Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Picture of that model in its natural habitat when I was there in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

I want to say you're talking about The Martian Way? (It's been ages since my binge-read of early Asimov stuff so I might have come up with the wrong title.)
Yeah. While he got some details wrong, the core point of "you can just move around the giant chunks of water floating loose instead, if you prefer" is accurate. And I think on a bigger level it's not about the abundance of water in the solar system, either. The entire issue is because of a non-Martian politician making hay about Those People using up Are Water as reaction mass.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The models in general were very nicely detailed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

One of my local theaters has an Enterprise-E hanging from the ceiling, though slightly smaller scale than those and the detail isn't as good, you can pick out some minor-moderate inaccuracies from the floor. I assume it's still there unless the whole place didn't survive the pandemic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh right, they had those monster-sized models. What did they wind up doing with them after the Experience closed?

That picture is actually from last month, apparently at least a few of them (11ft Refit, poor condition, and 23ft Voyager, good condition) just got sold off, picked up by some private nerds. Guy who got Voyager is posting his restoration and upgrade plans on facebook here. Planning to redo all the lights with adressable LEDs, insert some 3D printed interiors behind the windows, etc.

They got offered to the place that has the bridge set replicas you can tour, but they didn't have room.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 20, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have many questions

https://twitter.com/multiversitycom/status/1616220208506585088?s=46&t=h41TPvvDnqftBMB1CksuIg

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
hmu at my deviantquark for more cool space dog art

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

this is one thing I will not be doing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Put the dog down Odo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kibayasu posted:

Put the dog down Odo.
I wouldn't use that phrasing to Odo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Bashir looks like he is holding that pup by phaserpoint

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Delsaber posted:

One of my local theaters has an Enterprise-E hanging from the ceiling, though slightly smaller scale than those and the detail isn't as good, you can pick out some minor-moderate inaccuracies from the floor. I assume it's still there unless the whole place didn't survive the pandemic.

If this was part of the Silver City chain in Canada it was probably removed during renovations in 2019. One of those models made the news then when it was photographed on some guys lawn with a for sale sign taped to it.

https://torontolife.com/life/giant-starship-enterprise-sale-scarborough-lawn/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Bashir looks like he is holding that pup by phaserpoint

The dog and Bashir also look like they've had the same level of genetic tampering done to them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Smh no Mellanoid slime dog

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/1616514954026450944

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I hosed God And All I Got Was A Promotion To Lieutenant

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nessus posted:

Yeah. While he got some details wrong, the core point of "you can just move around the giant chunks of water floating loose instead, if you prefer" is accurate. And I think on a bigger level it's not about the abundance of water in the solar system, either. The entire issue is because of a non-Martian politician making hay about Those People using up Are Water as reaction mass.
Look, space water tastes funny, okay? It's Class-M water or nothin'.

Yikes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

That man looks high as poo poo :420:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

Christ, the lighting. Looks like it's lit by a police cruiser.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Christ, the lighting. Looks like it's lit by a police cruiser.

The cops are coming to arrest Sisko and he's smiling thinking about all the crime he did to get him here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

The cops are coming to arrest Sisko and he's smiling thinking about all the crime he did to get him here.

I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is gonna be some wacky story where Q or aliens or a holodeck malfunction turns them all into talking dogs, isn't it?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astroman posted:

This is gonna be some wacky story where Q or aliens or a holodeck malfunction turns them all into talking dogs, isn't it?

