Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Yeah I have enough that I don't think twice about rerolling the same blueprint until I get the upgraded version.

Tell me about this? You keep crafting the same item and sometimes it's a more powerful version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

Tell me about this? You keep crafting the same item and sometimes it's a more powerful version?

Yup. On the crafting results screen there's a gear icon with a swooshing arrow pointing up next to the name of the item when it's the upgraded version. Some pretty nice boosts, like hundreds more in damage or higher Momentum Gen %. I don't know what the odds are for getting it but on average it's been within a few rolls.

I did Floor 30 quite a lot for a while there and amassed a warchest from it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I never noticed that!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

i'm on like day 70 in Midnight Suns and only just got the Venom Sample. (spoiler of fairly early story mission). I've been spending way more time doing side missions and relationship work. I feel like there's so much more to the game but going through the same loops just on missions feels so good. Just load up, see what my mission options are, do daily training with one of the people I want to take out on the mission and go. I probably wouldn't even have gotten as far as I did if it wasn't for the fact it was gating me from getting the other words of power.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

RevKrule posted:

i'm on like day 70 in Midnight Suns and only just got the Venom Sample. (spoiler of fairly early story mission). I've been spending way more time doing side missions and relationship work. I feel like there's so much more to the game but going through the same loops just on missions feels so good. Just load up, see what my mission options are, do daily training with one of the people I want to take out on the mission and go. I probably wouldn't even have gotten as far as I did if it wasn't for the fact it was gating me from getting the other words of power.

I am completely loving this game. I ran into a freeze and somehow ended up losing all my saves (???) but started a new game, still loving it. I have barely scratched the surface with the story. The cycle exactly how you have described is great. Having a blast+.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh jeez. Suicide Squad looks to be full GaaS and had like 6 different currencies

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevKrule posted:

I'm at the final mission (it tells you THIS IS THE FINAL MISSION DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU ARE NOT READY) and probably finishing tonight. You definitely get to a point where there's not a whole lot to actually do between missions and even the boxes stop giving anything useful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Yup. On the crafting results screen there's a gear icon with a swooshing arrow pointing up next to the name of the item when it's the upgraded version. Some pretty nice boosts, like hundreds more in damage or higher Momentum Gen %. I don't know what the odds are for getting it but on average it's been within a few rolls.

I did Floor 30 quite a lot for a while there and amassed a warchest from it.

Got to floor 29 with a rando but the two of us just could not do it. I blame myself for using a poison weapon on robin when fighting owls. Their Batgirl was a loving monster though.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh jeez. Suicide Squad looks to be full GaaS and had like 6 different currencies

balls. where did you see this?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Soonmot posted:

Got to floor 29 with a rando but the two of us just could not do it. I blame myself for using a poison weapon on robin when fighting owls. Their Batgirl was a loving monster though.

balls. where did you see this?

https://twitter.com/Mr_Rebs_/status/1615209866162851840?t=uBsZrlq_6Lhqe_CSTbybcQ&s=19

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Suicide Squad has had big flashing warning signs on it for a while now.

I have no faith it's going to be good.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
don't even care about any of that stuff, what I want to know is why do they all have guns? don't give captain boomerang guns!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VoidTek posted:

don't even care about any of that stuff, what I want to know is why do they all have guns? don't give captain boomerang guns!

Because it's a shooter.

It's impressive that it's looking like it will actually be worse than Avengers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

I think it's kind of a double-whammy because of poison vs. Owls but also because poison damages enemies but isn't good for actually stopping them. So in a mission trying to protect something like a console it's a weak form of crowd control. Freeze is good, Concussive is even better.

And I don't know if they patched it out but for a while there I was running a nice little combo with Robin that seemed broken for how effective it was. Would Freeze a guy, drop a decoy, and this for some reason the game considers as full instant stealth and I could do a Stealth or Ambush Takedown on the frozen enemy. As long as the decoy was up I could Takedown anyone frozen to chain KOs together (decoy doesn't usually last long though).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finished Midnight Suns tonight. Really fun, solid game, though far from flawless. The ending may as well have a big flashing light reading "WE'RE PLANNING MORE!" though idk if that will be DLC or a sequel (or both). I know they're planning character DLC, though if there's no additional story content, I don't know if I'll bother picking it up.

Good:
Story is pretty good
Combat is fun and you can customize your characters to work best
Characters all seem useful, though some are certainly moreso than others

Bad:
You don't get the full squad until really late in the game (like, final character gets picked up right before the final mission)
Voice performances were uneven, and Man Hunter was pretty grating
Dialogue was pretty bad

A thing I thought would be fun would be if they gave certain combos of characters team names. Like if you have, say, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Cap it displays NEW AVENGERS or something similar.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Finished Midnight Suns tonight. Really fun, solid game, though far from flawless. The ending may as well have a big flashing light reading "WE'RE PLANNING MORE!" though idk if that will be DLC or a sequel (or both). I know they're planning character DLC, though if there's no additional story content, I don't know if I'll bother picking it up.

