Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

This might also explain why more people hadn't perished.
Note: There are some distressing moments in this.

This all sounds bad but not really enough to warrant a distressing warning .... holy poo poo there it is. What a horrible thing to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Inceltown posted:

This all sounds bad but not really enough to warrant a distressing warning .... holy poo poo there it is. What a horrible thing to go through.

Yeah, it's a very stark contrast to the rest of the anecdote.

If anyone is interested, a 2011 report titled Institutional response and Indigenous experiences of Cyclone Tracy supplies short-form reports of the victims, given the time and resources these reports were made it is all very lacking, but really helps give a description of what these people went through.

The reports start on page 41, though I wouldn't recommend reading them if you don't want to feel particularly bad.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261879020_Institutional_response_and_Indigenous_experiences_of_Cyclone_Tracy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

quote:

His parents had a lodger who had gone to bed drunk that night. His room, and the roof over it, was the only part of the house left intact. The rest of the house was razed. He had slept through the whole thing. They were standing outside his door to see his face as he emerged. It was worth the wait.

We all know this guy

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

This might also explain why more people hadn't perished.
Note: There are some distressing moments in this.

There's a sound recording of Tracey of (IIRC) at the National Museum in Canberra. The sound of all that corrugated iron scraping along the road and cars and houses was awful. Must have been like being in a long explosion.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Like a 6 hour long train derailment.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DumbparameciuM posted:

There's a sound recording of Tracey of (IIRC) at the National Museum in Canberra. The sound of all that corrugated iron scraping along the road and cars and houses was awful. Must have been like being in a long explosion.

It's in the main museum at Darwin but yeah, it's pretty full-on

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

If you have 50 minutes, there's a surprisingly little known doco shot in the days after Tracy. It's pretty raw. But very eye-opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5b4fDiSoTU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Outrail posted:

We all know this guy

My flatmate, now a pickled punk rocker about to turn 60, was sleeping in a tiny crew bunk next to the engine of a yacht some rich 80s patron of the bar he worked at owned, three moors down from the Rainbow Warrior when it was bombed in Auckland. He was very surprised to get up and find three guns pointed at him, because he’d slept though the whole thing, including police clearing out the neighbouring boats.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m a seppo and I started putting vegemite on my grilled cheese sandwiches a few months ago, never looked back. Fried white bread, American cheese, and vegemite makes for a meal beyond compare. Put some hot sauce on top, you’re golden.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Following the theme of last week, some kickass old terrace houses in King's Cross (which was actually named Queen's Cross until 1905). They were knocked down in the 70s to build the Kings Cross police station

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I remember being 25, in a sharehouse where we had forgotten to put recycling out for 2 cycles, and we all prowled the streets trying to find available recycling space on the street at like 9:30 in the evening

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

webmeister posted:

Following the theme of last week, some kickass old terrace houses in King's Cross (which was actually named Queen's Cross until 1905). They were knocked down in the 70s to build the Kings Cross police station

loving wonderful old places, drat!

Jestery posted:

I remember being 25, in a sharehouse where we had forgotten to put recycling out for 2 cycles, and we all prowled the streets trying to find available recycling space on the street at like 9:30 in the evening

Mate, that's a sharehouse standard. We called it Ninja Binning where you find the least full neighbour bins and top them up.

There was a sharehouse in Marrickville that I lived in that was full of punks in their early 20's. It wasn't great but I REALLY needed somewhere to live at the time, and it was cheap.
The bin rarely made it to the wheelie on time, and the wheelie almost never made it the 2 meters to the curb for collection, thougt this stopped happening as soon as I moved in and at least remembered to do it 90% of the time.

Over the previous year, the buildup of excess binbags were stored in the carshed at the back of the property, it didn't actually smell much, thankfully, there were more empty tin cans than discarded food cos none of these kids could cook.

Eventually, while saving to move out, and cycling through irresponsible, inexperienced young housemates who were nice but loving useless without their parents, the leaseholders decided to move out (THANK gently caress, one of these two was the worst and biggest catalyst of the poo poo living conditions.) and just signed the lease over to me and my partner at the time because they decided that it was too hard to do anything else.

I moved a bunch of other people in after booting some kids who should have stayed living at home and really shouldn't have been living in someone's loungeroom without the consensus of the entire house. One ol mate and a Finnish working visa weirdo spent a few weeks rebagging ALL the garbage in the shed, while redistributing the new bags around the bins on our block on bin night, eventually cleaning the shed to spotless.

Then they never used it.

I held on to that house for another 7 years, it was a dive, but it was never THAT bad again.

