Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's interesting that they talk about 3H's animations being more subdued because they were held back by the battalion system.

Battalions really are the worst!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think I will go with Alear

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Andrast posted:

I think I will go with Alear

Reala

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have to sit through story and run around a large boring map with this one to talk to people or is it back to the 3ds era where things were streamlined

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

worms butthole guy posted:

Do you have to sit through story and run around a large boring map with this one to talk to people or is it back to the 3ds era where things were streamlined

Terper posted:

FAQ

Is there any base like in Three Houses in this game? It got kinda annoying near the end and for repeat playthroughs...
There is a base, Somniel, in which you can buy items and forge weapons and all that, and it also houses minigames and other fun activities. However, it is not nearly as necessary for character progression as the Monastery was in Three Houses. Think of it as a slightly expanded version of your base in Fire Emblem Fates instead, with opportunities to gain extra materials and temporary stat bonuses. There's also no calendar system, and you walk around on the world map, like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
oh sweet jesus thank you nintendo

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Seems the day-one DLC dumps you a lot of stat boost items and a silver card.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah that was mentioned way back at the announcement. The silver card at least for sure:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

Most characters only have 3 or 4 reclass options by default, but you don't have to go that far out of the way to get additional proficiencies if you choose to do so. By the time you get access to your first Second Seal, you have Emblems that will give you every proficiency except Martial Arts, and you can just spend some Bond Fragments to immediately level up Emblems to the appropriate level you need. It's a pretty cheap amount of fragments, too. That said, only promoted classes give skills and you only have 3 slots between both class skills and inherited Emblem skills, so the main reason for reclassing is because you want to play the character as that class (and maybe lategame because it resets your level, I'm not sure what level you are expected of your units by the end of the game.)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh man Pikazo was super involved. They planned on doing 2D portraits until she came over and helped out

quote:

Nakanishi: Well, yes... During development, we had some struggles improving the quality, and there were times when we had opinions like, “If it’s at this level, maybe 2D illustrations should be used together.”

Higuchi: For just the main characters alone, there must have been at least six revisions. Eventually, we had Mika Pikazo-san come over to the development offices in Kyoto to review them in detail.

Tei: She would add comments directly on the spot, and we would compare the 2D drawings to point out the differences. Then we would reflect that feedback right away...and repeat this over and over again.

I'm said we missed out on 2D potraits of the art though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Vlucius_/status/1615405846128693258

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of which I only have one sleep left until I can play Engage :)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kanos posted:

It's interesting that they talk about 3H's animations being more subdued because they were held back by the battalion system.

I like battalions as an aesthetic / worldbuilding concept (it's a little bit weird that the FE armies consist of like 40 guys and gals) but the mechanical implementation has been so bad lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

That said, only promoted classes give skills and you only have 3 slots between both class skills and inherited Emblem skills, so the main reason for reclassing is because you want to play the character as that class (and maybe lategame because it resets your level, I'm not sure what level you are expected of your units by the end of the game.)

Perfect, that's exactly what I hoped reclassing would be like.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I like battalions as an aesthetic / worldbuilding concept (it's a little bit weird that the FE armies consist of like 40 guys and gals) but the mechanical implementation has been so bad lol.

they were so jank lol, especially the animations

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It was neat when Echoes would suddenly have cutscenes showing Alm has an entire army of people behind him while challenging Berkut

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually downloaded the dumb gacha game and got Alear in it, now how do I get the bonus items on friday for engage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FrickenMoron posted:

I actually downloaded the dumb gacha game and got Alear in it, now how do I get the bonus items on friday for engage.

You link the gacha game to your my nintendo account and when you boot up Engage it should realise that you have said gacha game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No, from the news you have to link the account inside FEH, then go to rewards on the Nintendo Account website, redeem it for a code, and use the code on the E-Shop to get the bonuses.

I wonder how faithful to FEH will they be. Like Folkvangr just has Att/Res when HP is not full and extra Triangle advantage, but Fensalir nulls bonuses and Noatun lets you Warp to allies.

