Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

San Francisco ... went for a bathroom break, opened the door to see the entire bathroom covered in vomit
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's been so long since I've been here I've forgotten to be constantly looking out for human turds on the sidewalk.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnn, I heard San Francisco lost its luster when the Tech people started piling in, but the weird amount of hostility my partner and I came across all weekend was incredibly bizarre, including getting chased off by police in riot gear halfway through a screening of the new Avatar when my guy went for a bathroom break, opened the door to see the entire bathroom covered in vomit, turned around and immediately saw a manager talking to cops who stopped, turned and pointed at him. Instead of pointing out how he was spotless so it clearly wasn't him, my dude just ran away. And the frequent stink eye we got while walking around town the night of the Residents 50th after we bought a bunch of cheap womens' clothing to wear to the show? Come on. It's SF. It's not even high drag, we're just wearing nice looking suit stuff.

Anyway, The Residents promised something Once in a Lifetime for their 50th Anniversary and goddamn, they probably were right this time around. This one-off performance was quite the effort that pooled together a wild amount of talent including a four-piece dance troupe (dressed in all black with duck hats), the San Francisco Girls Chorus, A 30-piece A Cappella troupe and seemingly the entire student body of the San Francisco Music Conservatory. Probably around 70-100 performers all together? That's not even counting guest singers like Les Claypool, David J from Bauhaus and even someone like Pamela Zeibak who hasn't performed with or been on a Residents recording since '77.

Having an entire school's worth of performers and instruments is really what seals the deal: due to the nature of the album recordings, material always gets re-written/arranged for tours (which is an aspect I love), but having a full orchestra allowing them to perform the songs as recorded (often for the first time in 50 years) brings out the strength of the writing, even down to including the fumbling. For a band who has a fixation on tuned percussion, having an actual marimba for the performance was the real key to that show.

And shoutout to the dancers, who spent the entire time while the stage was being set up sweeping the floors before breaking into dance to let you know the show was going on the entire time. Good bit. I love when the lighting hit them just right they looked like a mass of writing limbs.

The real corker of the evening is after closing out the show with Nobody Laughs When they Leave off of Freak Show, the conductor who was right next to us immediately turned to my partner, shoved the conductor's notes in his hands, bowed and walked off. On top of that I managed to snag original artwork from Leigh Barbier commissioned for the show. There were only five different character drawings made for the entire show and I had to have Whitey. Oh yeah, and the ticket for the show. All of this poo poo is getting put under glass for the genuine relics they are:

:swoon:

Got some vinyl, too! This original recording of the first showing of God in Three Persons was for Kickstarter and they had a few leftovers:

Here's a couple more photos and then I'm off to bed 'cause we've been up for three days straight partying. Peace!

loving phenomenal. Just for my curiosity, do you know what they were playing, esp. the keyboardist? I'm pretty envious of your life here, apparently.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

petit choux posted:

loving phenomenal. Just for my curiosity, do you know what they were playing, esp. the keyboardist?
I don't know squat about tech unfortunately, though I poked around online and found one of the current keyboards is a A Mellotron M4000D Mini. On the orchestral side of things, lots of strings, brass, marimba, stand up bass and they even busted out Tubular Bells for a song.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Yeah my Technics seems to work just fine. When I got it I immediately replaced the cartridge (which had never been replaced in 28 years) with a cheap Audio-Technica P-mount cartridge but my understanding has always been that that's really the limiting factor for this turntable so I've always wanted one with a more traditional mount.

But if this is the case, I might be in luck. I will need to investigate further.

The Insignia turntable came in today. Looks decent for a secondary turntable at the very least. Now to find a home for it, and maybe some bookshelf speakers.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am trying to learn.

I set up my new turntable yesterday. Got some nice Edifier bookshelf speakers and honestly everything sounds great.

Part of setting up the turntable was attaching and then adjusting the counterbalance. This is something I have never done, as my Technics has a static tonearm. There are no adjustments to the counterbalance.

Do all of the P-mount cartridges have the same tracking force? Or, if I upgrade, do I need to find a cartridge that has the same tracking force as the one my turntable came with from the factory?

