Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

During his draft cycle the consensus on Lindros was that his size made him invincible

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

ThinkTank posted:

You what teams are desperate to unload? Talented young players in prime positions like RD and Centre. This retool will be a breeze!

Do you want some more mediocre overachieving players from the Coyotes? Our former coach and our players are really going places.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

You what teams are desperate to unload? Talented young players in prime positions like RD and Centre. This retool will be a breeze!

The oilers have given away Justin Schultz, Chris Wideman, John Marino, and Ethan Bear

and they gave away Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

so just fleece them

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1615054451219496960

Hi CAS, FAS here to tell you this is very familiar to us and that should not reassure you

Well i had pretty low expectations of Rutherford coming in, nice to see he's consistently proving even worse than expected - i do wonder how much this is a direct instruction from aquilini vs aquilini intentionally hiring someone who already thinks/acts the way he wants. Don't really have any justification for it but it feels like any GM interviewee who answered "yes" to a question about doing a full teardown and rebuild over 5 or whatever years wouldve had their interview terminated. Either way it makes it rrrrrreal hard to give a poo poo about this franchise until aquilini is gone

Let's go rangers, love da rangers baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The oilers have given away Justin Schultz, Chris Wideman, John Marino, and Ethan Bear

and they gave away Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

so just fleece them

Lol Chris Wideman

Marino refused to sign in Edmonton they didn't have a choice but to trade him or watch him walk.

Schultz was misused in Edmonton by bad coaches so ya that could have gone better.

I love Ethan Bear but Carolina wouldn't even play him and it took months for a trade to happen so him for Foegele is/was mostly fine. He wouldn't crack the Oilers roster currently anyway outside of them playing 7 dmen as they like doing.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils are back baby. They never panic and they are never out of games. Vanecek has been excellent and the team is playing with confidence again. Jack and Jesper own hard. 3rd overall in point percentage with a 1 point deficit on Carolina. Lookin good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lol Chris Wideman

Marino refused to sign in Edmonton they didn't have a choice but to trade him or watch him walk.

Schultz was misused in Edmonton by bad coaches so ya that could have gone better.

I love Ethan Bear but Carolina wouldn't even play him and it took months for a trade to happen so him for Foegele is/was mostly fine. He wouldn't crack the Oilers roster currently anyway outside of them playing 7 dmen as they like doing.

I don't see how any of this refutes that the Oilers are the place to go if you are shopping for an undervalued or disgruntled right defenseman.
Resign yourself to them inevitably trading Evan Bouchard now because they need Ceci for his grit and Barrie for those sweet powerplay points

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When people talk about getting quality young RD they don’t mean Ethan Bear and Chris Wideman

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jordan7hm posted:

When people talk about getting quality young RD they don’t mean Ethan Bear and Chris Wideman

'quality'
'oilers'
'defence'

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they were at the time (and are still) positive contributing NHL-quality players that were given away or neglected

I mean hell, Ethan Bear is currently the best right-shooting d-man on the canucks, they could use 2 more players of that caliber on cheap contracts

I did not think a joke about the oilers misevaluating their talent for a decade would be so controversial

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can't wait to build a cup contender around players that might be as good as Justin Schultz or Ryan Strome if things go perfectly!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

aejix posted:

Well i had pretty low expectations of Rutherford coming in, nice to see he's consistently proving even worse than expected - i do wonder how much this is a direct instruction from aquilini vs aquilini intentionally hiring someone who already thinks/acts the way he wants. Don't really have any justification for it but it feels like any GM interviewee who answered "yes" to a question about doing a full teardown and rebuild over 5 or whatever years wouldve had their interview terminated. Either way it makes it rrrrrreal hard to give a poo poo about this franchise until aquilini is gone

Let's go rangers, love da rangers baby

I have a theory on this. Someone smarter than me probably has a name for it, but I'm pretty sure it is Aquilini just in some mega deep "gotta prove I'm smarter than everyone" rut. In such a hyper-visible business like owning/running a professional sports team, I think these guys have to do more and more counter productive poo poo because they need to prove that they are smart, and it's the fans/media/etc. who have always been dumb. If Aquilini ever truly let things run without him, that would kinda prove that he was the problem all along, and it would be a Pyrrhic victory if the only credit he got for Vancouver being good again was him backing off.

You see this happen daily, constantly, tragically at companies. If enough non-management types start to complain about a process or way of doing things at work, it's almost guaranteed that whatever manager steps in will do some other, non-requested, braindead solution, since they have to justify to themselves and everyone else that they are needed and that they have the biggest brain around. They gotta get some of the credit. They literally can't just do the obvious solution that everyone wants.

For what it's worth, you could call this the Dolan effect, since he's been doing this more or less for 20-30 years with the Knicks. He is thankfully less interested in hockey for whatever reason, but he still comes in once in awhile to make sure that he's known as the true architect behind this and that he won't just get Pyrrhic credit for not loving things up. When the Rangers had Torts, he let it be known sometimes to the media that he was a big driver in hiring Torts and that he felt the team was a contender. Then he let it be known that he heard the players' concerns and was involved in Vigneault (but he still loved Torts and was ready to bail if the AV hire failed). It's amazing how obvious of a source he is in Larry Brooks' columns over the years.

