Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
nah it's just weird real time progression, I think it's like one pops every 24~ hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

imo it was slightly too strong honestly i get changing it. having to account for multiple possibilities is more fun than just knowing everyone's gonna target dedue for some reason
i guess. like eimi i wish it was an option at least, it was great for stupid people like me who regularly miss holes in their formation

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gyoru posted:

I'm about 20 hours in on Maddening/Classic according to my save. It starts pretty rough and you need to rely on the lone Armored unit you get for the first few chapters to wall or have Alear/a thief evade tank. There's a set of battles that I beleive are going to cause people to the lower the difficulty or switch to Casual because of the threat of units getting perma'd. Those encounters took me 5 resets because you lose the ability to rewind among other things so your army is at its weakest it has been for hours. Also skirmishes won't have unlocked at that point so no grinding your way out of it. :unsmigghh:

Skirmishes unlock right after those set of consecutive battles. The very first skirmish beat my rear end in because your army is split in the battle and you are still mechanically recovering from what happened in the story.

How is it compared to like Conquest Lunatic or 3H Maddening?

I'm debating whether to start on Maddening now simply because there's no route split so I'm unsure if I'm going to play more than once.

And my frame of reference is that Conquest Lunatic is the least fun thing in the world that almost killed my interest in Fire Emblem and 3H Maddening is probably some of the most fun I've ever had playing an SRPG.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh speaking of options, can you still only adjust the difficulty downwards during a playthrough

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

i guess. like eimi i wish it was an option at least, it was great for stupid people like me who regularly miss holes in their formation

It's not even just that, it's the Falcon Knight with 9 move and a Spear that got reinforced last turn. You move something and suddenly there's a fuckoff glowing trail from half the map across and you don't get gotcha'd by a unit you literally can't see on screen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From what I've seen in gameplay footage, the lines are still there, they just don't tell you exactly who will get attacked. They show you which enemies a character is in range of. Triangle Strategy does the same thing.

So you'd still see a line when you're moving a unit into an enemy's range, it just doesn't mean they're the unit who'll be targeted. They're basically threat lines rather than perfect targeting predictors.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

From what I've seen in gameplay footage, the lines are still there, they just don't tell you exactly who will get attacked. They show you which enemies a character is in range of. Triangle Strategy does the same thing.

So you'd still see a line when you're moving a unit into an enemy's range, it just doesn't mean they're the unit who'll be targeted. They're basically threat lines rather than perfect targeting predictors.

Oh that's fine then. I retract my statement.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

I prefer this because in my experience the lines in 3H would lie a lot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Another unit I'm unsure of is Yukana. Poison still isn't great, and having no primary weapon break ability in a game that's greatly based around them seems iffy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That’s how it works. When you put your cursor over a guy it shows you which enemies are all in range, but in my experience they seem to attack whichever unit they’ll do the most damage to.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Another unit I'm unsure of is Yukana. Poison still isn't great, and having no primary weapon break ability in a game that's greatly based around them seems iffy.

jokes on you she's actually one of the best

weapon break is more of a big deal done to you, making the enemy phase a dogpile. her dangers being ranged means she can get by on it and usually dodge tank everything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When does this unlock?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When does this unlock?

Usually the first midnight in whatever country you're in. So in the U.S. midnight EST etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is kinda finicky in my experience, with Three Hopes it refused to unlock well past 9PM on the west coast and eventually I had to switch my console time to EST and do a full power cycle for it to recognize the game should be unlocked and let me launch it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tae posted:

Thieves are amazing. They can dodge tank + ranged counter when in favorable terrain. I had her fend off an entire front (4+ melee enemies) by herself. The other thief that joins has an even better passive

Bosses are immune to Break status on Maddening and maybe Hard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't had any luck with a dodge tank, but maybe that's the one niche of Micaiah's otherwise bleh weapon blessing?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

LET'S loving GOOOO

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
So is the story is at least as simple as Path of Radiance or more a Dragon Quest level here? I really liked 3H so I'm warily the story has moved to a children's level basic.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

So is the story is at least as simple as Path of Radiance or more a Dragon Quest level here? I really liked 3H so I'm warily the story has moved to a children's level basic.
dragon quest

incompetent, but well meaning :) protagonist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

the game still has arrows it just shows you when you're moving a character into range of an enemy. when you're moving a unit around a red line will appear from an enemy when the move would make them able to attack you.

enemies generally have the same priorities as other games. either doing the most possible damage or setting up for a kill for a different enemy.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i came down with covid last night after doing so good avoiding it. i hope my brain is sufficiently defogged by tomorrow so i can enjoy this anime rear end game.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

its time to engage

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So does the game confirm if Clanne and Framme are Vander's adoptive kids or niece and nephew or what

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Party Miser posted:

i came down with covid last night after doing so good avoiding it. i hope my brain is sufficiently defogged by tomorrow so i can enjoy this anime rear end game.