Long-term I'm trying to determine if I'm better off buying a nicer cartridge for the turntable I have, or saving up a bit more for a better turntable that would give me more options.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 17, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am trying to learn.

I set up my new turntable yesterday. Got some nice Edifier bookshelf speakers and honestly everything sounds great.

Part of setting up the turntable was attaching and then adjusting the counterbalance. This is something I have never done, as my Technics has a static tonearm. There are no adjustments to the counterbalance.

Do all of the P-mount cartridges have the same tracking force? Or, if I upgrade, do I need to find a cartridge that has the same tracking force as the one my turntable came with from the factory?

Long-term I'm trying to determine if I'm better off buying a nicer cartridge for the turntable I have, or saving up a bit more for a better turntable that would give me more options.

As far as I know, p-mount was supposed to remove all the guesswork of balancing a tonearm, so everything is balanced from the factory to the correct spec. If a cartridge is designed to use a higher/ lower tracking force, they just manufacture the cartridge to be heavier or lighter. So it should just be plug and play.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

As far as I know, p-mount was supposed to remove all the guesswork of balancing a tonearm, so everything is balanced from the factory to the correct spec. If a cartridge is designed to use a higher/ lower tracking force, they just manufacture the cartridge to be heavier or lighter. So it should just be plug and play.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking and hoping for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Hell yeah. Looks amazing

The blu-ray has a beautiful restoration but Neil Young decided to recut the film and also removed about 2/3 of the Hey Hey My My scene which is the best part of the movie. If you want to see the original cut you're going to have to watch an old VHS transfer. The full version of that sequence is on youtube at least.

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnn, I heard San Francisco lost its luster when the Tech people started piling in, but the weird amount of hostility my partner and I came across all weekend was incredibly bizarre, including getting chased off by police in riot gear halfway through a screening of the new Avatar when my guy went for a bathroom break, opened the door to see the entire bathroom covered in vomit, turned around and immediately saw a manager talking to cops who stopped, turned and pointed at him. Instead of pointing out how he was spotless so it clearly wasn't him, my dude just ran away. And the frequent stink eye we got while walking around town the night of the Residents 50th after we bought a bunch of cheap womens' clothing to wear to the show? Come on. It's SF. It's not even high drag, we're just wearing nice looking suit stuff.

Maybe the cops were getting into the 50th Anniversary experience too by harassing men for wearing women's clothes in public just like they did in the 70s!

Is there anything straights can't ruin?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

The blu-ray has a beautiful restoration but Neil Young decided to recut the film and also removed about 2/3 of the Hey Hey My My scene which is the best part of the movie. If you want to see the original cut you're going to have to watch an old VHS transfer. The full version of that sequence is on youtube at least.

i hadn't caught that, drat

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Got my copies of I Hate Myself's Ten Songs although it's technically eleven on this release (standard black) and Origami Angel's Gami Gang (looks like a cool beach ball)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found this for $1.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Got my copies of I Hate Myself's Ten Songs although it's technically eleven on this release (standard black) and Origami Angel's Gami Gang (looks like a cool beach ball)

This record wants me to quit and relaunch it to apply updates.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Boinks posted:

Found this for $1.

I'd love to know what you think because an album of all Moog poo poo sounds like exactly the kind of weird electronic poo poo I'd be into

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

joylessdivision posted:

I'd love to know what you think because an album of all Moog poo poo sounds like exactly the kind of weird electronic poo poo I'd be into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdCR335_-c

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh god

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah!

Also OMG I laughed so loving hard just now as it was playing and I heard the chorus to Age of Aquarius :allears: this loving rules.
E: Yeah this rules, listened to it while writing this post lol

Anyway lemme dump my recent mail arrivals:

the other side is actually mostly black with a bit of blue, looks pretty cool. And to whoever was saying this album sounded weird and was looking for my input, after listening to the vinyl and the digital copy I have, it's just the album, it's meant to sound that way lol.

Kinda pissed because I love this score but side B is ever so slightly warped so some tracks have a bit of a wobbly sound.