These days, I still do a bit of the ol ninja bin. but only if I have one single bag that needs to be collected and I figure it's easier to drop it into the neighbours red than drag my own out.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 16, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m a seppo and I started putting vegemite on my grilled cheese sandwiches a few months ago, never looked back. Fried white bread, American cheese, and vegemite makes for a meal beyond compare. Put some hot sauce on top, you’re golden.

JFC :frogout:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I only use hot sauce sometimes. :(

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solid thread here

https://twitter.com/AdamCSharp/status/1615092160960897025

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress, and they say we don't have any culture

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's nice that an old Jimeoin joke made the list. Going off like a frog in a sock has been a go to phrase of mine for years.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

This is great.
I take back (some of) the things i've said about you.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Concreter's Caviar hehe

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/AdamCSharp/status/1615267326835687424

lol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OgNar posted:

This is great.
I take back (some of) the things i've said about you.

It's not my thread so you can keep saying them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone who is familiar with the GBS Friday thread, knows that I'm quite partial to "SKULL/SKULLING SOME PISS"

Probably my favorite 'Straya slang.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Today in Australiana History!

It is the 46th anniversary of the Granville Train Disaster.

Not gonna write about it as we should all be quite aware of this event, but if you want to tuck into a bit more info, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_rail_disaster.

(BTW, Day Of The Roses got the cause completely wrong, but it wasn't the writers' fault)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Not gonna write about it as we should all be quite aware of this event, but if you want to tuck into a bit more info, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_rail_disaster.

(BTW, Day Of The Roses got the cause completely wrong, but it wasn't the writers' fault)

I'm always surprised at how many "big events" my kids know nothing about. Tracy, Granville Bridge, Tasman Bridge. I'm sure there are others they're only aware of because there have been documentaries or mini-series about them.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Lolie posted:

I'm always surprised at how many "big events" my kids know nothing about. Tracy, Granville Bridge, Tasman Bridge. I'm sure there are others they're only aware of because there have been documentaries or mini-series about them.

It's probably one of those 'find them in your own time' things because it can be confronting, though Australia is also pretty poo poo and keeping a lot of information available for events that weren't so publicised.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

I'd never heard about the Luna Park ghost train fire till that doco miniseries came out last year. Which was very good btw

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I was well aware of the Granville disaster since I grew up a few suburbs away and I’d think about it every time we drove across the new bridge.

But I’d entirely forgotten about the Tasman Bridge one in Hobart! With “only” a handful of people killed, maybe it wasn’t such a huge deal outside of Tasmania?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had never heard about the Tasman bridge one either until I went to Tasmania and the person on the ferry announcing the landmarks on the way to MONA pointed it out and spoke about it briefly. Really sad stuff :(

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

My uncle lost his then girlfriend in that tragedy, the story goes that he offered to drive her home but she insisted that it would be asking too much to make him drive so far out of the way before work so she caught the train instead, my uncle waved her off at the station and never saw her alive again.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

webmeister posted:

I was well aware of the Granville disaster since I grew up a few suburbs away and I’d think about it every time we drove across the new bridge.

But I’d entirely forgotten about the Tasman Bridge one in Hobart! With “only” a handful of people killed, maybe it wasn’t such a huge deal outside of Tasmania?

The Newcastle earthquake was a huge story at the time but it doesn't occupy the same place in the Australian psyche as floods, fires, and cyclones which have caused fewer deaths and resulted in less damage.

https://newcastle.nsw.gov.au/library/newcastle-stories/online-collections/the-newcastle-1989-earthquake

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Tasman Bridge collapse was a pretty big deal because it was the only connection between the Eastern side of the Derwent River and the Western side. It collapsing pretty much split Hobart in half.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Yeah. I remember watching the Granville train thing on the telly when I was a kid. Seemed quite heavy at the time. The death toll kept rising.

Also Cyclone Tracy. My uncle was stationed at the RAAF base at Darwin. The rest of the family had gone to Brisbane for the holidays.

The Luna Park Ghost Train fire. Which I had actually been on a few years before. Was pretty scary even without the fire.

I don't remember the Tasman Bridge.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

If you have 50 minutes, there's a surprisingly little known doco shot in the days after Tracy. It's pretty raw. But very eye-opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5b4fDiSoTU

Holy poo poo! My father is in that video.
He was on the HMAS Hobart.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

coldpudding posted:

My uncle lost his then girlfriend in that tragedy, the story goes that he offered to drive her home but she insisted that it would be asking too much to make him drive so far out of the way before work so she caught the train instead, my uncle waved her off at the station and never saw her alive again.

Didnt it happen early morning?

