Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Late to the party but I finally saw Last Of Us. The first half has some really impressive set pieces and the tension building is just great. Totally from the makers of Chernobyl. But then the second half of the episode is completely different and falls down a cliff. What happened. I really have no interest in seeing any more of those zombies. It feels like going from the amazing Walking Dead pilot to the crappy second and third episodes.

Well if they continue following the game really closely it's basically like all zombie media as far as who the real monsters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No idea what would make you think the second half was drastically worse unless you just want more zombie mayhem

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually just rewatched Blade Runner 2049 last night and he’s fine in it, but I can also name at least a dozen other similar actors off the top of my head who’d have given equivalent or better performances. Leto brings nothing unique to it other than his real world unpleasantness.

Oh, what could have been

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bowie was the first choice for Michael Sheen's role in TRON: Legacy, too, if I remember correctly. Which would have been awesome, as good as Sheen was.

...and now Leto is going to be in Tron 3. So is Leto just finding franchises that wanted Bowie and attaching himself to them? Is that a thing? Probably not.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

thrawn527 posted:

...and now Leto is going to be in Tron 3. So is Leto just finding franchises that wanted Bowie and attaching himself to them? Is that a thing? Probably not.

Thirty Seconds to Mars... Starman... join the dots :dogstare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I could definitely see him thinking he's taking the baton from Bowie. But while they are both creeps, at least Bowie was a talented and fascinating creep.

I've found peace with Leto in BR2049, though. Sure, I'd rather it were anyone else, but it's a very effective casting to get me to loathe the character.

Tron 3... idk, we'll see if it makes any interesting choices. I'm just bummed that we could have had a Kosinski film starring Cillian Murphy channeling David Warner and we got this instead.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

We were looking for something short and light to watch last night, so on a whim we watched the first episode of Reboot (the Hulu show, not the Tron ripoff cartoon). It was pretty good! Definitely 30 Rock vibes, especially Rachel Bloom who was very clearly channeling Liz Lemon. It was killing me who the kid actor was and I can't believe I didn't recognize Alex Trimboli from American Vandal. Also, completely did not expect to see Judy Greer's boobs. Something I never expected to see after all those Arrested Development jokes.

thrawn527 posted:

Bowie was the first choice for Michael Sheen's role in TRON: Legacy, too, if I remember correctly. Which would have been awesome, as good as Sheen was.

When I first watched Tron Legacy in the theater, for a moment I actually thought it was Bowie who had been deaged or digitally altered.

For Blade Runner, should have just gone the Lynch route and made Wallace a giant kettle.

As this is TVIV, if you're a fan of Tron Legacy, the Tron: Uprising animated prequel that came out a year or two after is worth watching, even though its usage of Tron doesn't really line up with the movie. Great voice cast too, and especially liked the choice of having Tricia Helfer as the voice of the Game Grid.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Well, here's the counter case to Zaslav.

I'd wanna know how much that ad-supported tier is contributing but I couldn't find it in the article

I read in another article that the ad-supported tier was 9% of new Netflix subs, which was so low they had to give money back to advertisers for missing their targets so badly.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm excited for my wife to be done with GoT these next few days so I can cancel HBO.

Returning to Netflix after 6 months though has been really nice! Sandman was awesome and we are just starting Dark, which we've never watched before.

My kid will miss the ghibli stuff...I may just buy them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t Netflix have every Ghibli? Is that everywhere but the US?

e: drat yeah everywhere except US, Canada, and Japan

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chairman Capone posted:

Reboot (not the Tron ripoff cartoon)

I cannot believe you would do Reboot dirty like this

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Escobarbarian posted:

Don’t Netflix have every Ghibli? Is that everywhere but the US?

e: drat yeah everywhere except US, Canada, and Japan

America is a cursed country :smith:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In a plot twist, soon Ghibli will be the only thing left on HBO Max.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

I read in another article that the ad-supported tier was 9% of new Netflix subs, which was so low they had to give money back to advertisers for missing their targets so badly.

lol that's a really good sign for us. Netflix having a positive cash flow of $3bn in FY 23 while not turning to some FAST bullshit would be a pretty strong rebuttal to Zaslav Thought.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm interested in HBO making more low budget stuff like High Maintenance or Betty or John Wilson. I definitely got way more enjoyment out of those series than HotD or Flight Attendant. Seems like that would appease Zaslav.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDOpHuUppU

Fun teaser, can't wait for the show to be back.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Where the gently caress is more Righteous Gemstones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

thrawn527 posted:

Is it an intentional choice to have such a low framerate and the lips not syncing at all

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Read After Burning posted:

