Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I am very fond of 3H’s cast and narrative but the Slithers are a gaping chest wound on the story in just how absolutely terrible they are. Which is even weirder when they actually do have a reasonable backstory and motive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah but they have sick dubstep so who's actually terrible huh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dubstep did more to characterize them than the game did

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The dubstep was pretty sick

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Soren flirting with Aimee to get the Silver Card is one of my favorite exchanges in the series

Absolutely

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They also get God Shattering Star since Nemesis technically would be a Slitherer, or at least a Slitherer experiment so they don't lack in the music department.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Party Miser posted:

I'm surprised by how many people dislike Three Houses. It's still my favorite fire emblem and I'm cautiously eager for Engage. It did a lot of things I enjoyed while playing on casual/normal difficulty. I look forward to another casual friendly game to sink way too many hours in.

130k people are on a sub reddit for fire emblem, if you assume every single one hates fe3h

4 million copies were sold for three houses

Small minority is an understatement

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://twitter.com/RenOrRaven/status/1615380837868109824

quote:

Fire Emblem Engage is bad at almost everything Three Houses succeeds at, but somehow manages to make up for this through tactical excellence.

quote:

Herein lies the first, major divergence from Three Houses—characters exist free of any real ideology or perspective. In Three Houses, the Blue Lions run requires Byleth, the game’s own divine protagonist, to navigate the messy racial hierarchy of a monarchy which only recently halted its colonial advances. The Golden Deer asks you to consider if political neutrality and human kindness can coexist in the face of empire. The Black Eagles route attempts to present a revolutionary future, but one that is enforced through conquest. Three Houses, for all of its failures, is a game that asks questions about the world, and how the player feels about it.

Fire Emblem Engage does not even bother to ask questions like this. Its characters are utterly two dimensional—they are collections of traits and personality quirks, which never change or come into real conflict with one another. Everyone from Firene is peace loving. The prince, and both of his retainers, are obsessed with working out. Alfred is defined by his inability to fit into noble customs, Etie by being both strong and cute, and Boucheron by being a gentle giant. This basic approach to characters, in which each group of nobles and retainers share a central theme or character trait, defines almost every group of characters you meet.

It feels like a Saturday morning cartoon, right down to its extremely entertaining opening song, one in which everything goes back to normal by the end of the next episode. Upon being introduced in a classic transformation scene, Marth says to the camera, “I am Marth. Emblem Marth…to be clear.” And then it holds on his face, as if it expects the audience to laugh along with how absurd that line is. And in its best moments, I did laugh along.

quote:

Fire Emblem Engage is obsessed with the series’ past. It builds itself around the protagonists of previous games, re-uses those game’s most memorable maps, and builds its narrative around referencing the beats of older, better told stories. If the next Fire Emblem game is like this, it will be a disappointment. Engage’s tactics, however, set a new standard for the series. IntelligentSystems managed to perfectly meld mechanics and tone, but the tone they picked was fun, but ultimately empty. If they could manage to apply these same principles to more interesting narrative ends, the next Fire Emblem game would be the series’ best.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah that sounds right so far.

Maps/battles are great. Actual locations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

byleth mostly navigated the racial conflicts by pointing to dedue and going 'i mean hes cool' and dedue went 'i am indeed cool' and then racism was over

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the golden deer route asked you to consider if the developers of dynasty tactics 2 were really up to the task of making a fire emblem game with four routes and if reusing the silver snow route almost completely was worth pretending claude was relevant

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
the best Final Fantasy is the Saturday Morning Cartoon one which focuses on its mechanics so my hopes are increasing for SMC Fire Emblem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Trampoline posted:

the best Final Fantasy is the Saturday Morning Cartoon one which focuses on its mechanics so my hopes are increasing for SMC Fire Emblem

ff5 is a very good comparison point for this game yeah.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Mystic Quest?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
3haus did one thing extremely correct that engage did not and that's the simple fact of

you get the vast majority of your krew right from the onset, no early game hell of having five idiot babies give me the full SQUAD

which is also why the cast is more memorable given that they're, you know. there.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

the golden deer route asked you to consider if the developers of dynasty tactics 2 were really up to the task of making a fire emblem game with four routes and if reusing the silver snow route almost completely was worth pretending claude was relevant

I mostly like how they just gloss over Silver Snow entirely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thought that made the 3h cast way less memorable and distinct tbh. they just came to you in a giant blob. getting characters throughout the game means you can get to know people as they come in and their introductions can express their personalities a bit more. like they're still some of the better characters in the series but mechanics matter too. pent is a pretty bland character but hes super memorable because he pops up and solos an entire desert map and then joins a few maps later and youre super pumped to get that beast on your team.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That review sounds like what I was expecting but also I’m mostly fine with it. Even if the narrative and cast are bland and bad if it’s a good time on Hard Mode I’ll be happy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hard mode's really fun. enemies in this game hit like loving pick-up trucks. its not just ignore break that makes knights good, its that theyre the only guys in the game who can survive more than 2-3 combats in an enemy phase. even vander can be killed by a couple axe guys as early as chapter 6.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The tactics/battles are great. The characters are too, it's just they're mostly like this:

It's really light hearted so far even if people are dying. It's very fun I wouldn't worry

Endorph posted:

hard mode's really fun. enemies in this game hit like loving pick-up trucks. its not just ignore break that makes knights good, its that theyre the only guys in the game who can survive more than 2-3 combats in an enemy phase. even vander can be killed by a couple axe guys as early as chapter 6.

