Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, does Decky need to be reinstalled after every OS update? I’ll probably go off the beta channel if that’s the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vita port of persona 3 finally dropped

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Baxate posted:

This plus you have to restart Steam. Exiting Desktop mode and going into Game mode should do it, but if you're looking at Steam in Desktop mode to confirm they're there after installing in Heroic, they won't show until you restart Steam.

I would say having Steam off when you're editing its game list (minus sgboop), is a best practice.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Why is the G key on my Judge Derek's keyboard look as though it's permanently pressed down on the touchscreen?

I've switched to a few other keyboards and it's still there. Is there some feature/utility here?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Try using the touchpads.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

KozmoNaut posted:

Try using the touchpads.

Owned

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Ya that should be the same.
Decky broke (I'm bets) so I couldn't get direct info

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone said Single player Halo MCC works fine now? Can I just straight boot it from the OS or does it still need workarounds? Hard to find any recent info via google it's all from around launch.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I played some of Halo Reach yesterday and didn’t have any problems.

E: except not knowing anything of the story of the Haloverse, trying to make sense of it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Beastie posted:

Why is the G key on my Judge Derek's keyboard look as though it's permanently pressed down on the touchscreen?

I've switched to a few other keyboards and it's still there. Is there some feature/utility here?

I think I get this sometimes but I would say when bringing up the virtual keyboard it is initially hovered over rather than pressed down. Goes away when moving the cursor with the touch pad.

Doesn't bother me as much as, say, inputs not working on the passcode / unlock screen sometimes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Someone said Single player Halo MCC works fine now? Can I just straight boot it from the OS or does it still need workarounds? Hard to find any recent info via google it's all from around launch.

You can user after: in your search. I googled:
after:2023-01-01 "Halo MCC" + "Steam Deck"
In my first result SilentR0b on Reddit says

quote:

Yes. Not the MP, but Campaigns work OOB. Just choose the disable anti-cheat option at startup, and you'll be fine.
They should just label it as playable

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

*All USB-C docks with video output use DisplayPort internally, even if they only have HDMI. Leaving out the DP plug is silly.

I just read an article about this very topic the other day....

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hadji murad posted:

I played some of Halo Reach yesterday and didn’t have any problems.

E: except not knowing anything of the story of the Haloverse, trying to make sense of it

There's this guy who's the greatest cook who ever lived named master chef and he fights aliens so good God comes down from heaven and says you have earned a halo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's this guy who's the greatest cook who ever lived named master chef and he fights aliens so good God comes down from heaven and says you have earned a halo
Sounds legit.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So as someone that is playing a completely vanilla deck I can just buy the halo collection on steam and it’ll “just work” ?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Here you go!

https://www.protondb.com/app/976730

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

So as someone that is playing a completely vanilla deck I can just buy the halo collection on steam and it’ll “just work” ?

Yes, for single player. You choose ‘disable anti-cheat’ when launching which disables most multiplayer options, but other than that it runs fine

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, does Decky need to be reinstalled after every OS update?

Not always - it depends on what changed in the OS update.

Subjunctive posted:

I’ll probably go off the beta channel if that’s the case.

But it's probably not a good idea to be on the beta channel if you want Decky to be stable. Whenever Valve ships an OS update which breaks Decky compatibility in some way, the beta channel is where it happens first. The Decky developers usually fix the issues before the OS update hits the main release channel.

Ima Computer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 19, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

All USB-C docks with video output use DisplayPort internally, even if they only have HDMI. Leaving out the DP plug is silly.
The problem is that if you ship a hub with both DP and HDMI ports then some folks are going to expect it to support both ports at the same time in a multi monitor configuration. Which itself is pretty reasonable, but to do that you have to implement DP MST functionality which increases cost.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Have they said anything about putting MCC multiplayer on the Deck?

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 19, 2023

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have a couple of questions about Powertools. I installed it from Decky because I read that it may improve GameCube emulation by disabling SMT. Are there any other emulators, specifically ps2,that would benefit from that? Also, does it make a difference whether I install it from the Decky store or from Emudeck setup? I ask that because in the Decky store it states that it requires root but never asked for my password when I installed it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

A lot of anticheat won’t work properly on proton because they can’t guarantee it’ll stop cheating because of the way proton works so probably not.

