Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FCKGW posted:

You can pretty much talk conversationally to most smart speakers now. I think most people and hung up on thinking of the right phrase to say when you can usually just say what you would normally to a person.

“Hey siri can you let everyone else know that the food is here?” would work just fine.

Yeah, easy to say when you rehearse any line before you say it. I'll be sitting in a car and it's not like "Hey Siri, directions to 123 Butt Lane", it'll be more like "Hey Siri, directions to uuuuuhhhhh wait a sec, what was Dave's address again, I think it was 123 something. OK never mind, hey siri, no wait, delete—never mind" *waits for it to time out so I can try again*

I'd be like "Hey Siri, play some—actually no, ok wait I have a dance music playlist. Hey siri play dance music playlist I forget what it was called, but play it on the other HomePod, the one that's downstairs, I think it's called Gym because I had it in the garage and there was a treadmill in there and god dammit never mind I'll just do it myself"

I dare any natural-speech dev to figure out a way around me

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, easy to say when you rehearse any line before you say it. I'll be sitting in a car and it's not like "Hey Siri, directions to 123 Butt Lane", it'll be more like "Hey Siri, directions to uuuuuhhhhh wait a sec, what was Dave's address again, I think it was 123 something. OK never mind, hey siri, no wait, delete—never mind" *waits for it to time out so I can try again*

I'd be like "Hey Siri, play some—actually no, ok wait I have a dance music playlist. Hey siri play dance music playlist I forget what it was called, but play it on the other HomePod, the one that's downstairs, I think it's called Gym because I had it in the garage and there was a treadmill in there and god dammit never mind I'll just do it myself"

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hey Siri...

Turn off all the lights (every single night)
Turn on the lava lamps (smart plugs)
Set an alarm for 5:30 pm
Set a timer for 10 minutes
What song is this?
Set a reminder for next friday at 3 pm to get a haircut
Take me home
Take me to work
Next song (in shower)
Volume up (in shower)

I'll also use Dictation an obscene number of times to spell words I know I'll butcher trying to spell :laugh:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 18, 2023

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

You can increase Siri's pause time in Settings > Accessibility > Siri. That will help with the "uhhhhhh" part at least.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

I don’t know why you’re being so strange over the advice you were given lol. So much of a smartphone beyond the app installs lives on the cloud it’s really not as extreme a solution as you’re imagining. Even your anpp configuration annd home screens are backed up. It would probably fix all your issues. It’s a little annoying to do, but it sounds like the issues you’re encountering are more annoying. People are trying to be helpful in earnest.

Do you know how long and error prone restoring Signal messages is? I haven’t had great luck setting up my restore when I got the phone, either; it failed at least once and I had to redo. I don’t have any reason to think it would fix this widespread problem that others reported flattening does not fix.

What has seemed to help has been enabling “Show Content in Search” and “Learn From This App” on every single app I have. It doesn’t make a ton of sense but I assume this forces re-indexing. Now it takes 4-6 seconds to find app via spotlight (the main way I launch apps) instead of 10, so there’s a bit of improvement. Sucks about the information overload though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should try launching apps from the Home Screen like a normal person.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American McGay posted:

No, that’s not how I use my phone, and nobody here is normal. PS, Siri Suggestions works pretty well when it works.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

that homepod commercial triggered siri on my iphone. who does apple think it is, burger king?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have one home screen with my most-used apps, and everything else I find via Siri Search. I agree Siri Suggestions are usually pretty good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I have one home screen with my most-used apps, and everything else I find via Siri Search. I agree Siri Suggestions are usually pretty good.
Check this out: they added more home screens

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American McGay posted:

If I wanted incomprehensible icons that are too narrow to even show the name of the app I assume i would use android (not that I’d know)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

If I wanted incomprehensible icons that are too narrow to even show the name of the app I assume i would use android (not that I’d know)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Searching for an app is totally normal. Windows, MacOS both work great that way. I can't tell you the last time I've gone through start menu on my Windows box, Applications folder on my MacOS computer. Same for iOS. I do have my apps organized but I always just search for them as it's faster for finding a lot of apps.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Actually it’s easier to just remember where it is and tap on it. How many apps you using daily my dude?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is what peak performance looks like.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

