Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are published hardcopy versions of most big congressional special reports like that. Unfortunately all the people who would have bought them are succumbing to covid 19

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Good thing they were paid well and on time.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-lawyers-sanctioned/
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1616256440456384513

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 20, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are published hardcopy versions of most big congressional special reports like that. Unfortunately all the people who would have bought them are succumbing to covid 19

I printed out the torture report and had it bound so I could read it. I don't remember what it cost, it might've been cheaper to buy it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tayter Swift posted:

They sell those things? There's a PDF though.

The Starr Report was a bestseller even though it was made available for free online and one in eight American adults downloaded it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fuschia tude posted:

The Starr Report was a bestseller even though it was made available for free online and one in eight American adults downloaded it.

The start report used to be the speed test benchmark before there was speed test.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I've love how all these lawyers taking the piss with these right wing lunatic lawsuits are in the FAFO stage of their careers.

Alan Dershowitz, a formerly highly respected lawyer has been sanctioned for an absurd law suit in Arizona and his lawyer has now been sanctioned for doing an absurd job of defending him in the sanctions suit and it's possible that that lawyer's lawyer is going to be sanctioned for an absurd defense of the the second lawyers absurd defense of the first lawyers absurd law suit.

I call it, "The Aristocrats!".

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

At least one of the news creatures (Ari Melber?) had it as a hardcover book with annotations and interviews and whatever. I’m guessing it’s that or something parallel?

But yeah, hardly shocked since it’s a compilation publicly available documents. This seems less like a Jan 6 story and more like “Questionable Coffee-table Book Sells Poorly”.

Can't wait to place a physicalized painful reminder that justice is deferred and largely denied in a way which reiterates the selectivity of accountability to our legal system that exists for the rich and privileged ... on my coffee table

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Murgos posted:

I've love how all these lawyers taking the piss with these right wing lunatic lawsuits are in the FAFO stage of their careers.

Alan Dershowitz, a formerly highly respected lawyer has been sanctioned for an absurd law suit in Arizona and his lawyer has now been sanctioned for doing an absurd job of defending him in the sanctions suit and it's possible that that lawyer's lawyer is going to be sanctioned for an absurd defense of the the second lawyers absurd defense of the first lawyers absurd law suit.

I call it, "The Aristocrats!".
It's so weird too. Giuliani, Lin Wood, all these people used to be, well not good people, but at least somewhat competent at being lawyers specifically?

Did the effects of 40 years of breathing leaded gas fumes just suddenly kick in simultaneously?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

It's so weird too. Giuliani, Lin Wood, all these people used to be, well not good people, but at least somewhat competent at being lawyers specifically?

Did the effects of 40 years of breathing leaded gas fumes just suddenly kick in simultaneously?

They were surrounded by or working for people far more competent than Donald Trump. Once they were in his orbit, for whatever reason, they decided to throw away their careers and reputation for him.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 20, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VitalSigns posted:

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Giuliani in particular is a weird case - simply by being mayor of NYC when 9/11 happened, he could have retired and gone on the book tour and speaking circuit for the rest of his life.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Giuliani in particular is a weird case - simply by being mayor of NYC when 9/11 happened, he could have retired and gone on the book tour and speaking circuit for the rest of his life.

It's doubly weird because, for the non-New Yorkers out there, the job of the mayor of New York City is primarily being a mascot for ~10-million people to vent seething rage at, with actual administration being a very distant second. A big part of the gig is everyone blames you for everything that goes wrong in a major metropolitan area with failing infrastructure.

Giuliani could've been one of the rare people who was remembered as a Good Mayor, which is like bowling a perfect game against a unicorn.

He was actually a very lovely mayor for many, many reasons. Most of which you can pretty easily imagine by just thinking what a racist authoritarian piece of poo poo would do, but also like he really started cracking down on pet ferrets and a bunch of completely off-the-wall lovely things too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was kind of hoping that if Willis wanted to get indictments out ahead of the hearing on the 24th she would do it today since they all seem to like dropping bombs on a Friday for all the hot takes on the Sunday shows.

Doesn't seem likely now though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Giuliani has always been a huge piece of poo poo with a self-inflicted trainwreck of a personal life, even before his supposed brain injury and worsening of his alcoholism.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I actually was at a professional convention where he was brought in to speak, around 2010 or so. He was supposed to talk about his time as Mayor and running the city but instead he spent an hour and a half ranting about Obama's birth certificate and other far-right conspiracy theories. He wasn't a particularly in demand speaker by that point, and it really felt like the 2008 election (and his failed Presidential bid) broke his brain.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

In retrospect his trainwreck of a primary campaign in 2008 when he still had a bit of the 9/11 shine on him should have forewarned what was coming.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Giuliani has always been a huge piece of poo poo with a self-inflicted trainwreck of a personal life, even before his supposed brain injury and worsening of his alcoholism.

