Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The T700 was a joy on my demo runs, and the engine sold me on potentially upgrading to an XSR700 down the line. There's no telling if the Honda will actually be fun to ride, or if it even comes out in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Honda will absolutely bring their brand new bike that occupies the fastest selling category with their brand new engine to the US.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Well y'all swayed me, put down a deposit for the new T700 :toot: a good bike I can have now(-ish) is probably better than a potentially good bike I could potentially own sometime in the potential future

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
A dealership nearby has a couple of used 2022 Triumphs, a Street Twin with 1500 miles and a Street Scrambler with like 200. I am hoping I can go test ride them this weekend. Since I don't really plan on riding off road is there any reason to favor the Scrambler over the Street Twin?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nope, the only difference aside from cosmetic bullshit is the tyre sizes, which are needlessly dumb.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scrambler looks cooler.

Both pretty piggy.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Slavvy posted:

Nope, the only difference aside from cosmetic bullshit is the tyre sizes, which are needlessly dumb.

ok, I figured they were very similar

Russian Bear posted:

Scrambler looks cooler.

Both pretty piggy.

Yea the scrambler does look great but it is the piggier of the two and gets worse gas mileage, at least according to Triumph's website. I'll have to see what I think on Saturday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gas mileage on a motorcycle is meaningless

if you're riding it correctly you won't get anywhere near the official fuel consumption and it doesn't matter either way because fuel is the cheapest part of bike ownership

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

Well y'all swayed me, put down a deposit for the new T700 :toot: a good bike I can have now(-ish) is probably better than a potentially good bike I could potentially own sometime in the potential future

buy a tuareg 660 when riding season comes along and the t7 hasn't appeared.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

gas mileage on a motorcycle is meaningless

if you're riding it correctly you won't get anywhere near the official fuel consumption and it doesn't matter either way because fuel is the cheapest part of bike ownership

There's no "incorrect/correct" way to ride a motorcycle outside of crashing it. In fact if fuel costs are the cheapest part of motorcycling, I would posit that if there is an incorrect way, that's it, ie not riding nearly enough*. I agree that fuel economy is a nice to have rather than a need to have though. It's nice to know you can eke out 300+km on a tank and see sub 5l/100km consumption during transit stages. I wouldn't buy a bike specifically because of that though.

*assuming a very conservative 10000km/year riding, a fuel efficient bike getting an average of 5l/100km is going to cost something like $1000/year in fuel, assuming an average of $2/l for premium unleaded. Add another $600-1000/year for something getting 3-5l/100km worse fuel consumption. What else are you spending $1000-2000/y on that makes that figure the cheapest part of motorcycling, assuming you aren't racing?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Servicing, gear.

Really, if fuel cost is a concern, ride a bus or a bicycle, not a motorcycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can get good gas mileage if you stick to like 300cc and under, past that it's always mediocre to bad.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Fuel economy is only meaningful on the freeway, where bikes won’t do so well because of poor aero. US cars get pretty poor gas mileage generally speaking, maybe 30mpg (7.8l/100km) for non hybrids and only ~50mpg (4.7l/100km) for hybrids. Even an R1 is going to get 30mpg.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

CongoJack posted:

A dealership nearby has a couple of used 2022 Triumphs, a Street Twin with 1500 miles and a Street Scrambler with like 200. I am hoping I can go test ride them this weekend. Since I don't really plan on riding off road is there any reason to favor the Scrambler over the Street Twin?

Scrambler looks cooler. Also it might have a 0.22% more off road ability or at least, it'll trick you into trying babbys first dirt road. Go with the Scrambler.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I disagree, I've found a small bike will get excellent economy in every situation. At one point I was commuting across the city on a Hyosung 250 and even with predominantly urban lane splitting during rush hour I was getting about 4L/100km regardless of how fast or slow I rode.

With big bikes I've found the economy gets drastically worse as you go faster, my zrx was able to empty it's tank in about 130km if I was going full dong.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Fuel mileage CAN be good, my 750cc commuter gets somewhere between 60 and 70mpg, depending on how much freeway I'm doing, but you forego one of the big selling points of motorcycles: The possibility of Big acceleration/Big Speed. The idea that you're riding a machine that could rip to 200 in seconds, and the responsiveness that comes at lower speeds, is a feeling that sells bikes, so that's what the manufacturers make.

Heck even then, 30+MPG from a CBR 1000 RR is roughly double what equivalent cars get.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 23, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

With big bikes I've found the economy gets drastically worse as you go faster, my zrx was able to empty it's tank in about 130km if I was going full dong.

Yeah that tracks. Don't know if I've ever really taken it full dong, but it does start gulping gas if I'm caning it on the highway instead of tootling along at 110 in 5th. Of course, it's a big older motor in a big heavy bike with all the aerodynamic qualities of a Home Depot, and I'm not exactly Slipstream McGoo on the seat either

There are times I miss the Weestrom's gas tank, to say nothing of the KLR. But not that often.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BabelFish posted:

Fuel mileage CAN be good, my 750cc commuter gets somewhere between 60 and 70mpg.

