Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

Gotta show the people you’re protecting them from imminent danger.

Nah, it’s a limited special operation with no risk to anyone, which makes the optics on a park in Moscow currently being logged out for an S-400 quite funny.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why? Do they actually believe Moscow is somehow in danger or is this just for show?

Supposedly, this is a belated response to https://mil.in.ua/en/news/in-russia-an-unknown-drone-explodes-over-the-shaikovka-ab-where-tu-22m3-bombers-are-based/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oracle posted:

Gotta show the people you’re protecting them from imminent danger.

I Google lense'd this for anyone curious of the translation, also lol

quote:

S-400 air defense systems were deployed at the experimental fields of the Timiryazev Agricultural Academy in Moscow

From January 2, the military began to use the territory of the TSKhA near Valaamskaya Street for their own purposes.

It should be noted that for these lands, the TSHA team fought with the government of the Russian Federation, which for many years tried to select them for housing construction. The question was even brought to Putin's "direct line" in 2016, when he ordered "leave Timiryazevka alone."

Nevertheless, in 2021, the Academic Council unsuccessfully tried to transfer 15 hectares of fields to the LSR developer, despite the protests of the Academy staff.

At the same time, at the beginning of January 2023, the DOXA and Nakanune publications erroneously wrote about the beginning of the construction of Experimental Fields, confusing it with the deployment of air defense systems there.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Hasn't Russia been using the S-300 to fire at Ukraine recently since they're running low on missiles? Have they used the S-400 yet to strike at Ukraine?

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3653413-five-civilians-injured-as-russians-strike-zaporizhzhia-with-s300-missile.html

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Willo567 posted:

Hasn't Russia been using the S-300 to fire at Ukraine recently since they're running low on missiles? Have they used the S-400 yet to strike at Ukraine?

They are not going to use the S-400 for that. They really don't have that many of them. In contrast, something like 30k S-300P missiles have been built before the system started to get phased out in favor of the S-400. The oldest of those missiles have already aged out a while ago, and there's a new batch of a thousand or so that age out every year. Because of this, they can launch a whole bunch of S-300s as lovely ground attack missiles without really impacting their air defense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

They are not going to use the S-400 for that.

They seemingly did it on January 14, against Kyiv. https://defence-ua.com/video/rf_pochala_biti_z_s_400_raketami_48n6dm_po_mistah_zvidki_bjut_zagroza_ta_protidija-123.html

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why? Do they actually believe Moscow is somehow in danger or is this just for show?

Honestly? The Ukrainians have shown that they could probably hit Moscow if they can hit active military airbases similarly distant from the border. They're not going to go after like, the Kremlin, since that would lead to missiles targeting every government building in Kyiv. However I imagine there is some more purely-military target in Moscow that they could hit for huge symbolic value, but which wouldn't lead to missiles aiming for the Mariinskyi Palace.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-strikes-sap-ukraine-mobile-network-of-vital-power-11673747621 forgot to link this WSJ piece about the efforts to keep Ukraine’s mobile data network up.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

What's the range of the S-400 missiles? From Kyiv to Moscow it's around 800KM, so I'm wondering of they would actually fire missiles from Moscow if they can actually reach Kyiv or another part of Ukraine since they're putting the S-400 there

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 17, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

What's the range of the S-400 missiles? From Kyiv to Moscow it's around 800KM, so I'm wondering of they would actually fire missiles from Moscow if they can actually reach Kyiv or another part of Ukraine since they're putting the S-400 there

:psyduck: It’s around 200 km, what is this nonsense?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

S-400 has a range of 250km for aerial targets, no possible way it could hit Kyiv from Moscow

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cinci zoo sniper posted:

From Kyiv to Moscow? That seems short.

I mean ultimately I assume these missiles are going to be used for closer range air defense to avoid more embaressment not in a surface-to-surface role so it seems moot either way.

Edit: Nevermind you were talking about the range of the S400.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

... okay, this is just another time when Russian actions in this war just make me scratch my head. Why would they do that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

... okay, this is just another time when Russian actions in this war just make me scratch my head. Why would they do that?

I have no credible theories apart from Iskander ammunition production struggling.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

adebisi lives posted:

If there was ever a myth of the invulnerable Abrams the Saudis have already ruined it in Yemen fighting some of poorest downtrodden people on the planet so I doubt that's the reason they're not being sent to Ukraine

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-tactical/why-are-houthis-rebelling/

The Saudi's have the export variant Abrahams as far as I know. The export variants do not have the depleted uranium armor schema the American versions have--that armor thinkness, composition, and layout is literally the most protected secret about the Abrahams.

