Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

codo27 posted:

Kids are schmucks who watch everything on their drat phones like insane people.

to be fair, phone screens these days are way nicer looking than most people's TVs or laptop screens (or any other device kids might actually want to use)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

to be fair, phone screens these days are way nicer looking than most people's TVs or laptop screens (or any other device kids might actually want to use)

My 9th gen (2021) iPad has the best screen I personally have seen since my corneal transplant last year. I’ve almost stopped streaming to my AppleTV box because everything just looks so drat pretty on it, from YouTube to Netflix to HBOMax. Webpages and text are beautiful and readable at the distance of “sitting on my big belly.” 😬

Sometimes the kids have the right idea…:colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apple is still using IPS screens for ipads, but they're so drat high-resolution that you can forgive any other faults.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I guess their new Macbooks are OLED, but they aren’t calling them OLED? What’s the deal with that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're not OLED, they're mini-LED FALD

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I guess their new Macbooks are OLED, but they aren’t calling them OLED? What’s the deal with that?

Are we sure about that? They're still marketing the new MBP's display with the same branding as last year's MBP display, which was a (slow) IPS with a mini-LED backlight. Not sure why they wouldn't promote the fact that they're using OLED now.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The LED monitors on the newer MacBook Pros look nice as long as you’re watching movies or looking at pictures, but they’re lovely for most other things. The light blooming is really bad. Namely, a white mouse cursor or text on a dark screen will have a halo of light around it.

The IPS screens Apple has been using for the last decade have been great though. Im probably going to downgrade from a 2021 14” pro to a 2020 air.https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it was especially galling when apple directly compared the price of their XDR monitor to a $40,000 reference monitor to make it look like a better deal, but if you compare them in practice you get this

sure those reference monitors are ungodly expensive, but you get HDR performance that no FALD monitor can touch

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My C2 came in today and it looks brilliant, can't wait to game on it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

change my name posted:

My C2 came in today and it looks brilliant, can't wait to game on it

:hellyeah:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

it was especially galling when apple directly compared the price of their XDR monitor to a $40,000 reference monitor to make it look like a better deal, but if you compare them in practice you get this

sure those reference monitors are ungodly expensive, but you get HDR performance that no FALD monitor can touch

Man, I wish dual-layer LCDs actually became a thing beyond reference monitors. I wonder what specifically prevents them from being made for ordinary TVs/monitors. Are they really that expensive to produce? Or is it just the heat/power consumption? (even if you aren't making a 10,000 nit reference monitor?)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

as implemented on these reference monitors it's insanely inefficient, the entire backlight has to run at 1000+ nits if even a single pixel on screen is that bright

that sony burns up to 450W to hit a maximum fullscreen brightness of 1000 (not 10,000) nits and presumably has active cooling to keep the panel from melting

in principle dual-layer panels could be combined with FALD to cut down on the waste but i don't think anyone's done that yet

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Any opinions on the HP X27q? Amazon has it on sale for 210. I’m looking for a budget primary monitor to use for 1440 gaming and productivity. If there’s a big improvement I’d be willing to go up to 300 bucks, and I’d be willing to wait for a sale.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

as implemented on these reference monitors it's insanely inefficient, the entire backlight has to run at 1000+ nits if even a single pixel on screen is that bright

that sony burns up to 450W to hit a maximum fullscreen brightness of 1000 (not 10,000) nits and presumably has active cooling to keep the panel from melting

in principle dual-layer panels could be combined with FALD to cut down on the waste but i don't think anyone's done that yet

That's disappointing to hear. Presumably they also need to use more power for light to penetrate both LCD layers? Because other LED monitors with 1,000+ nits of full-screen brightness don't use anywhere near 450W.

Also I guess I got the sony monitor mixed up with the Canon reference display Vince sometimes rolls out on HDTVtest.

JackBandit posted:

Any opinions on the HP X27q? Amazon has it on sale for 210. I’m looking for a budget primary monitor to use for 1440 gaming and productivity. If there’s a big improvement I’d be willing to go up to 300 bucks, and I’d be willing to wait for a sale.

