Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

What exactly is the job of Jeremy Renner in Mayor of Kingstown? I assume the majority of what he does is illegal, so what exactly is his official job and responsibilities that he tells the tax man that he does and how does he get away with doing everything else that he does? Do these people actually exist in real life?

Real general answer having not watched the show is that you just need a W2 from a legitimate company that roughly matches the cash that they can track and you're "fine." Unless you really get the FBI on your rear end they're not going to bother with spying on you to see if you really go to work as a consultant at NotAFront Inc. Or have a Saul Goodman type find you a guy who's happy to help set up a cover job for a little cash or to pay off a favor. Not sure how realistic they bother to be with it and I just skimmed the summary.

This was a big plot point on the Sopranos since Tony needed the W2 from the garbage company to explain how he got his money and he technically wasn't supposed to live a lifestyle above what he could justify paying himself.

By the way, is Mayor of Kingstown a decent show? I don't think I have enough interest in Paramount+ to justify getting it, but my Dad's wants to watch the Harrison Ford western thing so we might have enough to make it worthwhile for a few months.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 19, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Aye Doc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHfjQDWl1A

this is the Jason Segel/Harrison Ford show by Bill Lawrence, coming January 27th. looks interesting enough

I don't think it looks super compelling, but after Dispatches from Elsewhere, I am willing to give it a shot based on Segel's name alone.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

By the way, is Mayor of Kingstown a decent show? I don't think I have enough interest in Paramount+ to justify getting it, but my Dad's wants to watch the Harrison Ford western thing so we might have enough to make it worthwhile for a few months.

Now that Yellowstone has fallen off the rails, it's probably my favourite Sheridan-verse show. I'd put it on par with something like Ozark - it's prestige-wannabe. The world/premise is endlessly fascinating and Renner is good. The last couple of episodes of Season 1 went to some loving insane places which I did not see coming and the ramifactions of doing so don't seem to be being glossed over in Season 2 which is certainly a postive and a point of difference to something like Yellowstone where no matter what happens, the show defaults back to it's normal self a couple of episodes later as though nothing happened.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Reminder that you've got about 48 hours to put in your ballot for the best show of 2022:siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

I really liked Willow growing up, but the tone and humor of the show in all the trailers looked like a huge whiff to me. Is it actually akin to the vibe of the movie? It seemed very MCU humor/"They fly now?" level stuff to me.
Re watching the movie, I felt like it was trying to bring a similar feel to the fantasy world, but at late 80s levels. I feel the vibe is definitely similar but it was also a slow burn for me; I wasn't all in until the 7th episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

Hulu keeps trying to make me watch Big Sky after Will Trent. I unfortunately know enough to now want see these two creepy dudes killed but they already lasted longer than I expected, so it's maybe not that kind of show with new villains popping in often. Show seems bad, couldn't specify why, but it popped up again today even after I had asked them to not how me it anymore lol, but I am non-zero percent interested in seeing these serial killers destroyed.

I actually enjoy it. It's not a "good" show but I have a soft spot for David E. Kelly ever since Picket Fences so I'm lenient. I really liked the pilot and the first season in general, second stretched the same premise a bit too much but the third is more "mystery of the week". Bonus points for Jensen Ackles and Kathryn Winnick being pretty people to look at.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/entertainment/julian-sands-missing-hiker/index.html

Things aren't looking good for Julian Sands. He went missing Friday while hiking on Mt Baldy and inclement weather has made searching difficult.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

I actually enjoy it. It's not a "good" show but I have a soft spot for David E. Kelly ever since Picket Fences so I'm lenient. I really liked the pilot and the first season in general, second stretched the same premise a bit too much but the third is more "mystery of the week". Bonus points for Jensen Ackles and Kathryn Winnick being pretty people to look at.