Sharena's ring better have an ally buffing skill though, let her make friends in other games IS.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yknow, I kind of like how there's a bunch of variety as to what dark dragons look like in the series. Medeus and Idunn were western dragons, but Duma was this... rotting... thing..., Loptous was a snake thing (though maybe it just had a long rear end neck and you couldn't see the body?), Grima was a fuckoff huge dragon with feathered wings and a bunch of extra eyes, Anankos was... whatever the gently caress Anankos was that looked weird as hell, and the dark dragon here in Engage seems to be a cobra

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Barreft posted:

oh my gerd I miss 3 Hopes. I hate being called by a title and not a name, and it's been at least 20 times these 2 hours alone lol

gameplay rules though

Shephard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

worms butthole guy posted:

the somniel is a home base but its much closer to the fates base than the monastery, and you can do most of it from a menu. the only things you really have to spend time in the base doing are the arena, supports/bond convos. even when im trying to waste time i can rarely spend more than 10-15 minutes in base between maps.

story cutscenes are a lot shorter than 3 houses, as are supports.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone's uploading some of the attract mode clips that show off class animations, and the Swordmaster crit animation at the start of this one is rad as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJj-rd8ENg

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

What time does this actually come out on Friday assuming you have a pre-loaded digital version of the game? I feel like Nintendo usually has some set time they release stuff, but I can't remember off hand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its cool how your character copies quotes from the character theyre engaged with, when you're actively engaged. like if youre engaged with lucina your crit quote is 'i challenge my fate.' and this is true for every character. so thats cool.

however, the victory quote for when you're engaged with sigurd is 'if this love is a crime...' and i lol every time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inu posted:

What time does this actually come out on Friday assuming you have a pre-loaded digital version of the game? I feel like Nintendo usually has some set time they release stuff, but I can't remember off hand.
i think it unlocks at midnight

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inu posted:

Midnight your time

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Harrow posted:

Someone's uploading some of the attract mode clips that show off class animations, and the Swordmaster crit animation at the start of this one is rad as hell

Warrior has something similar to the old GBA Berserker crit :allears:

edit: actually more like the Hero

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 18, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got 50 Nintendo bucks for Christmas so I preordered this game with the DLC so I can Engage! with my bff Edelgard. I’ve been playing 3 Hopes and enjoying it. Yeah it’s a Musou but whatever. I liked 3 Houses, I did Edelgard & Claude’s routes. Dimitri sucks so I skipped him and lol if you think I was going to do Church route. I wish they could have actually finished that game instead of Edelgard’s route being half finished and Claude’s route being almost identical to the Church route for some reason. The Ashen Wolves DLC episode was good, they are cool characters. I like to use them in 3 Hopes.

I have played most of the FE games since FE7 was released in English on GBA. I like the dumb anime bullshit but I find that normal tends to be really easy but hard is too frustrating for me. The Sacred Stones introduced grinding and it made that game super easy. I did Awakening on Normal and it was braindead easy. Same with Birthright on Normal. Conquest on Hard was too frustrating and I gave up. I never played Revelations, couldn’t have been that important. I loved Path of Radiance but didn’t like Radiant Dawn very much. I am looking forward to playing Engage because it looks very stupid but extremely fun!!! I played through Shining Force 1 & 2 last year, also Triangle Strategy. I need a SRPG fix, clearly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wrex.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D6mdrSYBr0

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 18, 2023

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/teacher_sbm/status/1615731813120634882

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cute.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

Those generics all look pretty awesome aside from the weird neck ring hero has. I really want to see General now.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eimi posted:

Those generics all look pretty awesome aside from the weird neck ring hero has. I really want to see General now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_TsIspYPGM

Here you go

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Battle animations are sooo much better than in 3H. 12 hours in and probably at least 90% of my time has been battles. A+ game

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That's about a .8 of GBA, so that's pretty high on the scale. I can absolutely vibe with that. Nothing can ever touch that crit though.

Oh...shame about paladin though, that's a definite miss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its funny how almost all of the class outfits are pretty close to the gba era for the most part, and then there's sage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wolf Knights look baller as hell