Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

NieR Occomata posted:

Yes, Mazin and Druckmann confirmed it on the companion podcast. According to them, it was too dry of an opening and made the show seem like a biology class. I can see their point; the first scene of the show being an intoned voiceover over what they did (which I loving loved) would give the impression that the show is more explanatory and pseudo-educational than it actually is.

that does make sense. we don't really need to know how the virus works biologically in the last of us. the intro with the talk show let's us know how it happened in a scientific enough way to suspend disbelief and accept that what's basically a zombie virus has ruined the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know who that is?

It’s the new center-left talk show everyone is going on about.

Danger fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 18, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gresh posted:

Solid if unspectacular premiere episode. I haven't played the game that everyone constantly strokes their meat over so I don't really understand what everybody loves so much about this story/world so far which to me feels a lot like any other zombie apocalypse. I suppose that could change with more episodes.

The only real issue I have with the show after 1 episode is Bella Ramsey who I think is miscast. Please don't be an annoying dipshit kid all season. Pretty please.

It's mature, gritty, and deep...Basically imagine every shorthand method of saying it's a game that finally got "Hollywood Senpai" to notice and acknowledge Vidya GaRmes could tell good stories and be considered art(because neither of these were possible or even things before this game apparently).

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
TLOU is a perfectly fine 7/10 game cosplaying as a 10/10 game. The show is a near-perfect replica of that so far, for better or worse.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I feel stupid I never made the Children of Men connection.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

TLOU is a perfectly fine 7/10 game cosplaying as a 10/10 game. The show is a near-perfect replica of that so far, for better or worse.

I would agree gameplay wise 7/10, but story wise it was a 10/10 game for me. I would say the same thing about the later Uncharted games (combat didn't evolve that much), but it did have 10/10 set pieces.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

precision posted:

Doubtful, anyone who gets bitten would just be killed, why take the chance?

You do it yourself. if you're lucky, the infection won't spread.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

this convo reminds me that i'm still kind of confused about the infection rules, and i can't remember if they more fully explain in the game and maybe it's coming in the show.

so we see wheelchair gramma start twitching all weird and that's the first sign she's infected. how did she get infected? was it spores? i think i remember from some nature doc that cordyceps kinda spurt into the air to spread their spores but i could be wrong on that and not sure if that is how the zombies canonically work here. cause if so, sara's question about how they knew they weren't sick is a really good one, and also it suggest that the survivors have some level of natural immune resistance to spores. or maybe only if they are airborne instead of directly injected into your body?

i know it actually doesn't matter and i'm happy to suspend disbelief but i was more curious if this is actually logiced out in-universe.

also, people being mean to bella ramsey based on her looks bums me the gently caress out. i hope all of those assholes end up pasted to a wall somewhere by fungus.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently the main vector for cordycep infection is real life is ants going to the top of leaves and getting eaten by birds and stuff. I don't know what that means for the show I just thought it was neat.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Apparently the main vector for cordycep infection is real life is ants going to the top of leaves and getting eaten by birds and stuff. I don't know what that means for the show I just thought it was neat.

yea but how does it get in the ants in the first place? :ohdear:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

matureaudiencesonly posted:

this convo reminds me that i'm still kind of confused about the infection rules, and i can't remember if they more fully explain in the game and maybe it's coming in the show.

so we see wheelchair gramma start twitching all weird and that's the first sign she's infected. how did she get infected? was it spores? i think i remember from some nature doc that cordyceps kinda spurt into the air to spread their spores but i could be wrong on that and not sure if that is how the zombies canonically work here. cause if so, sara's question about how they knew they weren't sick is a really good one, and also it suggest that the survivors have some level of natural immune resistance to spores. or maybe only if they are airborne instead of directly injected into your body?

i know it actually doesn't matter and i'm happy to suspend disbelief but i was more curious if this is actually logiced out in-universe.

also, people being mean to bella ramsey based on her looks bums me the gently caress out. i hope all of those assholes end up pasted to a wall somewhere by fungus.

Someone earlier in the thread (or was it the spoiler thread?) mentioned a theory that people initially got infected via tainted flour which is why anyone who ate the biscuits/ cookies got sick but it isn’t proven.

For what it’s worth in the game there is a newspaper article saying it was infected crops from South America

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

the exact logic and science behind the pandemic are pretty confusing at this point in the show, but it appears to be by design

the show wants its audience to be where your head is at are right now basically

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could have acted more ethically in that situation tbh.