Haha I saw his name but couldn't put any media to it, so have no frame of reference for what his involvement means. I was too young for all mc beal and boston legal at the time and never saw anything else he did. I think the most identifiable "bad "thing about it that was putting me off was like the main serial killer trucker guy. He's got mommy/women issues and takes it out on innocent victims when he's trucking, but it's a little too on-the-nose. Mom berates him cartoonishly, she only exists to needle him in this manner in the show, then they're cutting to him out hurting women and taking his rage out. It's just a little too... we know serial killer's basic origin story framework, they don't need to show mean mommy so directly we'd be looking at the mother or father figures for signs of bad relationship even if the mom was played subtly and they were trying to hide it or be crafty about it.

What are the David E Kellyisms? I know some Sorkinisms but not any Kellyisms.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1616106979382153216?s=12

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/entertainment/julian-sands-missing-hiker/index.html

Things aren't looking good for Julian Sands. He went missing Friday while hiking on Mt Baldy and inclement weather has made searching difficult.

drat, I read this just as they mentioned it on the news. I loved that guy in Warlock on Arachnophobia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

The other thing I find crazy about TV/Nielson ratings is how small the pool of people is that the data is actually obtained from. I don't remember the exact number but it's something crazy like 25,000 people being surveyed. In Australia, the equivilant service is something like 5,000.

I don't know much about statistics, but that seems like an insanely small pool of people, especially when you start slicing the data by demographics, age, race, sex, income etc.

I would have thought with the advent of Smart TVs they should have real time data of every single internet connected TV, but apparantly that is not a thing.

Me and my then roommates were a Nielsen 'family' for a couple of years after the turn of the century. They came by and put something on our TV and paid us $30 a month. We didn't have cable so we just put it on PBS all the time. But their device kept loving up and they kept having to come out to fix it and eventually were were just like "take it out"

As far as stats go, you're rarely going to see a quality political poll with an N > 1000 and in fact higher numbers are suspicious and tend to indicate a lower quality poll.

This reeks of some small town prosecutors looking for a career case

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no way I'm gonna buy that Baldwin is the one at fault here even if he used the weapon irresponsibly. He's not the one on set qualified to inspect a gun and know there was live ammunition in it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

This reeks of some small town prosecutors looking for a career case

Arist posted:

There's no way I'm gonna buy that Baldwin is the one at fault here even if he used the weapon irresponsibly. He's not the one on set qualified to inspect a gun and know there was live ammunition in it.

For the most part, I agree. And there's definitely a bunch of right wingers who sense blood in the water and are pouncing on this, which sucks, because it's unrelated to whatever actually happened.

But he wasn't just an actor on set, he was a producer. The civil suit brought against him claimed that the set was unprofessional and that they were cutting corners to save time and money all over the place, and that Alec Baldwin was a part of setting that tone. So part of that might have been hiring an armorer who didn't know what they were doing because they would agree to cut corners. By all accounts, several things went wrong (I mean, clearly that's true, someone died, but we know some of the things that went wrong, and they just shouldn't happen on a movie set). Couple that with Baldwin being the person who actually fired the gun, and I could see some reckless endangerment charges or something. Then again, maybe when someone actually dies, that crosses a line beyond that. I'm curious to see what they actually bring to a court case.

With all that being said, involuntary manslaughter seems extreme, and I don't see any way Baldwin will actually go to prison. Also, the armorer was charged as well.

I'm just saying it's not exactly as clear cut as Michael Groo Massee shooting Brandon Lee, as he was just an actor in The Crow, and not a part of management for the movie.

I'm gonna need the LegalEagle guy to chime in on this one given the latest info. I know he did back in November of 2021, but I imagine he'll have more to say now. (I don't think the civil suit had even happened yet, for example.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmAeMQCvZQ

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 19, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm just saying it's not exactly as clear cut as Michael Groo Massee shooting Brandon Lee, as he was just an actor in The Crow, and not a part of management for the movie.

