Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I had never watched blade runner in its entirety in a sober enough state to remember any of it

Fixed that recently and.... Its okay? The effects and general feel were good but it felt like not much really happened and I don't get the hype that surrounds it for some- and it was probably underwhelming in part because of that

happyhippy posted:

There are reasons people obsess over The Shining, well worth a watch.
My movie confession is never seen any of the Godfathers.

Its pretty good and influenced a bunch of other things and is worth a watch imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

I had never watched blade runner in its entirety in a sober enough state to remember any of it

Fixed that recently and.... Its okay? The effects and general feel were good but it felt like not much really happened and I don't get the hype that surrounds it for some- and it was probably underwhelming in part because of that

Maybe it's the age of it. I saw previews of it before it was released back in the early 80s at a science fiction convention in Brighton (1982) and it seemed fantastic then.
I haven't watched it since back then so not sure how I'd find it over 40 years later! It's probably also one of those atmospheric films that's better on the big screen to suck you in.

Now I'm reminded of Liquid Sky - full thing on youtube. That was a weird film. An alien creature invades New York's punk subculture in its search for an opiate released by the brain during orgasm. I have a vague memory of dinner plate sized space ships and shard of glass when the orgasms happened. Must give it another watch seeing as Saturday night tv is so crap. As is Friday night and Monday night.

This panel seems a bit orange. I remember the film as being more blue shades. But that was 40 years ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIhqT5bkEM

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 21, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty sure rice was a staple in the 50s, all my now dead elderly aunts and uncles were really into kedgeree.

The made curry too, but added raisins for some hosed up reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As I remember it, it's less that he matures and more that he becomes physically ill at the though of violence (physical or sexual) because the truly awful thing about Ludvico's technique is that it works - it's just that the rest of society is still hosed, so when he runs into one of his old victims (or IIRC the husband of the person he's living with) and they attack him, he can't defend himself against the level of violence society has deemed 'normal' - restorative justice turning him into the ideal pacifist fails because the society they turf him out into isn't ideal or pacifistic. In that respect yes, missing out the end of the book omits a massive chunk of its message.

No, I think you're misremembering him encountering his old gang who are cops now and beat the poo poo out of him and he can't defend himself. Later on he's leading a new gang and finds that the thrill just isn't there anymore.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

Pretty sure rice was a staple in the 50s, all my now dead elderly aunts and uncles were really into kedgeree.

The made curry too, but added raisins for some hosed up reason.

Coronation chicken is from the 50s and involves curry powder (and sultanas)

e: and it's apparently based on the similar "Jubilee chicken" of 1935

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think it's supposed to be less historical fact and more if you make a giant meme saying nothing but REMEMBER WHEN THERE WE'RENT ASIANS? you get done for racism (these days)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebzilla posted:

I like sultanas in my curry(a very 70s thing for me)... but then i also add cinnamon/allspice when i'm making bacon stew. :shrug:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DesperateDan posted:

The last paragraph which was about the Godfather can just as easily be applied to Blade Runner.
It's hugely influenced Sci-fi since it came out.
It has a incredible engaging world and it's visually stunning and it's practical effects largely hold up. Meanwhile the basic plot is well done, and it's got some great dialogue.

Also there is the whole interest about the Directors intention of the story versus the lead actors intentions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sebzilla posted:

What exciting new food are we going to get for Chuck’s big day though

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Coronary Chicken

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

The effects and general feel were good but it felt like not much really happened and I don't get the hype that surrounds it for some- and it was probably underwhelming in part because of that
It's probably one of those things where it was groundbreaking and visually stunning at the time, but we just take it for granted now. There's a reason that every time anyone shows a clip of it, it's usually the shots of the city with Vangelis in the background, because it must have been incredible to have seen that in a cinema at the time having never seen anything like that before.