American McGay posted:

That's a lot of unread emails :eyepop:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You’re literally being ableist right now, you jerk.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Pizza and McDonald’s apps getting prime Home Screen placement next to the health apps ftw

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skeezy posted:

Pizza and McDonald’s apps getting prime Home Screen placement next to the health apps ftw

McDonalds is the most nutritious restaurant in my podunk town

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Lol I've done everything from iOS spotlight search for going on a decade now. It's just one swipe away on the lockscreen - far faster than hunting for something on the Home Screen like an old person.

I will say - Android was right, home screens should be for displaying useful information, not just a bunch of squaes to load other apps. I want to be able to easily see and access important information without having to jump around on my phone.

edit: Marcos Pizza and McDonald app on their home screen. Enough said.
edit2: You can just swipe down to search for contacts

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 18, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Does it really not have Ethernet?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

American McGay posted:

If your email notification number isn’t so high that the badge goes the entire width of the icon then you’re not trying hard enough

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’m going to use this discussion as an excuse to mourn Palm Web OS and how many features it innovated ahead of everyone.

Great ideas from Palm WebOS:
-Universal search
-Swipe gestures
-Card app multi tasking
-group messaging (messages did text, AIM, GTalk, all in one)
-magnetic wireless charging
-app sharing between devices

Things Palm WebOS did not do so well:
-Make a reliable phone
-make a big screen phone
-have good advertising
-Exclusive first deal with Sprint
-small tiny keyboards (they were IMO good but too small for most people)

Rip WebOS.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WebOS was awesome I agree. The Palm Pre was cool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Why would it need Ethernet? It plays music.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Skeezy posted:

The Taco Bell app is insane. You can get a cheesy gordita crunch, beefy 5 layer burrito, nachos and a baja blast for 5 bucks using it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rolo posted:

The Taco Bell app is insane. You can get a cheesy gordita crunch, beefy 5 layer burrito, nachos and a baja blast for 5 bucks using it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FCKGW posted:

Why would it need Ethernet? It plays music.

The latency of the syncopated warmth provided by the notes though!! Soundstages!!! Linear uncompressed digital clarity!

* Insert more bullshit audiophile nonsense here *

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have no clue how to work the shortcuts app, but is there a way to toggle wifi back on when I get home?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Should work with a geofence.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-set-iphone-wi-fi-to-automatically-turn-when-you-leave-home

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

That’s exactly what I needed and much easier than I though! Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I’m not sure how to tell you this but Ethernet is not long for this world in the consumer space.

Everyone is moving to this new wifi thing.

I’m not sure it’s gonna catch on though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

Only way to get the Quesarito nowadays too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like I am not alone in thinking the weather app is loving busted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/xqsztf/has_anyone_else_noticed_that_on_ios_16_the/

Yesterday it was snowing like crazy on the way home and it just said cloudy. What is this poo poo?? I like to plan things around stuff like that. Or at least know.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/xqsztf/has_anyone_else_noticed_that_on_ios_16_the/

Yesterday it was snowing like crazy on the way home and it just said cloudy. What is this poo poo?? I like to plan things around stuff like that. Or at least know.

Personally speaking I prefer Weather Network; it's always accurate with precipitation, and more importantly: shows the current humidex/windchill temperature instead of the low.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My fav weather app is Weather Channel and it has been for many years. It’s owned by organizations that have a proven history in the area (including IBM) and it always works well with no hiccups.

All weather apps use NOAA NWS data anyway for their own observation and prediction algorithms, so in a pinch you can go to weather.gov and get excellent alternative info.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

It really depends on your location. Are you even in the USA?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Well the ultimate blame can still be on Apple but who knows what “sorry” equipment they are using up north to forecast weather. US companies are 100% dependent on NOAA equipment and if the federal government stopped funding NOAA a lot of the weather app companies would fold.

The annual budget for NOAA is ~$7 billion so you can see how government funding and equipment really benefits small guys using their data.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 20, 2023