He's never been a good person, but by all accounts he was a skilled lawyer. Where did that go?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hah, after the near 1 million in sanctions for frivolous lawsuits he has dropped his $250 million lawsuit against Letitia James.

https://twitter.com/FLOA_MissLinda/status/1616478309105401856

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Middlebrooks from this case also has Trumps suit against James trying to stop the NY State AG from investigating him.

Trump just withdrew that suit and I'm going assume it was because Judge Middlebrooks was getting ready to really show him what the court can do to someone who's wasting its time.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Trump refiles it in a few days trying to get a new judge.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

He's never been a good person, but by all accounts he was a skilled lawyer. Where did that go?

no one has seen 'skilled lawyer rudy' since 1989. I have no idea how competent he was as a lawyer (vs how supported he was by doj legal infrastructure and his most notable successes being RICO cases), but 30 years of heavy drinking, politics, and a brain injury and at least a decade balls deep in conspiracy theories will gently caress you up

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 20, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I have no idea what the hell happened to Lin Wood, but at least with a lot of these other figures there's some deep resentment or failure that leads them to latch onto Trump.

Giuliani really wanted to be an important politics guy. He desperately wanted to ride his NYC Mayor fame into some higher office, especially after 9/11, but he had a real knack for shooting himself in the foot and ended up wrecking his political career. His 2000 Senate run vs Hillary Clinton collapsed because he couldn't stop bringing his mistress to events, and a bunch of shady corruption stuff from his mayor days came out during his 2008 presidential campaign. And once the Tea Party hit, a longtime GOP guy like him would've had trouble in primaries. There's rumors that his speaking fees completely collapsed after his 2008 run, too. His private life was an utter mess. His old buddy Trump was probably the only person left anywhere near politics who'd give him the time of day.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

Judge Middlebrooks from this case also has Trumps suit against James trying to stop the NY State AG from investigating him.

Trump just withdrew that suit and I'm going assume it was because Judge Middlebrooks was getting ready to really show him what the court can do to someone who's wasting its time.

What, just bigger sanctions they won't pay? Pfft.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think realistically they correctly identified that Trumpism was the future of the Republican party. And they weren't alone in not recognizing what that meant for the party and the country.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
One thing Giuliani and Trump both had in common in particular is that, especially as the 2000s progressed, they were both pariahs in NYC and increasingly treated with more and more open contempt. Hell, Giuliani probably even more so than Trump. Trump was never really accepted into the NYC elite but Giuliani was fully of that class and was forcibly rejected out of it throughout the 2000s.

Tbh giuliani's rise and fall would be a really interesting story if he wasn't so deeply unpleasant in a way that just isn't even fun to learn about.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no one has seen 'skilled lawyer rudy' since 1989. I have no idea how competent he was as a lawyer (vs how supported he was by doj legal infrastructure and his most notable successes being RICO cases), but 30 years of heavy drinking, politics, and a brain injury and at least a decade balls deep in conspiracy theories will gently caress you up

Even with all of this, his record as a lawyer during the 80s and his timing as mayor could have gotten him a partnership at any number of firms where he just gladhands clients all day, riding out his reputation while letting junior attorneys do the work. Could have easily coasted into retirement without doing anything. Such a strange case all around.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah he could've but that would've required him not being rudy giuliani and instead being someone with even a hint of consistent values and a minimally functioning moral compass

Ironically he basically did that anyways except without the partner in a law firm part. He practically lived out of a couple NYC cigar bars for years and years where he'd get drunk all day and hold court

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 21, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VitalSigns posted:

rudy was always a weird drama shithead but then post 9/11 his life went to poo poo when he couldnt escape being "mayor 9/11" and he ended up drinking and got head injuries and getting in deep with all the criminals he pretended to hate during the mob days.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Even with all of this, his record as a lawyer during the 80s and his timing as mayor could have gotten him a partnership at any number of firms where he just gladhands clients all day, riding out his reputation while letting junior attorneys do the work. Could have easily coasted into retirement without doing anything. Such a strange case all around.

he wanted power and fame and poo poo. so he basicaly became a big drama queen mayor who was to win on "law and order" and stupid poo poo. then he won the lottery and was mayor during 9/11 which made him think he could be president. unfortunatly for him everyone viewed him as a foriegn policy expert and he wasnt and he was too liberal for the GOP so he flamed out.

Main Paineframe posted:

I have no idea what the hell happened to Lin Wood, but at least with a lot of these other figures there's some deep resentment or failure that leads them to latch onto Trump.