The sequel tried so hand to recapture that magic, but it's just gone now. There are so many films that modern audiences don't appreciate, because the ground those films broke is now just the default for everything that followed. That's not a slight on modern audiences, it's just the reality of one group viewing with the spectacle normalised.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

DesperateDan posted:

I value BR because of its atmosphere and its influence on later media. Not sure what the general position is on BR2049 now (everyone thought it would be poo poo before it came out, then it was widely praised, and now I think I've seen some generally negative takes on it on the forums?), but I think it's superior to the original. I love Villeneuve's takes on sci-fi, though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

A handful of raw Cumberland sausages

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I thought BR2049 was pretty good, especially with the sound and visual design. Villanueve is a fantastic director, especially at capturing the right kind of atmosphere. I thought his Dune really struck it out of the park for the same reasons (very hard to put something like Dune to film).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Mate went to Turkey last year for new robot hair. Looks great now. Was still like 5k I think. Apparently the town he went to read full of Brits with bandaged heads playing golf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's probably one of those things where it was groundbreaking and visually stunning at the time, but we just take it for granted now. There's a reason that every time anyone shows a clip of it, it's usually the shots of the city with Vangelis in the background, because it must have been incredible to have seen that in a cinema at the time having never seen anything like that before.
Imagining audiences in 1982 in thrall to an aerial shot of Middlesbrough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Imagining audiences in 1982 in thrall to an aerial shot of Middlesbrough.

It does look quite nice from the top of ormesby bank, if you like that sort of thing :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

my only regret about blade runner 2049 was that i didn’t see it in the cinema, the visuals are just amazing

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

The sound design also really stands out in a theatre, really impressive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The sequel tried so hand to recapture that magic, but it's just gone now. There are so many films that modern audiences don't appreciate, because the ground those films broke is now just the default for everything that followed. That's not a slight on modern audiences, it's just the reality of one group viewing with the spectacle normalised.

Alien is a brilliant example of this.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I normally don't like going to the cinema but I wish I'd seen the recent Dune in one.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I normally don't like going to the cinema but I wish I'd seen the recent Dune in one.

The best thing about new Dune was the Sound/Score and in the cinema was fantastic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

serious gaylord posted:

Alien is a brilliant example of this.

Have often wondered how people back in 1910 who jumped out of the way of trains on screen would think if they were showed Alien.

And in turn, is there a film from 2100 or so that will shock us to our cores you think?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Have often wondered how people back in 1910 who jumped out of the way of trains on screen would think if they were showed Alien.

And in turn, is there a film from 2100 or so that will shock us to our cores you think?

i think you would have murdered dozens of people with shock

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chubby Henparty posted:

He's out with his new droogs, meets his mate who didn't become a pig, and his good lady wife, and realises aftet all he went through he's just grown out of it.

Yep, that's it:

quote:

So thinking like this with my gulliver bent and my rookers stuck in my trouser carmans I walked the town, brothers, and at last I began to feel very tired and also in great need of a nice bolshy chasha of milky chai. Thinking about this chai, I got a sudden like picture of me sitting before a bolshy fire in an armchair peeting away at this chai, and what was funny and very very strange was that I seemed to have turned into a very starry chelloveck, about seventy years old, because I could viddy my own voloss, which was very grey, and I also had whiskers, and these were very grey too. I could viddy myself as an old man, sitting by a fire, and then the like picture vanished. But it was very like strange.