Yes, the Prius of motorcycles is good on fuel, who'd have thought!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

P-twin DCT. Wow. I guess at least it isn't a CVT?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My car is a hybrid and gets better fuel economy than either of my motorcycles. I'm doing something wrong I guess

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Yes, the Prius of motorcycles is good on fuel, who'd have thought!

I might be the most boring man using two wheels to go down the freeway, but I’m having infinitely more fun than driving an actual Prius! Buy bike(s) that make you ride them as often as you can, a day spent on two wheels instead of four is a day well spent. (I realize this is a very American viewpoint, I’m sure I would feel different if we had functioning bike or transit infrastructure.)

My bigger point is that, explicitly for gas mileage, people tend to compare a 1000cc supersport to a Corolla, when they really should be looking at a V8 sports car at minimum. Cars built for an equivalent use case get nowhere near 30mpg.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyro posted:

My car is a hybrid and gets better fuel economy than either of my motorcycles. I'm doing something wrong I guess

Yeah you're driving the car

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah the temp is in the 20's F when I leave for work this time of year, it's unfortunately a necessity

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

I disagree, I've found a small bike will get excellent economy in every situation. At one point I was commuting across the city on a Hyosung 250 and even with predominantly urban lane splitting during rush hour I was getting about 4L/100km regardless of how fast or slow I rode.

No matter how badly I flog the Monkey, fuel economy will not drop below 95 mpg / 2.5L/100km.
The Vstrom is similarly insensitive to how I ride it - 42 mpg / 5.6L/100km

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

:shrug:

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to my bike's fuel economy (286cc), but what I've noticed from the few more long-distance freeway-dominated trips is at 100km/h I'll get 3.6-3.3l/km, while at 130km/h it drops down to 5.8l/km. At track I'll do around 160km, and I have to fill up at least twice, which would put it (very roughly) at 12l/100km.

This is kind of more what I was thinking though.

BabelFish posted:

Heck even then, 30+MPG from a CBR 1000 RR is roughly double what equivalent cars get.

In the context of what Americans think is good gas milage (the one true context, obviously), pretty much all bikes get good gas milage. My 150hp hatchback only gets like 18l/100km in the city, and at best 7l/100km on the freeway.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Finger Prince posted:

*assuming a very conservative 10000km/year riding

Goodness. I put 6000 miles on my bike over the past 2 years, which was more than the PO did in eight years, and I thought I was tearing it up.

My bike gets 60-70 mpg and I'm honestly kinda annoyed it's not higher. I'll start paying attention to fuel prices when I spend more on gas than coffee.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to my bike's fuel economy (286cc), but what I've noticed from the few more long-distance freeway-dominated trips is at 100km/h I'll get 3.6-3.3l/km, while at 130km/h it drops down to 5.8l/km. At track I'll do around 160km, and I have to fill up at least twice, which would put it (very roughly) at 12l/100km.

This is kind of more what I was thinking though.

In the context of what Americans think is good gas milage (the one true context, obviously), pretty much all bikes get good gas milage. My 150hp hatchback only gets like 18l/100km in the city, and at best 7l/100km on the freeway.

I mean yeah when you're WOT pretty much the whole time the fuel economy will be rubbish unless you're on something really tiny. 130kmh is around when the aerodynamics really start to work against small bikes, but that kind of consumption is still crazy good compared to basically anything other than a Prius or small diesel, and even those sorts of cars definitely would not have similar economy at 130.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If I don't have to go on the highway at eat wind at 80mph, my MT03 will get 60mpg in town/fun roads no matter how much I ride like a dong.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Normal commuting on my 1290 Super Duke gets 45-47 mpg pretty consistently. Best I've seen on a tank is 55 mpg, but that was mostly riding fairly slow in a group. Once you start to really have fun with it, it'll drop to around 35 mpg. I haven't taken it to a track, but I'm sure it'd drop a bit more.

My CRF 450RL is similar, gets about 50 mpg on the street. Mixed street/off road usually gets around 45 mpg, but obviously that depends on the type of trails and street/trail ratio.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T Zero posted:

Goodness. I put 6000 miles on my bike over the past 2 years, which was more than the PO did in eight years, and I thought I was tearing it up.

My bike gets 60-70 mpg and I'm honestly kinda annoyed it's not higher. I'll start paying attention to fuel prices when I spend more on gas than coffee.

