Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I *really* wish people would wear their goddamned, loving seatbelts. Ejection makes the accident nearly unsurvivable except in unicorn cases.

This thing is all really sad and even if the tox screen comes back positive, these kids didn't deserve to die for being irresponsible. It loving sucks all the way around.

fuckin' seat belts, man. I trained my kids to put them on automatically every single time they're in any car, practically drilled it into their heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mdemone posted:

fuckin' seat belts, man. I trained my kids to put them on automatically every single time they're in any car, practically drilled it into their heads

I don't even move my car 5 feet without a seatbelt on. It's the first thing I do when I get in the car. It's always so aggravating being in a car with someone who doesn't put their seatbelt on immediately. Had a friend once that would routinely drive without it on and just listen to that stupid beeping. She always had to be reminded to put it on. I don't get it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Grittybeard posted:

I'm either missing the joke because I'm dumb or I'm missing finding out about this after trying to look it up.

Either way Michigan has had a ton of drama going on here after having a pretty good season.

e: oh it's this I guess?

It looks like he accessed someone else's email based upon some sleuthing one of the insiders did at 247. There is a police report/complaint about that around Jan 5th, which came from Schembechler Hall.

Dude is loving weird.

PostNouveau posted:

It's the Big 10 y'all already know what he did you're just in denial

That would be the FBI, not the local PD.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/BrandonHuffman/status/1615521288843563009?s=20&t=mh8fQ6TVv2STjncmdkGimQ

It's Mertz time! :confuoot:

You have a UGA employee driving probably a school-owned vehicle and she kills a player. Maybe while drunk, too. Plaintiffs firms are surely all over this kid's family by now. What a goddamn foolish waste of life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rubenstein referred to the situation as a 'lowkey nightmare' for Florida's offseason by totally bungling something as simple as buying players--particularly when all their rivals have their poo poo together.

I mean, Rashada is a great prospect but you could've seen this poo poo coming from a mile away--he was clearly shopping highest bidder from day one which is his right. Obviously compensation is totally going to drive the decision.

Napier's entire pitch was being a control freak with a plan and this kinda blows a gigantic hole in it.

LLCoolJD posted:

You have a UGA employee driving probably a school-owned vehicle and she kills a player. Maybe while drunk, too. Plaintiffs firms are surely all over this kid's family by now. What a goddamn foolish waste of life.

Almost certainly. The driver is the staffer that died, right? It's going to be a mess. Hopefully they can at least make the survivors somewhat whole with big settlements. What a mess.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's a real tragedy that two people are dead, but it does raise questions regarding improper relationships between students and employees of the team. There should probably be more of a wall of professional separation there.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Komet posted:

It's a real tragedy that two people are dead, but it does raise questions regarding improper relationships between students and employees of the team. There should probably be more of a wall of professional separation there.

It's a tough question to pose when two people just died. There's no NCAA rule against it, for what it's worth, but yeah I'm sure it's not uncommon. Why do young women and young men usually pair up at 2:45 in the morning?

LeeMajors posted:

Napier's entire pitch was being a control freak with a plan and this kinda blows a gigantic hole in it.

What I've read is that some knuckleheads are trying to make promises and call shots on Florida's NIL, when they shouldn't be. I don't know how much of an organizational advantage other programs have on Florida when it comes to NIL, there's so much behind-the-scenes skullduggery going on it's really hard to read how things are going.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My first thought was maybe she was playing DD for some folks on the team when I heard of the crash. Obviously with it being a one car accident and speed playing a significant factor, it’s a pretty tough look. Apparently some players were following and literally held him while he died. It’s just a bad situation all around.

Don’t drive drunk. West a seatbelt. Get an Uber or Lyft if you need to.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

What I've read is that some knuckleheads are trying to make promises and call shots on Florida's NIL, when they shouldn't be. I don't know how much of an organizational advantage other programs have on Florida when it comes to NIL, there's so much behind-the-scenes skullduggery going on it's really hard to read how things are going.