It's why I was so upset at the local + national media writing a bunch of articles a couple of years ago like "drat, Dolan's been hands off and let Gorton/Davidson put together a textbook rebuild. What a contrast to the way he runs the Knicks!". you mother fuckers, you stupid rear end holes. shut the gently caress up. I'm 1000% sure he read that and Glen Sather did his best Wormtongue and said "there's still a way we get credit if this team wins a Cup." and now I have to look at Chris loving Drury for the next however many years, who is not even a bad GM, I don't think. He's just not an obviously good one like Gorton and I hate his face and demeanor.

not sure what the answer is to this for Canucks fans. I think Aquilini is in the position now where he's so in the hole credit-wise that he'll keep doing it until he literally can't. I think the only way is for the entire province of British Columbia to do some type of mass Truman Show thing where they convince Aquilini that they all think stuff like "signing Bo Horvat for 9m/8years is the RIGHT thing to do" so he orders JR to trade him for a respectable haul immediately.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Can't wait to build a cup contender around players that might be as good as Justin Schultz or Ryan Strome if things go perfectly!

The Crosby era penguins won the 1st of their back to back cups with Justin Schultz pulling 1D duty

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

Nick Robertson is done for another 6 months. I don't think I have seen such a cursed player.

Hopefully he transferred all of his remaining positive vibes to Matthew Knies, our last great top 6 LW hope (my expectations for Amirov are tempered for, you know, reasons).

In other news, some Flyers fan's friend hand painted them this for Christmas:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hate that the Sabres have been good for stretches this season, because it gets my hopes up and then I have to watch games like the one today where everybody but Kyle Okposo looked like they slept through their alarm because they forgot there was a game and then scrambled to get to the arena on time. They were sleepwalking once again, very much like the game against the Flyers last week. Their last two wins were against Western Conference teams and they lost to the Flyers and Panthers which massively hurts their playoff chances. Cool cool love to be in an abusive relationship with my team. The only silver lining is that I have been riding my road bike on a trainer during the games and when they suck I hammer the pedals and probably burn twice as many calories. It also helps me work through some of the frustration, but only some.

The Bills barely beating the Dolphins yesterday also didn’t help my stress levels. Why must Buffalo be cursed like this

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Crosby era penguins won the 1st of their back to back cups with Justin Schultz pulling 1D duty

Noticeably absent from the Canucks roster: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Noticeably absent from the Canucks roster: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin.

You could probably get Phil Kessel

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens barely beat the Ducks and should have lost if Fowler had any hockey sense at all to anticipate Zegras' great pass.

gently caress me if this team isn't a pain to watch right now.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I know I'm late but I don't follow this stupid rear end in a top hat hockey team so I just found out about Gino Odjick :( It was a minor miracle he hung on as long as he did but it's still sad to see him go.

My favorite moments of his were when he fought the entire St. Louis Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_x-kYrZmY

When he scored on a penalty shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyeREQ1IXg

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Sabres and Kraken both looked like they were tired boys who ate too big of breakfasts. Oh well, the krakens streak couldn’t last forever.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/SpokedZ/status/1615071836198387712?s=20

The beautiful game

E I can’t read pages between mobile and home

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 17, 2023

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1615054451219496960

Hi CAS, FAS here to tell you this is very familiar to us and that should not reassure you

You're familiar with this? Are you familiar with the Jim Benning years?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
As someone who was calling for Jim Benning to be fired YEARS before the vast majority of the fan base, I’d be willing to rename the Jim Benning years to the Franfuckface Aquilini Era.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mike Works posted:

As someone who was calling for Jim Benning to be fired YEARS before the vast majority of the fan base, I’d be willing to rename the Jim Benning years to the Franfuckface Aquilini Era.

I can honestly say that Aquilini is a worse owner than Melnyk was. Even ignoring the hockey part, it's close, they are both trash. But at least Melnyk left the slate clean. I'd be thrilled if Vancouver had a full prospect cupboard, loads of cap space, and all its own draft picks year over year. Then I'd at least have the hope that things could become better next season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nicholas Backstrom actually looked like Nicholas Backstrom last night for the first time in a long time. Hip resurfacing surgery is no loving joke and it’s amazing he can even play. Google it up on youtube if you want to vomit.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Nicholas Backstrom actually looked like Nicholas Backstrom last night for the first time in a long time. Hip resurfacing surgery is no loving joke and it’s amazing he can even play. Google it up on youtube if you want to vomit.

Yeah it was fun to see him make some plays last night. He's still super slow but he seems maybe a step faster than last year. But until he proves otherwise I'm still skeptical he's going to be effective due to the nature of the surgery.

Wilson also had his best game since returning. Hopefully both guys were just rusty as hell and are back up to game speed because they're about to enter a tough stretch in their schedule.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah it was fun to see him make some plays last night. He's still super slow but he seems maybe a step faster than last year. But until he proves otherwise I'm still skeptical he's going to be effective due to the nature of the surgery.

