Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1615519463159508992

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

I think the crucial thing for the Caps is not to loving scratch Strome so you can play Backstrom and Eller. These were the lines last night and I liked how balanced they were:

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Mantha-Kuzy-Oshie
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson
Johansson-Dowd-Hathaway

Apparently Lavy just has his lines in a randomizer. Tonight Aube-Kubel is a first line winger! Kuznetsov in for Dowd on the fourth line! Scratch Mantha for reasons.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

DancingMachine posted:

Martin Jones is UFA after this year so likely he will cost a lot more than his current 2MM per to retain or replace as a primary starter. Driedger is still on the roster as well at 3.5MM per. So if Grubauer is retained and Jones is replaced/retained at say 5MM you are looking at probably something like 14 MM per year for mediocre to bad goaltending going forward. Is that totally crippling for a team, or is it pretty normal to have a red spot of that size on a good team's roster?

The Kraken's contract situation is the worst part of their books IMO. Grubauer's contract is unmovable and it's too early to buy him out, Jones is playing too well to stash when Driedger comes back and I think he's slated to be back sooner rather than later. I'm very curious to see how they navigate that and if they end up with 3 goalies on the roster or if Driedger gets reps in the AHL for a while. To your question though, both Grubauer and Dreiger have a NTC and a buyout would be brutal so I'm betting Jones walks and gets overpaid by someone. The only real out is if some team not on Driedger's list of 10 teams trades for him and they give Jones that money. Who knows though, if Driedger comes back healthy I'm ok with Jones moving on cause I do not trust that dude in the least.

quote:

The rest of the roster cap hits look OK to me at first glance, though the team is going to have a hard time retaining some of the players that are doing well this year like Dunn and Sprong. Losing Dunn will hurt a lot. Bjorkstrand maybe is questionable as to whether he is going to play up to his contract as well.

If I had to bet right now I'd say that they let Donskoi walk in the offseason and use his $3.9mil cap hit to get Dunn and (god I feel weird saying this) Sprong signed as well. All in all their cap situation isn't terrible outside of their goalies, and the 400 NTC they gave skaters, but I think a lot of that is a function of being a new franchise and not having decades to make awful deadline trades chasing a cup run.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

RoR would be a fine pickup for the leafs imo but the scuttlebutt is just a pundit making poo poo up and our big playoff acquisition is gonna be Lucic

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

RoR would be a fine pickup for the leafs imo but the scuttlebutt is just a pundit making poo poo up and our big playoff acquisition is gonna be Lucic

ROR’s on-ice xG share is 40%, the worst of all regular Blues forwards, and the team is significantly better when he’s not on the ice. Possession under 50% when he’s out there, he’s on pace for his lowest point total in years. And that’s all before he got a long-term injury he’s still out with.

And all that would be fine if the Blues’ asking price was reasonably in-line with what he’s been doing, but they’re going to demand a return for the guy he used to be. And that’s my point, any team paying for him is taking a huge risk because the ROR who played 37 games so far this year is a lot worse that he was even a year ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

.Spec posted:

The Kraken's contract situation is the worst part of their books IMO. Grubauer's contract is unmovable and it's too early to buy him out, Jones is playing too well to stash when Drieger comes back and I think he's slated to be back sooner rather than later. I'm very curious to see how they navigate that and if they end up with 3 goalies on the roster or if Drieger gets reps in the AHL for a while. To your question though, both Grubauer and Dreiger have a NTC and a buyout would be brutal so I'm betting Jones walks and gets overpaid by someone. The only real out is if some team not on Drieger's list of 10 teams trades for him and they give Jones that money. Who knows though, if Drieger comes back healthy I'm ok with Jones moving on cause I do not trust that dude in the least.

Don’t make me add “it’s Driedger you fucks” to next month’s OP. I’ll do it. So help me hockey gods.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

hahahah I can't believe I forgot to check that. I knew I was misspelling it and told myself I'd check before posting but alas.

edit: def append that to the thread title once he comes back though

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hockey fans being unable to spell the names of players on their own team is a tale as old as time

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Never mind. The Jets are dogshit garbage.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
get a load of this shithead

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1615538360109666304

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

efb

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress that guy

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

what a baby

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drat send he rear end back to Yaroslavl

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope the Flyers crowd relentlessly boos him for the duration of his time there (and after). If any crowd would, it'd be them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What a dickhead. He should go play for whichever team was dumb enough to sign Tony D long term.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Adding this note to my "I would rather have Laine than Provorov" data set

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao even Deangelo was out for warmups wearing it. They didn't wear them for the game

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I loving hate the Flyers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bigots should get bodychecked

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Oops my bad on the spelling.
That all makes sense, I guess you just let Jones walk and keep the goalies you have. Driedger's results last year were better than Grubauer and comparable to the results Jones is getting this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

lmao even Deangelo was out for warmups wearing it. They didn't wear them for the game

lol the Flyers

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/giana_jade/status/1615541850907021314

https://twitter.com/giana_jade/status/1615542189408280576

jeez those are some stupid things to say!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Fuckin brutal take from Torts, as expected

Also lol

https://twitter.com/sportsnetspec/status/1615523862879539201?s=46&t=wfFOop9f9PjsVzvDZ8UUZQ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bonus: he played in the game

https://twitter.com/StephaliciousD/status/1615541057759870977?s=20&t=PTvq0JWHoQD2bU4bYEK1yw

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

congrats to the Flyers and Gary Bettman for the upcoming free publicity on Fox News

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait didn’t Tortorella say he would bench a player for kneeling for the national anthem?

drat it must suck to be a Flyers fan

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FBS posted:

congrats to the Flyers and Gary Bettman for the upcoming free publicity on Fox News

Between this and the All-Star employment thing, everyone's talking about the NHL on Fox News and talk radio stations that will make your brain bleed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's not just lovely as all hell, it's also impressively stupid. I guess players don't pay any attention to night-by-night promotions and Provorov learned about Pride Night the minute he walked into the locker room and saw the warmup jerseys. If he'd had a competent agent you'd think some calls could have been made at least, oh I don't know, a few hours in advance and Torts would probably have had no problem scratching him for the game and telling everyone he had food poisoning or whatever. Instead he publicly marks himself as a homophobic rear end in a top hat in the most passive-aggressive way possible and Torts more or less does the same.

As for the Flyers, well, if you as an organization care about optics even a tiny little bit then you don't hire John Tortorella. It's nice that they have Pride Night and all but their not giving a gently caress was made abundantly clear when they hired Torts and signed DeAngelo. If you'd slept through today and had to guess tomorrow morning which NHL team had a player refuse to wear the Pride Night jersey and let him play in the game anyway, the Flyers would've been right near the top of the list.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 18, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Being a locker room distraction is for speaking out on things like racial injustice or worker rights. When you just hate gay people it’s because you are “true to yourself”.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

WeaponX posted:

Being a locker room distraction is for speaking out on things like asking for more money for you or everyone. When you just take a smaller contract against your own interests, it’s because you are “true to yourself”.

that's right

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

that's right

:discourse:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
He led the team in icetime tonight lmao

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

He led the team in icetime tonight lmao

That's why he had to rest himself for warmups

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1615547825722626048

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I really hate the Flyers so much

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jesus christ

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Surely the Flyers have had pride nights before tonight. Was he injured for the previous ones? What an idiot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Franchise is a disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They had pride nights before but I don't think they had warmup jerseys for them