I mean, Florida whiffing on flirty, big-time recruits has been a cornerstone of the last decade but this seems uniquely embarrassing. Makes the entire program look like a bunch of disorganized, bumbling idiots.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently some players were following and literally held him while he died.

gently caress

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Supposedly next (this?) season's Big 12 schedule will be released soon. There's been a lot of consternation because between adding four teams and the assumed departure of OU and Texas after this season a few teams are going to be playing OU and/or Texas on the road without the return game for ticket sales next year. Also very likely teams will be doubling-up on at least one road game they played this year.

Rumor has it OU will not be playing Kansas or Kansas State but will be playing all four newcomers. I'll be disappointed if OU and KSU have already played their final game :(

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Here in Houston we've heard the following -

Home: UTSA, Sam Houston, TCU, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Texas
Away: Rice, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas, UCF

But no dates other than TCU in Week 3. Welcome to the Big 12 indeed.

If true that's just an incredibly favorable schedule - if only UH had the horses

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2023

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently some players were following and literally held him while he died.

Goddamn

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't even move my car 5 feet without a seatbelt on. It's the first thing I do when I get in the car. It's always so aggravating being in a car with someone who doesn't put their seatbelt on immediately. Had a friend once that would routinely drive without it on and just listen to that stupid beeping. She always had to be reminded to put it on. I don't get it.

I can not stand people who don't buckle up before moving their car and instead start moving and then start to buckle up. It's so unnecessary and inefficient.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 18, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Komet posted:

Is it clear who the person was who was driving and what their role was? I thought I saw earlier in the thread it was a recruitment coordinator and lord knows that could just be a junior or senior in college. (If I misread I’ll blame it on baby-induced insomnia)

Wear your drat seatbelts, too. Cannot be stressed enough. No airbag is gonna save you without the belt, no other piece of passive safety design in a car is going to work without it.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I believe the driver was a recruiting staffer, a woman who was 24. In the backseat was a second player and another team employee of some sort, another woman who was 26. Both people in the backseat were not seriously injured. I'm not sure if the riders in the backseat had seatbelts or not. I get that the age difference isn't great, but even if you change the scenario to a graduate student partying with undergrads from a class he TAs and crashing a car at 3am, it's still an ethics violation. It's a terrible tragedy and everyone should wear a seatbelt of course. But also from an administrative standpoint, this level of social contact should be forbidden.

edit: I got some facts wrong. The guy in the backseat had his seatbelt on and only had stitches on his forehead. The girl in the backseat was not wearing a belt and is in critical condition. The player in the front had no seatbelt on and was ejected and died. The driver was still in the vehicle but may have died on impact or shortly after at the hospital.

https://news.yahoo.com/crash-report-released-car-wreck-213343053.html

Komet fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 18, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grittybeard posted:

I'm either missing the joke because I'm dumb or I'm missing finding out about this after trying to look it up.

LeeMajors posted:

Ferris Bueller joke
:hmmyes:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

harperdc posted:

Is it clear who the person was who was driving and what their role was? I thought I saw earlier in the thread it was a recruitment coordinator and lord knows that could just be a junior or senior in college. (If I misread I’ll blame it on baby-induced insomnia)

Wear your drat seatbelts, too. Cannot be stressed enough. No airbag is gonna save you without the belt, no other piece of passive safety design in a car is going to work without it.

I literally have an entire unit of my physics class built around the topic question "why are seat belts important"

But then again one of my students died this year in a car accident so maybe....I should move the unit earlier in the year?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How about that time that Arch lost his student ID a second time this week.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

I can not stand people who don't buckle up before moving their car and instead start moving and then start to buckle up. It's so unnecessary and inefficient.

The literal only time I ever move the car without my seat belt is when I have to move one into the street to get the other car out of the driveway. We're on the end of the cul de sac and there's about a zero percent chance of anything going wrong.

Meanwhile my wife will get a quarter of a mile down the road beeping away

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

The literal only time I ever move the car without my seat belt is when I have to move one into the street to get the other car out of the driveway. We're on the end of the cul de sac and there's about a zero percent chance of anything going wrong.

Same, no clu de sac, but only when I'm flipping my beater around so I can use the tailgate as a saw horse when I'm projecting in the driveway. And then I'm probably 50-50.

