Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Atomizer posted:

That's what it's called. Can't believe Valve named it that! :shrug:

It's cringe af, and you're the only one since Stux was threadbanned so yeah, everyone lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The last VA from a fan mod I remember reading about was that Portland fallout expansion where the writer got booted for writing (and getting people to voice) about his stinky feet fetish as part of the game.

lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

It's cringe af, and you're the only one since Stux was threadbanned so yeah, everyone lol

wrong, nerd

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The last VA from a fan mod I remember reading about was that Portland fallout expansion where the writer got booted for writing (and getting people to voice) about his stinky feet fetish as part of the game.

Take a smell, brother.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Steam Deck players 🤝 Fallout modders
"Check out this smell"

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

lordfrikk posted:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

you're the only 1 that doesn't call it by its name, actually.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

it is cringe though

it's like calling Trump Drumpf or something. Boomer humor.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It's real stupid, thread

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Boy I hate silly catchphrases *has gangtags*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

is the official deck still the best one to go for? i#m thinking of getting a HFR monitor at some point soon

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is the official deck still the best one to go for? i#m thinking of getting a HFR monitor at some point soon

From what I've heard the JSAUX dock is just fine but the official one will have firmware updates and continued support so IMO it's worth the extra money just for that.

*Please note that I do not have a dock.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's the safe option IMO, and the usefulness of the extra charger cannot be overstated if you want the dock to be a permanent fixture.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I have put more hours into my steam library in the 2 weeks I've had this thing than I did all of last year. Turns out all I need to do to play pc games is have it in a switch like format where it mostly Just Works. Thank you Lord Gaben, and thank you thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

I have put more hours into my steam library in the 2 weeks I've had this thing than I did all of last year. Turns out all I need to do to play pc games is have it in a switch like format where it mostly Just Works. Thank you Lord Gaben, and thank you thread.

yah it's the best thing i've bought in years. my series x just gets used for 4ks now lol.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

It also helps to be a dedicated device where you're not thinking well I could play games or I could keep looking at the forums/watching Youtube.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sleng Teng posted:

it is kinda impressive how much more fun games are on this thing than compares to any console or the switch. I tend to stream my ps5 games to it also instead of playing it on the actual ps5 just out of convenience and controls.

i started pentiment on it also and it plays great. great device

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

yah it's the best thing i've bought in years. my series x just gets used for 4ks now lol.

I'm still a series x gamepass and switch boy, but yeah

njsykora posted:

It also helps to be a dedicated device where you're not thinking well I could play games or I could keep looking at the forums/watching Youtube.

clarity of purpose :hai:

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I got the dock recently and have been using my Deck as a second computer both in desktop and gaming modes for a while. There are a few issues which still need to be worked out when plugged into a monitor (if I try and manually set the resolution in gaming mode I just get a blank screen on boot, for example, so I have to set it to auto which is 1080p60 scaled up to the actual monitor res) but I think they're common to it being plugged in, rather than being specifically a Valve dock thing, as they'd happen when I plugged into my USB-C monitor directly.

When you look at what's in the box and the features (especially the upgradable firmware, the manufacturer support and the DisplayPort) it definitely justified the extra cost compared to a generic model for me. I've plugged in my Macbook Air and iPad and it works just fine with them too, and they actually rest on the thing surprisingly well; the USB-C cable has enough room to go around to the side. The only thing it seems to be missing compared to a direct connection is Freesync/VRR.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: I'm pretty sure Freesync via the dock is coming in a future FW upgrade.

I bought the official dock and I like that it functions as a stand and doesn't skimp on ports*.

It's connected to our TV and since I have a ThinkPad dock setup in the office anyway, I can use that if I want to play on a monitor, but the TV is occupied.

Although it is a bit more expensive than the alternatives, I think the official dock is worth it.

*All USB-C docks with video output use DisplayPort internally, even if they only have HDMI. Leaving out the DP plug is silly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

Steam Deck players 🤝 Fallout modders
"Check out this smell"

:eyepop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Licking Switch cartridges, smelling Deck vent ports.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, it says on the store page for the dock that Freesync is coming later. Another reason I went for it - they're actually looking at supporting it properly.