I came to one of these tea-and-coffee mestos, brothers, and I could viddy through the long long window that it was full of very dull lewdies, like ordinary, who had these very patient and expressionless litsos and would do no harm to no one, all sitting there and govoreeting like quietly and peeting away at their nice harmless chai and coffee. I ittied inside and went up to the counter and bought me a nice hot chai with plenty of moloko, then I ittied to one of these tables and sat down to peet it. There was a like young couple at this table, peeting and smoking filter-tip cancers, and govoreeting and smecking very quietly between themselves, but I took no notice of them and just went on peeting away and like dreaming and wondering what was going to happen to me. But I viddied that the devotchka at this table who was with this chelloveck was real horrorshow, not the sort you would want to like throw down and give the old in-out in-out to, but with a horrorshow plott and litso and a smiling rot and very very fair voloss and all that cal. And then the veck with her, who had a hat on his gulliver and had his litso like turned away from me, swivelled round to viddy the boshy big clock they had on the wall in this mesto, and then I viddied who he was and then he viddied who I was. It was Pete, one of my three droogs from those days when it was Georgie and Dim and him and me. It was Pete like looking older though he could not now be more than nineteen and a bit, and he had a bit of a moustache and an ordinary day-suit and this hat on. I said:

'Well well well, droogie, what gives? Very very long time no viddy.' He said:

'It's little Alex, isn't it?'

'None other,' I said. 'A long long long time since those dead and gone good days. And now poor Georgie, they told me, is underground and old Dim is a brutal millicent, and here is thou and here is I, and what news hast thou, old droogie?'

'He talks funny, doesn't he?' said the devotchka, like giggling.

'This,' said Pete to the devotchka, 'is an old friend. His name is Alex. May I,' he said to me, 'introduce my wife?'

My rot fell wide open then. 'Wife?' I like gasped. 'Wife wife wife? Ah no, that cannot be. Too young art thou to be married, old droog. Impossible impossible.'

This devotchka who was like Pete's wife (impossible impossible) giggled again and said to Pete: 'Did you used to talk like that too?'

'Well,' said Pete, and he like smiled. 'I'm nearly twenty. Old enough to be hitched, and it's been two months already. You were very young and very forward, remember.'

'Well,' I like gaped still. 'Over this get can I not, old droogie. Pete married. Well well well.'

'We have a small flat,' said Pete. 'I am earning very small money at State Marine Insurance, but things will get better, that I know. And Georgina here-'

'What again is that name?' I said, rot still open like bezoomny. Pete's wife (wife, brothers) like giggled again.

'Georgina,' said Pete. 'Georgina works too. Typing, you know. We manage, we manage.' I could not, brothers, take my glazzies off him, really. He was like grown up now, with a grown-up goloss and all. 'You must,' said Pete, 'come and see us sometime. You still,' he said, 'look very young, despite all your terrible experiences. Yes yes yes, we've read all about them. But, of course, you are very young still.'

'Eighteen,' I said, 'just gone.'

'Eighteen, eh?' said Pete. 'As old as that. Well well well. Now,' he said, 'we have to be going.' And he like gave this Georgina of his a like loving look and pressed one of her rookers between his and she gave him one of these looks back, O my brothers. 'Yes,' said Pete, turning back to me, 'we're off to a little party at Greg's.'

'Greg?' I said.

'Oh, of course,' said Pete, 'you wouldn't know Greg, would you? Greg is after your time. While you were away Greg came into the picture. He runs little parties, you know. Mostly wine-cup and word-games. But very nice, very pleasant, you know. Harmless, if you see what I mean.'

'Yes,' I said. 'Harmless. Yes yes, I viddy that real horrorshow.' And this Georgina devotchka giggled again at my slovos. And then these two ittied off to their vonny word-games at this Greg's, whoever he was. I was left all on my oddy knocky with my milky chai, which was getting cold now, like thinking and wondering.

Perhaps that was it, I kept thinking. Perhaps I was getting too old for the sort of jeezny I had been leading, brothers. I was eighteen now, just gone. Eighteen was not a young age. At eighteen old Wolfgang Amadeus had written concertos and symphonies and operas and oratorios and all that cal, no, not cal, heavenly music. And then there was old Felix M. with his Midsummer Night's Dream Overture. And there were others. And there was this like French poet set by old Benjy Britt, who had done all his best poetry by the age of fifteen, O my brothers. Arthur, his first name. Eighteen was not all that young an age, then. But what was I going to do?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yeah I saw both BR2049 and Dune multiple times on the big screen so I could experience them with/without a large dose of edibles. For me, they were each the best movie of their respective years

