Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

shes in the intro cutscene!

Oh I don't care, but we're playing the game 4 days before release someone will yell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
so is Kagetsu actually from a deeprealm or just a foreign Japanese-y island

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna play on hard and it sounds like I'll probably get my rear end kicked lol

I like that armor knights sound like actually really valuable tanks after kinda ignoring them in most of my 3H runs

We talked about my opinion on TriStrat and Three Houses awhile ago, this is really good! It's definitely not a life sim like 3H but I still can't stop playing

I think you'll love it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

so is Kagetsu actually from a deeprealm or just a foreign Japanese-y island
latter. hes not even from hoshido or anything, just fantasy japan land. the use of 'secluded' in his bio is because his fantasy japan land is basically edo period, so its closed off. dunno why people went so hard on the deeprealms thing, maybe it was just the tl choice of 'realm' instead of 'country.'

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
endorph please post the spoiler version of the ranking with spoiler tags

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

endorph please post the spoiler version of the ranking with spoiler tags

[big recruitment spoilers, legit, actual plot stuff: saphir and mauve in 'good,' linden in 'better than ignatz,' i guess veyle can be in 'i like how up for murder she is' as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Slapping Sigurd onto Louis and sending him off to solo any part of the map that doesn't have mages will probably stop working eventually, but it hasn't yet. It's very funny. Armor Knights are insanely good in this game and I'm all for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

How rad does general look on a scale from GBA(best obviously) to Three Houses(worst)?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Skillup review sounds like it reflects how I'm going to feel about this game as a three houses lover, but I like the grid combat and nitty gritty so I'm still going to enjoy.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Skillup review sounds like it reflects how I'm going to feel about this game as a three houses lover, but I like the grid combat and nitty gritty so I'm still going to enjoy.

If you don't mind to give a summary? Been looking to watch it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

goty

lih
May 15, 2013

i'm glad the characters seem to be decent enough for the most part even if they're not as good as three houses. combined with how positive everyone is about the tactics it should be one of the stronger games in the series overall

reviewers complaining about the social elements being removed from three houses is weird, because like, all that seems to actually have been removed there is the calendar/teaching stuff which added pretty much nothing in an attempt to imitate persona, & then tea time i guess? like i like the social stuff in fe but it's not like there was any depth to any of the stuff they removed, the only thing that seems disappointing is the characters not commenting on the plot developments at the hub between chapters like they did in three houses. the relatively light world-building & general tone seems to be a much bigger change

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barreft posted:

If you don't mind to give a summary? Been looking to watch it

Basically less engaging characters and story, but deeper combat and a big roster.

Virtually no social game, it's all about battles.

Lots of flexibility for your characters through the emblem system. If you're not familiar with the emblem heroes the game won't spark much interest in them though.

Plenty of choices for the team is fun.

You kind of need to fill in the gaps and make up your own stories through battles kind of like xcom I guess.

Graphics are good.

Combat is good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lih posted:

the only thing that seems disappointing is the characters not commenting on the plot developments at the hub between chapters like they did in three houses. the relatively light world-building & general tone seems to be a much bigger change

They do. also so far after every battle you can run around on the battle map and talk to everyone, grab animals to adopt, etc. before going back home or the next chapter. It really makes the battle maps great, they're real places

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Basically less engaging characters and story, but deeper combat and a big roster.

Lots of flexibility for your characters through the emblem system. If you're not familiar with the emblem heroes the game won't spark much interest in them though.

You kind of need to fill in the gaps and make up your own stories through battles kind of like xcom I guess.

Graphics are good.

Combat is good.