One thing I'd love to see when that's implemented is the return of the refresh rate slider on external displays or a more granular frame limiter; the monitor I'm plugging this into maxes out at 170hz and the gaming mode presents frame rates based on that, even if it's actually running at 60 or something else. I think they'll get there, in the same way they've improved the experience in handheld mode - which is the important bit.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

As a Deck user with hyposmia, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole dimension of this device now.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

So how is the experience of the steam deck on a big TV? I'm sure that it varies wildly based on the game in question of course, but does it get fairly decent?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sleng Teng posted:

So how is the experience of the steam deck on a big TV? I'm sure that it varies wildly based on the game in question of course, but does it get fairly decent?

I haven't played any huge budget games on the deck, but my experience has been fine. No issues since getting the official dock.

E: One caveat. Make sure you get a dock capable of 60hz. I had a 30hz dock before and the experience was awful

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

With older games you’ll probably be able to run a solid 1080p, Valve games unsurprisingly can run a full 4k. Emulators obviously will look great (most of my Skies of Arcadia playthrough was docked) but a few don’t like being docked for some reason, Yuzu especially chugs like crazy when docked even in easier games. Be realistic with what you can run at higher res and it’s a great console-like experience.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Not a big TV but I've been very happy with it plugged into a screen; of course you need to set your expectations in terms of performance but in gaming mode it works really well. I've connected an 8bitdo Pro 2 to the dock and in gaming mode it just acts as the primary controller and 'just works', while also letting you set the deadzones for the sticks.

The only fiddly bit is that I've not worked out how to get to the right-hand menu without using the mouse yet but it's just as smooth and easy as when playing with the internal screen, just as long as you're happy with the resolution. It'll default to 1280x720 but you can manually change in the properties that on a per-game basis if the machine can handle it.

I think once they polish it up a bit more, a NUC-style machine tucked behind the TV will be a great gaming system using SteamOS if you want a bit more power or don't need the handheld function.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

does the steam dock do 120hz over Displayport?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I haven't played any huge budget games on the deck, but my experience has been fine. No issues since getting the official dock.

njsykora posted:

With older games you’ll probably be able to run a solid 1080p, Valve games unsurprisingly can run a full 4k. Emulators obviously will look great (most of my Skies of Arcadia playthrough was docked) but a few don’t like being docked for some reason, Yuzu especially chugs like crazy when docked even in easier games. Be realistic with what you can run at higher res and it’s a great console-like experience.

I am not likely to play big AAA or whatever games with the deck so this is good to hear, thank you

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

does the steam dock do 120hz over Displayport?

It's gone up to 144 on my 1440p monitor without a problem. Not quite the max 170 but the HDMI docks I've used in the past have stopped at 120.

edit: I tried on my AW3423DW, a 3440x1440 ultrawide that goes up to 175hz, and while that presents a 100hz option it only seems to work at 60, though Displayport anyway. Weirdly, over HDMI it does 100 just fine! I don't think it's the cable as I used the one I use with my main PC, but it could just be less forgiving of dodgy cables as the first one I ever tried on the system wouldn't even do 60hz.

Similarly, my LG CX maxes out at 60hz in 4k over HDMI but weirdly only supports 120hz at 1440 - as in it won't do 1440 at 60hz.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 18, 2023

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Necrothatcher posted:

it is cringe though

it's like calling Trump Drumpf or something. Boomer humor.
'Actually you're owned because you find it annoying and you're causing a problem by not just ignoring it' seems to be the attitude to this kinda thing. Its a lame injoke and pointing that out just makes the people doing it more insufferable and the thread worse.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the people crying and posting madly about the term "steam dreck" are the insufferable ones tbqh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

'Actually you're owned because you find it annoying and you're causing a problem by not just ignoring it' seems to be the attitude to this kinda thing. Its a lame injoke and pointing that out just makes the people doing it more insufferable and the thread worse.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr Phillby posted:

Get Drecked Son

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The Steam Dreck thing is weird and not funny, but also so inoffensive I basically just ignore it. Let the weird goon be weird, it isn't even making their posts worse.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I wasn't here for Stux but it's been a few months of reading and posting in this thread and it just seemed like that one guy trying to make fetch happen, so I can see why people started asking what the deal was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You've made like 10x the amount of posts about it than they ahve

And no I refuse to count accurately