Probably would be a good thing to not make civilians burn their corpses in the street.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The implication from the work assignment queue Joel's in is that there are different daily jobs up for grabs and they pay at different levels. And as for the burning, I sure as gently caress wouldn't be just burying corpses with the deadly contagious zombie fungus in them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think this is one of the areas where the show is gonna diverge from the game and flesh things out a lot more, the backstory on how the infection works and how it spread initially.

We know that infection can spread via bites, that's established from the scene with the boy.

Speculating a bit, I'm gonna say that the biscuits and baking being shown is telegraphing to us how the infection spread initially. Fungus infecting grain is a real thing, that's what ergot does.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, Druckmann recently said in a few interviews that Children of Men was the initial inspiration for TLOU. It was a bit vindicating because in the past I was always told I was reading too much into the similarities when I pointed them out to people. There really are a lot of parallels with plot, characters, set pieces, and themes though. It’s largely the ending and nature of the pandemic that are different.

I was going to say that The Girl with All the Gifts had to have been an influence on the game, but the book came out the year after the game, so they must have been written/developed at the same time. The movie adaptation is pretty good too, if anyone wants watch another take on a cordyceps-zombie post-apocalypse.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I think this is one of the areas where the show is gonna diverge from the game and flesh things out a lot more, the backstory on how the infection works and how it spread initially.

We know that infection can spread via bites, that's established from the scene with the boy.

Speculating a bit, I'm gonna say that the biscuits and baking being shown is telegraphing to us how the infection spread initially. Fungus infecting grain is a real thing, that's what ergot does.

drat, so lifestyle gluten free people are even more smug and self-satisfied in TLOU universe? a fate worse than zombies for sure

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

freebooter posted:

The spoiler thread says that the kid at the start only gets euthanised after returning a positive test to the fungus? Which I totally missed, and if so, is much less brutal/evil than the (still understandable) alternative that they just straight up kill any outsiders seeking sanctuary.

Yeah the scanner is red before she says "we're going to give you some medicine" after the kid doesn't answer how they got the bite

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How the infection spreads in the game is airborne - but they probably don't want people thinking about covid as they watch, and it's harder to act in a mask, so they changed it.

Collateral posted:

This is a joke, right? A new trend in joshing that the cool kids are doing on tiktok?

Some people find it fun to point out these discrepancies in period pieces. Better Call Saul fans went nuts when Jimmy said a Simpsons quote that wouldn't become a meme until several years after the episode was set.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Chamale posted:

How the infection spreads in the game is airborne - but they probably don't want people thinking about covid as they watch, and it's harder to act in a mask, so they changed it.

Some people find it fun to point out these discrepancies in period pieces. Better Call Saul fans went nuts when Jimmy said a Simpsons quote that wouldn't become a meme until several years after the episode was set.

actually it can also spread through bites in the game

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

yea but how does it get in the ants in the first place? :ohdear:

Unmarried sex of course

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chamale posted:

Yeah it was a genuine question unrelated to the show. Just something that stuck out to me (the laundry tag placement) because I remember my teenage years having only shirts with tags behind my neck, which I always clipped off because of how annoying they were. I hung up laundry the other day and every single one of my t-shirts today just don’t have the laundry tag behind the neck anymore. Was just curious if this was a recent (2010s?) thing or if I’m having some kind of berenstein bears moment.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I didn't notice it in the show, but I also happened to think about shirt tags somewhat recently, and how most of mine don't have the neck one that irritates your skin and/or keeps sticking up and out of the shirt anymore

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Some of my shirts have the tag info printed on the inside by the neck now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chamale posted:

I don't remember this and Google is failing me, what was the quote?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chamale posted:

Breaking Bad itself had something similar with a reference to Bin Laden dying, IIRC.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My favorite is Jesse playing RAGE, a game that was not out in the time period the game was set, as some weird rear end corridor light gun shooter. Just the strangest product placement - why would iD want their game misrepresented that badly?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arist posted:

I don't remember this and Google is failing me, what was the quote?

