since they don't replace the original cutscenes and you end up watching everything happen twice, once with anime and once with sprites.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
True enough. I assume then that SNES is also then the best way to experience Final Fantasy 6?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

True enough. I assume then that SNES is also then the best way to experience Final Fantasy 6?
I would go with FF6 pixel remaster. The new music orchestrations are fantastic. There's minor quality of life stuff, a great Yoshitaka Amano art gallery, and a music player.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I would go with FF6 pixel remaster. The new music orchestrations are fantastic. There's minor quality of life stuff, a great Yoshitaka Amano art gallery, and a music player.

Yeah. Just get the font change

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I tried the Big Picture beta (for non-Decks). I like it.

But I still don't get why controller templates aren't swappable between games anymore (this is true outside the beta too).

You can access "Your Layouts" in the Desktop config, but that tab mysteriously disappears in game configs.

Desktop config:

Game config:

I uninstalled the beta, though, because it broke the controller screenshot button, and I couldn't figure out a fix. Also it seemed to be using the CPU a lot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Does the Pixel Remaster version include the extra content from FF6Advance, or just the original FF6? Because I kinda liked the Dragons Den from Advance (for those who don't know, it's a bonus dungeon that has you go up against the 8 dragons again, but each one has a unique gimmick on the rematch. It's actually pretty fun.)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is there any way to get GOG games into the Steam library? Just got my Deck and want to play Disco Elysium.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it has a Linux version you should be able to install it natively, else you can install GOG stuff through Heroic.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

But I still don't get why controller templates aren't swappable between games anymore (this is true outside the beta too).

You can access "Your Layouts" in the Desktop config, but that tab mysteriously disappears in game configs.

Yeah this is hosed up.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Is there any way to get GOG games into the Steam library? Just got my Deck and want to play Disco Elysium.

You can either use Lutris or Heroic to this. Just look for them on the Discovery browser in desktop mode. At the moment Heroic is faring better than Lutris for managing Gog/Epic game products.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you don't wanna install outside stuff it can be done manually -- check my post history for the one with all the bullet points.

I can definitely confirm that GOG Disco Elysium works.

Though sometimes if I put it to sleep Steam will get confused when I wake it back up in a way that just makes me have to quit twice when I'm done. But that's a long-session game anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can get loads of battery life playing Disco Elysium too, it's a great one for long playsessions

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't mind the default font of the pixel remasters on the deck and they are amazing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't mind the default font of the pixel remasters on the deck and they are amazing

sicko

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you should not attempt to endorse something by leading with 'i have no aesthetic sensibility whatsoever'

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's legible and modding games on the deck is a pain :shrug: Except for changing all my IDEs to have consolas I don't usually notice fonts that much

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I did the font mod for the first 3 Pixel Remasters on Deck, and it's basically the same as doing it on Windows.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

All you do is transfer two files... it takes like 5 seconds in WinSCP

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed master chief collection is on sale. Is it still requiring a bunch of workarounds or is it playable out the gate now?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I noticed master chief collection is on sale. Is it still requiring a bunch of workarounds or is it playable out the gate now?

Single player works fine but multiplayer does not. Valve is working on it, or was in December

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GmanLives/status/1614732093497708545?s=20&t=1V0-K8jSW2vCLqGCzQmBTA lmao

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

In actual Dreck chat, I only recently looked more closely into external storage (e.g. USB flash drive or whatever) and learned it's not as simple as it is on a Windows PC; only the microSD card will automatically be recognized as a secondary library destination, other media have to be mounted every time. I'm hoping that's something Valve can rectify in an OS update.

Necrothatcher posted:

Why do you call it the Dreck?

That's what it's called. Can't believe Valve named it that! :shrug:

njsykora posted:

It's what everyone's calling it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thats what it's called

I love you guys :glomp:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, you haven't realized yet that it's the pinnacle of humour these days?

See, because it's normally called the Steam 'deck', but that's almost the word 'dreck' which means 'garbage'.

:regd08:

:frogout:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I'm choosing to believe the "Let's dance, rear end in a top hat." line as a direct joke to the line in Remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6W88x3Dt4

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

wow that's bad

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of ff7 mods I saw one that is basically a spruced up version of the base game's models and I can't mind the name of it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking of ff7 mods I saw one that is basically a spruced up version of the base game's models and I can't mind the name of it.

This one?

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah that looks right, thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm choosing to believe the "Let's dance, rear end in a top hat." line as a direct joke to the line in Remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6W88x3Dt4

It probably is.

To be honest the VA mod sounds just as bad as most anime VA anyway; it being bad makes it good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's actually really good VA for a fan mod

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like it better than the Ff7 Remake voices.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lots of bad ears in the steam deck thread

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I never played Xenogears as a kid and finally want to rectify that. I know that like a lot of the Square games at the time, it has a translation that is full of changes both deliberate and unintentional. Is there a uncensoring/fan translation patch for it - Romhacking.net just seems to have undubs - or should I just go in raw and blind?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's actually really good VA for a fan mod

the lowest possible bar to clear

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The last VA from a fan mod I remember reading about was that Portland fallout expansion where the writer got booted for writing (and getting people to voice) about his stinky feet fetish as part of the game.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I never played Xenogears as a kid and finally want to rectify that. I know that like a lot of the Square games at the time, it has a translation that is full of changes both deliberate and unintentional. Is there a uncensoring/fan translation patch for it - Romhacking.net just seems to have undubs - or should I just go in raw and blind?

I've only ever played it on the psx but I don't remember having issues with the translation. At the time I thought it was a fantastic story for a game, but I really dig existentialism, religious symbology, and psychology.

The only issue with it is they clearly ran out of time/money and the second disc is really bad. Lots of scenes of the protagonist sitting in a rocking chair dumping exposition from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The last VA from a fan mod I remember reading about was that Portland fallout expansion where the writer got booted for writing (and getting people to voice) about his stinky feet fetish as part of the game.

Yeah this is the bar you have to clear