Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Huh...I don't think I remember the BSG finale at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Making God real was fine imo and worked with what we'd seen all through the show from the Head characters, the fatal mistake was just Lee's loving Awesome Plan

Even that could've worked if they really tied it properly into the physical breakdown of the fleet and their literal inability to sustain a high-tech civilisation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arivia posted:

I wonder how Voyager would have turned out if we got the Canadian version where Genevieve Bujold stuck around as Janeway BUT we also got Tom Jackson as Chakotay.

On paper Tom Jackson is obviously a huge upgrade, but I still think the writing would have sunk him. You could argue that Jackson would have fought against the bullshit notes Highwater gave the writers, but :shrug:

They were dead-set on having a generic mystical Native American because that stock character was all over early-mid 90s tv and I don’t think anything could have saved it from being offensive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On paper Tom Jackson is obviously a huge upgrade, but I still think the writing would have sunk him. You could argue that Jackson would have fought against the bullshit notes Highwater gave the writers, but :shrug:

They were dead-set on having a generic mystical Native American because that stock character was all over early-mid 90s tv and I don’t think anything could have saved it from being offensive.

Yeah, Beltran may have been bland but that was because he gave up in the face of the writing, if you watch the first few episodes you can see him with an actual character.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Angry Salami posted:

It wasn't named after Elon, it just smelled really bad.

Maybe it was named after how bad Elon smells?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

Huh...I don't think I remember the BSG finale at all...

They have a big massive battle between Galactica and the Good Cylons vs. the Evil Cylons to rescue Helo and Athena's daughter from them, and then jump away from a black hole blindly and just completely randomly wind up at Earth, only it's 150,000 BC and there's like 100 indigenous humans on the planet, so Lee comes up with the brilliant idea of just dropping the Colonial survivors onto Earth with literally the clothes on their back and auto piloting the fleet into the Sun. Everyone agrees for some reason, then it cuts to 2009 AD with Ron Moore reading a National Geographic magazine article about how Hera was actually Mitochondrial Eve and Head Six and Head Baltar show up and go "Man, that was really loving stupid, wasn't it?" "Yeah, but God did it, so we just gotta live with it. Wanna gently caress?"

THE END

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

They have a big massive battle between Galactica and the Good Cylons vs. the Evil Cylons to rescue Helo and Athena's daughter from them, and then jump away from a black hole blindly and just completely randomly wind up at Earth, only it's 150,000 BC and there's like 100 indigenous humans on the planet, so Lee comes up with the brilliant idea of just dropping the Colonial survivors onto Earth with literally the clothes on their back and auto piloting the fleet into the Sun. Everyone agrees for some reason, then it cuts to 2009 AD with Ron Moore reading a National Geographic magazine article about how Hera was actually Mitochondrial Eve and Head Six and Head Baltar show up and go "Man, that was really loving stupid, wasn't it?" "Yeah, but God did it, so we just gotta live with it. Wanna gently caress?"

THE END

Oh, and there was a montage of dancing robots.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you watch the Genevieve Bujold footage she just seems totally lost in her scenes. I don’t think it was ever going to work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I've said it many times, but Voyager absolutely survived on Kate Mulgrew's charisma and force of personality shining through despite the writing. They were extremely lucky to get her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats the deal with all these Star Trek actors turning into Chuds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think there's any great correlation, plenty of them are Hollywood libs or just normal it's only a couple pike Beltran and Schultz that seem to have gotten bad brains

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

It's just Beltran and Schultz, right? And even then Beltran seems to be able to keep it in check enough to keep getting a Trek paycheck and still be fast friends with the rest of the Voyager cast who are all strident Hollywood Liberals, which is more than I can say about Dwight Schultz.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Leaded dilithium

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's just Beltran and Schultz, right? And even then Beltran seems to be able to keep it in check enough to keep getting a Trek paycheck and still be fast friends with the rest of the Voyager cast who are all strident Hollywood Liberals, which is more than I can say about Dwight Schultz.

Beltran, Schultz, and iirc Sirtis now as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hollismason posted:

Actors aren’t good people just because they’re good actors. TNG and DS9 had a good cluster I suppose.

Fun fact, I gather Shimerman was on the SAG board during DS9.

E: Sirtis too?? What the heck. Did all the wine catch up to her or what

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Beltran, Schultz, and iirc Sirtis now as well.

