Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want to play but I’m at work tonight and also tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I didn't realize the DLC also gives stat boosters and now they're just, sitting in my inventory taunting me

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Endorph posted:

the actual execution of the writing in the main story is much better than 3h's frankly

ehhhhh

I get self-insert main character being a problem in lots of games like this, but Three Houses' world and character building felt a lot better than what I've seen in Engage so far.

The combat feels better though, but some aspects of the game make this feel like less a full console game and more like the portable Fire Emblems.

I will say that I don't think I'm that far in yet? Chapter 6 or 7? Maybe it gets better? But where I'm at right now, a lot of the characters are far more enjoyable when they aren't speaking.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

yeah thieves dont have special chest opening powers and keys dont exist, anyone can walk up to a chest and open it. its a weird choice but ig it streamlines things

It's really not that weird a choice, it's just a break from the series convention. You wouldn't normally lock a chest if it's already secured in a guarded vault, the locks were for transport or if the chest was to be placed somewhere without other security.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willias posted:

ehhhhh

I get self-insert main character being a problem in lots of games like this, but Three Houses' world and character building felt a lot better than what I've seen in Engage so far.
Oh, I agree. When I say 'writing in the main story,' i mean literally 'the things that happen between chapters and how they tell the progression of events that lead to battles.' 3H was very clumsy in that regard.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have hit chapter 11 and I would like you to know that this game is, in fact, Good, even if it is also an rear end in a top hat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Junpei posted:

...please tell me Fogado's English voice actor is actually black himself. Because if it's a white person saying all this in this way it would be really really weird, bordering on offensive

he is

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

oh thank goodness.

I do like Fogado for the record, it's just the whole... the best way I can put it is "G-rated teenage Samuel L Jackson voice"... it threw me off a bit.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Well, after having completed up to chapter 6, I have to admit that the writing quality took a pretty massive upswing the second the party left Lythos. It's still a Saturday morning cartoon, but I'm actually enjoying the interactions between the characters now. Nelucce and the wannabe Ivy from Soul Calibur were a particular highlight. Those voice actors were having fun.

The missions are still great, but I'm getting a fuckload of 2-stat levels on everyone, and they're usually bad stats. Fire Emblem is back!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im engagin

it was very funny when our cool mom immediately zooped across the map, with sigurd......

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Mom said "gently caress your Jagen"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Mom said "gently caress your Jagen"
im trying but his stats arent very good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
pov: you are an enemy in fe4

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

im trying but his stats arent very good

it's sad but true

Maybe if I turn Vander into a Griffin Knight I can make him usable, if only as a staffbot...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm just glad Alear talks and has a personality, its a great thing after years of Professor Vow of Silence.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do I raise bonds to level 5 for non-Alear characters?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spermando posted:

open the reference menu. I have no idea why it's there, but supports and bonds for people other than Alear are in there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spermando posted:

using the engage in combat or going to the arena and spending bond points on Emblem Training. ring polishing also gives a small amount of bond exp.

edit: oh, i see, the convos. yeah its in the reference menu along with supports

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the biggest plot twist in this game is (chapter 10 or so mild spoilers) old rear end evil wizard king hyacinth walking up to your guys and punching them to death with his bare hands if you let him

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

no.............. cool dragon mom..............

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Micaiah might be the single most useful Emblem because of the crazy experience and SP she can get you.

(Chapter 7 map, seen in previews) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvgfupdD3w

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wow chapter 11 is rude, the boss is scripted to be immune to damage, and you don't get any reward for killing the hounds what the heck

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

For the people who say forging Framme's scroll and giving her an emblem ring makes her a good combat unit, is it forging it to +X or turning it into a Steel scroll?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

+X

I don't think Framme needs an Emblem Ring to do good in combat. I mean literally anyone can do go good with any ring so you do you, it's just not necessary for her to reach good combat potential.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My Alear is refusing to gain speed but has been getting Str every level for 5 levels straight now... armor knight go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Terper posted:

Micaiah might be the single most useful Emblem because of the crazy experience and SP she can get you.

(Chapter 7 map, seen in previews) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvgfupdD3w

:thunk:

I know you get a Second Seal very early as well and it just costs 200 bond fragments to unlock Staff Proficiency

Maybe Griffin Knight Vander is actually real

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

:thunk:

I know you get a Second Seal very early as well and it just costs 200 bond fragments to unlock Staff Proficiency

Maybe Griffin Knight Vander is actually real

I set up similar situations throughout the map and got Canter with 200 SP to spare after the map, not to mention it's a free level-up

Very effective and efficient way to grow your units

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yunaka is cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yunaka is abso-totely wondiferous.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I prefer a deeper single path story to multiple shallower branches and wasn't entirely enthralled by 3H but I think I'll have to check Engage out and hop back on the FE hype train

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m having fun playing FE

I couldn’t get the chests from Chapter 5 on Hard because that initial wave of enemies was pretty tough to beat with how my units are turning out early on. I paired Etie with Sigurd just to try an archer as a mobile hit and run type given how she’s gotten a bunch of strength and speed early on. It worked! Think I might have her and Alear swap just to gain more weapon proficiencies and such

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Chapter 11 sure is a loving rear end in a top hat of a chapter.

I can't believe they give Micaiah to a freeze staff enemy so that it gets long range aoe freezes off on your party when you're supposed to be running away. Truly devilish. This map must be absolute hell on Maddening.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, Chapter 11 sure is a loving rear end in a top hat of a chapter.

I can't believe they give Micaiah to a freeze staff enemy so that it gets long range aoe freezes off on your party when you're supposed to be running away. Truly devilish. This map must be absolute hell on Maddening.

yeah it owns

this was the part of the game I was talking about earlier being the first "gently caress you" moments for Maddening/Classic players especially if they raised/brought the wrong comp

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Omg Fogado is voiced by the guy that voiced all those anime twinks

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Endorph posted:

they know who the important three houses lord is

What made me laugh is this made me think it always started on Edlegard, then i did my first map with them and Claude instantly took over on turn 1 because he knows hes the best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone in this game is voiced by a guy you can describe like that

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Axle_Stukov posted:

What made me laugh is this made me think it always started on Edlegard, then i did my first map with them and Claude instantly took over on turn 1 because he knows hes the best.

Dimitri's ability to just say no to a ranged attack has come in handy surprisingly often for me, while Edelgard's stupid fire plan keeps loving me over.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I’m having fun playing FE

I couldn’t get the chests from Chapter 5 on Hard because that initial wave of enemies was pretty tough to beat with how my units are turning out early on. I paired Etie with Sigurd just to try an archer as a mobile hit and run type given how she’s gotten a bunch of strength and speed early on. It worked! Think I might have her and Alear swap just to gain more weapon proficiencies and such

The key was to give Sigurd to Louis and have him Override during that one turn 4 enemies are lined up in the corridor, thus blocking the thief :eng101:

They even showed it off in prerelease!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

blizzardvizard posted:

The key was to give Sigurd to Louis and have him Override during that one turn 4 enemies are lined up in the corridor, thus blocking the thief :eng101:

They even showed it off in prerelease!

Oh that would have been so smart! Definitely gonna try it next time around.

The class and weapon rank system makes so much more sense this time around

Boucheron kind of stinks imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can you open the chests in ch5? I just let the thief steal the items for me and murdered him.
Bosses with multiple lifebars are rude.