Potentially a good buy. HP is apparently shipping that model with two different panels though, and one of them is pretty mediocre apparently. I'd consider this Acer monitor as an alternative. As far as I'm aware, it is essentially the same as this monitor but without the USB ports.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 21, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Man, I wish dual-layer LCDs actually became a thing beyond reference monitors. I wonder what specifically prevents them from being made for ordinary TVs/monitors. Are they really that expensive to produce? Or is it just the heat/power consumption? (even if you aren't making a 10,000 nit reference monitor?)

The EU and California would send their regulator-assassins to any company that dared make one

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's disappointing to hear. Presumably they also need to use more power for light to penetrate both LCD layers? Because other monitors with 1,000+ nits of full-screen brightness don't use anywhere near 450W.

attenuation through the second layer is probably a factor too, yeah

i'm struggling to find a similar single-layer monitor to compare power consumption, the XDR is a similar size and also does 1000nits fullscreen but the power consumption is only vaguely defined as 105W in HDR mode without specifying if that's under "average" conditions or peak with the backlight running maxed out. OLEDs don't even get close to 1000nits fullscreen, the LG C2 drops to like 150nits.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Apple is still using IPS screens for ipads, but they're so drat high-resolution that you can forgive any other faults.

When it’s in high frame rate mode, my 2020 Pro has pretty prominent ghosting compared to my desk top M27Q.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 21, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

attenuation through the second layer is probably a factor too, yeah

i'm struggling to find a similar single-layer monitor to compare power consumption, the XDR is a similar size and also does 1000nits fullscreen but the power consumption is only vaguely defined as 105W in HDR mode without specifying if that's under "average" conditions or peak with the backlight running maxed out

https://www.techspot.com/review/2566-cooler-master-tempest-gp27u/

"Power consumption is nothing crazy despite the use of a mini-LED backlight which typically increases power compared to traditional displays. The GP27U actually uses less power than the X27 as it omits the G-Sync module, though you are still looking at about a 10W increase over non-HDR options of the same panel size. This isn't a huge deal as power consumption is manageable on this display, even in the HDR mode which doesn't exceed 100W to show 1000 nits."

450W seems crazy to me to do 1000 nits full screen.

Also, CA/EU regulations can be worked around by simply locking high-panel brightness behind an optional mode you have to enable.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

"Power consumption is nothing crazy despite the use of a mini-LED backlight which typically increases power compared to traditional displays. The GP27U actually uses less power than the X27 as it omits the G-Sync module, though you are still looking at about a 10W increase over non-HDR options of the same panel size. This isn't a huge deal as power consumption is manageable on this display, even in the HDR mode which doesn't exceed 100W to show 1000 nits."

Also, CA/EU regulations can be worked around by simply locking high-panel brightness behind an optional mode you have to enable.

It is crazy but there's no other technology out now that can do per-pixel backlighting while also maintaining the ability to blast full-brightness in full scenes. OLED very quickly has to throttle down average brightness to avoid cooking itself. Maybe Micro-LED when that ever happens?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

actually looking at the X3200, the next model down in sonys lineup, it's a similar size and brightness but without a dual layer panel and that's still specified as an oddly high 280W

some of the power consumption must be coming from elsewhere, maybe the controllers (FPGAs?), maybe the super wide gamut backlight, who knows

we can infer that the overhead of the second layer is an additional 170W though

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 21, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goons, is the PG42UQ really as bunk as it's made out to be, or are the problems I see on Reddit a very vocal minority?

I have heard that it is due to parallax generated by the dual layers resulting in poor off-angle image quality. Great if you're the only person sitting smack dab in the center, but worse if you're not.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 21, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol. the display turns warm at night, what a dumb thing for displays to do (yes I know some people like it). The menus to turn these features off can't be accessed by the single button on the display.

On the plus side I've noticed 0 dead/stuck pixels so that's good.

I'm a dumb dumb and it was windows making the display warm. Why it was turned on? *shrugs* I totally didn't turn it on. Spooky.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 21, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm a dumb dumb and it was windows making the display warm. Why it was turned on? *shrugs* I totally didn't turn it on. Spooky.

It's possible you enabled it by accident from the notification shade thingy. I've hit it before only for it to be on a schedule and turn on later.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Goons, is the PG42UQ really as bunk as it's made out to be, or are the problems I see on Reddit a very vocal minority?

