Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Smugworth posted:

Idk, I'm starting to appreciate a reverse sear in an oven vs sous vide. It's just so wet when it comes out of the bag, hard to get a good sear without smoking my house out

I do a reverse sear with the whole beef tenderloin I buy for Christmas every year from Costco, and it always comes out perfectly. No grey ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:popeye:

unghf BEEFY

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I do a reverse sear with the whole beef tenderloin I buy for Christmas every year from Costco, and it always comes out perfectly. No grey ring.

This is the best snipe for this thread.

I also love a reverse sear, I think it's excellent for consistency and approachable for most cooks.

Has anyone seen shop lights with a pull string at their Costco? I need a few for my basement. I'd like to replace the two keyhole fixtures with them. I bought a few last year at a distant and haven't seen them at my local in a long time. I don't really want to trek out there but they were just right. Single strip of light, two pack, pull string operated.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Returned some anti fatigue kitchen mats today after a week. The edges didn't stay flat.
Someone two spots ahead of me in the return line was doing the same thing

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Smugworth posted:

Big mistake
You wanna render that fat a lil bit, med rare is where it's at

youre a big mistake

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

youre a big mistake

Hey hey hey let's all try to get along. Can I buy you a 20oz drink (with refill) friend?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m sorry I didn’t mean it I’m just on edge because it’s my pet lizard’s birthday next week and I haven’t been able to find the right present for him

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Post the recipe!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Dinner last night was Costco sea bass filets topped with Costco pesto and broiled, served with rice pilaf and Normandy vegetables. Couldn’t have been quicker or easier, the children housed it and asked for seconds: praise be

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinatown posted:

You would be an extremely dumb person to not use a meat thermometer when cooking that.

Sous vide for expensive cuts. Always.

I think 137F for a few hours is the good rendering temp for fatty beef. You don't want to just cook that thing rare.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Costco was selling a "made in Taiwan" bubble tea kit. After getting it I must say: Taiwan #1

I just googled for it and someone else seems to agree with me. For us it is indistinguishable from the ones in boba tea shop a block down the street: https://food52.com/drinks/tea/27143-taiwan-boba-milk-tea-costco-review

StormDrain posted:

I bought a regular spring mattress and everyone is happy about it.

Not at Costco though right? What was it? My Costco has no spring mattresses at all and said I'd have to order online... which is what I'd like to avoid because of all this rigamarole if it's not comfy.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zero VGS posted:

Costco was selling a "made in Taiwan" bubble tea kit. After getting it I must say: Taiwan #1

I just googled for it and someone else seems to agree with me. For us it is indistinguishable from the ones in boba tea shop a block down the street: https://food52.com/drinks/tea/27143-taiwan-boba-milk-tea-costco-review

Not at Costco though right? What was it? My Costco has no spring mattresses at all and said I'd have to order online... which is what I'd like to avoid because of all this rigamarole if it's not comfy.
Oh sweet we bought the bubble tea kit a while ago and just haven't tried it. Gonna break it open tonight now

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

canyoneer posted:

Returned some anti fatigue kitchen mats today after a week. The edges didn't stay flat.
Someone two spots ahead of me in the return line was doing the same thing

Finally got around to returning the lovely showerhead that didn't work and the lady in front of me was returning the same one.

I didn't talk to her about it though because I'm an antisocial goober.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Costco trip report: bought a lot of stuff I didn't need, in bulk. Money left my wallet, in bulk.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I'm on my second box of that kit.

Use whole fat milk it'll get you close to legit.

Like for the price $2.00 per drink is far cheaper than most shops around me which will be $4-8 at least and it's about 90% as good. Plus you don't have to leave your place to go get it.

If they put it on sale I'm stocking up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

B-Rock452 posted:

Oh sweet we bought the bubble tea kit a while ago and just haven't tried it. Gonna break it open tonight now

I'll also add that I was having all the tea hot, which worked for most but not the fruity one which was definitely meant to be iced. Having it hot was like having a hot mountain dew or something.

The normal black tea flavor tea (which you get the most of) is fine for my bf but a little too real/bitter for me (who can't take coffee/tea black) so a dash of cream made it perfect. The creme brulee and taro flavors were A+ out of the box.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm on my second box of that kit.

Use whole fat milk it'll get you close to legit.

Like for the price $2.00 per drink is far cheaper than most shops around me which will be $4-8 at least and it's about 90% as good. Plus you don't have to leave your place to go get it.

If they put it on sale I'm stocking up.

Yeah I derailed a food thread with my quest to always have Light Cream on the ready. It helps mellow the normal flavor.

Those shops they charge so goddamn much for sugar water and the last time I got one they added so much almond flavor I thought it was going to peel my skin off, like I don't know how you can mess that up but it was caustic. This kit puts that racket on notice for sure.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 18, 2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zero VGS posted:

I'll also add that I was having all the tea hot, which worked for most but not the fruity one which was definitely meant to be iced. Having it hot was like having a hot mountain dew or something.

The normal black tea flavor tea (which you get the most of) is fine for my bf but a little too real/bitter for me (who can't take coffee/tea black) so a dash of cream made it perfect. The creme brulee and taro flavors were A+ out of the box.

Yeah I derailed a food thread with my quest to always have Light Cream on the ready. It helps mellow the normal flavor.

Those shops they charge so goddamn much for sugar water and the last time I got one they added so much almond flavor I thought it was going to peel my skin off, like I don't know how you can mess that up but it was caustic. This kit puts that racket on notice for sure.

The legit shops are the ones that are an actual Taiwan or Asia franchise.

Notable ones are Gong-Cha or Tiger Sugar. Meet Fresh is another one I know of.

