Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

From a hobbyist perspective, Gaslands is cheap as you want it to be, since you can use inexpensive diecast cars and cereal box to make templates, or crank it up any wild amount you want to spend

From a gaming perspective, Gaslands is relatively simple and intuitive. Things usually work the way you think they would, even if some things like collisions and reversing have a few edge cases. It is marginally more complex than you might imagine and might dissuade a complete beginner. Based on what you said, I think you'd be fine, since you're learning MtG which is loads more complicated.

The game is not perfect and might not live up to any real competitive crunch. The push-you-luck aspect does occasionally create feelbads by losing actions, and if you play with audience votes, respawns can make the game take forever. There's a thousand nitpicks, but it's the adult-ified Matchbox cars smashing into each other in the playground sand except with guns, guns, and more guns. I really like it and think it's a great choice for anyone who wants an inexpensive miniature hobbies project and occasional game.

I think it's worth a try, since at most you'd be out $50 with enough to try it out, so long as you don't mind driving around the pepper pot. If you get it, find Gaslands Refuelled, which is a revised edition with several balance changes and content from several free PDFs, and some other stuff like ramps.

This is super helpful, thanks. I think I will try it. In the worst case I'll have fun kitbashing cars. As a side note: I have a little nephew (around 10 and fairly bright) who I bet would get a kick out of Gaslands. Is it simple enough for them (or possible to simplify the rules)?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5206/ogre This one?

Leperflesh posted:

is tabletop skirmish cool? Would you like Frostgrave, for example? It's not what I'd call "a wargame" but it's a minis fighting battle game played with a combo of wizards, supporting fighting people, and some terrain. Kitchen table is big enough. Rules are a book, use any minis you have at hand that can approximate "wazzards" and "fightey folks" and you're set.

Skirmish is absolutely cool yeah. I'll check it out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mellonbread posted:

I love it when a game tells me it's perfect the way it is and I'm not allowed to houserule it.

You and what army, buddy?

TBH I don't even agree that much with the notion that AW GMs should follow the rules strictly. AW's chapter on GMing starts out with agenda rather than rules, and I've never had trouble with any AW GM who engaged in good faith with that agenda. Even ones who gently caress up the stated rules all the time (like me) tend to get pretty good results. As long as the GM is dancing with the players rather than deliberately trying to trip them it works.

The strict element of the GM rules is almost more like training wheels. Like having training wheels that fall off easily is bad training wheels.

a7m2 posted:

What are some wargames with simple or simplified rules that are still fun for someone new to wargaming? I've got plenty of models from various games and a 3D printer, so the type of model doesn't matter much. This is for someone who just started getting into nerd stuff like board games and MtG. Preferably a skirmish or low model count game initially.

Its a little tricky because even very simple wargames tend to involve some huge twist that makes them massively complex at some point. SAGA is a good example - all of the core rules are very simple, but if you let yourself think too hard about the complexity of the faction boards you can make your brain melt. Like you can make a saga army list on a napkin in 5 minutes, that's an explicit game design choice, but there's a lot of complexity backloaded onto "what moves are Irish units allowed to do" Which if you don't think too hard about and just try to engage with them directly it isn't bad, but if you're like me and your first thought on what to do with a game is put it into a spreadsheet you can screw yourself.

Conquest: First Blood is another example where everything about the game is pretty comprehensible, up until the very moment you compare its deployment rules to any other game and while its not hard to understand, it is a mind-gently caress.

I think the simplest wargame at a skirmish level now that I'm thinking about is probably Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

a7m2 posted:

This is super helpful, thanks. I think I will try it. In the worst case I'll have fun kitbashing cars. As a side note: I have a little nephew (around 10 and fairly bright) who I bet would get a kick out of Gaslands. Is it simple enough for them (or possible to simplify the rules)?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5206/ogre This one?

Skirmish is absolutely cool yeah. I'll check it out, thanks.