I am not sure the American variants would be handed to the Ukrainians if the US ever decided to arm the UAF with American tanks; however, the Saudi loss of export Abrahams in Yemen really gives you no real information about how the American version would perform in sustained combat.

I can tell you that in the 20 years of the war on terror something like 3 Abrahams were lost in combat, none of those combat losses involved penetration of the crew compartment, and as I recall in the one case the tank could not be retrieved not even fire from other Abrahams could take out the tank, so the ground forces involved literally ended up having to call in an air strike to destroy the disabled tank so that it couldn't be recovered by someone who might tow away the wreck and sell it to Russia or China.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Iirc the armor composition is the second most guarded secret. How to properly spell Abrams is still the biggest one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

I am not sure the American variants would be handed to the Ukrainians if the US ever decided to arm the UAF with American tanks; however, the Saudi loss of export Abrahams in Yemen really gives you no real information about how the American version would perform in sustained combat.
The russians loved to say that about their export variants. Also it's Abrams.

ZombieLenin posted:

I can tell you that in the 20 years of the war on terror something like 3 Abrahams were lost in combat, none of those combat losses involved penetration of the crew compartment, and as I recall in the one case the tank could not be retrieved not even fire from other Abrahams could take out the tank, so the ground forces involved literally ended up having to call in an air strike to destroy the disabled tank so that it couldn't be recovered by someone who might tow away the wreck and sell it to Russia or China.
The iraqi army/insurgency knocked out over 80 M1's in OIF alone what the gently caress are you talking about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have no credible theories apart from Iskander ammunition production struggling.

Beyond just Iskander's, Russia's been using an absolute hodgepodge of missiles the entire time. notably s400 production lines have very likely been going at full speed since before the war even started so they're likely being replenished as quickly as anything. and +1 missile is +1 chance to get something through Ukraine's AD

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I wonder what armour will be on the Challengers we hand over? I assume we don't want the Russians getting hold of whatever the latest version of chobham is, but I don't know how replaceable it is. I believe only one has been lost, to friendly fire.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

evil_bunnY posted:

The russians loved to say that about their export variants. Also it's Abrams.

The iraqi army/insurgency knocked out over 80 M1's in OIF alone what the gently caress are you talking about.

I think there's a distinction in how the enemy took out those M1s in Iraq. Taking out the tracks or destroying external fuel tanks so as to make the tank inoperable is not the same as penetrating the crew compartment.

I don't know if I can believe all the "magic armor" stories without reading more on the subject, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you're counting mobility kills as "knocked out", 80 might be accurate. That's still a very low number given the number of advanced ATGMs available to the insurgency. And nevermind the absolutely gigantic IEDs that were showing up even in late 2003 (e.g. chaining a dozen 155mm HE rounds together 2 meters from a road).

I do know that at least one Abrams had its crew compartment penetrated via an advanced anti-tank missile (RPG-29, I think?). I vaguely recall that the crew survived that strike, but am not certain. Even at the time it was somewhat apocryphal, albeit I saw some photos.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I didn't know the range of the missiles, which is why I asked. Sorry

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I do know that at least one Abrams had its crew compartment penetrated via an advanced anti-tank missile (RPG-29, I think?). I vaguely recall that the crew survived that strike, but am not certain. Even at the time it was somewhat apocryphal, albeit I saw some photos.
RPG-29 is a basic bitch tandem warhead

Like I said: turret front: real good, everything else: could get dicey. The magic sauce of the abrams is the combo of good sensors, good main armament, and being employed properly. When you take the last one away (see Irak, KSA employments) the magic disappears.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Are there any reliable figures out there on how many Abrams the Saudis have lost on their misadventures?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I didn't know the range of the missiles, which is why I asked. Sorry

The problem here is not you knowing the range of this or that missile, but that you were somehow reading the sequence of recent S-400-related posts into a “theory” that the Russian government could plausibly chop clearings out in the parks of Moscow to establish space for launching missiles against Ukraine. This is so, so, so bizarrely nonsensical thing to pivot to that I cannot even make that sentence look normal.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Iirc the armor composition is the second most guarded secret. How to properly spell Abrams is still the biggest one.