"Saying the quiet part loud", when he was accusing the country club of throwing him out because he's Jewish

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Chamale posted:

"Saying the quiet part loud", when he was accusing the country club of throwing him out because he's Jewish

The Simpsons episode that is from aired in the mid 90s. Jimmy is just a big Simpsons nerd. This is canon

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At one point Jesse would have been watching Whitest Kids you Know sketches because the writers were fans. I think the Lincoln sketch specifically

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah it was a genuine question unrelated to the show. Just something that stuck out to me (the laundry tag placement) because I remember my teenage years having only shirts with tags behind my neck, which I always clipped off because of how annoying they were. I hung up laundry the other day and every single one of my t-shirts today just don’t have the laundry tag behind the neck anymore. Was just curious if this was a recent (2010s?) thing or if I’m having some kind of berenstein bears moment.

When I screen printed tshirts in my freshman year of university, I ordered specific brands that had the side tag for comfort. That was 2003, so while they weren’t common and you had to specifically look for them, they did exist at the time of the show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

we don't really need to know how the virus works biologically in the last of us. the intro with the talk show let's us know how it happened in a scientific enough way to suspend disbelief and accept that what's basically a zombie virus has ruined the world.

kliras posted:

the exact logic and science behind the pandemic are pretty confusing at this point in the show

Any amount of explanation for how zombies work is too much, because zombies don't work. The more we learn, the dumber it's going to be. I wish they'd left out all the fungus stuff and let it just be "there are zombies now; it's a mystery; shut up". "Realistic" zombies always end up being less realistic than just saying "magic's real and it makes zombies".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's dumb, they clearly want to give a semi-plausible cause for the sake of verisimilitude. That veneer being thin and not actually scientifically sound is true, but it's also irrelevant. It being random magic is much less scary and turns the show straight into The Walking Dead.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 19, 2023

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Quasi-scientific explanations for zombiehood can make stories more interesting, imo. It allows survivors to strategize about the zombies, and think about how to defeat them Once and For All, in more interesting ways than “destroy all of the evil magic undead.”

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

Quasi-scientific explanations for zombiehood can make stories more interesting, imo. It allows survivors to strategize about the zombies, and think about how to defeat them Once and For All, in more interesting ways than “destroy all of the evil magic undead.”

Or use it as self reflection as to what will doom us. The guy literally looks at the camera and says, global warming endangers us all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arist posted:

That's dumb, they clearly want to give a semi-plausible cause for the sake of verisimilitude.
But it does the opposite of that. It makes it less believable.

smug n stuff posted:

The less information you give the audience about how the zombies work, the more plausible options for defeating them remain. And you can establish whatever rules you like for how it works. Confirming them to be magic doesn't really take anything off the table either, because magic works exactly the way you want it to for the sake of your story because it's not real. It's only when you bring real things into the story (eg. fungi) that you run into the issue of "but it doesn't work that way".

Mooseontheloose posted:

Or use it as self reflection as to what will doom us. The guy literally looks at the camera and says, global warming endangers us all.
But that also works a lot better without the nonsense pseudoscience. If it happens by some unexplained mechanism "not currently known" then it remains a theoretical possibility.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

World War Z, the book, has slow zombies caused by a virus. At several points, characters point out that zombies can survive being frozen solid, or walking on the bottom of the ocean, or going years without food, or being shot in the head with green tips, and say "This should be impossible, but it's happening anyway."

28 Days Later has fast zombies caused by a virus transmitted through body fluids. It completely overruns Britain in days, but some of the survivors outlast them by waiting for the zombies to starve to death.

Night Of The Living Dead has slow, weak zombies caused by radiation from space. They're defeated by a posse armed with hunting rifles.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Idk the fungus is better than magic, to me, because they show “hey this is a real thing that happens to ants. It evolved and now it’s doing the same thing but to us”

It also explains why they look like that splayed out on the wall.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The fungus is cool because the mushroom forms look cool. It makes for more fascinating designs than just bloody corpses.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I think that in the show it's spread by food. They specifically mention pancake mix and other food. I have a hunch that food also spreads it based on them mentioning it in the show and Craig Mazin saying in the podcast that people paying close attention to the first ep will notice things brought up later in the show. I could be totally wrong but it makes as much sense as spores spreading it. As someone who has played both games I can't wait to see everyone's reaction to where the show goes. It's finally my opportunity to feel like Game of Thrones readers, though not quite on the same level. I will say the my favorite moment of the first ep is the out of focus granny twitching out in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don’t think that it’s in the pancake mix. Prions as well as some fungal toxins can survive the heat of cooking, but spores just can’t. And I mean sure, it’s fiction, they can do what they want, but the 1968 scene talked about heat intolerance as well as some of these toxins. The context was different in the 1968 scene, but it’s a discrepancy that would be easy to catch and easy to write around.