I have a nephew who's around 6 I played it with once and he seemed to grasp it pretty well, so I think a 10 year old could absolutely play it. I've been trying to find people to play it locally, but I keep buying more and more cars. (There's a neat place not far form where I live that sells models, including maybe 100s of different matchbox and hotwheel cars, including a bunch of tv show and movie cars)

Also there's places online where you can get the dice and neat accessories (weapons, rams) on Etsy for not too expensive (or you can probibly find STLs for your printer somewhere) I just use the printed free templetes, but you can get better templetes as well.

I recently got some mario kart hotwheels cars and made some item tokens (reskinning items from gaslands) for a mario kart version, but I havn't gotten a chance to play it yet.

I have a lot of fantasy minitures and would be interested in a game that's like gaslands where it's just a book and you supply your own minitures, and preferably one I can play single payer (enemy movement procedures of some kind), i don't know if that sort of game exists, I don't think any of the suggestions so far matches that.

E: My Collection:

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

a7m2 posted:

I have not played with anyone other than a gamer adult, so I'm just spitballing. There are some slightly complex stuff you can't avoid like collisions, reversing, activations, and to a certain extent "facing" for weapons etc. But the more complicated rules are things you can choose to play with or without. Advanced weaponry like dropped weapons and weird scifi tech are not too bad, but then there are Sponsors that add skills to give to cars skills and abilities, scenarios to have different goals and effects which can include Audience votes which are additional abilities accessible to everyone if the audience likes you.

You could start small, just cars shooting each other with front-facing guns to get down the rules, then add more complicated modules either in the form of weapons or in the form of a simple scenario, etc, to try and feel out the complexity they can handle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Yes, this game has been around since the 70s and is a high-tech army with hovercraft and powered armor infantry versus one cybertank and it's a fair fight.

Uses 1D6 and an odds-based Combat Results Table. It is very simple and I spent a large portion of my high school lunch periods in the late-70s playing this and Melee/Wizard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

a7m2 posted:

What are some wargames with simple or simplified rules that are still fun for someone new to wargaming? I've got plenty of models from various games and a 3D printer, so the type of model doesn't matter much. This is for someone who just started getting into nerd stuff like board games and MtG. Preferably a skirmish or low model count game initially.

Check out One Page Rules, they've got rules for sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

S.J. posted:

Check out One Page Rules, they've got rules for sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

I was looking at this, and does the game assume you're going to use their specific units (either their minis or proxies)? Because it feels very fixed in terms of loadouts (shields are baked-in without mention in the statblock of units with shields). Maybe I'm not understanding the rules, but I was hoping it'd be something I could build units around the figures I have, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Like if I have a character with a single one-hand weapon and no shield, what would be the cost difference to reduce DF by 1? I know there's a unit calculator in the patreon but I'm not ready to invest in it yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Foolster41 posted:

I was looking at this, and does the game assume you're going to use their specific units (either their minis or proxies)? Because it feels very fixed in terms of loadouts (shields are baked-in without mention in the statblock of units with shields). Maybe I'm not understanding the rules, but I was hoping it'd be something I could build units around the figures I have, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Like if I have a character with a single one-hand weapon and no shield, what would be the cost difference to reduce DF by 1? I know there's a unit calculator in the patreon but I'm not ready to invest in it yet.

No, the system is miniature agnostic. Generally if you're trying to keep things the correct base size and look close enough then that's all that matters.

Like you said you can grab the calculator to get really granular but as long as it doesn't bother you that things aren't always 1:1 then it's fine

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 19, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Foolster41 posted:

I have a lot of fantasy minitures and would be interested in a game that's like gaslands where it's just a book and you supply your own minitures, and preferably one I can play single payer (enemy movement procedures of some kind), i don't know if that sort of game exists, I don't think any of the suggestions so far matches that.
Five Leagues from the Borderlands.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Foolster41 posted:

I have a nephew who's around 6 I played it with once and he seemed to grasp it pretty well, so I think a 10 year old could absolutely play it. I've been trying to find people to play it locally, but I keep buying more and more cars. (There's a neat place not far form where I live that sells models, including maybe 100s of different matchbox and hotwheel cars, including a bunch of tv show and movie cars)

Also there's places online where you can get the dice and neat accessories (weapons, rams) on Etsy for not too expensive (or you can probibly find STLs for your printer somewhere) I just use the printed free templetes, but you can get better templetes as well.