It actually just got leaked on the War Thunder forums this week.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I know that one of the main issues that gets cited with giving Abrams (and Abraham's) to Ukraine is the logistical issues. Things like maintaining the turbine engines they use etc. So my question is what is the difference between the logistics challenges the Ukrainian military would have versus if the US military itself (hypothetically) was using the tanks in Ukraine? Would the difference be that the US would set up logistics depots close enough to service tanks on the Frontline which maybe is not something Ukraine could do on its own? Or is it that the US already has personnel trained and equipped for all these duties whereas Ukraine has none? I suspect it's that. Also what are the logistics challenges like with Abrams versus Challenger tanks? Both weigh about the same. I think the Challenger uses a standard diesel engine though so that might make things easier.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blut posted:

Are there any reliable figures out there on how many Abrams the Saudis have lost on their misadventures?

There's an article from 2016 about a US shipment of tanks that included 20 that were specifically replacements for tanks that had been lost.

So I guess you could estimate from that that they've lost at least 20 and that was after 1 year of war, and assuming losses have continued at the same pace (not likely) it could be they've lost some ~150 or so in total.

I assume alot of Saudi Abrams losses are basically from situations where anyone who put themselves in that situation would have lost the tank due to poor training, leadership and shortage of infantry*. Probably alot of them are tanks advancing without infantry support, getting hit, and the poorly trained crew, with no awareness of their surroundings, panicking and possibly abandoning the tank.

*IIRC the Saudi military is chronically undermanned, and understrength formations are the norm, and they've probably "solved" this similarly to the Russians earlier in the invasion by just ditching the infantrymen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They have solved their infantry shortages by abducting African war orphans (orphaned in conflicts they finance) and fighting alongside Al Quaeda

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Netherlands plan to chip in with their own Patriot.

https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1615439878577164289

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
People in Moscow tried to organise a small memorial to the victims of the Dnipro missile strike at the statue of the Ukrainian female writer Lesya Ukrainka (Moscow has a lot of statues of writers from 'minority nation republics' left from the Soviet era).

https://twitter.com/sevslv/status/1615470984563236895

It didn't take long before some of them got arrested.
https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1615432335402352641

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://v.redd.it/i07a063ighca1

Video of a radio getting stolen by a drone.

Does this mean war is changing? Or has it already changed?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Australia sending a contingent today over to the UK to assist with training today
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ed-environments

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pentagon Press Sec did a press conference, links below, I've cut out everything that is not about Ukraine, as this is a general press conference covering topics beyond the scope of Ukraine. Not much today.

Link:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...n-camera-press/

Highlights:
-US Patriot training ongoing. Plan is for one tranche of training one battery-ish worth of people. The US is not conducting training in support of the German pledge of their own Patriot Battery. Patriot training will last for months. I cut out a lot of questions about doing press coverage/video of it, but the press wants to go see it and the DOD is being a bit noncommittal.
-No details on the Russian missile strike on an apartment building in Dnipro.
-Maybe more details after the next contact group meeting (multiple countries getting together to discuss collective pledges, way ahead for support to Ukraine, etc)

quote:

BRIGADIER GENERAL PAT RYDER: Good afternoon, everyone.

All right, just a few things, and we'll get to your questions.

Tomorrow Secretary Austin will depart for Germany, where he and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Milley, will host and convene another session of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group at Ramstein Airbase. And as I highlighted earlier, the contact group has been instrumental in identifying, synchronizing and ensuring delivery of the military capabilities the Ukrainians need to defend their homeland against Russian aggression. The secretary and the chairman look forward to meeting with defense leaders from the approximately 50 nations that comprise this important group dedicated to Ukraine self-defense. Prior to his arrival at Ramstein, Secretary Austin will travel to Berlin to meet with the incoming German minister of defense, Boris Pistorius.

Q: Hi, Pat. I want to ask about the Ukrainians getting trained at Fort Sill. Have all the Ukrainians arrived? Has training begun?

And just putting in a request for all of our media organizations, can we get some access, some video, to be able to show what's happening there?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Tara. On the latter point, we are certainly aware of the requests for media access and are in communication with the Army on that front. So we'll keep you updated.

Training has begun. As we've talked about before, that training will last for several months and train upwards of 90 to 100 Ukrainians on use of the Patriot missile system. And so those troops have arrived at Fort Sill and have begun their training. Thank you.