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There are so many films that modern audiences don't appreciate, because the ground those films broke is now just the default for everything that followed. That's not a slight on modern audiences, it's just the reality of one group viewing with the spectacle normalised.

idk if it's true or not, but I remember being told that a part of the impact of the opening scene of The Wild Bunch had on its original release was that William Holden was cast against his usual type. So even if you knew that the film was about murderous outlaws, it was a surprise seeing someone who generally played a nice guy and was wearing the uniform of people who were generally good guys in that kind of film growling "If they move, kill 'em!" and blasting his way out of town with little regard for who got shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Now I'm reminded of Liquid Sky - full thing on youtube. That was a weird film. An alien creature invades New York's punk subculture in its search for an opiate released by the brain during orgasm. I have a vague memory of dinner plate sized space ships and shard of glass when the orgasms happened. Must give it another watch seeing as Saturday night tv is so crap. As is Friday night and Monday night.

This panel seems a bit orange. I remember the film as being more blue shades. But that was 40 years ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIhqT5bkEM

The version on YouTube is quite heavily censored and cut down. Full fat Liquid Sky is much better.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
loving hell
https://twitter.com/TownsendMark/status/1616863397059895297?cxt=HHwWgoCxga6soPAsAAAA

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

The version on YouTube is quite heavily censored and cut down. Full fat Liquid Sky is much better.

I shall see if I can find it.

This might be it (well 6 mins shorter than the original apparently, but 9 mins longer than the youtube).

https://archive.org/details/liqud-sky-1983

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 21, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

idk if it's true or not, but I remember being told that a part of the impact of the opening scene of The Wild Bunch had on its original release was that William Holden was cast against his usual type.
I was saying that to my wife about Aliens - up to that point Paul Reiser had only really been known for his wholesome TV sitcom role, and media hadn't really hit the 'corporations bad' undertone we're all used to, so at the time Burke's actions in the medlab were probably not as obvious to audiences at the time.

But there's also the running joke in Kill James Bond where they refer to films as being from 'before they invented pacing,' and there are a lot of old, beloved films I know in my heart I'll never get the missus to sit down and watch with me because the benchmark for what was acceptable when that film came out was so, so much lower.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah Shakespeare is pretty poo poo now stacked up against things like dan brown.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Strange there are no comments under that tweet.
I was dreading to see loads of 'yeah but they're not kids they're 30 year old male crooks come to rape ArE WiMMin.'

The powers that be do not care.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

Honestly don’t know why Keith isn’t going harder on sleaze. They’re all absolutely mired in it, far worse than when Blair went hard on it in the 90s
Ah, but you see, that would be PLAYING POLITICS, the words from which Sir Keir recoils like a vampire from a cross, and furthermore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

The original is overrated, the book is very different but still tells the story better and Deckard isn't a hapless buffoon in it. BR2049 is a masterpiece, however.

THAT SAID it still falls under the umbrella of a movie that was incredibly ambitious with practical effects so I'll defend it even if I didn't like it much. BR2049 also has far less CGI than you'd think and is a testament to the fact that more films should burn their green screens now that I've got my doubts that it's even cheaper to do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah Shakespeare is pretty poo poo now stacked up against things like dan brown.

Say what you will about Dan Brown but at least he uses real words rather than this made up thee & thou poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's what most educated people would have said during the English Enlightenment (if they'd known who Dan Brown was), Shakespeare was regarded as trash and cringe until German Romantics made him cool again. And then Victorian academics edited out all the love sonnets to dudes.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, that's it:

Thank you for reminding me why I have never got more than a couple pages into this book, gently caress me what a boring chore of a read 😆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Royal Mail's head of cybersecurity was helping to break the strikes by delivering mail

It's such lovely schadenfreude. :allears:

It's now 10 days since anyone has been able to send anything abroad that needs customs clearance