I'm not sure if anyone here has bought one. It seems decent from the reviews, though. What is reddit saying about it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apparently it has a matte finish. a couple weeks ago i was reading something unrelated and apparently there's a subset of gamers real bitter that gaming monitors mostly only come with a matte finish because "i just had to get blackout curtains and now my glossy screen's fine!" lmfao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, I game in a basement so glossy screens are strongly preferable but I don't have passion for it one way or another. It's nice when they have options though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

they're not OLED, they're mini-LED FALD

Ah yeah the search engine auto-generated answer was lying to me. Apple marketing was also lying to me because they said “best ever display in a laptop” which is of course impossible if it’s not OLED.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I bought an Ipad Pro last month with the new mini-LED zones and god the blooming sticks out like a sore thumb, people actually want this?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

It's possible you enabled it by accident from the notification shade thingy. I've hit it before only for it to be on a schedule and turn on later.

Oh absolutely I also don't trust windows to not decide to change my poo poo so whatever.

Truga posted:

apparently it has a matte finish. a couple weeks ago i was reading something unrelated and apparently there's a subset of gamers real bitter that gaming monitors mostly only come with a matte finish because "i just had to get blackout curtains and now my glossy screen's fine!" lmfao

They make the image quality of their displays worse to appeal to who? Who are these people who can't control lighting conditions to the point where they simply can't handle glare and why the gently caress can't they just put a filter on their glossy monitors themselves? Do hey think they are selling tons of these expensive monitors to go in offices or something? Maybe they think people will be bringing my monitor around town instead of a laptop. These displays not being glossy is just absolutely baffling to me. I don't get it.

Lockback posted:

I mean, I game in a basement so glossy screens are strongly preferable but I don't have passion for it one way or another. It's nice when they have options though.

I game in a bed room with four windows and a skylight. I'd still prefer glossy.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a glossy screen, put some clearcoat on it or something :colbert:

Shipon posted:

I bought an Ipad Pro last month with the new mini-LED zones and god the blooming sticks out like a sore thumb, people actually want this?
Yeah that always seems to be the problem for mini led backlights for monitors, but I suppose the RDF is still pretty strong.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm not sure if anyone here has bought one. It seems decent from the reviews, though. What is reddit saying about it?

Short version: Firmware fuckery.
Long version: display not waking from sleep, not reading 12bpp at 138hz, HDR being worse than SDR and washed out, screen intermittently going black, VRR adding latency, bricked monitors, brightness down from stock firmware, non-off pixels for blacks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

They make the image quality of their displays worse to appeal to who?

me, because i already have a shaving mirror, i don't need another one

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hooked up my C2 and man do games look good on this thing, especially with HDR enabled. I am noticing some weird stutters that weren’t present on other 4K monitors I’ve tried, so I know it’s not my system. Are there some setting I should change on the TV-side or something? I have 120hz enabled in Windows and am using a vetted HDMI 2.1 cable.

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 22, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Truga posted:

me, because i already have a shaving mirror, i don't need another one

Your opinion is dumb besides you can just install anti glare film. Nah that's too much to ask better make the picture worse for everyone so Truga doesn't have to do that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can install an anti-matte filter, why would normal people have to bother with installing a normal coating lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Truga posted:

you can install an anti-matte filter, why would normal people have to bother with installing a normal coating lmao

Oh can I? Tell me more. What's that? Oh you're wrong and that doesn't exist. Weird. Why would you even bother buying a new monitor if you enjoy things looking bad?

Wait wait wait maybe you're suggesting I take off the filter with damp paper towels, that always looked like a super easy and convenient thing to do with no risks at all. You're on the wrong side of history just accept it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I like that monitors are available with either finish so that everyone can end up happy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

astral posted:

I like that monitors are available with either finish so that everyone can end up happy.

Wait what? Who makes a glossy gaming monitor? Dough/Eve claims to but that doesn't really count.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why would that not count?

I’ve been trying to decide between a glossy dough monitor or an apple studio monitor, and I’m leaning toward the dough mostly because I don’t want a camera and microphone in my house that I can’t control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Because dough is a borderline scam company and you're not gonna see a monitor for a couple years (if at all) if you order one now.