Q: Thanks. AP is reporting that the prime minister of the Netherlands has said that they are going to send a Patriot missile defense system to Ukraine. He's here in Washington. Can the Pentagon confirm that that's happening?

And then I have one other follow-up?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I cannot. I'd have to refer you to the Netherlands to talk about that.

Q: Just back to the Patriot training, I'm wondering, since there will be at least one more Patriot battery coming from Germany, is there going to be another tranche of 90 to 100 Ukrainian forces training at Fort Sill? Is that going to be part of another tranche in a couple months once this is finished, or are there going to be more forces coming to train at the same time?

GEN. RYDER: Sure. So as of today, this is the only tranche, but of course, we'll continue to keep that dialogue open. And certainly, Fort Sill has the capability and the capacity to train many different nations, obviously, on Patriots, so that's something that we'll continue to take into account. But as of right now, this is the group that's coming through to train on the U.S. Patriot that we're providing.

Q: So if I could follow up then, how is that going to work when there are potentially two Patriots in Ukraine, but only 100 guys that can operate --?

GEN. RYDER: So you're talking about the German-provided Patriots.

Q: Yes.

GEN. RYDER: So really, the Germans, that's a question for them in terms of what their game plan is in terms of training on that system. Again, we will stay open in terms of talking with the Germans and others on how we can best provide support and training to the Ukrainians. But your question was whether or not there will be another group coming in through Fort Sill, and I'm telling you right now, I'm not aware at this time of another group coming through.

Q: Okay, thank you.

GEN. RYDER: Now, let me do one more from the phone here. I'll come back in the room. JJ Green?

Q: Thank you, General, for taking this question. A number of sources and people that are observing Russia, Moscow, say that it appears as though Moscow is taking several defensive steps in and around the city. And there have been a number of think tanks and Western intelligence agencies talking for months about Russia possibly making this a wider war or a more conventional conflict. What has the Pentagon seen and noted, in terms of Russia's posture right now?

GEN. RYDER: Thanks, JJ. And just to clarify, around which city did you say?

Q: Moscow.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I don't have any comments to provide in terms of Russian internal defense around Moscow. I think, as we look at the battlefield in Ukraine, we've seen, for the most part, Russia essentially dig in along the forward line of troops, with the exception of course being in the vicinity of Bakhmut and Soledar of course.

I have seen press reports talking about Russian efforts to strengthen some of their air defenses, based on mysterious explosions that happened at air bases in their country, but I'm not going to have anything to provide on that. Thank you.

All right, let me go back to the room. Tom, and then we'll go to Nancy.

Q: Thanks, General. What information do you all have, if any, on the missile that struck over the weekend in Ukraine that killed 40 people? There have been some reports that it was a hypersonic missile. Can you shed any light on that please? Thanks.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so I don't have any detailed reporting on the specifics, other than to say again we do know that Russia launched a very heavy salvo of missiles from aircraft, from naval vessels, and from land against Ukrainian civilian infrastructure and civilian targets over the weekend.

I think, again, it just highlights the nature of this conflict and the lack of civility on the part of Russian forces when it comes to targeting civilians.

Q: Thanks. General, the former U.S. Army Europe Commander Ben Hodges tweeted recently in that the U.S. should now be providing Ukraine with ATACMS, Gray Eagles, small diameter bombs, to deny Russia the use of logistics hubs in Crimea and in Russia and Belarus.

The U.S. recently crossed a threshold in sending armored vehicles to help Ukraine take back territory. What's the Defense Secretary's view now on sending precision weapons with ranges of as much as 300 kilometers?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, well, I think Secretary Austin's been very clear that we continue to maintain an active and ongoing dialogue with our Ukrainian partners, with the international community, on what are Ukraine's most urgent needs when it comes to the battlefield and the current situation there.

And so going into, for example, the contact group this week, he'll have the opportunity to have those discussions with his Ukrainian counterpart and with our other allies and partners around the table to do exactly that -- what are the kinds of things that Ukraine needs to be able to defend themselves and also take back their sovereign territory?

So as we have new announcements to make, we'll certainly be sure to pass those along.

Q: Has there been any movement on that conversation or has it been largely in the same place as it's been --

GEN. RYDER: Well, I think that's a matter of perspective, right? So, I mean if you look at this campaign in its totality, if you would ask that question one month into the campaign -- so it's relative, right? We're going to continue to adapt and evolve and tailor that assistance based on the situation on the ground and based on the capabilities that we can get there to them quickly. So thank you.

