Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Dead daughter was an amazing performance. Shame she is gone.

I assume they'll explain how they got to Boston? Were they in CA in the prologue?

20 years is plenty of time to make it to Boston. There aren’t that many safe cities remaining I don’t think, so people naturally gravitate toward the remaining ones over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

L-O-N posted:

Austin, TX.

Not even one Whataburger shown? Show is a 0/10

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jerusalem posted:

Mazin actually used the TLOU budget to sneak in a production set in the 1960s about a current affairs show and the spectacular court trial that followed him bringing a doctor on who was high as gently caress and just talking out his rear end. That's why the tall other doctor next to him was grimacing, he knew he would have a lot of explaining to do to his colleagues the next day. Anyway, that starts next week, opening with a title card that just says,"Play the game if you want the rest of Joel & Ellie's story."

What do you mean? They blatantly ripped off The Adam Friedland Show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know who that is?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looten Plunder posted:

Dead daughter was an amazing performance. Shame she is gone.

They should cast her as Elle instead.

Honestly was really only interested in the intro sequence. Completely bored after and don’t think I’ll come back to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In the intro scene Joel was wearing his t-shirt backwards which you could tell by the seams being wrong, but I also noticed that his shirt had the size/laundry tag flipped inside out along his left(?) side near his stomach.

Was this a thing they did with t-shirts back in 2000 or whenever that scene was set? I'm not trying to be nitpicking but I honestly feel like this was a more recent thing they started doing with men's t-shirts. Before they always were up behind the neck. Nowadays I don't think I own a single t-shirt with the tag behind my neck, just along the seam near the bottom left side.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

They should cast her as Elle instead.

100%

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Bella Ramsey captured Ellie perfectly and I don’t get the bitching about her performance at all. She acted exactly like Ellie does in the game. Also, disgusting people are complaining that she is not pretty enough or she looks like she has Down syndrome. People are just complete trash online.

And while Nico played Sarah perfectly, a character completely different than Ellie, nothing in her performance suggest she would be better than Bella as Ellie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

At this point in the game Ellie seemed like an annoying brat too. Ramsay is capturing the sharp and aggressive part of her character fairly well. Both in the game and the show she’s understandably pissed off about shoved off on these sketchy smugglers and has a defensive wall of snide aggression.

Hopefully Bella Ramsay will be able to portray the more likeable side of Ellie in the coming weeks. Her performance in His Dark Materials worries me a little, but Mazin and Druckmann have nailed casting in their previous work and reviews say she does well, so I’m not too worried.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Bella Ramsay is the GoT kid actor right? Who was she in His Dark Materials? I don't think I remember seeing her.

Also is/was there a thread for His Dark Materials? I just binged it recently.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Bella Ramsay is the GoT kid actor right? Who was she in His Dark Materials? I don't think I remember seeing her.

Also is/was there a thread for His Dark Materials? I just binged it recently.

She was Angelica, in season 2. And unfortunately, I don’t think there is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boris Galerkin posted:

They were lady Mormont in GoT and it was funny because lil' kid lord. Then it became a meme and they started adding more in the show and well it wasn't good because nothing in those last seasons were.

The "ellie is a brat" takes are like...yeah people she is a teen. Then they mature, that's what happens in real life too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zelah posted:

Sure, but it’s hard to say “these two parties are involved in something sketchy. One is obviously the good guy and the other is obviously the bad guy”
The cop has way more power and freedom in the situation though, and Joel is assuming far more of the risk. They even mention that the cop could just kill Joel right there and take the pills, and the only reason Joel can offer him not to is that he would then have to find a new supplier. The cop is the bad guy.

zelah posted:

Nobody’s a good guy yet. They all seem pretty bad.
Joel's pretty clearly being set up as the scoundrel with a heart of gold cliche. :shrug:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

GoutPatrol posted:

The "ellie is a brat" takes are like...yeah people she is a teen. Then they mature, that's what happens in real life too.

People had the same to say about Wednesday in the Netflix series. 'Why is she so mean to people?!' Because she's a shithead teenager, that happens sometimes, she'll grow up.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
At this point it doesn’t matter, I argue she is a typecasted one note actor which has nothing to do with her appearance. Also HBO probably felt more comfortable working with someone that they have had on their shows before instead of taking a chance on someone unknown.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Koirhor posted:

At this point it doesn’t matter, I argue she is a typecasted one note actor which has nothing to do with her appearance.

Bella Ramsey mostly plays poshos though.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Never played the game but enjoyed the first episode. So this is just fungus zombies then? Ok.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Never played the game but enjoyed the first episode. So this is just fungus zombies then? Ok.

I first saw this video 10 years ago when the first game came out and still think about it often.

https://youtu.be/XuKjBIBBAL8

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ballz posted:

I first saw this video 10 years ago when the first game came out and still think about it often.

https://youtu.be/XuKjBIBBAL8

Fun fact: this was originally the cold open of the show.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It’s a center left talk show.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I haven't played the games, although I watched my roommate play the first one so I know the major plot beats. The show is clearly telling us that no one is a good person, but Joel is at least motivated by caring about his brother so he's not as selfish as most everyone else.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The spoiler thread says that the kid at the start only gets euthanised after returning a positive test to the fungus? Which I totally missed, and if so, is much less brutal/evil than the (still understandable) alternative that they just straight up kill any outsiders seeking sanctuary.

Tiggum posted:

The cop has way more power and freedom in the situation though, and Joel is assuming far more of the risk. They even mention that the cop could just kill Joel right there and take the pills, and the only reason Joel can offer him not to is that he would then have to find a new supplier. The cop is the bad guy.

