Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

Also, remember it's a touchscreen
Also remember, the steam deck has a mouse and you can touch type on the trackpads insanely quickly with a little practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

Also, remember it's a wildly inaccurate touchscreen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s not for 99% of it, they made the icons enormous and there’s no typing.

There is typing if he's setting up a sudo password to get PowerTools installed, but yeah, that's pretty much it. However, if he's like me and my friend the keyboard will never pop up in Desktop Mode so I can't even type on the Deck. I need a keyboard. lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What's the deal with how Vampire Survivors runs on the deck?

Is it just poorly optimized?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

runs fine for me :shrug:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

What's the deal with how Vampire Survivors runs on the deck?

Is it just poorly optimized?

I'm pretty sure vampire survivors is an electron app. It's written in javascript, it's a miracle it performs well anywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

runs fine for me :shrug:

Anything after like the 15 min mark it starts to drop well under 60fps down to like 30 or so.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
About that wildly inaccurate touchscreen - it works fine for me. Is it a big finger situation or what's happening there?

I know the the virtual keyboard in desktop mode was hosed on launch, but that was patched last year

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vampire Survivors (PBUH) is an electron app meaning that you’re running it in a browser. The console version is now built in Unity and doesn’t suffer as much; that version is coming to Steam “soon”.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Vampire Survivors (PBUH) is an electron app meaning that you’re running it in a browser. The console version is now built in Unity and doesn’t suffer as much; that version is coming to Steam “soon”.

Got it thanks! I wasn't sure if I wasn't picking the right option at startup or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Anything after like the 15 min mark it starts to drop well under 60fps down to like 30 or so.

Not unique to the Deck!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Not unique to the Deck!

Well seems fine on my 5800x3d with a 4090! lol

Thanks though! Game is stupid addicting.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Vic posted:

About that wildly inaccurate touchscreen - it works fine for me. Is it a big finger situation or what's happening there?

I know the the virtual keyboard in desktop mode was hosed on launch, but that was patched last year

I think the touch screen has gotten better over time, like other aspects of the steam deck. They've added gestures even.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Controller probably needs a firmware update.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I plugged the controller into my PC and ran a check for updates and it didn't find any.

Trucker Hat posted:

After I fixed the flickering connection issue it worked over bluetooth, but with a half second delay on all inputs. Supposedly there's ways to fix that as well, but I just ended up getting a Dual Sense controller instead.

Huh. It was working normally for me two months ago, though I didn't use it a whole lot at that point...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone tried emulating the new FE game yet?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I’ll give it a go later when my new SD card comes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone tried emulating the new FE game yet?

If you download all the shaders for ryujinx it works good, Yuzu not the best. but I've been remote playing it from my PC. 6 hours is much better than 2 anyways, and 4k/ 60fps is nice

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Random Stranger posted:

I'm having a problem with my Deck and an Xbox controller. It keeps blinking between connected and disconnected. Like flickering back and forth about every half second.

I only used the controller with it for a little while a few months ago. But I'm doing some extended traveling for work so I got a dock thinking I'd use the deck as a computer and do stuff beyond just games. But when I tried to use the whole thing together last night to test it, I got the disconnect blinking. It kept happening when I took it out of the dock.

I tried rebooting and completely removing the controller, but I still had the same problem.

Any thoughts?

I’ve been having the same exact issue and my only solution has been to make my Deck forget it, put the controller into pairing mode and then pair again. It’s jank as gently caress, and yes I am on the latest controller firmware. It doesn’t even just happen on my Deck, it happens on my PC too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ottergauze posted:

I’ve been having the same exact issue and my only solution has been to make my Deck forget it, put the controller into pairing mode and then pair again. It’s jank as gently caress, and yes I am on the latest controller firmware. It doesn’t even just happen on my Deck, it happens on my PC too.

Can't one controller only be paired to one BT device at a time?

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Barreft posted:

Can't one controller only be paired to one BT device at a time?

Uh, yeah, i usually only have bluetooth enabled on one of those two devices at any one time. It’s paired to both, but obviously not connected at the same time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I decided to finally try setting up Decky Loader, and followed all the instructions on its Github page, and it just... doesn't work. No error messages or anything, for all intents and purposes the setup completed successfully, the plugins icon just doesn't appear where it should. I'm on the Stable OS update schedule, and am apparently up-to-date on it. Is this a thing that generally happens to people?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was just playing the new Fire Emblem on my Switch OLED which I haven't really touched since I got the Steam Deck, and god drat I wish the Steam Deck had this screen. Everything is gorgeous and vivid

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steam deck made me buy a proper grip for my dang switch. I am using it a lot more now.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Was just playing the new Fire Emblem on my Switch OLED which I haven't really touched since I got the Steam Deck, and god drat I wish the Steam Deck had this screen. Everything is gorgeous and vivid

Have you at least used vibrantDeck in Decky yet? It's nowhere close but it's somethin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know what decky is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s pretty nifty

You Need Steam Deck Plugins In Your Life! Easy Decky Loader Install - YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGJ13VSRLk

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

It’s pretty nifty

You Need Steam Deck Plugins In Your Life! Easy Decky Loader Install - YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGJ13VSRLk

Couldn't live without it

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

It’s pretty nifty

I’ve had trouble with getting all kinds of stuff working but Decky was really simple. And cool. And good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's basically a way to get all features you'd probably want built into the OS at some point, you can fully customize the Gaming Mode UI, tweak different settings, apply and change game covers for any title on your Steam Library. It's great. People keep coming up with plug-ins for it as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It sounds like a bunch of tedious work for no benefit, the default interface is fine

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It sounds like a bunch of tedious work for no benefit, the default interface is fine

You can install it in under a minute and some of the benefits are legit.

Even something super simple like having the protondb compatibility badges displayed on each game’s page so you don’t have to go look it up or roll the dice on something that valve haven’t verified themselves is a game changer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
disregard, meant for other steam thread

Morter fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 21, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can install it in under a minute and some of the benefits are legit.

Even something super simple like having the protondb compatibility badges displayed on each game’s page so you don’t have to go look it up or roll the dice on something that valve haven’t verified themselves is a game changer.

Seconding how fast and easy it is. I really like how quick it is to sync my AirPods using it.

Can you tell me more about the Proton thing? I really don’t understand what the various Protons do and when I should be using which one.

For example I just installed GE 35 today. Should I be using that for all or is it case by case?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It just straight up isn't working for me and I'm super mad

Again, no errors, no indication that anything has gone wrong, the plugin icon just isn't where it's supposed to be.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Drecky loader

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

It just straight up isn't working for me and I'm super mad

Again, no errors, no indication that anything has gone wrong, the plugin icon just isn't where it's supposed to be.

Are you on the stable or beta branch for SteamOS? I was running into the exact same issues when I tried to load it. I was on the beta branch. Swapped to stable just to try it out and ran through all the same steps again and blammo, it was right there.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What plugins are people using other than the protondb badges?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a way to set the Deck to automatically connect to Bluetooth headphones? I have to manually reconnect every time it wakes from sleep.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

What plugins are people using other than the protondb badges?

That one to change and randomise the boot animation just for shits and giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TwoDeer posted:

Are you on the stable or beta branch for SteamOS? I was running into the exact same issues when I tried to load it. I was on the beta branch. Swapped to stable just to try it out and ran through all the same steps again and blammo, it was right there.

Yup already on stable :shrug: Maybe I'll switch to beta and back??? This is a weird issue that apparently nobody else has so I dunno