Good:
Story is pretty good
Combat is fun and you can customize your characters to work best
Characters all seem useful, though some are certainly moreso than others

Bad:
You don't get the full squad until really late in the game (like, final character gets picked up right before the final mission)
Voice performances were uneven, and Man Hunter was pretty grating
Dialogue was pretty bad
I agree with all of this so far. The combat is really fun and when it clicks, it's hard to put down. Also fully agree w/the voice acting. Blade and Nico were really good whereas Cap and Cap were....not. Female hunter isn't that much of a step in the better direction vs the male hunter for voice either.

quote:

A thing I thought would be fun would be if they gave certain combos of characters team names. Like if you have, say, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Cap it displays NEW AVENGERS or something similar.
Yes, we all want a new Ultimate Alliance game. I think the only people that don't understand this is Marvel.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I just want Marvel Heroes back from its "We made a sale for the FF movie- oh no daddy marvel please put the forced updates and no funding belt away nooooo" death

Also fun fact: pre-release interviews have them not even using 'they' to refer to the Hunter, which tells me that the whole decision to make them a create-a-character with a male option came way late, and probably ate into time to do things like 'give banner a second pair of pants' or 'have the fantastic four appear after or even get mentioned literally having a 4-element altar with their loving symbol on it as one of the central things the whole game focuses on' and other reasons later but still. More! More content, we know you have it/want to make it, just fuckin'... gimme more.

RevKrule posted:

I agree with all of this so far. The combat is really fun and when it clicks, it's hard to put down. Also fully agree w/the voice acting. Blade and Nico were really good whereas Cap and Cap were....not. Female hunter isn't that much of a step in the better direction vs the male hunter for voice either.

Yes, we all want a new Ultimate Alliance game. I think the only people that don't understand this is Marvel.

I would like if my new Ultimate Alliance game doesn't feel like a gatcha game they somehow recompiled into a switch product like the last one preferably, but understand if this is a bit much to ask

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 18, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

KaosMachina posted:

I would like if my new Ultimate Alliance game doesn't feel like a gatcha game they somehow recompiled into a switch product like the last one preferably, but understand if this is a bit much to ask

I'm not sure what this is a reference to, other than maybe the really asinine way that leveling up and side content is handled

I like MUA3 pretty good, it doesn't look like fifty tons of rear end like the Activision ones (but I also didn't pay full retail for it, so...)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
MUA 3 felt more like a musou game to me, very, very button mashy and the enemies that were one step up from the mooks really, really took a beating sometimes. I think I would have persevered playing it if not for the really baffling decision to not have your entire roster level up with the ones you were using, not even in the usual "they get less XP so they will be slightly underlevelled" way, they just straight up didn't get any XP at all. You got these items you could use to give characters XP but usually only a couple at a time and they didn't do quite enough so switching heroes felt awful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Because it's a shooter.

It's impressive that it's looking like it will actually be worse than Avengers.

Yeah, this is some generic game they slapped a DC license onto. I know when given the option to play King Shark, my first thought is "Wow, what kind of gun does he use?"

Lobok posted:

I think it's kind of a double-whammy because of poison vs. Owls but also because poison damages enemies but isn't good for actually stopping them. So in a mission trying to protect something like a console it's a weak form of crowd control. Freeze is good, Concussive is even better.

And I don't know if they patched it out but for a while there I was running a nice little combo with Robin that seemed broken for how effective it was. Would Freeze a guy, drop a decoy, and this for some reason the game considers as full instant stealth and I could do a Stealth or Ambush Takedown on the frozen enemy. As long as the decoy was up I could Takedown anyone frozen to chain KOs together (decoy doesn't usually last long though).

Yeah nothing puts me back into stealth except loving sitting around a corner hiding for a minute. I keep trying to drop a decoy and then use the invisibility power, but by the time that poo poo rear end power triggers, something has hit me and knocked me out of it, or something is following me as I slowly walk away because running cancels it.

eDIT: When do enemies in Gotham Knights single player increase their levels? I play at off hours, so MP isn't realiable and I want to get thos elevel 60 drops, but on NG+ enemies have been level 49-51 for a number of missions now despite robin using level 55 gear.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 18, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, this is some generic game they slapped a DC license onto. I know when given the option to play King Shark, my first thought is "Wow, what kind of gun does he use?"

More depressingly it was built from the ground up to be what it is looking to be unfortunately. I've probably posted this in the thread before but there has to be a real, real rough story about the development of this game waiting in the wings (aside and separate from all the harassment and gender imbalance reporting that came out about Rocksteady of course). Unless the game is an absolute masterpiece and sells truly, truly gangbusters numbers it's going to have to be considered one of the biggest games industry disasters of all time right? They've not released anything else in the 8 years since Arkham Knight came out, they must have restarted development on this at least a couple times, just burning money all the while and absolutely nothing they've put out to try and sell it has looked remotely good, just imo anyway.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

MUA 3 felt more like a musou game to me, very, very button mashy and the enemies that were one step up from the mooks really, really took a beating sometimes. I think I would have persevered playing it if not for the really baffling decision to not have your entire roster level up with the ones you were using, not even in the usual "they get less XP so they will be slightly underlevelled" way, they just straight up didn't get any XP at all. You got these items you could use to give characters XP but usually only a couple at a time and they didn't do quite enough so switching heroes felt awful.