I recently got some mario kart hotwheels cars and made some item tokens (reskinning items from gaslands) for a mario kart version, but I havn't gotten a chance to play it yet.

man I used to have a whole bag of matchbox and hot wheels as a kid

they're in a landfill somewhere now...I have only 6 now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Father Wendigo posted:

Do you know how difficult it is to come up with stats that start with Y?? :mad:

Yntelligence.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Father Wendigo posted:

Yoked
Yonder
Yiddish

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yin/Yang
Youth
Yield
Yearning
Yack

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
YOLO (initiative stat)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Affability
Balance
Curiosity
Xxx
Yikes
Zoinks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

Yoked
Yonder
Yiddish
Rarely is Yiddish a main stat, but ehh... could be!

e: Ganefs & Gelt

I'm not sure what a good euphony would be in actual Hebrew, though.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 19, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Yiff

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yes, this game has been around since the 70s and is a high-tech army with hovercraft and powered armor infantry versus one cybertank and it's a fair fight.

Uses 1D6 and an odds-based Combat Results Table. It is very simple and I spent a large portion of my high school lunch periods in the late-70s playing this and Melee/Wizard.

Same here. It's got fantastic replay value in a very small package. What I want SJG to do is put out a non-deluxe Ogre/GEV set. The GEV side is two conventional forces facing off, with optional Ogres. I stupidly lent out my collection of the originals, and the used market is absurdly high.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yodelling: 420 :angel:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nessus posted:

Rarely is Yiddish a main stat, but ehh... could be!

e: Ganefs & Gelt

I'm not sure what a good euphony would be in actual Hebrew, though.

My mind is ablaze with the potentials for a game where Yiddish is a main stat. None of which I will put into practice.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tulip posted:

My mind is ablaze with the potentials for a game where Yiddish is a main stat. None of which I will put into practice.

How about Ytalian? Think of the pastabilities!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mllaneza posted:

Same here. It's got fantastic replay value in a very small package. What I want SJG to do is put out a non-deluxe Ogre/GEV set. The GEV side is two conventional forces facing off, with optional Ogres. I stupidly lent out my collection of the originals, and the used market is absurdly high.

They actually did do reprints of the old Pocket Box editions of OGRE and GEV a bit ago(alongside a bunch of their other old games in that format), though at the moment the former doesn't seem to be available by itself on their store, only if you buy it as part of the Ogre Pocket Box Bundle they have which is still a pretty reasonable price just not quite an impulse buy like getting just Ogre or GEV by themselves

They're apparently going to do another Kickstarter for the Pocket Box line down the road(since I guess they didn't get everything the first time around) and yeah I'm probably going to end up spending a lot of money when that happens

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drrockso20 posted:

They actually did do reprints of the old Pocket Box editions of OGRE and GEV a bit ago(alongside a bunch of their other old games in that format), though at the moment the former doesn't seem to be available by itself on their store, only if you buy it as part of the Ogre Pocket Box Bundle they have which is still a pretty reasonable price just not quite an impulse buy like getting just Ogre or GEV by themselves

They're apparently going to do another Kickstarter for the Pocket Box line down the road(since I guess they didn't get everything the first time around) and yeah I'm probably going to end up spending a lot of money when that happens
They did a black-and-white ziploc reprint of the original (Metagaming) Ogre minigame as part of the deluxe Designer Edition kickstarter and they sold it through retail. I grabbed a copy when I saw it.