Nah, only seems to be one dog from the plot synopsis, guess the rest are just there for the covers

quote:

BORK! An extremely rare purebred corgi from Earth makes its way aboard Deep Space 9 when Quark cuts a deal to procure it for a high buyer. After all, a Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all! But Latinum the corgi comes with unexpected cargo that shakes Captain Benjamin Sisko to the core: a Borg component discovered by a crew sent to uncover Cardassian technology after the station’s reoccupation. Don’t miss out on this exclusive “lost episode” celebrating the 30th anniversary of the fan-favorite show Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and debut comic series by acclaimed author Mike Chen (Star Wars: Brotherhood, Here and Now and Then) and Star Trek comics artist extraordinaire Angel Hernandez (Star Trek: Picard—Stargazer, Star Trek: Discovery—Adventures in the 32nd Century)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

This looks like something that would be crudely spray-painted on the side of a carnival ride at a state or county fair in 1997. Like a Gravitron or a Tilt A Whirl.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't know how many goddamn times i've seen it but i still have no idea what the hell the point of 'the lights of zetar" is

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

This is better than the comics that look like they were made from tracing or filtering photos

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Beeftweeter posted:

i don't know how many goddamn times i've seen it but i still have no idea what the hell the point of 'the lights of zetar" is

The episode's writer, Shari Lewis, wrote it with the intention of starring in it as Lt. Romaine. So basically it's a self-insert fanfic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

The episode's writer, Shari Lewis, wrote it with the intention of starring in it as Lt. Romaine. So basically it's a self-insert fanfic.

In case you’re wondering, yes THAT Shari Lewis. Lambchop the puppet Shari Lewis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

In case you’re wondering, yes THAT Shari Lewis. Lambchop the puppet Shari Lewis.

Jesus loving Christ, I was wondering.

My dog, who lives with my ex-wife, adores her Lamb Chop.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

Look I say it's about time they had a lamb serve in Starfleet. :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Beeftweeter posted:

It's an episode written by a woman, but drat if it isn't nearly as patronisingly patriarchal as 'Turnabout Intruder'. And Scotty's friends really do think he has issues with women, don't they? (Like all the stuff in 'Wolf in the Fold' about his resentment because his accident was caused by a woman.)

The weird thing is, the first half of the episode has some genuinely creepy moments, but then it just becomes a lot of time-filling talk and people calling Romaine "the girl".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Scotty does have issues with women. In fact that specific premise, where Scotty is all over some junior officer to the point where it’s obviously interfering with her ability to do her job, has already been used. in the Apollo episode specifically. But whereas that episode also has something interesting to say and something for the woman to do (after Kirk has told Scotty to put his dick away and given his lady-love a bracing pep talk, naturally), “Zetar” has very little use for the woman.

Also its solution is very weak even by the standards of TOS science. I’m sorry, these space ghosts can travel at warp speed, but not stick it out in a hyperbaric chamber longer than an unprotected human body?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Even as a kid I never understood why the Zetarians didn't just... leave. They got through the hull of a starship without any trouble - why not float back out of the pressure chamber and leave Kirk with an "aw, gently caress, now what?" expression and Mira with burst eardrums?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

dr_rat posted:

Look I say it's about time they had a lamb serve in Starfleet. :colbert:

Aboard the USS Crazy Charlie Horse

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Knormal posted:

Yikes.

I'm printing that off and taking it in for an autograph if I ever run into Avery Brooks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol yeah scotty absolutely has problems with women

as mentioned "who mourns for adonais?" is just gross, super patriarchal, sure, but infantilizing as all hell. this lady is not only your friend, she's the greek mythology expert, perhaps she might have some insight as to the weird fucker threatening to kill your entire crew

i have a soft spot for "a wolf in the fold" because it's so ridiculous but it is also problematic — scotty basically gets to go to a prostitution planet and a bunch of women get murdered. everyone just assumes its scotty. thats not good! lol

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Phy posted:

I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder.

I CAN live with it :mmmsmug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i didn't realize its that shari lewis either holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's not just Scotty in 'Who Mourns for Adonais', but Kirk. Romaine is never given any sort of agency at all in the episode, from Scotty, Kirk or Apollo.

The same problem exists in 'Requiem for Methuselah'. It's bitterly ironic that Kirk argues so passionately for Rayna's ability to choose when he's trying to coerce her just as much as "Flint".