Tara?

Q: Just a follow-up on the Patriots. How much of the training will be focused on maintenance? And will there be any external support provided, like additional maintenance support provided by the U.S., additional spares, or are the Ukrainians going to be responsible for keeping the system operational on the ground?

GEN. RYDER: So in terms of the maintenance, I'd refer you to the Army for more granular level of detail. I would tell you that maintenance will be an aspect -- operations and maintenance will be an aspect of the training.

And in terms of maintenance writ large, when it comes to the capabilities that we are providing on the battlefield, one of the -- one of the techniques that we've used, as you know, is essentially tele-maintenance, right, so remote maintenance capabilities.

So that will be something that we will continue to provide to the Ukrainians, not only on the Patriot system but on a variety of systems as they are employed in the battlefield. Thanks very much.

Q: In your assessment -- thank you. In your assessment, how do the British tanks -- what impact will British tanks have on the ground in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Well, broadly speaking -- and again, I'll allow the UK to speak for itself, in terms of the capabilities that it may or may not provide. Broadly speaking, again, as an international community, any type of capability that we're able to provide to Ukraine to assist them in their efforts to defend their territory and be prepared to take back territory I think is a good thing.

Certainly, as we've talked about before, having armored-type of capabilities gives them another capability to employ on the ground in order to change the equation on the battlefield, especially as we've seen some of those lines become static.

But again, at the end of the day, it's up to Ukraine on how best to employ those capabilities. The only other thing I'd say on that is the capabilities they've been provided, they've employed to great effect. Thank you.

Q: And if I may, now that other allies are sending or considering sending tanks to Ukraine, how does this change the U.S. position on sending American tanks to Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: So again, I don't have anything to announce. I think we've been very clear, when we do have something to announce, we'll be providing the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, as you know, which again is an armored capability. And so, you know, when and if we have something new to announce, we will.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Do you think there will be any impact on German policy regarding Ukraine? Obviously Scholz is the real decision maker, but presumably the Minister of Defense has some influence here.
Like others said, there is probably no direct impact from Pistorius himself. However, there is a big meeting of all the relevant defense ministers of the West on Friday in Ramstein with regards to further military support for Ukraine. The political commentariat’ expectation is that it is unlikely that Scholz will immediately throw his new defense minister to the wolves by having him block deliveries of Leopards by other countries.

So indirectly the change could lead to Leopards being delivered. But overall, Scholz is the main factor blocking so far, and everyone else can only increase the pressure and the political cost for continuing that.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ronenbergman/status/1615499462511628292?s=20&t=8oXCJH_t_c96mmpfhWRgXw

Some bits from article:

quote:

The Pentagon is tapping into a vast but little-known stockpile of American ammunition in Israel to help meet Ukraine’s dire need for artillery shells in the war with Russia, American and Israeli officials say.

The stockpile provides arms and ammunition for the Pentagon to use in Middle East conflicts. The United States has also allowed Israel to access the supplies in emergencies.

quote:

The Ukrainian army uses about 90,000 artillery rounds a month, about twice the rate they are being manufactured by the United States and European countries combined, U.S. and Western officials say. The rest must come from other sources, including existing stockpiles or commercial sales.

quote:

Israel has imposed a near-total embargo on selling weapons to Ukraine, fearing that Russia might retaliate by using its forces in Syria to limit Israeli airstrikes aimed at Iranian and Hezbollah forces there.

Israel’s relationship with Russia has come under close scrutiny since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last February, and Ukrainian officials have called out Israel’s government for offering their country only limited support and bowing to Russian pressure.

As the war dragged on, the Pentagon and the Israelis reached an agreement to move about 300,000 155-millimeter shells, Israeli and American officials said.

The American desire to move the munitions was officially submitted in an encrypted phone conversation between the U.S. secretary of defense, Lloyd J. Austin III, and Benny Gantz, the Israeli minister of defense at the time, according to an Israeli official who was briefed on the details of the conversation.

quote:

The Israeli officials said that Israel had not changed its policy of not providing Ukraine with lethal weapons and rather was acceding to an American decision to use its own ammunition as it saw fit.

“Based on a U.S. request, certain equipment was transferred to the U.S. D.O.D. from its stockpiles” in Israel, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces said in a statement, referring to the Department of Defense.
[/quote[

[quote]U.S. officials say that accessing the overseas stocks will help tide over the Ukrainians until American ammunition makers can ramp up their production.

