Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fadam posted:

Is there any reason to not use the time warp thing to go back and fix bad turns?

The deep sense of internal shame that you aren't a completely flawless and unimpeachable strategist.

(No, there's no reason not to, go nuts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

No unless you really want to feel how the pre echoes fire emblem games played

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the game secretly counts the number of times you use it and if you go over 75 you'll get the bad ending one chapter before the final one

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Assuming it is like the other games and you have a limited amount of resets per map then you should not rest for minor setbacks but if things start to get ugly then slam that button as hard as you can.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe it's infinite on Normal mode? And 10 uses on Hard/Maddening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lol, i regularly use the charges for things like forgetting to equip a slightly more optimal weapon for enemy phase or failed EXP optimization

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1616070466502025220

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2023/January/Ask-the-Developer-Vol-8-Fire-Emblem-Engage-Chapter-3-2329633.html

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wtf is Fire Emblem: Blade of Light

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Terper posted:

I believe it's infinite on Normal mode? And 10 uses on Hard/Maddening.

Per map or... Total? Either one sounds excessive in either extreme. I also used to Divine Pulse for stupid poo poo like changing equipment, but I'll be legit sad if it's 10 for a whole playthrough. I can't really imagine even provisionally going back to the "restart the whole map" days after DP/Turnwheel as a quality of life upgrade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Per map or... Total? Either one sounds excessive in either extreme. I also used to Divine Pulse for stupid poo poo like changing equipment, but I'll be legit sad if it's 10 for a whole playthrough. I can't really imagine even provisionally going back to the "restart the whole map" days after DP/Turnwheel as a quality of life upgrade.

It's 10 per map.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf is Fire Emblem: Blade of Light

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light[a], known in Japan as Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi, is a tactical role-playing video game developed by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo for the Famicom. It is the first installment in the Fire Emblem series and was originally released in Japan in 1990.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

It's 10 per map.
Well drat, I like the idea of them being a semi-limited resource for hard but 10 is like... A lot. Guess I'll still be using uses for just a jump to the left.

Why the hell get an artist like this and eschew 2D portraits? This would have been sick as hell to have even as just the promo poster style instead. Are the 3D portraits done well, goons who have already played it? With 2D I have less barrier to imagining out the actions implied in some support skits, but 3D somehow feels more distracting when nothing is actually animated about them. Yes, my brain is made of cheese.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Syrnn posted:

Why the hell get an artist like this and eschew 2D portraits? This would have been sick as hell to have even as just the promo poster style instead. Are the 3D portraits done well, goons who have already played it? With 2D I have less barrier to imagining out the actions implied in some support skits, but 3D somehow feels more distracting when nothing is actually animated about them. Yes, my brain is made of cheese.

Actually, funnily enough according to those Dev interviews it was Mika Pikazo's own suggestion to have 3D portraits and she helped with them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They don’t have 2D portraits because they’re usually a compromise because the ingame graphics aren’t capable of conveying emotion and poo poo properly and Engage is the second Switch Fire Emblem so they challenged themselves to make it 100% 3D. I’d rather have portraits too, but according to the interviews the artist helped a lot with the 3D models so it’s kinda hard to feel too disappointed.

edit: efb

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
[Weren't there some characters in past titles who moved so slowly that by the time they reached their opponent, the other characters had already finished the battle? (Laughs)

Nakanishi: Yes, in that context, I think even Armor Knights will be able to battle up front in this game together with Emblem Sigurd, who increases mobility.]

Oh they knew. Louis is easily the best combat unit and making hard mode pretty easy to manage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone have a feel for the difficulties yet? Three Houses on Normal was a cakewalk.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm ready to engage but my game isn't yet for 7 more hours. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone have a feel for the difficulties yet? Three Houses on Normal was a cakewalk.

Absolutely don't play on normal, hard mode will take a lot of resets at first but you'll get used to the flow. The biggest downgrade is no future forecast for combat and arrow telling which enemy hits which character, so if you relied on that, welp now it's gone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can live with that. Whatever Normal was on the GBA games is my ideal difficulty so I’ll go with Hard.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

How does it feel having full engage meter from the start (I think that's correct?) with the maps so far?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, it's quite built for it. Building back up engage mode isn't a rare thing. You're meant to use these tools often, and maps start you off with a lot of enemies nearby in a mode that no one outside of armor knights can handle 3 combat scenarios.

That's part of why Louis is so good with Sigurd, because he's one of the only units that can overextend, not die, and build back the Engage mode easier since each combat round is 1 pip of meter.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Nice thanks, I was curious about the tuning but it sounds like it's not an issue on hard+.