Yeah, 100% for me so far 6 hours in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

i'm glad the characters seem to be decent enough for the most part even if they're not as good as three houses. combined with how positive everyone is about the tactics it should be one of the stronger games in the series overall

reviewers complaining about the social elements being removed from three houses is weird, because like, all that seems to actually have been removed there is the calendar/teaching stuff which added pretty much nothing in an attempt to imitate persona, & then tea time i guess? like i like the social stuff in fe but it's not like there was any depth to any of the stuff they removed, the only thing that seems disappointing is the characters not commenting on the plot developments at the hub between chapters like they did in three houses. the relatively light world-building & general tone seems to be a much bigger change
i think people are mostly trying to express the character thing when they talk about 'social mechanics,' but they're having trouble expressing it so they lean on how it 'feels.'

JBP posted:

Graphics are good.

Combat is good.
Id say 'social game' just refers to the monastery stuff. the supports and how many there are is basically the same as awakening or fates. if you're coming in solely off 3h you'll be disappointed but if you've played those games its basically a return to normalcy in terms of the social stuff, minus kid mechanics. (though the tone is a little lighter than even awakening for the most part, especially taking into account the future past dlc/lucina's backstory in general)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barreft posted:

Yeah, 100% for me so far 6 hours in

Oh yeah also that team comp is the main game. Like you set your strategy with your guys and execute it. Game doesn't force you to adapt very much and the maps all play the same. You don't need to get too creative in battles.

lih
May 15, 2013

Barreft posted:

They do. also so far after every battle you can run around on the battle map and talk to everyone, grab animals to adopt, etc. before going back home or the next chapter. It really makes the battle maps great, they're real places
oh i saw someone say they don't, weird. the after battle stuff is a nice touch yeah

JBP posted:

Oh yeah also that team comp is the main game. Like you set your strategy with your guys and execute it. Game doesn't force you to adapt very much and the maps all play the same. You don't need to get too creative in battles.
this is definitely not true from what i've seen, there's more variety in terms of how the maps play than three houses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters dont have as much to say as the 3h characters between maps but characters generally comment on the basic gist of the plot. like 'wow ive never been to the desert' before or whatever. its not especially deep but it feels like theyre at least along for the ride.

the after battle thing also has some lines like that but characters who gained a bunch of levels or got low on hp or something will comment on that and it'll override their lines for that chapter.

JBP posted:

ive definitely had to adapt and noticed a fair amount of map variety. was dude playing on normal or smth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He was probably playing on normal in an effort to review the game in a timely manner. Normal is also the difficulty most people select I imagine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

We talked about my opinion on TriStrat and Three Houses awhile ago, this is really good! It's definitely not a life sim like 3H but I still can't stop playing

I think you'll love it

Hell yeah, I'm really excited

Everything I've heard about the gameplay sounds like exactly what I was hoping for.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's not like three houses really forced you to adapt much on normal either

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lih posted:

it's not like three houses really forced you to adapt much on normal either

It isn't a comparison to three houses. It's a comment on the video game he's playing. Just how it felt. The only 3h comparison is on the story and characterisation. (Edit: and of course that the combat is better in this one)

He does compare gameplay to Midnight Suns and notes that MS demanded more reflexive tactics, but that's just the nature of the two games and I can understand playing a RPG stat driven grid battler and feeling like it's mainly happening on the strategic layer.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 18, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

It isn't a comparison to three houses. It's a comment on the video game he's playing. Just how it felt. The only 3h comparison is on the story and characterisation. (Edit: and of course that the combat is better in this one)

He does compare gameplay to Midnight Suns and notes that MS demanded more reflexive tactics, but that's just the nature of the two games and I can understand playing a RPG stat driven grid battler and feeling like it's mainly happening on the strategic layer.

I've never played MS, but the battles are great and tbh the only thing I remember. The people are there but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them besides tall, muscle, smart etc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barreft posted:

I've never played MS, but the battles are great and tbh the only thing I remember. The people are there but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them besides tall, muscle, smart etc

Midnight Suns is a great tactics game, but not everyone loves that it is 3h inspired on the social side. Anyone in two minds should grab midnight suns on sale at some stage it's really fun. Every turn is exciting.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Midnight Suns is a great tactics game, but not everyone loves that it is 3h inspired on the social side. Anyone in two minds should grab midnight suns on sale at some stage it's really fun. Every turn is exciting.