Again, no wrong way to do it. I've certainty had several years where I've only done a few thousand kms. Climate plays a big role as well. Whether you're commuting sensibly, carving canyons, crossing continents, or whatever, as long as you're riding you're doing it right.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I wanna get more data points, but at a steady 100km/h my old SV does 5,2l/100km. At 130km/h with headwind 6l/100km, and at 190ish km/h (WOT and almost-WOT) for a long stretch of autobahn 10l/100km.
The only time i got it below 5l/100km was right when i bought it, still slightly anxious and driving pretty gingerly.

At least it doesn't consume more fuel than a 75hp car but it does surprise people that it's not in the 4l/100km range.

Toe Rag posted:

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to my bike's fuel economy (286cc), but what I've noticed from the few more long-distance freeway-dominated trips is at 100km/h I'll get 3.6-3.3l/km, while at 130km/h it drops down to 5.8l/km.

This is kinda interesting. Highway fuel consumption is pretty similar, but off-highway the difference is pretty radical. Intuitively it makes sense, but engineering wise - is it because engines just have poo poo fuel economy when you barely load them?
Puttering along with traffic the SV is not doing much, while i can imagine that a 300cc bike needs to actually work a bit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Large throttle openings mean less pumping losses from pulling air past the partially closed butterfly, so small engines running at a big throttle opening have an efficiency edge in that sense. But there are loads of variables. The nc700 mentioned earlier is a good example as it has comparatively tiny throttlebodies, skinny intake ports, a cam profile tuned toward low rpm efficiency - all of these mean the intake air flows very quickly when volume is low, so at low rpm. This means the cylinder fills very quickly and efficiently when the reciprocating parts are moving slowly.

When rpm increases you're trying to move a bigger volume of air and things start to bottleneck, the cylinder can't fill as efficiently so torque and thus power and thus efficiency drops off.

Anything remotely sporty will have some degree of compromise in the name of outright horsepower which you get by spinning the engine fast and making torque at that rpm. This means big TB's, wide intake ports, high overlap cam etc - all work together to fill the cylinder as efficiently as possible in a very limited time frame. When the engine is spinning slowly and the volume of incoming air is reduced, flow becomes sluggish and cylinder filling is less efficient. So peaky powerful engines have worse efficiency at low rpm than luggers and vice versa. A 300 is effectively a very peaky engine that never needs to lug, your sv is a compromise between the two so it doesn't make power like a supersport but it also doesn't lug like an nc700.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

well full dong is how we all ride :v: god knows I get 35-40 with the valk, unless I want to race up the express way and let her rip

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The absolute worst bike for gas mileage swings for me was the Bandit 1200. If you rode sedately, you'd get 120-ish miles per tank.

If you rode it like it was a Bandit 1200 and you were trying to reverse the earths rotation, then 80 miles per tank.

Most of my other bikes are pretty even keeled in this regard, even the goldwing, which is like 4 tons of bike and has an engine bigger than a lot of cars

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My scooters have all gotten the same ridiculous gas mileage, no matter what I do.

My Harley Roadster definitely swings between 37-45 mpg or so (advertised 48), but that’s mostly based on whether I’m sitting and idling a lot. Stoplight to stoplight has a way bigger impact than whether I’m trying to give it the beans, but I have definitely seen my gas mileage get a little worse as I get a little more confident and explore more of the rev range.

I mostly ride pretty slow, though (both because I’m still pretty new to this and also because I am more of a leisurely stroll sort of person).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The absolute worst bike for gas mileage swings for me was the Bandit 1200. If you rode sedately, you'd get 120-ish miles per tank.

If you rode it like it was a Bandit 1200 and you were trying to reverse the earths rotation, then 80 miles per tank.

Most of my other bikes are pretty even keeled in this regard, even the goldwing, which is like 4 tons of bike and has an engine bigger than a lot of cars

80 miles is about 130km so the Bandit 12 continues to be a match on paper to the Rex.

Hey Slavvy, when you said you'd burn through a tank in 130, did you mean from full to reserve or from full to walking? I only ever seem to be able to put about 15L into mine (capacity's, what, 20?) but I've never run the thing completely dry. Except for when I drained off that poo poo gas this summer.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fat Bob does 49.76 miles per Imperial Gallon. 10.95 miles per litre.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

80 miles is about 130km so the Bandit 12 continues to be a match on paper to the Rex.

Hey Slavvy, when you said you'd burn through a tank in 130, did you mean from full to reserve or from full to walking? I only ever seem to be able to put about 15L into mine (capacity's, what, 20?) but I've never run the thing completely dry. Except for when I drained off that poo poo gas this summer.

I honestly can't remember, my lovely memory tells me I had a fuel gauge and always had the tap on reserve

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gotcha. Yeah it's got a gauge, on mine Empty is about 10 km or so before the main pickup runs dry. Then there's res. If you could get every last drop of gas out it'd be like another third of a tank, I guess, but it's best used to hustle to the next gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My Monkey has a 1.5 gal tank. The fuel warning light comes on at 0.5 gal left