Yeah they hit hard af

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJCOoTp6v5I

If you wanted a tutorial video, well, here it is.

drat this person is way too enthusiastic about basic game tutorials

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

This is incredible news and I'm excited for friday

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

i thought that made the 3h cast way less memorable and distinct tbh. they just came to you in a giant blob. getting characters throughout the game means you can get to know people as they come in and their introductions can express their personalities a bit more. like they're still some of the better characters in the series but mechanics matter too. pent is a pretty bland character but hes super memorable because he pops up and solos an entire desert map and then joins a few maps later and youre super pumped to get that beast on your team.

We haven’t had a hard enemy recruit in a while and that goes a long way in making a unit memorable. You know Ayra’s a badass because you had to navigate a death puzzle to even recruit her. Jamka’s section of Chapter 1 is hugely contrived to make him look way more powerful than he is for the rest of the game and I’d argue that is the main factor in his popularity.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Barreft posted:

The tactics/battles are great. The characters are too, it's just they're mostly like this:

It's really light hearted so far even if people are dying. It's very fun I wouldn't worry

Yeah they hit hard af

I've been reading some of the mined supports and every single character seems at least a little like some weirdo dork rear end. I'm really down for this right now.

Not to say I haven't seen any depth, but it definitely tilts towards goofy in most supports.

Vander knits :allears:

Goldmary is such a piece of poo poo I love her

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's poo poo like that that has me torn. What Endorph said about the gameplay is everything I want. But on the other hand, every time someone speaks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

It's poo poo like that that has me torn. What Endorph said about the gameplay is everything I want. But on the other hand, every time someone speaks.

Turn on japanese voices and skip the text, you can make it through this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

the dialog's fine honestly. the divine dragon crew and the firene nobles make a really rough first impression because they're the blandest, nicest and most player worshippy of the lot. but the rest of the cast's decent-good. diamant is cool, the non-retainer characters are all solid, and solm do the 'group of nice people' thing better because they're all way livelier about it. and goldmary's just one of my favorite FE characters, shes hilarious. rosado and hortensia are solid, too.

and i came around on framme and celine and her retainers after doing their supports, and vander's Fine. clanne's always pretty annoying tho and alfred and his retainers feel like they had one personality stretched across the three of them.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

As someone who really enjoyed Awakening, Shadows of Valentia, and Fates, I'm hoping that Engage will evolve on the stuff I liked there. The tactical battles and progression sound great, and the home base stuff sounds very similar to how your little demiplane stronghold in Fates functioned. It would be super cool if the player could build their own little flying island level and then defend it from attackers or attack instanced versions of ones other players had made. The asynchronous multiplayer stuff we had back in the 3DS streetpass days was pretty neat!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Trust Endorph over me, cause the only FE I played before this was 3H, but I put in over 100 hours and did every branch so it's like a Boss Baby 1 and 2 situation for me

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

the dialog's fine honestly. the divine dragon crew and the firene nobles make a really rough first impression because they're the blandest, nicest and most player worshippy of the lot. but the rest of the cast's decent-good. diamant is cool, the non-retainer characters are all solid, and solm do the 'group of nice people' thing better because they're all way livelier about it. and goldmary's just one of my favorite FE characters, shes hilarious. rosado and hortensia are solid, too.

and i came around on framme and celine and her retainers after doing their supports, and vander's Fine. clanne's always pretty annoying tho and alfred and his retainers feel like they had one personality stretched across the three of them.

I'll just skip the first few characters because their designs looked pretty bad to begin with and the people from Red Land looked the best anyway. How tolerable is the teal haired pegasus lady, Chloe I think?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Eimi posted:

I'll just skip the first few characters because their designs looked pretty bad to begin with and the people from Red Land looked the best anyway. How tolerable is the teal haired pegasus lady, Chloe I think?

I don't think you'll like this game, but we'll see.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

This is a bizarre way to look at the game and I’d probably just cut my losses if I were you

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is a bizarre way to look at the game and I’d probably just cut my losses if I were you

Especially since you're with them for a very long time, still in my case.

I like Etie, she shoots a mean bow and actually has a deep female voice instead of squeaks like most of the others so far. Only 6 hours in though

e: Boucheron is supposed to have giantism right? He's like Andre the Giant

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if it helps i didnt deploy many of the firene characters either. chloe is okay. nothing especially interesting but she barely mentions food despite her feh intro and i like her supports with celine.

heres my ranking of characters based on writing. nothing that wasnt shown in trailers.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 18, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

e: editted

lots of spoilers in there, even some for me lol

e: the she's okay but her alear supports especially

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 18, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

We haven’t had a hard enemy recruit in a while and that goes a long way in making a unit memorable. You know Ayra’s a badass because you had to navigate a death puzzle to even recruit her. Jamka’s section of Chapter 1 is hugely contrived to make him look way more powerful than he is for the rest of the game and I’d argue that is the main factor in his popularity.

I miss enemy recruits a bunch.

Hopefully one day they come back.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The player character jerk off sounds insufferable but whatever, murdering people good so game good and it seems like there is enough likeable characters I’ll live with it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Look if the game play is as good as Endorph and other reviews have suggested, I will enjoy it even if I'm bitching the entire time. And the option for Japanese is always there if I just want to not care about what everyone is saying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barreft posted:

lots of spoilers in there, even some for me lol

e: the she's okay but her alear supports especially
shes in the intro cutscene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna play on hard and it sounds like I'll probably get my rear end kicked lol

Endorph posted:

I like that armor knights sound like actually really valuable tanks after kinda ignoring them in most of my 3H runs