Giuliani really wanted to be an important politics guy. He desperately wanted to ride his NYC Mayor fame into some higher office, especially after 9/11, but he had a real knack for shooting himself in the foot and ended up wrecking his political career. His 2000 Senate run vs Hillary Clinton collapsed because he couldn't stop bringing his mistress to events, and a bunch of shady corruption stuff from his mayor days came out during his 2008 presidential campaign. And once the Tea Party hit, a longtime GOP guy like him would've had trouble in primaries. There's rumors that his speaking fees completely collapsed after his 2008 run, too. His private life was an utter mess. His old buddy Trump was probably the only person left anywhere near politics who'd give him the time of day.

what they said.

but yeah, i think alot of these folks peaked in the 80s and 90s and want those days back and trump is their key to that and now they are way way way too deep to detach now.

if i remember the narrative correctly, both trump and rudy had kinda of hitler/mussolini thing where both viewed themselve as the big man in charge and eventually rudy brain rotted more and well.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 21, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/20/marines-charged-jan6-capitol/

quote:

Three active-duty Marines with intelligence jobs charged in January. 6 breach

Rare arrests of active U.S. military members highlight challenge of policing extremist ideologies in the ranks
By Spencer S. Hsu and Alex Horton
January 20, 2023 at 5:02 p.m. EST

Three active duty members of the Marine Corps assigned to intelligence-related jobs, including one at the National Security Agency headquarters in Maryland, have been charged with participating in the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol, according to court filings unsealed Thursday and military service records.

Cpl. Micah Coomer, Sgt. Joshua Abate and Sgt. Dodge Dale Hellonen were arrested Tuesday and Wednesday near Camp Pendleton, Calif., Fort Meade, Md., and Camp Lejeune, N.C., respectively, and appeared in local federal courts.

Someone's career just ended.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
They couldn't find a third guy with a masturbation themed name to complete the trio?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They couldn't find a third guy with a masturbation themed name to complete the trio?

I dunno about you pal, but I've done the Sgt. Dodge once or twice myself :wiggle:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cpl. Coomer.

Like, is that an actual name and not a joke?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Cpl. Coomer.

Like, is that an actual name and not a joke?

HELLO, Gordon!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I assume it's pronounced Hell-Onan.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paracaidas posted:

I assume it's pronounced Hell-Onan.

beat me to it

(beat meat to it)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Only 40% of adults used the internet in 1998, so if the one in eight adults is correct, then almost 1/3 of those who could get it online did.

That is a huge number, especially for anyone who remembers how horrible reading large chunks of text on old CRT monitors was. Reading a book is a far more pleasant experience.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

Only 40% of adults used the internet in 1998, so if the one in eight adults is correct, then almost 1/3 of those who could get it online did.

That is a huge number, especially for anyone who remembers how horrible reading large chunks of text on old CRT monitors was. Reading a book is a far more pleasant experience.

As noted above it was used as a speed test. Most downloads were for that purpose and had nothing to do with reading it.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I remember my dad being absolutely psyched about the Starr report. So much so that he bought me a copy and then started quizzing me on it to ensure that I had read it.

I was 11. That was MY 9/11.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forbidden dialectics posted:

I remember my dad being absolutely psyched about the Starr report. So much so that he bought me a copy and then started quizzing me on it to ensure that I had read it.

I was 11. That was MY 9/11.

Lmao'ing at your dad quizzing you on the curvature of Clinton's weird dick or the precise nature of the semen stains on the blue dress or whatever. Cool and normal chud dad poo poo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
More convictions!

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Four members of the Oath Keepers were convicted Monday of seditious conspiracy in the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol attack in the second major trial of far-right extremists accused of plotting to forcibly keep President Donald Trump in power.

The verdict against Joseph Hackett of Sarasota, Florida; Roberto Minuta of Prosper, Texas; David Moerschel of Punta Gorda, Florida; and Edward Vallejo of Phoenix, comes weeks after after a different jury convicted the group’s leader, Stewart Rhodes, in the mob’s attack that halted the certification of President Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

It’s another major victory for the Justice Department, which is also trying to secure sedition convictions against the former leader of the Proud Boys and four associates. The trial against Enrique Tarrio and his lieutenants opened earlier this month in Washington and is expected to last several weeks.

They are some of the most serious cases brought so far in the sweeping Jan. 6 investigation, which continues to grow two years after the riot. The Justice Department has brought nearly 1,000 cases and the tally increases by the week.

Defense attorneys sought to downplay violent messages as mere bluster and said the Oath Keepers came to Washington to provide security at events before the riot. They seized on prosecutors’ lack of evidence that the Oath Keepers had an explicit plan to storm the Capitol before Jan. 6 and told jurors that the extremists who attacked the Capitol acted spontaneously like thousands of other rioters.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said she didn’t want it released now because it could impact her cases.

Attorneys for WSB-TV and other media outlets argued that, under Georgia law, the judge was required to release that report, and that the public had a right to know what was in it.

“The state understands the media’s inquiry and the world’s interest,” Willis argued. “But we have to be mindful of protect future defendants’ rights. If that report was released, there somehow could be arguments made that it impacts the right for later individuals, multiple, to get a fair trial.”

Seems like she’s saying she going to be indicting several people shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

Seems like she’s saying she going to be indicting several people shortly.

Does it help her that she fought against it if this going public is used as a defense at trial?

That’s like two nested hypotheticals deep so I’m mostly just curious.