Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Congrats Das Boo!!!!!!! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Das Boo posted:

I took your good lucks and got the Helluva Boss gig. :yaycat:

What are you doing on the show :aaa:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ayyyy congrats!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Raaaaaaad :thurman:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Congratulations!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
So cool. Congrats!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thank y'all!

Macaluso posted:

What are you doing on the show :aaa:

Just layout BGs, as is my usual.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever I see "layout drawing by _____" in an Art Of book it's guaranteed to be one of my favorite things in the book

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

This rocks.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Das Boo posted:

Congratulations! Look forward to seeing your work!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Das Boo posted:

Hell yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Helluva Gig

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Helluva Boo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Congratulations! Say hi to Loona for me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SimonChris posted:

One of my favorite aspects of Neo Yokio is how the "antagonist" - who is the Most Eligible Bachelor of Neo Yokio - is blatantly flirting with the protagonist all the time, but he is too dumb to realize it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp841DIrtAQ

Alright, you've convinced me to watch Neo Yokio, I hope these two kiss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Das Boo posted:

holy poo poo congrats. give us anything interesting news and poo poo when you can, obviously barring NDA stuff or at least merch drops.

i got my comssion in the mail.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Heck yeah! Congratulations!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright, you've convinced me to watch Neo Yokio, I hope these two kiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eObC0aDPE0w

Edit: "HOW DO YOU EVEN CALCULATE THE VALUE OF MUSIC!?!"

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Hell yeah!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

SimonChris posted:

One of my favorite aspects of Neo Yokio is how the "antagonist" - who is the Most Eligible Bachelor of Neo Yokio - is blatantly flirting with the protagonist all the time, but he is too dumb to realize it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp841DIrtAQ

did the italian guy just shout "MAMMA MIA" as the cars hit the road? and is the main character in a USSR car? lmao

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

did the italian guy just shout "MAMMA MIA" as the cars hit the road? and is the main character in a USSR car? lmao

I didn’t even watch the clip and I know that’s exactly what happened.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I binged Neo Yokio thanks to this thread. Show is very good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

I LOVE SPORTS!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JosefStalinator posted:

It’s on Netflix right

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Or maybe I'm just reading a deeper meaning into Em Malley poetry, idk. Either way I thought it was funny,

Thank you for introducing me to Ern Malley. I just read The Darkening Ecliptic, and those are some surprisingly great, deliberately bad poems. I would have totally fallen for that.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 20, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s on Netflix right

It is!

It definitely requires taste that really likes deadpan humor. Virtually all the jokes are just people making statements/observations that are absurd and calling out some societal ill or norm, but presented as perfectly normal.

But then there's also the vaping judge guy voiced by steve buscemi and that had me laughing pretty hard.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Flopsy posted:

Takes skill to be so loving hateful you manage to piss everybody and everything off. I just watched a video review for Velma btw and Jesus loving Christ. Velma is in fact racist as poo poo and every other line is chunkily explaining things to the audience like we're braindead meat with eyes who can't grasp these higher truths she's spinning for us. Also i don't know if this has been discussed but there's something about the art style that makes all the characters look kinda of sharp and unhinged. Like they're one step away from violence which I guess most of them are?

I saw reviews of the first two episodes of Velma that included lengthy clips of each episode in each review, and hooooo boy oh boy oh boy. :stare: What a massively unclever show. I know people have commented on its meanspiritedness & racist tendencies too, but those would have been :rolleyes:-worthy rather than cringe & grating if the show were even just a little clever.

The "jokes" were nonsensical references and/or childish and/or dated, with the exception of one funny bit that they ran into the ground Velma going "drugs! get your drugs here!" and being super obvious about dealing was funny the first time. The characters were basically unrecognizable, and making Shaggy vehemently anti-weed wasn't nearly as clever as they thought it was (much like every god drat thing else about the show), especially since as far as I know the original Shaggy was never canonically a stoner.

The animation style is meh, I'm not the kind of person that really cares/notices unless the animation is unbelievably bad or cheap-looking, but either way the animation is one of the least bad things about it.

edit: Many congrats to Das Boo :)

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 20, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

The "jokes" were nonsensical references and/or childish and/or dated, with the exception of one funny bit that they ran into the ground Velma going "drugs! get your drugs here!" and being super obvious about dealing was funny the first time. The characters were basically unrecognizable, and making Shaggy vehemently anti-weed wasn't nearly as clever as they thought it was (much like every god drat thing else about the show), especially since as far as I know the original Shaggy was never canonically a stoner.

