Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you all ganging up trying to tell me a lot of these firings are the correct thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fire every coach

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fire every coach

Not Andy

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao teppers wife didn’t complete the online training module.

https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/1616229876201037824?s=46&t=RadD34nNsH7p6s6k5EfAeA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

aren't they supposed to have personal assistants for this bullshit. what's even the point of marrying a billionaire if you have to do your own online training modules

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ben Johnson heard they hadn't completed the inclusive hiring module and noped the gently caress outta there.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I kinda understand the Steelers keeping Matt Canada on board. The team clearly played a lot better toward the end of the season, even if it was a defense first team. If Pickett is comfortable with him, there's probably some value in not putting him in a system carousel early in his career. If there's no improvement, there will still be a million coordinators available next year too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that first game hosed the steelers out of the playoffs. not just because of the injury to watt but because it made them a little bit confident in mitch. if it didn't then nvm. just kidding

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I can only hope the NFL inclusivity online training module includes a re-enactment of the “too hip hop” and “is your mom a prostitute?” remarks fading into black and white with a 3D red X before you get your multiple choice question.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

King Hong Kong posted:

I can only hope the NFL inclusivity online training module includes a re-enactment of the “too hip hop” and “is your mom a prostitute?” remarks fading into black and white with a 3D red X before you get your multiple choice question.

It does, but somehow they're still the most popular options.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

The entire training is just "If there are cameras around pretend to care. And don't say the n-word in front of reporters or in emails. Click here to print your certificate."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King Hong Kong posted:

*Mike Tomlin walks into frame, spins a chair around and sits in it backwards facing the viewer.*

So. Can anybody tell us what Jeff did wrong there.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Blind Pineapple posted:

I kinda understand the Steelers keeping Matt Canada on board. The team clearly played a lot better toward the end of the season, even if it was a defense first team. If Pickett is comfortable with him, there's probably some value in not putting him in a system carousel early in his career. If there's no improvement, there will still be a million coordinators available next year too.

They scored 30 points once all year and only twice in his two years as OC (both losses). They scored less than 20 in 4 of the last 6 games against the absolute dregs of the league. They scored almost the same as the team that started Mason and Duck all year long that had significantly less offensive skill talent. The offense has been near the bottom of the league in yards, points, and explosive plays both of his years. Multiple times it's been reported that defensive players are calling out the plays before they happen. They haven't had 400 yards of offense game in the last two years (in the afc north alone this year the bengals did it 6 times and the browns and ravens 4 times each). At the start of games when there's a script in place they're the absolute worst scoring 8 TDs in 35 first quarters under him.

He's had one good season in his entire career as an OC and that was at Pitt in 2016. Other than that he's also been by and large a horrible OC in the college game as well. He has zero business whatsoever in the NFL.

There is not a single valid argument for keeping him in any capacity. The closest one is 'You don't want your young QB to have to learn a new offense!' but gently caress that. I'd rather him learn a new one now that's worth a poo poo than have to learn a new one in 2024 because this one doesn't have a chance in hell of working out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fire every coach

No gods, no masters. Only player coaches

This is the secret Brady uses to play into his 70s

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Darth Brooks posted:

The scheme Ed Donatell brought in MIGHT work as part of a grander design IF you had the players for it and you weren't trying to use it all the time for all circumstances. It wasn't the complete defense he thought it was and it didn't suite the strengths of the players at all. Minnesota had a lot of big, strong corners that he had play ten yards off the ball. WR's would run short routes or use those ten yards to get up to speed and blow past Minnesota's corners.

Knowing that the players he had didn't fit the scheme he absolutely refused to adjust. Bill Belichick is famous for for putting in three different defensive schemes over the course of three games in the '91 playoffs and Ed refused to make any adjustments over the course of a year.

Minnesota absolutely needs to keep rebuilding their defense but they also need a competent DC, one who will adjust to his players strengths and to the tendencies and strengths of the opponents.

if only he could have brought Chris Doleman and John Randle back. Ed McDaniel too.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just using press more would have paid off. Disrupt the timing a little. Be closer than ten yards from the WR once in a while.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Roasted Donut posted:

They scored 30 points once all year and only twice in his two years as OC (both losses). They scored less than 20 in 4 of the last 6 games against the absolute dregs of the league. They scored almost the same as the team that started Mason and Duck all year long that had significantly less offensive skill talent. The offense has been near the bottom of the league in yards, points, and explosive plays both of his years. Multiple times it's been reported that defensive players are calling out the plays before they happen. They haven't had 400 yards of offense game in the last two years (in the afc north alone this year the bengals did it 6 times and the browns and ravens 4 times each). At the start of games when there's a script in place they're the absolute worst scoring 8 TDs in 35 first quarters under him.