I feel like MUA3 more than any of the other 2 MUA games benefitted heavily from repeat play throughs. There's a whole layer of end game cycle that really benefitted from rolling through ng+. Once you figure out that the side missions exist to farm powerups and xp items, it helps too.

I played the game for like 10 minutes when it came out and put it down because it wasn't like old MUA but picked it back up at the start of the pandemic and it really took root at that point. It's not as good as MUA1 or either XML games but it's better than MUA2 and tried some fun things. I would pick up a MUA4 in a heartbeat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

Yeah nothing puts me back into stealth except loving sitting around a corner hiding for a minute. I keep trying to drop a decoy and then use the invisibility power, but by the time that poo poo rear end power triggers, something has hit me and knocked me out of it, or something is following me as I slowly walk away because running cancels it.

eDIT: When do enemies in Gotham Knights single player increase their levels? I play at off hours, so MP isn't realiable and I want to get thos elevel 60 drops, but on NG+ enemies have been level 49-51 for a number of missions now despite robin using level 55 gear.

I don't think the true stealth move in combat actually works. I was expecting it to be like Miles Morales' camouflage power but it's nothing like it. The status effect + decoy combo I mentioned is the only thing that gives Robin quick stealth. You can do the smoke bomb grappling hook getaway and hide but that's not quick nor is it exclusive to Robin.

I'm not sure when enemies are "supposed" to get higher level. The patch that allowed enemies in Gotham patrol to go up to max level came well after I had max level gear. Have you completed the story or are close to it in NG+? And what difficulty of crimes do you do? You may not see max level enemies until you are nearer the end and do Very High difficulty crimes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

thebardyspoon posted:

More depressingly it was built from the ground up to be what it is looking to be unfortunately. I've probably posted this in the thread before but there has to be a real, real rough story about the development of this game waiting in the wings (aside and separate from all the harassment and gender imbalance reporting that came out about Rocksteady of course). Unless the game is an absolute masterpiece and sells truly, truly gangbusters numbers it's going to have to be considered one of the biggest games industry disasters of all time right? They've not released anything else in the 8 years since Arkham Knight came out, they must have restarted development on this at least a couple times, just burning money all the while and absolutely nothing they've put out to try and sell it has looked remotely good, just imo anyway.

given the long, long gap since Arkham Knight, and that WB Montreal was still working on its own Suicide Squad game for a good year and a half or so after AK shipped, it's fairly safe to say that SS:KtJL is not what Rocksteady had originally intended to follow up AK with. There are rumors that KtJL uses assets from a cancelled Superman project, hence the Metropolis setting, but who knows if that's true; in any case, I hope we get more of the story eventually.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it's almost a given that Superman was going to be their next project and it didn't happen for some reason. Either because they couldn't crack how to make a good Superman game or it was looking bad or something. I can't imagine having your choice of DC properties to make a game about after making Batman and going with Suicide Squad.

This game feels like it should have come out years ago, but instead is coming out after everyone has soured on GAAS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess this is why we've only ever been given cg movie trailers and never any gameplay huh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember when Avengers was revealed at E3 and they spent like an hour talking about everything except what the game was

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

site posted:

i guess this is why we've only ever been given cg movie trailers and never any gameplay huh

No they did show gameplay, it didn't look great but they have shown it. Looks almost like a Sunset Overdrive esque thing with the hordes of enemies and focus on movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKZ1ewc9f0

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It feels like Suicide Squad based on the leaks, should've been a Flash game and honestly a Flash game would've been neat to work with instead of what we're getting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just want a drat real sequel to Arkham Knight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Just remembered suicide squad is Kevin convroy's last batman gig.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It doesn't surprise me that Suicide Squad was made with the intent of being a live service game of some kind, but it does surprise me that they're still going in that direction after Marvel's Avengers tanked. Were it my call, I would've told the devs to start cutting all of the GaaS stuff out for fear of being compared to Avengers by the press. They must have a lot of faith in their core product to go full steam ahead on this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JordanKai posted:

It doesn't surprise me that Suicide Squad was made with the intent of being a live service game of some kind, but it does surprise me that they're still going in that direction after Marvel's Avengers tanked. Were it my call, I would've told the devs to start cutting all of the GaaS stuff out for fear of being compared to Avengers by the press. They must have a lot of faith in their core product to go full steam ahead on this.

The fact that they chose to half-assedly remove the GaaS stuff from Gotham Knights, but leave it in Suicide Squad, is very strange to me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Or taking it out would delay it even further, which after the reveal and hype, having to push it back yet again probably wouldn't fly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGohawKKNE
Midnight Suns DLC announced.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh hell yeah, they got Nolan North back for it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fine, I'll buy the freakin' season pass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Huh, when did Strong Bad join the MU?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gaz-L posted:

Huh, when did Strong Bad join the MU?

Oh, don't be mean to Strong Bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know how you'd really go about making a Flash video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know how you'd really go about making a Flash video game.

like this?