Sadly the digital edition has a couple extra songs I hoped would make it onto the vinyl but they didn't. Ah well, I can always enjoy "Saturday Night" via streaming

Sadly the photo doesn't really do the disc color justice, it looks so loving nice in person. Available at Target.

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure I killed any chance I had at a second date with a cute goth girl one time because I told her I prefered Peter Murphy's solo work to Bauhaus.

Another disc that pops way more in person

It's blue!

This one honestly feels like the most "Premium" record I've bought, really nice stock for the cover, a full sleeve sized booklet with lyrics and pictures.

Clear with a red splatter, looks cool as hell

It is hella blue

Speaking of weird electronic poo poo I love :v:

Green vinyl that looks sick as hell

I've got a couple more odds and ends coming but I'll share em when they arrive

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure I killed any chance I had at a second date with a cute goth girl one time because I told her I prefered Peter Murphy's solo work to Bauhaus.

I have no son (tears beard)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Return of the Living Dead is bar none the best band-based soundtrack and every act on it is worth checking out. :buddy:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

petit choux posted:

I have no son (tears beard)

I respect Bauhaus and his work with them, I just prefer his solo work. :shrug:

caligulamprey posted:

Return of the Living Dead is bar none the best band-based soundtrack and every act on it is worth checking out. :buddy:

:hmmyes:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

I respect Bauhaus and his work with them, I just prefer his solo work. :shrug:

LOL back in the day you'd hear the "I have no son" a lot more over Bauhaus than Peter Murphy if my family was any indicator

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I was on a second or third date with this older metal\goth musician and Bauhaus came up on my mix I was playing for us; he took the opportunity to tell me the story of how he was introduced to them by a couple of super hot witches (his words) and how they were all over him at some party. For some reason I went out with him a few more times, but realized his favourite topic of conversation was reliving his heyday and how many girls were totally into him all the time, but trying to play down like he never really cared about them...I should've taken the Bauhaus clue and peaced out then.

Who knew Bauhaus were such harbingers of failed relationships.

E: To contribute some vinyl content, here are my recent acquisitions:

And a Christmas gift from a guy I'm seeing now who doesn't suck (this one has Another Saturday Night, joylessdivision!):

marjorie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 18, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve been listening to Sam Cooke a ton this week. Vinyl thread validates

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah Sam Cooke fans in the vinyl thread :hmmyes:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

It's pretty trippy. Plays around with stereo a bit, I need to listen again with headphones and maybe an edible.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

It's pretty trippy. Plays around with stereo a bit, I need to listen again with headphones and maybe an edible.

Yeah, I fell down the rabbit hole once again of surfing ebay vinyl for records like this late at night. I have since learned there are several more like this I'd like to find, but I'd like to also pay a dollar for them. This one sounds really, really good for one of these though :) .

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
get the first two Morton Subotnick albums op they're usually pretty cheap and i see them at thrift/dollar bins a lot

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

marjorie posted:

that is a nice slipmat

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Cloks posted:

that is a nice slipmat

Thanks! I took this screenshot to show mine and my other thread fave awhile back.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

marjorie posted:

And a Christmas gift from a guy I'm seeing now who doesn't suck (this one has Another Saturday Night, joylessdivision!):

BigFactory posted:

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah Sam Cooke fans in the vinyl thread :hmmyes:

Cooke-lings, rise up! :cheers: I was actually listening to "Touch the Hem of His Garment" on my bus ride to work this morning. :unsmith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RubberLuffy posted:

:hellyeah:

This is one of my favorite albums of all time and probably one of the first records I bought.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

BigFactory posted:

Sam Cooke rules, everyone likes Sam Cooke.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

petit choux posted:

Yeah, I fell down the rabbit hole once again of surfing ebay vinyl for records like this late at night. I have since learned there are several more like this I'd like to find, but I'd like to also pay a dollar for them. This one sounds really, really good for one of these though :) .
"Several" is putting it lightly. Trippy Moog albums are their own genre.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah got two of my favorite albums in today

If you like German electronic music from the 80s I recommend this one https://youtu.be/H9xU3Qv97Mg

And a top to bottom excellent pop record

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

So this one is really good, I think. I like it a lot more than the last. A couple shippable songs and Stewart has a reverb-y vocal treatment on a few that I don’t really like (although it works well on one too), but overall very solid. The Stevie song is probably my favorite on the whole record, which I never thought I’d say.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

So this one is really good, I think. I like it a lot more than the last. A couple shippable songs and Stewart has a reverb-y vocal treatment on a few that I don’t really like (although it works well on one too), but overall very solid. The Stevie song is probably my favorite on the whole record, which I never thought I’d say.