Yeah I do want to play it I heard it was like 3H as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Midnight Suns has an annoying monastary-esque thing but also you can ignore it if you don't care about the lore specific to the midnight suns and The Hunter (That's you).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
two quick questions:

1) are there any "talk to named person on the map with the right character to recruit them" style recruitments? i've finished chapter 5 and have been scanning every enemy just to be sure but haven't seen anything yet. and if there are does the game signpost the first time it happens?

2) how do i have conversations with the Emblems who aren't in the Somnier? i have a rank 5 queued up for one character but i can't find the appropriate Emblem anywhere on the map to talk to.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Countblanc posted:

two quick questions:

1) are there any "talk to named person on the map with the right character to recruit them" style recruitments? i've finished chapter 5 and have been scanning every enemy just to be sure but haven't seen anything yet. and if there are does the game signpost the first time it happens?

2) how do i have conversations with the Emblems who aren't in the Somnier? i have a rank 5 queued up for one character but i can't find the appropriate Emblem anywhere on the map to talk to.

1.) there was a paralogue for one, it was pretty aggressive about the tool tip. the talk icon showed up whenever moving alear, so it should be obvious in the future I guess

2.) menu -> reference, same way you do supports for other people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did I miss an option, or does Engage not forecast how much damage an enemy will do as a preview like FE3h?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tae posted:

Did I miss an option, or does Engage not forecast how much damage an enemy will do as a preview like FE3h?

It does

e:
this what you mean?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Excited to hear that even Hard difficulty has teeth. I'm both parts excited and terrified of what that means for Maddening.

I was flipflopping between digital and physical but I think I just don't wanna risk local suppliers being late and digital means I can play on the second it's released. Friday can't come soon enough

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I should stop abusing myself and ignore that tweets have replies, especially ones from Nintendo. People are really proud to tell a company they don't want to play a game, like the company cares or reads the comment.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hell, people won't stop doing that in this thread

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Barreft posted:

It does

e:
this what you mean?

No, FE3H showed aggro lines to which unit they'll attack but also give a combat forecast of how much damage they'll do to that target when you highlight the enemy.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Does anyone know what's in the initial DLC that's available at launch? I know I'll probably be a consumer whore eventually, but is it something to put off until more substantial waves or is there anything immediately toothsome like classes?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

No, FE3H showed aggro lines to which unit they'll attack but also give a combat forecast of how much damage they'll do to that target when you highlight the enemy.

Engage will show lines to all enemies that are in range to attack the highlighted character but doesn't specify who they will attack for sure, it's just a visual shorthand. Minor mechanical spoiler that has probably been in trailers: it will also show how much damage an enemy in range with an Engage attack skill charged will deal, but that's the only thing that that will tell you damage outside of the combat forecast that I have noticed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Syrnn posted:

Does anyone know what's in the initial DLC that's available at launch? I know I'll probably be a consumer whore eventually, but is it something to put off until more substantial waves or is there anything immediately toothsome like classes?

Wave 1, available at launch, includes Tiki and Edelgard (with Dimitri and Claude) as equippable emblems.

Wave 2 and 3 will also feature new emblems.

Wave 4 will, like Wave 4 of 3H's DLC, feature new playable characters and classes, and a separate small campaign.

If you're curious on the DLC Emblems, it's been datamined. (spoilers for the DLC contents, natch)

Hector from FE7
Veronica from FE Heroes
Soren from FE9
Camilla from Fates
Chrom from Awakening

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hector from FE7

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I understand why they do it, but I've come to truly detest the model of "pay $30 upfront for an ongoing drip feed of DLC" plan - 100% of the time I'm finished with the game long before even the second wave of DLC characters comes out, and an extra character or two isn't enough to get me to replay unless I was going to replay anyway.

Just let me pay $10 for the first wave characters so I can pay only for the part I'll actually use.