Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

site posted:

in my experience, extending this into hyperbole of people's real position (the acknowledgment of the bad to move beyond it and its baggage) is mainly an excuse to say it's they're wrong and not have to deal with it. it's okay to just say that tolkien's writings were a huge influence on the genre, and also that it's okay for current fantasy authors to not use the racial stereotypes of tolkien's material even though it's now considered archetypal

That's literally exactly what I'm trying to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think it's important to remember that outside of Tolkien, a lot of people we consider extremely influential in the sci-fi/fantasy genres from the 1930s to the 1960s and some of the 70s, were published in genre fiction magazines, and would gain prominence due to the readership sending in fan letters which would then amplify those individual authors. There was a level of incestousness to it as well, as authors who became prolific and profitable in those magazines would often then communicate with each other and develop friendships, and basically help boost each other's work. It was a massive boy's club and often came down to nepotism and internal drama forming an ebb and flow of opportunity for them. There are a lot of terrible authors who became incredibly influential as a result, and even though their contemporaries may have been doing the same thing but better, they're the ones who got credit because through chance they caught notice. It's not an absurd thing to say that much of our canon of genre fiction is basically entrenched purely through perpetuating the memetic idea that they're important. The era of sci-fi and fantasy mags was basically a proto-Twitter. They were popularity contests, and if you managed to get your submission vetted, and enough dorks to latch onto some glimmer of creativity in your work, you could become a future God of science fiction.

This is really stark when you compare people like Ursula K. Le Guin, an astonishingly intelligent and prescient author, to writers like L. Ron Hubbard, who managed to gain a large readership even pre-Scientology despite being absolute garbage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

unknown butthole posted:

That's literally exactly what I'm trying to say

ah well i misunderstood your initial comments then. sorry

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think it's really sad people judge writers by their writing and not the writer picture in the back or front or wherever. Anyway I like Dresden Files. Oh looks like there's two I haven't read, rad.

edit: Also the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" is the stupid what with that being the point of a cover.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I disagree with that. It's a very common assessment of his work, but I don't think it's true, he's not Joyce or Faulkner or Hemingway, but his prose was functional towards its purposes and he managed to imbue the trilogy with an emotional core that you just can't manage unless you have some ability. It's sure as gently caress better than the vast majority of fantasy fiction which is a dreadful genre for the most part.

Joyce is probably the worst writer that has ever existed, but I'm not sure if that's because of his actual writing talents or because gaelic is the language equivalent of 10,000 nuns scratching their nails across an endless blackboard forever

e: Actually I hate Hemingway too :argh: These writers all suck. I've never read anything by Faulkner but that's b/c I have no interest in anything from the American South, but in general "classic literature" is bad, just like classic rock, oldschool rap, retro video games, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

deep dish peat moss posted:

Joyce is probably the worst writer that has ever existed, but I'm not sure if that's because of his actual writing talents or because gaelic is the language equivalent of 10,000 nuns scratching their nails across an endless blackboard forever

e: Actually I hate Hemingway too :argh: These writers all suck. I've never read anything by Faulkner but that's b/c I have no interest in anything from the American South.

They're all extremely good writers and have basically shaped modern literature. If you've read Cormac McCarthy, you have read something heavily inspired by Faulkner.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started to read Blood Meridian once but I think I made it like 10 pages in before setting it down and never picking it back up.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

When it came out that Sunless Sea and Cultist Simulator were made by a sexpest I don't recall anyone talking about "separating" those works from their awful creators, a lot of people dropped those games without question. He wasn't even part of the Fallen London (Failbetter) team anymore so Sunless Sea should have been in the clear but that didn't seem to matter

I don't think anyone expects you to thoroughly research a game's developers, but if you happen to know that they're directly holding up someone terrible then you should consider not supporting them. This is one of the only meaningful actions that you can take as a consumer and it takes literally no effort, in fact it's really less than no effort - you just have to not do something. It sounds like Kingdom Come Deliverance was made by a white nationalist so I'm going to not buy it, it's so easy

It’s because those games were bad

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

It’s because those games were bad

Sunless Sea is basically Sid Meier's Pirates with better story hooks, except it punishes you for trying to do boring merchant trader poo poo and rewards you for being a swashbuckling explorer who bangs squid persons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Note: I don't think I read good authors all that much though, I read a lot of surreal postmodern bimbos, here's my newest/most recent reads bookshelf

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Sunless Sea is basically Sid Meier's Pirates with better story hooks, except it punishes you for trying to do boring merchant trader poo poo and rewards you for being a swashbuckling explorer who bangs squid persons

I played it. It’s bad

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
imagine holding more than one thought in your head at a time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The only thing I ever heard about Sunless Sea was "Goddamn this game is too slow/boring".