If Epic can’t even be bothered to even try and put something together to expand the reach of the infinite money machine that is Fortnite I don’t see MS bothering for Halo.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Help computer.

History Comes Inside! posted:

A lot of anticheat won’t work properly on proton because they can’t guarantee it’ll stop cheating because of the way proton works so probably not.

If Epic can’t even be bothered to even try and put something together to expand the reach of the infinite money machine that is Fortnite I don’t see MS bothering for Halo.

99% of anticheat solutions already work fine on Proton. Not all games have implemented that support yet, but plenty have.

Epic put in a non-zero amount of effort to implement Proton-compatible client binaries for Easy Anti Cheat a year and a half ago. The reason Fortnite isn't available on the Steam Deck probably has a lot more to do with Steam (which is the Gaming Mode interface that 99% of Deck users spend all their time in) being a direct competitor to Epic's own launcher and games store.

jokes posted:

The game's developers started the process of enabling EAC Proton support back in September... unsuccessfully. It doesn't look like there's been any update from them since then.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Anti cheat “works” for a lesser definition of working that doesn’t involve kernel-level protection.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ima Computer posted:

Epic put in a non-zero amount of effort to implement Proton-compatible client binaries for Easy Anti Cheat a year and a half ago. The reason Fortnite isn't available on the Steam Deck probably has a lot more to do with Steam (which is the Gaming Mode interface that 99% of Deck users spend all their time in) being a direct competitor to Epic's own launcher and games store.

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1490565925648715781

:shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ima Computer posted:

Nah that's overly conspiratorial, they say themselves why Fortnite doesn't have Linux support, because they don't believe that the usermode Linux version of EAC actually offers any protection. Which is very silly that they even offer it, until you realize that anticheat is for the most part a b2b scam product anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Outright admitting a vote of no confidence in your own product like that is quite the take.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

homeless snail posted:

Nah that's overly conspiratorial, they say themselves why Fortnite doesn't have Linux support, because they don't believe that the usermode Linux version of EAC actually offers any protection. Which is very silly that they even offer it, until you realize that anticheat is for the most part a b2b scam product anyway.

I mean, this doesn't seem that overly conspiratorial

https://twitter.com/timsweeneyepic/status/1490841213347540993

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

20-30% of cost for setting up your food stand inside my building sounds like opportunity cost to me :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That says the opposite of what the dude I quoted posted. Yeah no poo poo they're not going to put it on the Steam store. Heroic launcher already exists, its not a great burden to play Epic games on Linux or even the Steam Deck. The reason you can't play Fortnite is entirely because EAC doesn't actually work there so they have no interest in flipping the switch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

homeless snail posted:

That says the opposite of what the dude I quoted posted. Yeah no poo poo they're not going to put it on the Steam store. Heroic launcher already exists, its not a great burden to play Epic games on Linux or even the Steam Deck. The reason you can't play Fortnite is entirely because EAC doesn't actually work there so they have no interest in flipping the switch.

Tim Sweeney specifically called out the Deck's market share and (rightfully or not) Steam's business model (which a game like fortnite would be able to get favorable terms for, but w/e). Getting an anti-cheat on Linux that would be approximately as effective as EAC is on Windows is a very doable task, Epic isn't investing in it for political reasons moreso than technical ones.

I mean, it's their game they can do what they want. But Sweeney is explicit that its mainly because they don't WANT to put it on Steam and Valve Hardware, not the it's not possible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lockback posted:

Getting an anti-cheat on Linux that would be approximately as effective as EAC is on Windows is a very doable task
Unless this is an ironic "because anti cheat doesn't work" joke, which I'm fully on board with here btw, then lmao I'm gonna need you to show your work because it absolutely is not unless Epic is prepared to start rolling their own distro.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Help computer.

homeless snail posted:

anticheat is for the most part a b2b scam product anyway

Tim Sweeny's comments in that Twitter thread are kind of dumb. The situation on Windows isn't really any different - custom ring-0/kernel-level cheats are totally a thing there too. That's why cheating is still so rampant on PC despite the existence of all these invasive anticheat solutions.