That was also not a case of actual live ammunition either. It was a jammed improvised dummy round for closeups propelled by a blank. Still egregious and should have been caught, but still not on the same scale of using real ammunition on set.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
On top of that, the armorer is saying that Baldwin refused to be trained with the gun so it may stack up enough to be a criminal charge depending on how much of a real producer he was. As whatever news is on just said, Involuntary Manslaughter can still be an accident. Just one where you hosed up pretty hard or were irresponsible. Going to be an interesting trial.

But it can also be possible that they just want to flip Baldwin on the armorer hard or play them both against one another. It seems to be working since they both immediately skewered the other in the press.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Baldwin also claims he didn’t pull the trigger even when the FBI investigation found the gun could not have fired without the trigger being pulled. Which idk if that can be related to the criminal case but it certainly doesn’t help matters. He doesn’t deserve to be considered a murderer at all, but I also haven’t seen him do anything other than blame others and downplay his own part in it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Thinking back to ER chat made me remember something:
Wasn't there a doctor who wanted to go undercover in a mental institution for a while and then lost whatever macguffin he had to be allowed out, and then was there forever?
Or am I thinking of a different show that was a lot like ER? Chicago Hope maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nellie Bly famously did that irl but she got out and wrote a book about how bad asylums are.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EricBauman posted:

Thinking back to ER chat made me remember something:
Wasn't there a doctor who wanted to go undercover in a mental institution for a while and then lost whatever macguffin he had to be allowed out, and then was there forever?
Or am I thinking of a different show that was a lot like ER? Chicago Hope maybe?

I haven't watched all of ER (mostly missed the last...quarter of the show?), but that definitely sounds more like a Chicago Hope plot. That show got wild.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m only like 4 episodes in but ER is still fantastic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Nellie Bly famously did that irl but she got out and wrote a book about how bad asylums are.

This was also adapted into a season of American Horror Story as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the subject of ER, the main things I know about it are:

1. helicopter

2. The A.V. Club, back when it was a good website, had an article talking about a famous episode when George Clooney was still on the show that was just about his character getting a big standout tour-de-force, since pretty much everyone making the show knew he was about to blow up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
ER had a live episode one time, I think that may have been the only time I've seen ER.

I also remember the next day, probably Good Morning 'Merica or something similar, ran a piece comparing the differences east coast and west coast versions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arist posted:

On the subject of ER, the main things I know about it are:

1. helicopter

2. The A.V. Club, back when it was a good website, had an article talking about a famous episode when George Clooney was still on the show that was just about his character getting a big standout tour-de-force, since pretty much everyone making the show knew he was about to blow up.

I don't remember what episode you're referring to, though I'm sure it exists, but Georgie Clooney definitely had a lot of stand out episodes. He was always good to beat the poo poo out of a child abusing dad.

But yeah, it became clear pretty early on that he was the breakout star. I'm actually kind of surprised they kept him for 5 seasons. I blame Batman & Robin setting his movie career back a couple of years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thrawn527 posted:

I don't remember what episode you're referring to, though I'm sure it exists, but Georgie Clooney definitely had a lot of stand out episodes. He was always good to beat the poo poo out of a child abusing dad.

But yeah, it became clear pretty early on that he was the breakout star. I'm actually kind of surprised they kept him for 5 seasons. I blame Batman & Robin setting his movie career back a couple of years.

This was the article:

https://www.avclub.com/er-s-daring-storm-rescue-made-george-clooney-a-star-1798243061

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh hell, as soon as I saw, "storm rescue" I remembered everything. Yeah, that episode is an absolute banger. Clooney became Clooney in that episode, as they say in the article.

poo poo, I gotta watch ER again. I'm almost done with Frasier. Once I'm done with that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That 90s Show is... Ok

E: when it's the og characters it's watchable, the new characters.... Well the girl members of the group are fine...

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 19, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, here's the counter case to Zaslav.

quote:

Netflix reported its fourth-quarter 2022 earnings Thursday, revealing financial performance for the three-month period during which the platform’s cheaper, ad-supported plan launched and the new Tim Burton drama “Wednesday” regularly dominated the weekly Top 10 rankings.