There's still far too much AAA Gatcha/GaaS and indie trash out there to give a poo poo about some random idiot's twitter account. Blessed be the gamer whose favorite genre is so oversaturated that he can afford to care about that crap.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Murakami sucks so much rear end

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah he's the Surreal Postmodern Bimbo in the OP. I really like some of his work though particularly his short stories. After Dark and Dance Dance Dance are cool. And some parts of Kafka on the Shore are incredibly cool. But other parts of it are incredibly bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gaius Marius posted:

:actually:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FoolyCharged posted:

The artist's ideology always is a part of their art, though.

Prove it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I started to read Blood Meridian once but I think I made it like 10 pages in before setting it down and never picking it back up.

Hey thread ur rear end is showing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

:hmmyes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Hey thread ur rear end is showing

turn it on

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

if you buy any video game made by a large enough team, chances are real good you're supporting at least one person who is a bad person, probably more than one person. Separate that!!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I have a degree in literature and haven't read a single Murakami book lol I see no reason to change that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sunless Seas/Sky makes me cranky because it could have been a prettier, cooler world, Escape Velocity and fun instead it was way too slow and not fun. Cultist Simulator is barely a game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I read Norwegian wood and it made me want to never read any murakami again

George
Nov 27, 2004

Most of the time when someone says "separate art from artist" what they mean is "ignore that it was made by a bad person" or "like it anyway". You do the former at your peril, but the latter is perfectly reasonable.

Art is big and complicated and affects us on many levels. You can like poo poo made by monsters but it's important to fully understand whether, how, and where their monstrosity shows in their work.

A lot of you are reducing this to weird consumerism and it's so much bigger than that. You should obviously be pirating stuff made by bad people, as well as most stuff made by good people probably.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I read Norwegian wood and it made me want to never read any murakami again

That one is not only really bad, but also entirely unlike anything else he has written. That one is like a weird Celebration of the Boomer romance novel thing. But almost everything else he writes is weird surreal metaphysical mumbo jumbo that's very non-Boomer.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 21, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

That one is not only really bad, but also entirely unlike anything else he has written. That one is like a weird Celebration of the Boomer romance novel thing. But almost everything else he writes is weird surreal metaphysical mumbo jumbo that's very non-Boomer.

What murakami would you recommend if I hated Norwegian wood

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not sure I would recommend Murakami because there are a lot of valid things about his books that people hate. But I enjoyed After Dark, which is fairly short (200ish pages) and a good look at what Murakami's writing is like (hard to follow and regularly doesn't even try to make sense :v: ), and iirc doesn't contain any cringey sex stuff like many of his books do. but be warned that it has no traditional "ending" and makes no attempt to wrap things up for you at the end. It just kind of ends abruptly b/c the entire point of it is following these characters through one night, and their story doesn't conclude within that night. It got panned in reviews largely because of that.

I think Kafka on the Shore is my personal favorite overall but it's also very divisive and definitely has some incredibly cringy parts.

e: I mean I think there's still a lot of like, symbolic resolution and stuff in After Dark - the themes of the book do wrap themselves up if you read between the lines, but the actual story of the characters it follows is not concluded.

He's definitely a love it or hate it kind of author and if anything (other than Norwegian Wood because it truly is very different from the rest) doesn't grip you it's probably best to just avoid him. You need kind of a whole lot of suspension of disbelief with him because suddenly out of nowhere you'll get to a passage where it's like, okay now some animal spirit came out of nowhere and teleported everyone to a weird dream forest and they never get back to whatever they were doing before that, even though the entire book before now was grounded in reality and nothing like that was foreshadowed. The stories make little sense but they're v. emotional journeys through a lot of overwroght flowery prose. and I think something I appreciate about his writing (which is also something others hate) is that he has a way of taking the petty "oh boo-hoo, woe is me" story of an individual and portraying it as this psychic world-ending tsunami. And his characters are whiny babies a lot of the time. But also a lot of his stories are about youth and how confusing the world is the first time you experience everything, so it feels appropriate and sets the mood well (imo).

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 21, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His nonfiction book on Aum is actually pretty good, although I'm unsure If I ever finished it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can also try to do more to support people who are good. I bought new copies of the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise when Hideo Kojima killed Shinzo Abe

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They're all extremely good writers and have basically shaped modern literature. If you've read Cormac McCarthy, you have read something heavily inspired by Faulkner.