The passion fruit is definitely meant to be super ice cold, the rest are fine cold or even warm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The brown sugar boba popsicles are amazing. Grab a box if you see them.

Between those and the occasional Melona, Costco's popsicle game is world class

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Canadian Costco seems to have stopped selling beyond meat sausage this brings me great consternation and grief.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

canyoneer posted:

those things are one of my favorites

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah they had a stack of traditional mattresses as part of the furniture they sell this time of year. I don't know what brand or model.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, one other standout from my grocery trip: Mateo's salsa. Never had it before but it's delicious despite being a fairly simple salsa. Has garlic/cilantro and it's dicey restaurant style so none of those tomato chunks like Tostitos. Though, they only had medium and it's more of a mild to me. Still a really good flavor.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

canyoneer posted:

I can't buy these anymore since I have a distinct lack of self control around sweets. Both are very amazing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, one other standout from my grocery trip: Mateo's salsa. Never had it before but it's delicious despite being a fairly simple salsa. Has garlic/cilantro and it's dicey restaurant style so none of those tomato chunks like Tostitos. Though, they only had medium and it's more of a mild to me. Still a really good flavor.

we always have a jar of Mateo's in the house. you can get other varieties including a habanero one at other stores, but of course it's more expensive for a smaller container. when we want it hotter we just mix in a few drops of a super hot sauce

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The return of the butter loaf is real, but it's now $15.

This poo poo's gonna give me the 'beetus. :btroll:

can confirm, cinnamon loaf is back. i am now full as hell, and only regret it a little bit.

normally i get a churro with my 'dog, so this time i skipped it and just had half a loaf instead :shepface:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I would say the only problem I have with Mateo's is that it's a bit too watery. Otherwise a great salsa.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raluek posted:

can confirm, cinnamon loaf is back. i am now full as hell, and only regret it a little bit.

Also confirming, picked up some today and boy! What a delicious mistake!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Fontaine posted:

Wet rear end meat make that searing game weak

:hmmyes:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/breyyyattt/status/1615757374538797060?s=20

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

https://twitter.com/jodybat/status/1615780964323721217?s=20&t=D9phrypbEOiMOvQRZVr1Wg

Who's calling me out like this?

Edit: Also I'm surprised to see Brett on here. My favorite podcast producer!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Costco finally had eggs again yesterday. The nightmare is over.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Costco finally had eggs again yesterday. The nightmare is over.

congrats, friend

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
PBUC, brothers and sisters

I’m thinking of taking the next step and upgrading to the executive membership this year. All I know is it’s an extra $60 a year and gives you an extra 2% cash back on all Costco purchases on top of the 2% I get from my Costco Visa

But I have questions -

I think my membership renews in June. If I upgrade now, do they prorate me for half a year? Or do I just get two renewal dates, one for membership and one for executive?

Also, I remember hearing that if you don’t spend enough in a given year to make the executive membership worth it, they’ll refund the difference. Is that still in effect? Is that official policy? Or just a YMMV thing that sometimes a nice CSR will do for you?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When I got the upgrade the other day they told me you could still get the refund, yeah.

I think the two membership dates are separate.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
You can't tithe $3000/yr?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Executive membership questions

If you upgrade now you'll be charged a prorated amount, I'm guessing for you it'll be somewhere around $20-25 if your renewal date is in June. The 2% from the executive membership is separate from the 2% on the Visa card. The Visa rebate is sent to you with your February statement and the executive rebate is sent to you around 6-8 weeks before your membership expires, so probably mid to late April in your case.

Let's say you upgrade now, the executive 2% back will take effect immediately. When you get your 2% rebate check, don't be disappointed if it's a small amount because you only had a few months to build it up. For an entire year as an executive member you'll need to spend $3000 for the executive part of the membership to pay for itself (and you don't get 2% back on any money spent on gas).

If you don't get the full $60 back from your purchases, Costco will refund you the difference. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think they'll do it and let you keep the executive membership. So if you you only get $40 back and and want the full $60, they'll do it, but they will also downgrade your membership back to the basic one (no one will stop you from immediately upgrading again though if you want to). You also need to go to someone at the membership desk to get it done, they won't just do it for you automatically.

There are also other perks to the executive membership besides the 2%. There's a bunch of services that most people wouldn't even think to go through Costco for, like pet insurance, identity protection, or ordering personal/business checks.

https://www.costco.com/services

Costco barely makes any money on the merchandise they sell, but the membership fees are 100% profit for them. That's why they're so generous with their return policy, they'll do just about anything to keep you from canceling your membership. And if they can get you to pay them more money for your membership, that's icing on the cake for them.

This post ended up being way longer than I thought it would be, so I hope I answered all your questions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You don’t need the Executive membership for the pet insurance discount.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

You don’t need the Executive membership for the pet insurance discount.

I did notice that the way the website advertises their services seem to indicate that you might not need to be an executive member. I was told that you did need to be an executive member for that and other things, but that was years ago so it's entirely possible that they changed it up since then. I should have put in my post that I am not a Costco membership expert.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The pro move is to get the citi Costco card. It gives another 2% back on most Costco stuff and you'll get 4% on gas. I actually get a bigger refund from my credit card rewards than my Costco rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ineffiable posted:

The pro move is to get the citi Costco card. It gives another 2% back on most Costco stuff and you'll get 4% on gas. I actually get a bigger refund from my credit card rewards than my Costco rewards.

I use that card for all my gas & restaurant purchases, but there’s some min-max hack about using different cards at CostCo. I mean, I don’t bother and just use the Citi, but there’s a Wirecutter article about it.

I think the point of the article is that branded cards often don’t give you max rewards for that brand, since you’re already a fan and don’t need a massive incentive to buy their stuff.