The streamer added 7.66 million net new subscribers in Q4, compared to its own estimation of 4.5 million additions. And Netflix ended 2022 with 230.75 million worldwide, smashing its previous target of 227.59 million. That represents 4% year over year growth in total subs, with paid memberships rising by 910,000 in the U.S. and Canada, 3.2 million throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa, 1.76 million in Latin America and 1.8 million in the Asia-Pacific region.

In discussing its financial results for the quarter, Netflix management stated flatly that the company’s most free-spending years are behind them. The current quarter marks 10 years since Netflix up-ended the industry with the launch of original series content with the David Fincher drama series “House of Cards.”

“Now that we are a decade into our original programming initiative and have successfully scaled it, we are past the most cash intensive phase of this buildout,” Netflix wrote in its letter to shareholders. “As a result, we believe we will now be generating sustained, positive annual free cash flow going forward. Assuming no material swings in (foreign currency fluctuations), we expect at least $3B of FCF for the full year 2023.”]

I'd wanna know how much that ad-supported tier is contributing but I couldn't find it in the article

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just saw a Twitter comment re. Jared Leto: "His best roles are in movies where he's beaten and/or violently killed". :lol:

Examples given: Fight Club, American Psycho, Lord of War

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I actually just rewatched Blade Runner 2049 last night and he’s fine in it, but I can also name at least a dozen other similar actors off the top of my head who’d have given equivalent or better performances. Leto brings nothing unique to it other than his real world unpleasantness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They just announced a Tron sequel with him in the lead and it's gonna suuuuuck

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nothing's gonna beat:

"Kevin Flynn, am I still to create the perfect system?"

".............yeah?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

Nothing's gonna beat:

"Kevin Flynn, am I still to create the perfect system?"

".............yeah?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4wJSqQRy8

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's that weeb fantasy movie The Outsider where Jared Leto respects Japanese culture so hard that they let him join the Yakuza. Then he white knights a hot Asian girl being harassed and she immediately fucks him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1616245255682068481

Joe Quinn already cashing in big off his role as Eddie. Also A Quiet Place 3 prequel lol

Mantis42 posted:

There's that weeb fantasy movie The Outsider where Jared Leto respects Japanese culture so hard that they let him join the Yakuza. Then he white knights a hot Asian girl being harassed and she immediately fucks him.

Tokyo Vice is the opposite of this

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

They just announced a Tron sequel with him in the lead and it's gonna suuuuuck

Can't wait to see how he method acts this time.

Is he going to end every sentence with "End of line" or will he electrocute himself trying to upload his brain to his PC

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if he succeeds in transferring himself into a computer?

:stare:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay, so apparently when I got too distracted to watch tv by podcasts and the internet, I was really missing out on good stuff! Just finished Harley Quinn and the first season of Only Murders in the Building. Both are excellent, simply EXCELLENT!

Harley does something successfully that I think Velma was trying to do and failed: be raunchy and insult-y, while being progressive and hip to the new generation. I was particularly tickled, not only by Harley+Ivy, but by BatCat and the new dynamic between them of one being bored and disinterested and the other being clingy Bruce. Not to mention having Joker, of all people, making arroz con pollo for his family?! This was really good.

And Only Murders? Ugh, I wish I hadn't gotten so bogged down by crime podcasts that I just gave up on the show on the Sting episode. It just got progressively better after that and the main three's chemistry is amazing. Hope it keeps up for season 2. I watched because it was on a lot of goon's top 10 and because the goddess herself, Meryl Streep is coming along S3 (with an added little bonus of fountain of youth himself, Paul Rudd joining in too). I was not disappointed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Late to the party but I finally saw Last Of Us. The first half has some really impressive set pieces and the tension building is just great. Totally from the makers of Chernobyl. But then the second half of the episode is completely different and falls down a cliff. What happened. I really have no interest in seeing any more of those zombies. It feels like going from the amazing Walking Dead pilot to the crappy second and third episodes.