Wilson also had his best game since returning. Hopefully both guys were just rusty as hell and are back up to game speed because they're about to enter a tough stretch in their schedule.

I think he probably toughs it out another year or two to be there when Ovi breaks Gretzky’s record. May retire soon after that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Caps came back from a three-goal deficit to win! ...against the Islanders, but still!

Mind_Taker posted:

I think the crucial thing for the Caps is not to loving scratch Strome so you can play Backstrom and Eller. These were the lines last night and I liked how balanced they were:

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Mantha-Kuzy-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson
Johansson-Dowd-Hathaway

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Who could have foreseen this? Aside from everyone who isn't a Sabres fan.
My early season prediction of finishing 18th in the league still seems about right for the Sabres. Teams that finish 18th tend to flirt with a wild card spot at times and then ultimately disappoint.

If they could get better at losing games in OT rather than regulation they'd be right up there in points with Calgary and Pittsburgh and sitting in a WC spot too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Buffalo never flirted with the wild card spot and even with a loser point in *every game they had in hand* which was 4 iirc they would still be 2 points behind the Isles and the Pens.

As it stands Buffalo is flirting with Philadelphia and Detroit in vaguely passable lower mid table mediocrity.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Buffalo has 12 players on Pronman's top 150 U23 prospect list (3 more than any other team), including 3 in the top 10. And Tage of course, isn't eligible.

So yeah, they're not going to make the playoffs this year but another mid round first pick (and 3 2nds!) in a good draft to go along with all that young talent isn't so bad. They certainly look like a team that's poised to be a force in the Atlantic for years to come.

The Atlantic is pretty interesting. I think Ottawa/Buffalo are pretty close to contending for a playoff spot, possibly as soon as 1-2 years. Montreal has some solid pieces but they would benefit greatly from getting into the top 4 of the lottery this year. Detroit is in that weird spot where they could really use another impact player from the draft. But in a year where the top 4 all project as potentially elite players, they've improved their roster enough to where it's not bottom of the league quality, especially with how bad the West is. I think Yzerman jumped the gun a bit on that rebuild / made some questionable signings.

All of those teams better hope Columbus doesn't get Bedard.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 17, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Nat to take anything away from Buffalo but Pronman is wrong a whole lot (he though K'Andre Miller was a sub par skater :lol: )

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
took my girlfriend to the garden for B's-Flyers yesterday, she'd never been to a sports game before. 6-0 ain't too bad for your first time watching hockey in person. I told her most of the time you just hope you hear the goal horn once lol

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Matt Zerella posted:

Nat to take anything away from Buffalo but Pronman is wrong a whole lot (he though K'Andre Miller was a sub par skater :lol: )

Yeah I almost put a disclaimer, but clearly Buffalo has a loaded system by any evaluation. Dahlin/Power/Cozens/Quinn/Kulich/Peterka/Savoie + a bunch of tier 2-3 guys who have NHL potential.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Matt Zerella posted:

Dallas fans aren't particularly fond of Corey Pronman... I don't think Dallas has ever had a prospect that has much impressed him, even guys who turned out to be elite talents like Heiskanen, Robertson and Hintz.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think he's particularly worse than the other usual suspects. Prospect evaluation is still pretty rough because of the data available. It has gotten better we're still kind of in stone age NHLe era.

The WJC stuff Lassi Alanen posted is really cool:

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1611454253222051841

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1611779583430238208

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1611753548814901250/photo/1

e: More teams not outright tanking for Bedard continues to be the most insane loving thing ever, especially when the next 3 guys all look great too. The NHL had this figured out in loving 1984! Just absolute lunacy that bad teams are trying to ice competitive teams this year

I mean really it's the Flyers, the Flyers are unreal

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 17, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TonyBrarOTV/status/1615424631175008259

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Buffalo never flirted with the wild card spot and even with a loser point in *every game they had in hand* which was 4 iirc they would still be 2 points behind the Isles and the Pens.

As it stands Buffalo is flirting with Philadelphia and Detroit in vaguely passable lower mid table mediocrity.
To a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years, coming within 4 points with 4 games in hand in January is "flirting with a playoff spot", even though they immediately struck out and wasted the games in hand.

Where would you rate the Penguins? Buffalo has 21 wins in 42gp. Pens have 22 wins in 43gp. They're 4 OTLs and a Skinner cross check to Geuntzel's face apart.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah predicting prospects isn't easy I think. Pronman seems to highly value very visual skills like skating, stick handling, shooting and I get the feeling he doesn't put a ton of stock in the idea of a prospect improving their skills/trajectory (which is difficult to predict for sure but not every prospect develops linearly)
But that said even within those skill categories he seems to have favorites. I think he didn't like Miller because he's a large defenseman with a long and smooth stride and doesn't look all that "active". He's not quick pivoting and rocketing around the rink so much but he covers far far more ground far far faster than you'd expect and his skating is absolutely an asset

but I'm not sure if there's really a great prospect ranker/predictor out there. You'd have to spend so much time trying to break down and analyze every prospect you'd never be able to do it all and you could still be wrong a lot of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Miller's compete is also crazy good, which he does acknowledge in this year's rankings. Dude battles