All anticheat is mostly snake oil. You can't trust code anymore once you release it to the user to run on their own computer. The only thing anticheat does well is to filter out low-level script kiddies. It's an literally an unsolvable problem.

The only effective means of combating cheaters is doing so reactively - analyzing the behavior of the player's game client for suspicious patterns after the fact from the server side. And even then, it's a continuous cat-and-mouse game.

homeless snail posted:

The reason you can't play Fortnite is entirely because EAC doesn't actually work there so they have no interest in flipping the switch.
It's not just the EAC switch that needs to be flipped (and tested).

Epic would also need to release an official Linux/SteamDeck Epic Games Store launcher (they would never recommend an unofficial launcher like Heroic) or release the game on Steam (they would never pay the fees)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lockback posted:

Tim Sweeney specifically called out the Deck's market share and (rightfully or not) Steam's business model (which a game like fortnite would be able to get favorable terms for, but w/e). Getting an anti-cheat on Linux that would be approximately as effective as EAC is on Windows is a very doable task, Epic isn't investing in it for political reasons moreso than technical ones.

I mean, it's their game they can do what they want. But Sweeney is explicit that its mainly because they don't WANT to put it on Steam and Valve Hardware, not the it's not possible.

They don’t have a Linux version of Fortnite because they don’t think EAC works reliably on it.

Nothing about that has anything to do with Valve or the Steam Deck or anything else beyond the fact that the Deck runs Linux.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Unless this is an ironic "because anti cheat doesn't work" joke, which I'm fully on board with here btw, then lmao I'm gonna need you to show your work because it absolutely is not unless Epic is prepared to start rolling their own distro.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They don’t have a Linux version of Fortnite because they don’t think EAC works reliably on it.

Nothing about that has anything to do with Valve or the Steam Deck or anything else beyond the fact that the Deck runs Linux.

There are anti-cheat applications on Linux, they can either have a different anti-cheat layer for Linux (which would work about as good as EAC) or EAC has supported Linux for a year now so Epic can either work with them to get whatever requirements they need or (more likely) cut the double standard of needing EAC to do something in Linux that it doesn't do very well in Windows anyway. But they won't because:

Ima Computer posted:

Epic would also need to release an official Linux/SteamDeck Epic Games Store launcher (they would never recommend an unofficial launcher like Heroic) or release the game on Steam (they would never pay the fees)

Which is a completely different thing from there not being a technical path for anti-cheat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's the punchline: Epic owns EAC. It's what Fortnite uses.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CBD Corndog posted:

Yes, for single player. You choose ‘disable anti-cheat’ when launching which disables most multiplayer options, but other than that it runs fine

Does that mean you're stuck to singleplayer, no co-op? I wouldn't mind missing out on the multiplayer stuff outside of custom zombie gamemodes but I only ever found the Halo campaigns fun in co-op. I own the MCC, but being stuck to the Deck for now I probably won't be installing it if I can't co-op.

loudog999 posted:

I have a couple of questions about Powertools. I installed it from Decky because I read that it may improve GameCube emulation by disabling SMT. Are there any other emulators, specifically ps2,that would benefit from that? Also, does it make a difference whether I install it from the Decky store or from Emudeck setup? I ask that because in the Decky store it states that it requires root but never asked for my password when I installed it.

I don't know if PS2 gets any benefit from it, but Yuzu does. Not sure on Ryujinx. As for the install, it's the same if you installed it via EmuDeck or the Decky Store.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Oh, lol I didn't realize that. I thought EAC was used by a bunch of stuff. That's even worse then, they are cutting their own legs off and then trying to hide behind having no legs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

No wonder it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sounds like they're stuck in Heck.

Steam Heck.

Ima Computer posted:

All anticheat is mostly snake oil. You can't trust code anymore once you release it to the user to run on their own computer. The only thing anticheat does well is to filter out low-level script kiddies. It's an literally an unsolvable problem.

Agreed about the broad strokes of the argument but I think it's actually worthwhile to apply a minimal (non-invasive!) amount of protection over things you don't want people messing with. Even if it only filters out the lazy 90% of the population, that's still a lot less messing-with.

But the steps they go to try to claim 100% protection are unhealthy.