Seems to be long OOP, only available on eBay and the like.

Official link: https://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/pocketogre/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

They did a black-and-white ziploc reprint of the original (Metagaming) Ogre minigame as part of the deluxe Designer Edition kickstarter and they sold it through retail. I grabbed a copy when I saw it.

I have my original battered copy of that ordered from the back of Popular Computing in 1977. I think it was Popular Computing at least?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FMguru posted:

Yeah I have a copy of that version lying around, kind of shows exactly why Steve Jackson is one of the big names in the industry, not many people come swinging out the gates with a masterpiece like Ogre, particularly one that still holds up to this day

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
All the early Metagames Microgames were fantastic. OGRE, Melee, Chitin I, Warp War, Rivets (which was a parody of OGRE but also a fantastic little game), Wizard (Melee and Wizard were the foundation that GURPS was built on). They fell off in quality in the 80s, but they were all at least interesting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yolo
Yeet
Yinz

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yonic Imagery

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Been playing Quest Calendar 2023 and just got out of the prologue, I rather like this, anyone else playing it?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I remember them announcing that Chitin I was just a mini-game preview of what was to be a larger system entitled Hymenoptera, named after the order that includes ants, bees, and wasps. I wish they'd printed that; Chitin I was a fun little game and the world had a lot of potential.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Has anyone tried Alchemy VTT yet? Anything special vs foundry?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Skyl3lazer posted:

Has anyone tried Alchemy VTT yet? Anything special vs foundry?

Based on the screenshots on their webpage, it seems it is a VTT without a map? That's actually a potentially interesting idea, but not ideal for D&D.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hyphz posted:

Based on the screenshots on their webpage, it seems it is a VTT without a map? That's actually a potentially interesting idea, but not ideal for D&D.

Supposedly it's mean to "support 5e" and associated characters I just don't see any examples of it doing that anywhere lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I remember them announcing that Chitin I was just a mini-game preview of what was to be a larger system entitled Hymenoptera, named after the order that includes ants, bees, and wasps. I wish they'd printed that; Chitin I was a fun little game and the world had a lot of potential.

Chitin I had art by Jennell Jaquays, who did a lot of stuff for Judges' Guild (including Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia) which, at the time, were amazing products and then went into video games where she worked on stuff like Quake 2 and III and Age of Empires.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Been playing Quest Calendar 2023 and just got out of the prologue, I rather like this, anyone else playing it?

Been playing their calendar games now in its third year. Had some criticisms with the structure during year 2 and about how the entire game is structured with its death-spiral in year 1. I really hope the new setting and spaceships mechanics won't eff everything up even more because its still basically a dnd-in-space-game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr.Misfit posted:

Been playing their calendar games now in its third year. Had some criticisms with the structure during year 2 and about how the entire game is structured with its death-spiral in year 1. I really hope the new setting and spaceships mechanics won't eff everything up even more because its still basically a dnd-in-space-game.

This is my first time playing any calendar game so the charm hasn't worn off for me yet, and I prefer scifi over fantasy so this works for me

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
What's the best way to play Battle Century G in a VTT these days, still roll20?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you for all the very helpful recommendations! I'm checking out Gaslands, One Page Rules' games, Frostgrave (maybe Stargrave too), and Ogre.

Foolster41 posted:

Just finished my first car yesterday
Before:

After:

I LOVE the Mario Kart idea.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

What's the best way to play Battle Century G in a VTT these days, still roll20?

Unless you want to code up a Foundy module for it, r20 is basically your only option, yeah. There's a pre-made character sheet but all it has are macro buttons for rolling attributes (at least this means it's not incompatible with the BCGR changes, I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unless you want to code up a Foundy module for it, r20 is basically your only option, yeah. There's a pre-made character sheet but all it has are macro buttons for rolling attributes (at least this means it's not incompatible with the BCGR changes, I guess).

Figured, but I just wanted to confirm it. Thanks