Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You gotta be ready to invest tens of thousands when you're only 2-3 utility infielders away from contention.

There's literally no reason not to see what Mervis can do (The Mancini signing makes sense as a potential platoon partner/DH/Insurance Policy) since he's gonna be 25 next season and it's not like the Cubs would look to extend him after 30 anyway. Unless Mervis completely and utterly shits the bed in spring- and even then, small sample size, Hosmer breaking camp with the team would be a huge organizational failure.

i really think the mervis/mancini/hozz situation is going to resolve itself fine, they'll find ABs for The Merv. We also get a sneak peak at Mervis in the WBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I have no resentment towards Kent Hrbek, but I am still chapped that it was called a pickoff when he physically yanked Ron Gant off 1st in 1991.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
MLB going hard in on sports betting then feeding juiced balls to Judge and Pujols is pretty wild in my eyes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

MLB going hard in on sports betting then feeding juiced balls to Judge and Pujols is pretty wild in my eyes.
just as wild to me that it didn't become a big scandal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
MLB threatening players who might give out balls to be tested most baseball writers probably don't want to dig into the issue for fear of losing access or their jobs.

It should be a much bigger story but MLB is far more concerned with generating stories and interest in the game to let that stop them. Another reason we shouldn't give them power over robo umps, I could absolutely see them manipulating players zones to increase production or milestone chasing and then there is the whole shady gambling side of it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DFA the 26 year old with great stuff for a 31 year old career minor leaguer who has been torched in the majors.

That's how you do a rebuild.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Every time Yu Darvish doesn't get a World Series ring is what gets me most angry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These lists are driving me insane. You can't have two of the top ten LF on the same team!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

These lists are driving me insane. You can't have two of the top ten LF on the same team!

The issue i have with it is thst Schwarber isnt at the top.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schwarber didn’t take long to cement himself as one of the best Phillies ever

He’s over Schmidt already

(Best here being the overall package , not just war)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How could two men from Ohio be so different ?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ok who's reading this one

quote:

Baseball’s most outspoken fireballer brings the high heat—calling out the hacks, cheats, and ridiculous rules that have tarnished the game—and pitches a-plus stuff on how to make baseball pure, fun, and drat near perfect.

quote:

Kelly has something to say about baseball’s rule changes (pitch clocks, limiting defensive shifts, the designated hitter); hacks (overused analytics, sign-stealing); stale promotion to new fans; and encouraging players’ emotions (let them fight, bat-flip, and talk sh*t!). Plus, he details how he aired his complaints in an illuminating meeting with commissioner Rob Manfred.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 18, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1615739329577459712

Crazy how the two NL MVP frontrunners fell off a cliff after 2019.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened in 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh right covid next year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

What happened in 2019

Well MLB put all video feeds on a time delay.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Red Sox are signing Adam Duvall.

1 year, $7 million, which means he's going to earn $2.3 million purely to strike out. Worth a gamble, though, that he will produce a positive WAR and stay healthy. Dude can deliver some moonshots.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

RC and Moon Pie posted:

1 year, $7 million, which means he's going to earn $2.3 million purely to strike out. Worth a gamble, though, that he will produce a positive WAR and stay healthy. Dude can deliver some moonshots.

I just hope Bloopy has some visitation with Stone

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Darvish was right all along

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Desperately needed signing considering how weak up the middle Boston is with Xander gone and Story broken. They can play Duvall in CF, move Kiké to short, Arroyo at 2nd (or vice versa), and that's...not completely embarrassing. Plus the OF was lacking in pop last year, so Duvall should help there too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I appreciate that he put the picture on the cover of his weird face

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

R.D. Mangles posted:

Absolutely. Joe Kelly is that dude

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Armando gallaraga, easily. If talking cardinals specifically definitely the wildcard game at the end of 2021, Alex Reyes was absolutely hung out to dry by our moron manager.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/Every6thDay/status/1615760289672331264

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bonkers lineup, they've gotta be the favorites

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's really cool to see so many MLB players in the WBC, seems like it's really catching on. I can't wait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gary Sanchez is the best catcher from the DR?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Gary Sanchez is the best catcher from the DR?

You dont catch off the island.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

His two 3-homer games a week apart were real fun

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mets signed noted fantasy sports enthusiast Tommy Pham. No way this can go wrong

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1615772185645441024

lmao imagine watching Chapman just completely meltdown last year and then run out in a huff on the Yankees on the eve of the postseason, and thinking "hell yeah now that's the guy I want on my team this year." :downs:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

camoseven posted:

I choose to believe the Tatis suspension is what enabled Franmil to make the team, so really it's all worth it.

Also:
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1615754365364756483

Further underscoring what a massive haul that was, especially with Wood leaping up prospect boards based solely on his pre-trade performance (his post trade was thoroughly pedestrian).

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

camoseven posted:

Is Nelson Cruz on the roster? I thought he was the manager, it would be awesome if he is doing the player/manager role.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

just as wild to me that it didn't become a big scandal

Journalists don't want to lose their access. They're in on it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

camoseven posted:

I guess Cano is there to cheerlead, because most everybody else on there is great

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Darvish was right all along

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

Some guys gradually decline and others just hit a wall.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigDumper posted:

Is Nelson Cruz on the roster? I thought he was the manager, it would be awesome if he is doing the player/manager role.

MLB needs player/managers again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I watched a pretty interesting video a few days ago that actually put forth pretty compelling reasons for why Bellinger and Yelich each fell off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mENEu3qJnA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Some guys gradually decline and others just hit a wall.

it was all downhill after he split from Ariana Grande