I have a workmate who's father was meant to get the train after, and at least 4 times a year i have to listen to how his father was walking back up the street home after the derail (i fear ill be hearing the story tomorrow)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lolie posted:

The Newcastle earthquake was a huge story at the time but it doesn't occupy the same place in the Australian psyche as floods, fires, and cyclones which have caused fewer deaths and resulted in less damage.

https://newcastle.nsw.gov.au/library/newcastle-stories/online-collections/the-newcastle-1989-earthquake

Man the Newcastle earthquake was a formative event in my childhood! Eight years old, staying with my grandparents in Newcastle over Christmas. I was literally in the bath, reaching over for the tap to turn off the hot water when the tap jumped up to meet my hand! Suddenly everything started shaking violently, and I distinctly remember staring at this large air vent in the ceiling that I was oddly terrified of as a kid, certain that whatever horror had hidden in the roof space was about to burst out and rip the house down. Then my dad burst into the room yelling EARTHQUAKE and physically dragged me, butt naked, out of the tub, the bathroom and eventually the house. So I’m there screaming, stuck between my worst nightmare of the house collapsing, and my other worst nightmare of public nudity. Thankfully the house survived and we could go back inside pretty quickly.

For some reason it’s never left me :v:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I think I had conflated the Westgate and the Tasman bridge collapses in my mind until I saw a youtube video about the latter only recently and realised they were two events.

The disaster that sticks in my mind though is the Thredbo landslide.

webmeister posted:

Man the Newcastle earthquake was a formative event in my childhood! Eight years old, staying with my grandparents in Newcastle over Christmas. I was literally in the bath, reaching over for the tap to turn off the hot water when the tap jumped up to meet my hand! Suddenly everything started shaking violently, and I distinctly remember staring at this large air vent in the ceiling that I was oddly terrified of as a kid, certain that whatever horror had hidden in the roof space was about to burst out and rip the house down. Then my dad burst into the room yelling EARTHQUAKE and physically dragged me, butt naked, out of the tub, the bathroom and eventually the house. So I’m there screaming, stuck between my worst nightmare of the house collapsing, and my other worst nightmare of public nudity. Thankfully the house survived and we could go back inside pretty quickly.

For some reason it’s never left me :v:

lol

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

OK. Newcastle Earthquake story.

One of my other uncles lived in Newcastle. Had a nice place with a nice pool. One morning he dived into the pool. [Earthquake happens]. He swam underwater and surfaced at the shallow end. He looked around and all the paving stones around the pool were all hosed up and broken. He's an engineer, so it broke his head for a bit until he heard the panic and screaming from the wife and kids in the house.

The moral of the story is that you should be submerged underwater in an inground pool when an earthquake hits.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Meskhenet posted:

Didnt it happen early morning?

I have a workmate who's father was meant to get the train after, and at least 4 times a year i have to listen to how his father was walking back up the street home after the derail (i fear ill be hearing the story tomorrow)

It's the way my uncle tells it, I would not put it past him to have slept in that day and lied about her not wanting to take the car since he is a massive dickhead, if you ever met him in person you'd think he was born with his head his own arse.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I was living about 30kms outside of Newcastle city when the earthquake hit. The whole house shook and there was this low, long rumbling noise. I was only about 7 at the time so I just sat there looking out the window not understanding what was going on. Our house was fine, we were far enough out of town that nothing was damaged. But my grandma who did live in Newcastle was in the worker's club playing bingo, she was evacuated just minutes before the entire place caved in on itself.

The best story I've heard about the earthquake involves the old hospital in newy that used to be right up next to the beach. When the quake hit, they evacuated it and the muster point was literally on the beach so a non zero amount of anethethatised people woke up later on their gurneys looking at the ocean instead of the hospital ceiling and thought they'd died during surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

bee posted:

I was living about 30kms outside of Newcastle city when the earthquake hit. The whole house shook and there was this low, long rumbling noise. I was only about 7 at the time so I just sat there looking out the window not understanding what was going on. Our house was fine, we were far enough out of town that nothing was damaged. But my grandma who did live in Newcastle was in the worker's club playing bingo, she was evacuated just minutes before the entire place caved in on itself.

Man that's loving lucky, glad she made it out! My aunt and uncle plus my cousins were in Garden City at the time and said there was chunks of concrete falling from the ceiling. Still vividly remember my obese uncle arriving at my grandparents place looking like he was about to die of a heart attack, having run the ~3km from Garden City to make sure we were okay. Thankfully we were all fine, I'd put some clothes on and we were sitting on the front lawn boiling billy tea and listening to the portable radio since all the power was out.

quote:

The best story I've heard about the earthquake involves the old hospital in newy that used to be right up next to the beach. When the quake hit, they evacuated it and the muster point was literally on the beach so a non zero amount of anethethatised people woke up later on their gurneys looking at the ocean instead of the hospital ceiling and thought they'd died during surgery.

lol