Other factors may ease the pressure for more shells. Russia’s artillery fire has reduced sharply in recent weeks, Pentagon officials said, possibly reflecting rationing of rounds because of low supplies. White House officials said in November that North Korea was shipping artillery shells to Russia, another sign of likely munitions shortages, U.S. officials said.

Finally, the United States is helping Ukraine use ammunition more efficiently. The Ukrainians have been firing so many artillery barrages that about a third of the 155-millimeter howitzers provided by the United States and other Western nations are out of commission for repairs.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://v.redd.it/i07a063ighca1

Video of a radio getting stolen by a drone.

Does this mean war is changing? Or has it already changed?

While that is extremely hilarious, I'd guess that US/UKR SIGINT was already perfectly capable of hearing everything RU transmits

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

You miss the core point I was making. It isn't the quality or the quantity of the tanks they do have that are stopping them from liberating the country. They have tanks in sufficient numbers if the OSINT guys are correct. If the OSINT guys are not correct and there is a chronic shortage of tanks or ammunition to feed the Russian models they have then a dozen or so tanks as I said is not sufficient and the US should just start refurbing their old M1s lying around in the desert and ship them en-masse to the Ukrainians. I suspect it's more of a lack of trained units capable of executing their own version of OIF. This was evident in the case of the Kherson campaign where over the course of several months, isolated incidents of what sounded like Ukrainian regulars in AFVs overran Russian positions but they never exploited it to the hilt and indeed allowed the Russians to pull out of Kherson without extracting a significant pound of flesh in their most vulnerable moments. In that case, Western tanks also don't do much of anything. Would Western tanks be better? Absolutely. Would it change the attritional nature of this war? I don't see how 100 Leopards are going to be the Wunderweapon that breaks Russia's back and swiftly evicts them all the way to the '91 borders.

That's what I mean when I say tanks are tanks. I 100% get the propaganda value etc of this handful of tanks. That is not what I was discussing.

There also has to be an understanding from the observer imo that the duty isn't to ensure that any and all targets hit are 100% for sure linked to the degradation of the military capabilities of your opponent. You shouldn't need ironclad proof that the target is associated with military value before striking it. Clearly, there is room for nuance. A duty of care required is a lot different from say a railway yard, a powerplant, or a hospital building, vs the indiscriminate bombing of an industrial area.

MikeC posted:

No, the assertion that Ukraine has the tanks it needs is my take given OSINT numbers for Russian lost or captured vs Ukrainian lost vs captured and the fact that the Pentagon thinks the Russians were already at a deficit in April. If OSINT is wrong on the numbers (ie the the Ukrainians lost way more or the Russians lost way less from that point on), then naturally my take would be incorrect.

Similar to how the Leopards were supposed to be "trash" after the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_al-Bab al-Bad. A tank is still a tank especially if not being crewed by competent soldiers or being put in the right place to succeed. People get caught up in all the fancy bells and whistles. Job one is to get a competent tank crew though and people who employ them appropriately.

Once you have a tank, all those' fancy bells and whistles' matter a hell of a lot. Even a crappier crew fights a lot better with a better tank. Never mind that the amount of tanks they need will always be "more", and they will always need 'better'. Training matters, of course, but once you have training, better tanks get a lot better results.

Never mind all this "I have mathematically calculated the exact number of tanks Ukraine will need" stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SaTaMaS posted:

While that is extremely hilarious, I'd guess that US/UKR SIGINT was already perfectly capable of hearing everything RU transmits

I'm entirely positive that even if the US military could break modern encryption, we would not share that with Ukraine. Or anyone.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

I'm entirely positive that even if the US military could break modern encryption, we would not share that with Ukraine. Or anyone.

I agree the stolen radio is probably nothing, but as a counterpoint I would also be surprised if Russian radios are the latest crypto standards. Give it good odds that it's using some old 70s stuff like DES or comedy option some American chip with a NSA backdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I agree the stolen radio is probably nothing, but as a counterpoint I would also be surprised if Russian radios are the latest crypto standards. Give it good odds that it's using some old 70s stuff like DES or comedy option some American chip with a NSA backdoor.

If the radio is using modern encryption standards, stealing it would not be nothing (at least for a little bit, until they realized what happened and change the encryption keys, or whatever the radio equivalent is). I'm saying that there is actually probably value there. If the radio is old / obsolete, it's less valuable because we could already break it.