Fully excited for armor units to be relevant after too many hours of 3H. I'm ready to bring The Wall!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not too bad. engages arent quite as op as people thought they'd be short of sigurd and byleth. enemy density is pretty high and they hit really hard so getting a unit who can both kill an enemy with celica's warp ragnarok and survive an enemy turn is hard, i mostly use it to get the mage from one front to the other when my army's split up. marth makes a unit kill enemies they break easier and is pretty dodgy but he doesnt really increase actual survivability and enmies are pretty accurate on hard. even with marth up and in cover enemies still tend to pull 20-30% hit rates, which isnt nothing given their damage. roy is just a stat bump with an okay swipe attack. lyn is mostly just a button to snipe an enemy. micaiah is a heal bot, flying or cavalry healer in the early game is nice and great sacrifice can help but again, enemies hit hard enough that there's not much grey space between 'full hp' and 'dying' for most units. Ike and Corrin just kinda feel really gimmicky, and Lucina's basically just a variant of Marth that doesn't rely on breaking but on positioning. Leif's gimmick relies on you having weapons for every situation in your inventory. They're still good but their power level really does feel comparable to batallions in 3H, just with slightly more immediate power in exchange for being off half the time.

Enemy bosses having multiple HP bars and fairly high stats also means you usually want to save a couple of the single target nuke engages for them.

overall they're all mostly alpha strike buttons, they feel more like compensation for how much you dont want enemies to counter.

the main thing ill say is that armor knights are probably slightly too good. they dont completely break the game but they make engaging (heh) with difficult enemy formations way simpler, and for most of the midgame enemy damage, while high, doesnt inflate fast enough to keep up with armor knights absurd defense. and if you get into abusing tonics that problem probably worsens. ive yet to see how they fare on maddening though, but at least on hard louis is very good. He does fall off a bit towards the end when enemies start getting effective weapons, there's more enemy mages, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bond 10 Sigurd will give lance users +atk while using a lance and Brave Lance , hence why Armor Knight Sigurd doesn't fall off like you'd think it would.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

So is Rosado an Est or are his bases bad or is he just as good as his growths look.

hes a prepromote

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Does forging weapons let you name them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Absolutely don't play on normal, hard mode will take a lot of resets at first but you'll get used to the flow. The biggest downgrade is no future forecast for combat and arrow telling which enemy hits which character, so if you relied on that, welp now it's gone.
wait a minute why is this gone???

intsys please that was literally the best change 3H made

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Amppelix posted:

lol, i regularly use the charges for things like forgetting to equip a slightly more optimal weapon for enemy phase or failed EXP optimization

I have 100% rewound time to undo a crit because I wanted to soften an enemy up for someone else to get the exp, not kill them outright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

wait a minute why is this gone???

intsys please that was literally the best change 3H made
imo it was slightly too strong honestly i get changing it. having to account for multiple possibilities is more fun than just knowing everyone's gonna target dedue for some reason

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can you buy dlc separately? I might grab wave 1, doubt I'll still play this by the time the rest comes out though so the season pass seems pointless.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Any special title screens or unlocks for beating on maddening? I think 3 houses had a different menu screen after beating maddening.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chloe support spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfAWHHVz50

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

imo it was slightly too strong honestly i get changing it. having to account for multiple possibilities is more fun than just knowing everyone's gonna target dedue for some reason

Depends on if there's a way to still at least see all threat ranges when you make a move. Though honestly I'd prefer that be it's own difficulty option, more modular difficulty is good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

the main thing ill say is that armor knights are probably slightly too good. they dont completely break the game but they make engaging (heh) with difficult enemy formations way simpler, and for most of the midgame enemy damage, while high, doesnt inflate fast enough to keep up with armor knights absurd defense. and if you get into abusing tonics that problem probably worsens. ive yet to see how they fare on maddening though, but at least on hard louis is very good. He does fall off a bit towards the end when enemies start getting effective weapons, there's more enemy mages, etc.

Honestly 100% fine with this because armors have been underpowered in FE for quite a long time, mostly because they have bad move and move is king. That sounds like it's no longer the case and sending a high mobility unit out into the breech is far more likely to get them ganged up on and killed.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm about 20 hours in on Maddening/Classic according to my save. It starts pretty rough and you need to rely on the lone Armored unit you get for the first few chapters to wall or have Alear/a thief evade tank. There's a set of battles that I beleive are going to cause people to the lower the difficulty or switch to Casual because of the threat of units getting perma'd. Those encounters took me 5 resets because you lose the ability to rewind among other things so your army is at its weakest it has been for hours. Also skirmishes won't have unlocked at that point so no grinding your way out of it. :unsmigghh:

Skirmishes unlock right after those set of consecutive battles. The very first skirmish beat my rear end in because your army is split in the battle and you are still mechanically recovering from what happened in the story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's weird, skirmishes unlock in like chapter 6 on hard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm an FE noob but I'm really enjoying this so far. The story/characters/dialogue is all incredibly obnoxious and seemingly for insane people/children so I'm pretty checked out, but the actual battles are awesome (Hard feels really good). The Job system they added is really cool and I'm already cooking up some builds that involve a bunch of cross-inheritance.

I've been pretty unimpressed with magic users/archers just because they die so fast so I basically have to play them far back, but by the time I can safely bring them in to engage, my front liners have already basically wiped everyone out.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Tae posted:

I think skirmishes are tied to real life time like in Awakening ie every day it spawns a couple. THough i haven't heard of a way to force a spawn in Engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tae posted:

I did not get the Skirmish tutorial popup until immediately after chapter 10+11 so it might be different based on difficulty or I just had bad luck