Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Has there been a single FE game that hasn’t had dubtitles though? You might not hear it with your ears, but when the words “Divine One” scroll across the text box for the one hundredth time in as many seconds, you will hear it with your soul.

Don't have to read the subtitles if you know Japanese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay-only spoiler having to do with classes and weapon types: Alear's promotion gains access to qi arts, so if you were hoping to make a punch Alear, good news!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They could give the protag a last name like Shepard and have everyone call them that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Overbite posted:

They could give the protag a last name like Shepard and have everyone call them that.

Give them a title as well, maybe Tactician or Commander, so you have some variation in the barks.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Overbite posted:

i already made this joke!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Reviews are dropping today and they all seem to praise the gameplay, but swing anywhere from 5/10 to 9/10 based on how down they are on the simpler story and reduced social mechanics.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol 5/10: I didn't get to spend three hours between battles giving random items to a girl with purple hair so her portrait will switch to a blushing one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

it sure was memorable

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Motto posted:

Reviews are dropping today and they all seem to praise the gameplay, but swing anywhere from 5/10 to 9/10 based on how down they are on the simpler story and reduced social mechanics.

Key points in everything I've looked at seem to be:

* Much greater focus on the tactical gameplay, most maps hew closer to the old games or Fates: Conquest than to Awakening/Birthright/Three Houses model.

* Social/RPG aspect of the game severely cut down and simplified.

* Intentionally simplistic, light-hearted story mostly running on 'Look at this cool thing!' rather than complex motivations or world-building.

* How much you liked Three Houses will probably determine whether you like this one. Three Houses fans probably won't care for Engage, but people who thought Three Houses was too dark, gritty, and ambiguous will probably appreciate Engage as a return to form.

* Incredibly anime even by the standards of the series.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Professional" video game reviewers are the dumbest motherfuckers on the face of the planet

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

as long as the gameplay is good I'm fine. I replayed conquest more than 3 Houses

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

whether we the gamers end up liking it or not, one thing is certain: we'll be discussing its merits and faults for decades to come, just the same as every other game in this infernal series

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the gameplay is fine

on hard the early game, at least, is kind of tedious as both all your babies and all the enemy dudes have 20-ish health and consistently deal 8-15 damage and you have one healer.

I am not even sure why framme can punch

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/wiill64/status/1615349843735773184

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-8-fire-emblem-engage-part-1/

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 17, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After 3H was such a huge success, it's pretty gutsy for the next game to just take a hard turn away from a lot of what seemed to draw people to 3H.

Not that I'm complaining, all I needed to see was this

Cythereal posted:

* Much greater focus on the tactical gameplay, most maps hew closer to the old games or Fates: Conquest than to Awakening/Birthright/Three Houses model.

to be 100% sold.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wait people thought 3H was dark and gritty?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Any word on New Game plus?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Any word on New Game plus?

Leaks say there is NG+, but I haven't seen the details of how it works yet

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I watched a review and it said that there isn't one ala awakening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

^burtle posted:

I mean compared to other fire emblem? Yeah?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Awakening has a kind of NG+ system with Renown, but you do have to grind spotpass teams to get anything out of it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shillup complaining about missing the social sim stuff when he never finished a single run of 3 houses... it kinda shows. I feel like a lot of people never got to the point where the social sim thing just becomes a huge downtime drain that detracts from the core gameplay.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m still pretty new to the series (only ever played the first GBA one and one run of 3H). Just started this one yesterday and got out of the tutorial battles. Is it best practice to juice up one or two guys as much as possible, or does it not matter in newer games?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FrickenMoron posted:

Shillup complaining about missing the social sim stuff when he never finished a single run of 3 houses... it kinda shows. I feel like a lot of people never got to the point where the social sim thing just becomes a huge downtime drain that detracts from the core gameplay.

:psyduck: why the gently caress is shillup reviewing Engage, that is way outside of his wheelhouse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Eimi posted:

:psyduck: why the gently caress is shillup reviewing Engage, that is way outside of his wheelhouse.

Slow month, and he played 30 hours of 3 houses!!!

Edit: Pretty amazing to me how many people here just openly admit pirating the game tbh.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam posted:

I’m still pretty new to the series (only ever played the first GBA one and one run of 3H). Just started this one yesterday and got out of the tutorial battles. Is it best practice to juice up one or two guys as much as possible, or does it not matter in newer games?

Going in blind that probably isn't the best strategy because you don't know what later chapters will require of you and having a mostly underdeveloped and weak team can kick you in the rear end if a later chapter needs you to send units to several places at once. Also if a unit gets a few levels ahead their exp gain will drop significantly so it's hard to get too far ahead of what you're fighting with them.

Recent fire emblems (conquest notwithstanding) have been very forgiving in that regard but if Engage is more focused on tight gameplay then who knows. They certainly have pivoted away from letting you stick a beefy unit on a fort with a hand axe and solo kill the whole map on enemy phase though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Slow month, and he played 30 hours of 3 houses!!!

Edit: Pretty amazing to me how many people here just openly admit pirating the game tbh.

In my experience the vast majority of people just don't really give a poo poo about online piracy, and on SA the rules only prohibit sharing how to find pirated materials.

I won't be getting the leaked version because my computer sucks and when I tried emulating the leaked Pokémon game it crashed repeatedly so I'm expecting the same here, but I totally would if I could just to mess around a bit with it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

^burtle posted:

I’d say it is, compared to the series and on its own

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I still feel that Radiant Dawn had the best "grand" storyline with an amazing escalation of threat/stakes over the duration of two games. Also it stayed way more coherent than the plot of 3 houses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Compared to Fates Conquest's "we're nonlethally subduing every single enemy we do brutal critical animations on, honest," 3H appears pretty dark and gritty

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I still feel that Radiant Dawn had the best "grand" storyline with an amazing escalation of threat/stakes over the duration of two games. Also it stayed way more coherent than the plot of 3 houses.

RD plot had a few extremely glaring problems (lol blood pacts) but was overall pretty good otherwise imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can see someone thinking 3H has a darker tone since you’re forced to fight and kill former school mates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly 3 Houses isn't really that dark and gritty on any specific route, it only really seems to be because unlike most games you can actually side with the people who are normally just tragic mid-bosses you kill part way through the game.

If you just compared each route to other games its probably in the mid tier of Fire Emblem dark and grittiness. And doesn't get anywhere close to FE 4 or 5 which are my pick for overall darkest and grittiest FEs by a mile

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s dark and grittier than other fire emblems because you murder your former students by your own hand (and level up off it, thus showing you condone the action and revel in it)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only route where you murder a couple of your own former students is Silver Snow, otherwise you're only murdering your dumb coworkers' former students which is completely different.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
According to the developer interview, the Engage mechanic is the (mechanical) replacement for child units. In other words, trying out combinations of different characters and seeing what mechanical benefits you can get from it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RME posted:

It’s dark and grittier than other fire emblems because you murder your former students by your own hand (and level up off it, thus showing you condone the action and revel in it)

You only murder your former students on one route though, and you murder 2 of them.

On the others its just some assholes who also went to school with your kids or you explicitly let them get away (Flayn on CF).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

The only route where you murder a couple of your own former students is Silver Snow, otherwise you're only murdering your dumb coworkers' students which is completely different.

This kind of attitude really shows why byleth was a bad teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Radiant Dawn plot starts off really strong and has some cool stuff throughout but totally falls apart eventually. Lots of fantastic battle dialogue and boss convos throughout though for an enormous variety of characters.