I've tried to read McCarthy several times but that man's crusade against punctuation of any stripe has lead to me just writing him off as some dude that probably wrote some cool stuff that just isn't for me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

QuarkJets posted:

You can also try to do more to support people who are good. I bought new copies of the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise when Hideo Kojima killed Shinzo Abe

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Omg shut the hell up and talk about Galaga or something. Remember Galaga Legions back in the PS360 era? That was rad. It revolutionized the Galaga formula by giving you THREE ships. Not two, three. And you could have each shooting in a different place.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I'm not sure I would recommend Murakami because there are a lot of valid things about his books that people hate. But I enjoyed After Dark, which is fairly short (200ish pages) and a good look at what Murakami's writing is like (hard to follow and regularly doesn't even try to make sense :v: ), and iirc doesn't contain any cringey sex stuff like many of his books do. but be warned that it has no traditional "ending" and makes no attempt to wrap things up for you at the end. It just kind of ends abruptly b/c the entire point of it is following these characters through one night, and their story doesn't conclude within that night. It got panned in reviews largely because of that.

I think Kafka on the Shore is my personal favorite overall but it's also very divisive and definitely has some incredibly cringy parts.

e: I mean I think there's still a lot of like, symbolic resolution and stuff in After Dark - the themes of the book do wrap themselves up if you read between the lines, but the actual story of the characters it follows is not concluded.

He's definitely a love it or hate it kind of author and if anything (other than Norwegian Wood because it truly is very different from the rest) doesn't grip you it's probably best to just avoid him. You need kind of a whole lot of suspension of disbelief with him because suddenly out of nowhere you'll get to a passage where it's like, okay now some animal spirit came out of nowhere and teleported everyone to a weird dream forest and they never get back to whatever they were doing before that, even though the entire book before now was grounded in reality and nothing like that was foreshadowed. The stories make little sense but they're v. emotional journeys through a lot of overwroght flowery prose. and I think something I appreciate about his writing (which is also something others hate) is that he has a way of taking the petty "oh boo-hoo, woe is me" story of an individual and portraying it as this psychic world-ending tsunami. And his characters are whiny babies a lot of the time. But also a lot of his stories are about youth and how confusing the world is the first time you experience everything, so it feels appropriate and sets the mood well (imo).

Killing Commendatore was great but it was also extremely bad. It's hard to recommend Murakami

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

I think it's important to remember that outside of Tolkien, a lot of people we consider extremely influential in the sci-fi/fantasy genres from the 1930s to the 1960s and some of the 70s, were published in genre fiction magazines, and would gain prominence due to the readership sending in fan letters which would then amplify those individual authors. There was a level of incestousness to it as well, as authors who became prolific and profitable in those magazines would often then communicate with each other and develop friendships, and basically help boost each other's work. It was a massive boy's club and often came down to nepotism and internal drama forming an ebb and flow of opportunity for them. There are a lot of terrible authors who became incredibly influential as a result, and even though their contemporaries may have been doing the same thing but better, they're the ones who got credit because through chance they caught notice. It's not an absurd thing to say that much of our canon of genre fiction is basically entrenched purely through perpetuating the memetic idea that they're important. The era of sci-fi and fantasy mags was basically a proto-Twitter. They were popularity contests, and if you managed to get your submission vetted, and enough dorks to latch onto some glimmer of creativity in your work, you could become a future God of science fiction.

This is really stark when you compare people like Ursula K. Le Guin, an astonishingly intelligent and prescient author, to writers like L. Ron Hubbard, who managed to gain a large readership even pre-Scientology despite being absolute garbage.

fuckin Ben Bova

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I sometimes get stupidly mad that new good things will never get the recognition that old mediocre or even bad things enjoy.

How many games made today will ever be as well known as loving tic tac toe? Infuriating!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Note: I don't think I read good authors all that much though, I read a lot of surreal postmodern bimbos, here's my newest/most recent reads bookshelf

Ugh. 1Q84 is loving terrible. I got it because I was in the mood for something else, but only made it halfway through before just giving up on it. I think I gave it to someone else when clearing out some old books.

fridge corn posted:

What murakami would you recommend if I hated Norwegian wood

Probably something that isn't written by murakami.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Phigs posted:

I sometimes get stupidly mad that new good things will never get the recognition that old mediocre or even bad things enjoy.

How many games made today will ever be as well known as loving tic tac toe? Infuriating!

This is actually a huge pain in the rear end because serious conversations about how gaming has evolved over the years will literally just boil down into "Everything old was better." line of thinking and it gets so utterly mindless that people start calling the inventory system or combat in Fallout 1 and 2 good just because they're old and thus must do everything perfectly even though those aspects of the games have aged like poo poo and were never good to begin with.

If I hear "modern games just care about realistic graphics" one more time I'm gonna poo poo myself, people were saying the same exact poo poo back when Quake II unveiled colored lighting.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

galagazombie posted:

Omg shut the hell up and talk

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They're training to be a policeman