Joel's pretty clearly being set up as the scoundrel with a heart of gold cliche. :shrug:

Power yes, but freedom, I dunno - I'm assuming the "cops" (soldiers, really) are all conscripts. The line about Ellie being sent to a military school because she was an orphan was interesting.

In a lot of ways the post-apoc Boston feels more like it's 5 years or 10 years after the fall, rather than a full 20. That's an entire generation. It surely wouldn't be possible for them to maintain a cop/soldier caste without a lot of conscription and crossover with the general community.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

The spoiler thread says that the kid at the start only gets euthanised after returning a positive test to the fungus? Which I totally missed, and if so, is much less brutal/evil than the (still understandable) alternative that they just straight up kill any outsiders seeking sanctuary.

It would probably have been a public execution for coming from the outside rather than a quick needle if she hadn't tested positive.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Nah, AUTHORIZED entry into the QZ is completely fine. It's why they have that whole 1)chain visitors down to a chair, 2) test them, routine all set up. The QZs still need people to live in them, FEDRA is just the last vestigial part of a Federal Relief organization going through the motions as if the USA still existed in any form.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I'm assuming it is actually OK to come in if you aren't positive, otherwise they would have just sniped her from the wall rather than opened the gates and scrambled out to rescue her when she collapsed.

(The scene with the amputees also indicates to me that the state, authoritarian and utilitarian as it is, at some level still has people's overall wellbeing at heart.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

freebooter posted:

freebooter posted:

Yeah I'm assuming it is actually OK to come in if you aren't positive, otherwise they would have just sniped her from the wall rather than opened the gates and scrambled out to rescue her when she collapsed.

I don't know what this adds to the read of the scene, but not only was the kid euthanised for being a gonna suffering from a zombie death sentence, but the kid was a boy.

I'm not sure how anyone could have acted more ethically in that situation tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

freebooter posted:

(The scene with the amputees also indicates to me that the state, authoritarian and utilitarian as it is, at some level still has people's overall wellbeing at heart.)

Those people likely had those amputations because they were bitten.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In this context the cause is irrelevant

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watched the first ep because the show's getting good reviews and was pretty unimpressed (haven't played the game). the writing is really bad – especially the dialogue – and the scene of them trying to drive out of town was one of the worst directing choices i've ever seen in a 'prestige' show lol. what passes for cinematic in a video game just looks like a video game (i.e. dog poo poo) on a television show!

i did like the early 2000s production design at the beginning, and the fungus guy who was blown all over the basement wall reminded me of the fungus guy who got blown all over a wall in annihilation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerusalem posted:

Mazin actually used the TLOU budget to sneak in a production set in the 1960s about a current affairs show and the spectacular court trial that followed him bringing a doctor on who was high as gently caress and just talking out his rear end. That's why the tall other doctor next to him was grimacing, he knew he would have a lot of explaining to do to his colleagues the next day. Anyway, that starts next week, opening with a title card that just says,"Play the game if you want the rest of Joel & Ellie's story."

Well I’m sold.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the intro scene Joel was wearing his t-shirt backwards which you could tell by the seams being wrong, but I also noticed that his shirt had the size/laundry tag flipped inside out along his left(?) side near his stomach.

Was this a thing they did with t-shirts back in 2000 or whenever that scene was set? I'm not trying to be nitpicking but I honestly feel like this was a more recent thing they started doing with men's t-shirts. Before they always were up behind the neck. Nowadays I don't think I own a single t-shirt with the tag behind my neck, just along the seam near the bottom left side.

This is a joke, right? A new trend in joshing that the cool kids are doing on tiktok?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

exmarx posted:

watched the first ep because the show's getting good reviews and was pretty unimpressed (haven't played the game). the writing is really bad – especially the dialogue – and the scene of them trying to drive out of town was one of the worst directing choices i've ever seen in a 'prestige' show lol. what passes for cinematic in a video game just looks like a video game (i.e. dog poo poo) on a television show!

In the game the entire car set-piece plays out in an uninterrupted single take. IIRC there's only one hard cut in the whole opening, during the car crash.

They're actually very differently directed despite the matter of the scenes being largely identical -- identical burning roadside house, identical(?) dialogue about abandoning a desperate family, etc. etc. The television version provides far more coverage, for one thing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the scene in the car was awesome and really well done. Much more intense and involved than if it had exterior static shots.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m not really sure what was video gamey about the scene, especially since the bit it’s drawn from us a cinematic rather than gameplay. A cinematic inspired by Children of Men, which is one of the most drat cinematic experiences put on film.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it's probably beat-for-beat much the same as the game, but being inside a car during a tense crazy situation is inherently claustrophobic and it reminded me more of Children of Men's excellent car scene than the game's

edit - lol I had this unposted in another tab while I rewatched the Children of Men scene on youtube. Never occurred to me that it probably did directly influence the scene in the game and therefore in turn the scene in the show.

For those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92jRtqjYMs

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, Druckmann recently said in a few interviews that Children of Men was the initial inspiration for TLOU. It was a bit vindicating because in the past I was always told I was reading too much into the similarities when I pointed them out to people. There really are a lot of parallels with plot, characters, set pieces, and themes though. It’s largely the ending and nature of the pandemic that are different.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's a good thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

spankmeister posted:

Those people likely had those amputations because they were bitten.

Doubtful, anyone who gets bitten would just be killed, why take the chance?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

NieR Occomata posted:

Fun fact: this was originally the cold open of the show.

really? i did like the intro we got but that one would have been even more awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

really? i did like the intro we got but that one would have been even more awesome

Yes, Mazin and Druckmann confirmed it on the companion podcast. According to them, it was too dry of an opening and made the show seem like a biology class. I can see their point; the first scene of the show being an intoned voiceover over what they did (which I loving loved) would give the impression that the show is more explanatory and pseudo-educational than it actually is.