But I also look both ways when the light turns green too cause I've seen enough numbnuts plow through red lights at 60 in a 45 to fill a stadium.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
lol if you don't exclusively ghost ride the whip

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Seaniqua posted:

Gotta Teen Wolf it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

East Bay intensifies

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
NCAA: ok sign this thing that said you lied and we'll give you a slap on the wrist
Harbaugh: lol no gently caress that
NCAA: ok fine, but there's a heavy penalty if you see this through
Harbaugh: lol no gently caress you get out of my town
Harbaugh: but before you go, if you're hungry for breakfast I have a burger joint recommendation

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1616054145147879424?t=LqBi4w3X3OLB5RfReou8xQ&s=19

Not only is this a letthemfight.gif, but Michigan produces some of the most annoying lawyers (and people) in the country and the school president is a sports nut. There's gonna be comedy comin'.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Misopogon/status/1616060578895728664?t=b-JqF3aBHyLGiwIVDDUmng&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 19, 2023

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I look forward to the John U. Bacon book on these dealings. Roughing the Passer: Jim Harbaugh in the Crosshairs and the Battle for America's Soul, something like that

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

It's weird to see the dessicated corpse of NCAA enforcement going after Harbaugh while players are openly getting paid to enroll or transfer. They've lost the plot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LLCoolJD posted:

It's weird to see the dessicated corpse of NCAA enforcement going after Harbaugh while players are openly getting paid to enroll or transfer. They've lost the plot.

The weirdest bit of all that is that one of Michigan's co-OCs was apparently hacking into people's emails.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...er/69818196007/

It's a local AAPD thing and not federal, but nobody really knows what exactly the gently caress is going on here. Harbaugh and Co apparently admitted to all the Level II violations yesterday, but the NCAA has something personal going on or a personal source and wouldn't accept Harbaugh's "I didn't recall, gently caress you!" answer.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Do you feel judged?

https://twitter.com/HomefieldApparl/status/1615798464251629574

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

facialimpediment posted:

the NCAA has something personal going on or a personal source and wouldn't accept Harbaugh's "I didn't recall, gently caress you!" answer.

If Harbaugh repeats it enough the NCAA will just say "ok fine" and drop it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Oh no, Pete's laid its eggs

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

If Harbaugh repeats it enough the NCAA will just say "ok fine" and drop it

I like to always remind people of the time the NCAA had to let North Carolina off the hook because they insisted do-nothing, crap classes were available to everyone and not just athletes

if you're willing to take a hit to your reputation and stick with it the NCAA can't do poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And Mizzou cooperated and hit hit with a bowl ban anyway

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

NCAA is forever chasing the wrong squirrel up the wrong tree. I'm glad collegiate athletic compliance is not where I went with my career.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

applying for lawboy jobs at alabama and there are a surprising number of opportunities to work in ncaa defense (that is, helping institutions defend themselves against ncaa investigations)

maybe that's just the part of the country i'm in but i figured this industry would be 1. in decline and 2. mostly handled internally by the universities

how hard could it be to figure out "just don't cooperate"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And Mizzou cooperated and hit hit with a bowl ban anyway

I think hitting bowls is still technically banned

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lots of schools have demonstrated that just constantly going “gently caress you” to the NCAA works. Deny everything, never help them in an investigation, never admit wrong doing, and eventually they just give up and go away.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lots of schools have demonstrated that just constantly going “gently caress you” to the NCAA works. Deny everything, never help them in an investigation, never admit wrong doing, and eventually they just give up and go away.

Cross-sports posting but Oklahoma State self-reporting violations in men's BBall only to get hit with a postseason ban (under a totally different coaching regime!) is proof enough that, at the very least, there's zero point in trying to be honest and "do the right thing."

Even OU fans were pretty drat incensed about that. Total bullshit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

"Don't talk to the cops" holds true once again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

"Don't talk to the cops" holds true once again.

Harbaugh watched this video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgWHrkDX35o&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Declan MacManus posted:

applying for lawboy jobs at alabama and there are a surprising number of opportunities to work in ncaa defense (that is, helping institutions defend themselves against ncaa investigations)

maybe that's just the part of the country i'm in but i figured this industry would be 1. in decline and 2. mostly handled internally by the universities

how hard could it be to figure out "just don't cooperate"

Let me know if you hear any good Culverhouse dirt. I'm a frigging addict.