Yeah, Shaggy smoking weed was a well-mined vein of standup comics, I think starting in the 90's.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Congrats Boo! Wishing you all the best with it!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw reviews of the first two episodes of Velma that included lengthy clips of each episode in each review, and hooooo boy oh boy oh boy. :stare: What a massively unclever show. I know people have commented on its meanspiritedness & racist tendencies too, but those would have been :rolleyes:-worthy rather than cringe & grating if the show were even just a little clever.

The animation style is meh, I'm not the kind of person that really cares/notices unless the animation is unbelievably bad or cheap-looking, but either way the animation is one of the least bad things about it.

edit: Many congrats to Das Boo :)

Tragedy is there are moments of smooth excellent animation in there especially during the hallucination scenes. They're just not implemented very well so it feels like a waste. It really does feel like the Mindy show where she's portraying the character as her own personal author avatar. There are in fact aspects that would've been cool if they hadn't gone all in with the usual bullshit. A Nancy Drew-esque lead trying to solve the mystery of her missing mother in addition to several murders she's being falsely blamed for would be cool. It's just been done like...well...this. All the neat aspects get drowned out over how loving unlikable everyone is. Newgrounds has more cutting edge humor than this poo poo for goodness sakes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

While discussing scooby doo I didn’t like that they started Shaggy eating meat again (this was pre-Velma) once Lillard took over. They only did it to placate Casey but it was actually an interesting note that he was both a tireless glutton and had dietary restrictions, just like the fact that he and scoob are huge cowards but always the first ones to be placed in danger plus it made a lot of sense for the character: his best friends an animal!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

While discussing scooby doo I didn’t like that they started Shaggy eating meat again (this was pre-Velma) once Lillard took over. They only did it to placate Casey but it was actually an interesting note that he was both a tireless glutton and had dietary restrictions, just like the fact that he and scoob are huge cowards but always the first ones to be placed in danger plus it made a lot of sense for the character: his best friends an animal!

Kasem really only convinced producers to make Shaggy a Vegetarian in 2002 so it seems a more flexible thing. Also no, it doesn't make a lot of sense especially because Scooby couldn't have those same diet restrictions so they'd not be able to share all their meals as they so often do (it's probably weirder that Scooby eats the stuff he does without getting sick but chalk that up to cartoon logic more than anything else).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah from what I recall Casey Kasem pushed for Shaggy to be vegetarian as a condition for him to agree to voice Shaggy on the more heavy schedule that What's New Scooby-Doo would demand compared to how for the past 15 or so years he had only been doing the role on an infrequent basis for movies and tv specials

And of course the implication that Kasem would be willing to leave a big role for moral reasons had backing, as can be seen with him leaving his roles on Transformers back in the 80's over the "Karbomya" fiasco, so it was pretty easy to see why WB accepted the request(particularly since all it really meant in the final product was him not mentioning meat as ingredients in his wacky meals or showing meat as an ingredient in them for the most part)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

And of course the implication that Kasem would be willing to leave a big role for moral reasons had backing, as can be seen with him leaving his roles on Transformers back in the 80's over the "Karbomya" fiasco, so it was pretty easy to see why WB accepted the request(particularly since all it really meant in the final product was him not mentioning meat as ingredients in his wacky meals or showing meat as an ingredient in them for the most part)

It was such a stupid joke.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

It was such a stupid joke.

There was a lot more casual racism in animation back then. But he was unique in calling it out way before most would've recognized how lovely that was. There's a lot of stuff I enjoyed in my youth that's kinda cringe looking back on now, but that's normal I think. Worst for me is Ace Ventura Pet Detective and the big "twist" at the end.

edit: Hell I even found a segment on how ridiculous it stayed even into the the 80's. Not to say there weren't similar things int the 90's but the last one is a doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCslIs6juK8

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 21, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Worst for me is Ace Ventura Pet Detective and the big "twist" at the end.

Haven’t seen it, lay that cringe poo poo on me my dude. A cursory Google didn’t pop anything up, though the movies aren’t helping there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Haven’t seen it, lay that cringe poo poo on me my dude. A cursory Google didn’t pop anything up, though the movies aren’t helping there.

Generally transphobic stuff

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The entire plot, the whole mystery of the first Ace Ventura movie, hinges on one, big, transphobic reveal.

And the second movie is just really racist.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

The dolphin kidnapper is a trans woman who used to be a football player. She's portrayed as crazier than a poo poo house rat and apparently loving the entire police force who strangely remain ignorant to her situation until Ace rips her pants off and shames her in front of all of them. There's also an extended sequence of Ace freaking out about it and attempting to sanitize himself and all his clothing by setting them on fire because she kissed him earlier. Not even sex or anything but apparently a trans woman is meant to be the most revolting thing in existence apparently.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I had a history class with a trans professor and as people were leaving, I heard one student saying the "Einhorn is Finkle and Finkle is Einhorn" line from the movie