Deathbed of my Dreams on Previous is solid too. Together they form the perfect Stevie pairing

Dale Shaw for McSweeney's[i posted:

All Songs By the Other Guy[/i]

Contains the songs:

“Pretty Happy Lovely”

“Happy Lovely Lady”

“Lovely, Pretty, Happy”

“Happy, Lovely, Pretty, Happy”

“Love to Love Happiness”

“I Am the Deathbringer (My Confession)”
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-next-twelve-belle-and-sebastian-albums

(I have mixed feelings about that piece but it has its moments)

I really enjoyed Previous though that's hardly surprising. I received my vinyl on Saturday and my Japan CD came in Tuesday, I finally had a free minute to stage a proper shot early this morning.

Been listening to it since Saturday night, and enjoying it quite a bit. I usually like to live with an album for a week or three so my Marnie Stern which also came in Tuesday will have to wait:

AND it had a download code! For Bandcamp no less! A 2xLP with code for ~$20 in late 2022. I feel like I fell through a time tunnel. Baller.

marjorie posted:

I was on a second or third date with this older metal\goth musician and Bauhaus came up on my mix I was playing for us; he took the opportunity to tell me the story of how he was introduced to them by a couple of super hot witches (his words) and how they were all over him at some party. For some reason I went out with him a few more times, but realized his favourite topic of conversation was reliving his heyday and how many girls were totally into him all the time, but trying to play down like he never really cared about them...I should've taken the Bauhaus clue and peaced out then.

Who knew Bauhaus were such harbingers of failed relationships.

Now I need to get a Harold Lloyd slipmat

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 20, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
In other news, that Jeepster order from Black Friday came in last week. BBC Sessions is a (now late) xmas gift for a friend, and because it didn't come with an obi despite Jeepster's outdated page saying it would, and because I have undiagnosed mental problems, i painted a bootleg strip this week

The real strip from my US pressing doesn't have Storytelling represented, as Matador couldn't license it for whatever reason, probably because of snippets from the film that are in it (I remember their PR person lying* on FB back in 2014 and saying they never released it on vinyl originally, which is super weird as I own a Matador pressing of it :hmmno: ) but it was part of the UK Brilliant Career series, as evidenced by these photos from ebay

Anyway a few more detail shots, so you can really take in that line work and lettering

Final assembly.

It certainly is a sham, though I doubt it'll be going for a grand :rimshot:

*a pr person, lying?? quelle surprise!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Savers near me had a Metallica live record from 2017 in the glass case priced at 100 dollars. I guess the manager checks discogs when they recognize a famous band's album. I've noticed that they glass case anything that's a release from the last ten years and mark it up to internet prices.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I love the occasional Discogs user that sells sealed records for MSRP, even when all the other ones for sale are priced at twice as much. It's how I got my latest Pharoah Sanders record. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

In other news, that Jeepster order from Black Friday came in last week. BBC Sessions is a (now late) xmas gift for a friend, and because it didn't come with an obi despite Jeepster's outdated page saying it would, and because I have undiagnosed mental problems, i painted a bootleg strip this week

The real strip from my US pressing doesn't have Storytelling represented, as Matador couldn't license it for whatever reason, probably because of snippets from the film that are in it (I remember their PR person lying* on FB back in 2014 and saying they never released it on vinyl originally, which is super weird as I own a Matador pressing of it :hmmno: ) but it was part of the UK Brilliant Career series, as evidenced by these photos from ebay

Anyway a few more detail shots, so you can really take in that line work and lettering

Final assembly.

It certainly is a sham, though I doubt it'll be going for a grand :rimshot:

*a pr person, lying?? quelle surprise!

Amazing