Honestly, it might feel like a feverish experience even without covid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

So does the game confirm if Clanne and Framme are Vander's adoptive kids or niece and nephew or what
pretty sure hes their uncle yeah. he mentions their parents entrusting them to him but they also talk about them like they're alive, and vander mentions he has no kids of their own. so likely vander was the elder kid, got the divine dragon guard duty, and then with no kids of his own his sibling's kids became his apprentices.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay fine, i'll buy this game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Second Seal options for obvious targets: Clanne/Anna, but otherwise it's kinda hard to justify using them? Even sword soldiers have value because they promote into heroes which have better passives than a sword peg.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Lapis, if you don't wanna reclass her, really has to go Hero (axe variation) if you don't wanna double up on classes, huh? Cuz Goldmary already has Hero (lance variation) and Kagetsu has Swordmaster.

It's weird that they re-combined Myrmidon and Mercenary for this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jean is kinda constrained by being a healer if you want him to throw his stats around. still not sure on how his skill works but his growths seem better than cyril's and also i think he has like a 25% build growth and fists are really light.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 20, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

if you forge your fists into +2 for some reason then go from doing 0 damage to doing 11-16 and that's excluding x2, so that's a good investment

i think there might have been a typo on the standard ones

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

jean is kinda constrained by being a healer if you want him to throw his stats around. still not sure on how his skill works but his growths seem better than cyril's and also i think he has like a 25% build growth and fists are really light.

Jean's stats are good enough you can kinda throw his stats at anything and he seems to work out. I'm making mine a Swordmaster because the idea of this british doctor kid turning into a katana master amuses me. I think he's probably the best person in the game to go Martial Master though, and since that class seems to be the only one that gets S rank martial arts that might be useful somehow?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm playing now and is there really no soft reset button combo...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Very initial thoughts.

gently caress me the combat forecast is terrible

Like it's real difficult to see what's actually happening in combat. I don't know why its been relegated to a tiny portion of the bottom of the screen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh. there's a retry button in the system menu. that helps lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Very initial thoughts.

gently caress me the combat forecast is terrible

Like it's real difficult to see what's actually happening in combat. I don't know why its been relegated to a tiny portion of the bottom of the screen.

idk it seems extremely straightforward to me, way better than 3h's. you can easily see the hit rates and the damage numbers and it accounts for stuff like break, skills, etc.

main thing i have a problem with ui-wise is its kinda hard to see exact stats in combat but it shows the actually practical final numbers so w/e, i get it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah it's weird how the game refuses to tell you what actual weapon stats are and just gives you the difference from your current equipment. you could show both of these, it wouldn't be that confusing, i promise!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Lapis, if you don't wanna reclass her, really has to go Hero (axe variation) if you don't wanna double up on classes, huh? Cuz Goldmary already has Hero (lance variation) and Kagetsu has Swordmaster.

It's weird that they re-combined Myrmidon and Mercenary for this.

Eh, myrmidon/mercenary were always just basically the same thing anyway only myrms got to be worse most of the time by being more min/maxed with less strength and overkill speed/skill, if this game just gives you a big old list of master classes based on your weapon proficiency to promote to having having both just seems silly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

idk it seems extremely straightforward to me, way better than 3h's. you can easily see the hit rates and the damage numbers and it accounts for stuff like break, skills, etc.

main thing i have a problem with ui-wise is its kinda hard to see exact stats in combat but it shows the actually practical final numbers so w/e, i get it

The main problem is the numbers are loving tiny, where in 3H damage/hit/crit were loving gigantic. This time I have a massive portrait of Alear where I could have combat info instead.

Also the combat forecast is annoying with the break system because I consistently think I'm going to take counter damage when the break will stop it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

The main problem is the numbers are loving tiny, where in 3H damage/hit/crit were loving gigantic. This time I have a massive portrait of Alear where I could have combat info instead.

Also the combat forecast is annoying with the break system because I consistently think I'm going to take counter damage when the break will stop it.

it still says it because you can miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gamerofthegame posted:

it still says it because you can miss

Yeah I get why. It's just rusing me at the moment because I'm not used to it.