He's had one good season in his entire career as an OC and that was at Pitt in 2016. Other than that he's also been by and large a horrible OC in the college game as well. He has zero business whatsoever in the NFL.

There is not a single valid argument for keeping him in any capacity. The closest one is 'You don't want your young QB to have to learn a new offense!' but gently caress that. I'd rather him learn a new one now that's worth a poo poo than have to learn a new one in 2024 because this one doesn't have a chance in hell of working out.

You're right, which is why I'm thrilled they kept him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Docjowles posted:

No gods, no masters. Only player coaches

This is the secret Brady uses to play into his 70s

Dan Campbell would finally get the chance to eat his kneecaps

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One of the Charlotte FC players drowned.

https://twitter.com/rriotreport/status/1616416508434948097?s=46&t=T567uI-2tVl1mFAlJIWC7w

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EconDad posted:

if only he could have brought Chris Doleman and John Randle back. Ed McDaniel too.

Can we throw in Joey Browner and Scott Studwell too?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Heh

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/1616481344757932034

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

It's comical at this point

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1616495965426577410?t=Go8_gVkQdT1LMXpEQaRUtA&s=19

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Would have been a cool hire

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1616495352559042560?s=46&t=Yz1_a_cRmJGIuWdK6PtEBQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sucks

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Hell yeah

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Legitimately didn't know Bill Callahan was still coaching

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

There is so much incestful hiring going on at New England, I'm not sure they're not owned by the Targaryens.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bill realized the door's about to slam shut and he's just getting paychecks for as much of his buddies as possible.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The two I’ll note as exceptions there are Shawn Jefferson and Keenan McCardell, as that tweet is a bit misleading.

Jefferson played in New England in the 90s under Parcells (For just one year) and Pete Carroll and has been working his way up the coaching ranks for a while now. IIRC, he’s well regarded as a receivers coach and I think Calvin Johnson credited him with helping during his time in Detroit, so going from position coach to OC after 17~ years working his way up isn’t crazy. McCardell played for Belichick way back in Cleveland, and similarly has spent the last decade or so working around the NFL and college as a WR coach.

If those guys were interviewed by any other team, I don’t think it would draw as much attention. It’s not like he’s calling up Bethel Johnson or the ghost of Reche Caldwell.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MJeff posted:

Bill realized the door's about to slam shut and he's just getting paychecks for as much of his buddies as possible.

But he could just hire a good oc and then the door stays open

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fartknocker posted:

The two I’ll note as exceptions there are Shawn Jefferson and Keenan McCardell, as that tweet is a bit misleading.

Jefferson played in New England in the 90s under Parcells (For just one year) and Pete Carroll and has been working his way up the coaching ranks for a while now. IIRC, he’s well regarded as a receivers coach and I think Calvin Johnson credited him with helping during his time in Detroit, so going from position coach to OC after 17~ years working his way up isn’t crazy. McCardell played for Belichick way back in Cleveland, and similarly has spent the last decade or so working around the NFL and college as a WR coach.

If those guys were interviewed by any other team, I don’t think it would draw as much attention. It’s not like he’s calling up Bethel Johnson or the ghost of Reche Caldwell.

All that is true.

But it is still ridiculous that he literally will not interview anyone he hasn't already worked with.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

All that is true.

But it is still ridiculous that he literally will not interview anyone he hasn't already worked with.

Next interviews: Joey Galloway, Phil McConkey, and Antonio Brown. Oh, and Andre Rison.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Keenan is very good

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

the ghost of Reche Caldwell.

gently caress I forgot about this :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If you're curious about reading just how bad Leftwich was as an OC, it's all right here:

https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/1616507448252108804?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
A name I guess. I know nothing about him

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1616522259023233047?s=46&t=zINUDSLKYnx3wS1n4SFYLg

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lol these names are such poo poo. the chances of me being happy with this hire are pretty much nil

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mcmagic posted:

lol these names are such poo poo. the chances of me being happy with this hire are pretty much nil

look I agree that the Browns passing game guy isn't high on my list of desired OCs but he did an admirable job with Jake Brisket this year. if he starts against the Saints and Steelers they would have had a shot at the postseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

He was Brian Flores’ first OC. Not awful awful, but tried to get a very young bad team to do a super complicated patriots offence