Where the gently caress is more Righteous Gemstones.
The promo that played before Last of Us episode 1 said more of it was coming, I just don't know when

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Did they switch to full 3d animation or something? This looks pretty awful. I'm sure the show will be good anyway, but I had hoped they would step up their animation game, not the opposite.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That is obviously something they threw together for a promo, did y'all not watch it past the first five seconds? Those aren't upcoming scenes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, like I said, fun teaser, but that's all it is. It's very meta, talking about the show itself, showing the animating of the show. It's not like this is going to be a scene from the show, just something fun to announce the new season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's actually double meta!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks so bad they should not have made it (the fuckin camera shake??????). I sure HOPE the full season won't look like that, but it's not exactly inspiring confidence!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I cannot believe you would do Reboot dirty like this

Because it's really bad OP

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

It's actually double meta!

That's wonderful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

That looks so bad they should not have made it (the fuckin camera shake??????). I sure HOPE the full season won't look like that, but it's not exactly inspiring confidence!

They went out of their way to create a promo instead of just putting out a press release dude, the fact that they went to what is insane effort compared to tweeting "Invincible Season 3 coming late 2023" should inspire a lot of confidence. They wrote a 3 min script with jokes for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

They went out of their way to create a promo instead of just putting out a press release dude, the fact that they went to what is insane effort compared to tweeting "Invincible Season 3 coming late 2023" should inspire a lot of confidence. They wrote a 3 min script with jokes for it.

They literally talk about how much time and effort it takes to make a show like this and people are like "is it gonna look like this short promo that was rushed out to appease fans?"

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I made the horrible mistake of watching the first 5 episodes of Paul T. Goldman this week and now the wait until Sunday for the finale is KILLING ME.

Please take a lesson from me, and wait until sunday to binge all of Paul T. Goldman. But definitely do it on Sunday because it's bananas.

Anyone know when Peacock shows drop on the service? Is it midnight ET? 3am ET? Something WORSE?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I made the horrible mistake of watching the first 5 episodes of Paul T. Goldman this week and now the wait until Sunday for the finale is KILLING ME.

Please take a lesson from me, and wait until sunday to binge all of Paul T. Goldman. But definitely do it on Sunday because it's bananas.

Anyone know when Peacock shows drop on the service? Is it midnight ET? 3am ET? Something WORSE?

I have no idea when Peacock releases new episodes, but I am in the same boat as you in eagerly waiting for the last episode!

Also worth noting that on Thursday, Peacock debuts the first four episodes of Poker Face, the mystery show by Rian Johnson starring Natasha Lyonne.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am also very very excited for the last episode. I’ll probably watch it before The Last of Us tbh. The torrent versions have been going up at around 5am ET. So I’m told :ninja:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You nerds keep throwing new shows at me that I've never heard of before.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Between TLOU, Poker Face, and that new Bill Lawrence Apple thing Shrinking, TV is really starting to pick up again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For me I currently have Last of Us, Paul T. Goldman, and Servant on our viewing docket, and in the next month or so Poker Face, Hello Tomorrow, Party Down, The Consultant, and The Mandalorian all starting, and then Yellowjackets at the end of March.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd counter that BTG is BETTER with a weekly wait, because it really gave you an opportunity to think one way about him only to have it change, and then change again. It's really a well done show and I absolutely can't wait for Sunday

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Medullah posted:

I'd counter that BTG is BETTER with a weekly wait, because it really gave you an opportunity to think one way about him only to have it change, and then change again. It's really a well done show and I absolutely can't wait for Sunday

Baul T. Goldman

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arist posted:

Baul T. Goldman

Haha wtf I double checked that I hit P, I wonder what BTG is that it auto corrected.

But I mean, I can see season 2...Baul isn't out of the question

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Between TLOU, Poker Face, and that new Bill Lawrence Apple thing Shrinking, TV is really starting to pick up again.

Apple is really killing it lately with Shrinking, Hello Tomorrow, and a Eugene Levy travel show all coming out relatively soon.

Not sure if any of them will be good, but they've definitely got my attention.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Better Try Gai(us)

E: poo poo, I thought this was the thread with the current battlestar discussion

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ruddiger posted:

Better Try Gai(us)

E: poo poo, I thought this was the thread with the current battlestar discussion

It certainly can be, if you want it to be!

I remember James Callis said that when he told his friends he was cast as Gaius Baltar, they told him, "Do they know how horribly miscast you've been?" And I get what they mean, given what the original character was. But my god, what an amazing performance he gave on that show. To the point where, whenever he shows up in anything now (which is far too rare), I'm all, "Oh here we go!"

He was, like, the one good thing about Picard season 2. And unfortunately in only one episode.