Must have been a fairly recent turn for Sirtis then because she spent the entirety of the Trump Administration just dunking on chuds of all stripes on Twitter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What has Sirtis been saying?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dunno, but she deleted her Twitter account when Elon bought it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
A skim through Twitter looks like it was vaccine related, but given Twitter it could range from ‘disgruntlement with the mask mandates’ to ‘full-on antivaxx’.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

THE END

Yeah, the true ending should have been the cylons ending the human scourge at new Cap, but alas - no such luck.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
as far as I know, Marina Sirtis has always been fine, she pissed off a lot of liberals by telling Lin-Manuel Miranda to shut up once so maybe that's mutated into "troi's a chud now"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is this about a few years ago when, on Twitter, Mara Wilson recalled an encounter with Sirtis where she said "Native Americans have no culture" after she blew up at Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Which sounds really stupid but also kind of an isolated incident.

edit: a little slow on the draw, I was googling the specifics.

I'm kind of glad that I've never run into Dwight Schultz's chuddery in the wild.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Is this about a few years ago when, on Twitter, Mara Wilson recalled an encounter with Sirtis where she said "Native Americans have no culture" after she blew up at Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Which sounds really stupid but also kind of an isolated incident.

edit: a little slow on the draw, I was googling the specifics.

I'm kind of glad that I've never run into Dwight Schultz's chuddery in the wild.

I only learned that Dwight Shcultz was a massive rear end in a top hat only when he started doing video game voice acting roles in the 00s, after Voyager had went off the air.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Chairman posted:

as far as I know, Marina Sirtis has always been fine, she pissed off a lot of liberals by telling Lin-Manuel Miranda to shut up once so maybe that's mutated into "troi's a chud now"

She was probably 100% right too, though I don't know the details.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Chairman posted:

Nah, it was vaccine poo poo and vague garden variety British immigrant panic stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Making God real was fine imo and worked with what we'd seen all through the show from the Head characters, the fatal mistake was just Lee's loving Awesome Plan

the fatal problem with the bsg ending is needing the cult of daniel for the plot to make sense only for RDM to go "nope that's not it sorry didn't think of that" and provide literally 0 explanation of things happening otherwise

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm at the end of Season 6 for TNG and Season 1 for DS9 and it's been a collective nadir. There's been a handful of pretty mid TNG episodes like "Frame of Mind" and "Rightful Heir" and on the DS9 side you're getting an (a surprisingly anime) episode where O'Brien has to shout stories at a cloud so everyone's collective energy banishes it away from the planet or an episode where everyone's imaginations come alive so everyone can watch with great disgust as a fake Dax flirts with Bashir. There's an episode of DS9 where Kira has to evict an old farmer that most people dislike but out of the recent bunch that's been the best episode.

I'm not even out of this slump yet. I've got a few more episodes to go before both shows give me a good episode again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

I There's an episode of DS9 where Kira has to evict an old farmer that most people dislike but out of the recent bunch that's been the best episode.

People dislike that episode? I think it's great character growth for Kira and a hint of the gray moral area episodes to come in the series.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You've been listening to the wrong people (or just misremembered) because "Progress" (where Kira burns down the annoying farmer's house) is usually regarded as a season 1 highlight.

It sounds like you've already seen at least one after that, so luckily you're just about 4 episodes away from the end, and two of those are "Duet" (one of the best of the entire series) and the finale which sets up a lot of stuff for the rest of the series instead of TNG leftovers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kira burning down that dudes farm is hilarious overreaction.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lee Adama is history's greatest monster

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Lee Adama is history's greatest monster

Pre-history's greatest monster. :eng101:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Okay it's coming back to me. Can we get an AI remaster of BSG that puts Saturday Night Live caveman makeup on all the characters? Tyvm.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm at the end of Season 6 for TNG and Season 1 for DS9 and it's been a collective nadir. There's been a handful of pretty mid TNG episodes like "Frame of Mind"...

Gonna stop you right there. Frame of Mind is a great episode.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I need to know the political affiliations of the actors in a show so I can decide whether I like the show or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lincoln posted:

I need to know the political affiliations of the actors in a show so I can decide whether I like the show or not.

The great irony; I love Reg Barclay as a character, but knowing he's played by a tremendous rear end in a top hat makes me :smith:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

The great irony; I love Reg Barclay as a character, but knowing he's played by a tremendous rear end in a top hat makes me :smith:

Hats off to Dwight Schultz's acting ability because he was really good at portraying a character completely unlike himself - one who is not a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like for real, there is something deeply upsetting about knowing that Dwight Schultz as a person wants to make the world an objectively worse place to live in for people like Reginald Barclay :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lincoln posted:

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Manny Coto also turned out to be a massive chud. I vaguely remember him tearing into Linda Park online sometime after Trump won.