Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Clanne feels like one of the best characters in the earlygame tbh.

Even if that is just because he is a mage fast enough to double a lot of dudes.

Eh, I felt like he lacks in damage and you get Celine like 3 chapters later who feels just better than him, specially since she gets extra powerful vulnearies.

Framme meanwhile is your only healer till you get Emblem Micaiah, and scrolls beong brave weapons means she can pack a punch with Alear's personal and a forged scroll. Frail as gently caress ofc.

Also, people complaining about Tiki's paralogue being tedious af, but is it hard? I wanna turn my guys into dragons ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Clanne is weak but he's still targeting RES so he'll be putting out ranged damage and can secure kills or chunk people reliably.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Eh, I felt like he lacks in damage and you get Celine like 3 chapters later who feels just better than him, specially since she gets extra powerful vulnearies.

Framme meanwhile is your only healer till you get Emblem Micaiah, and scrolls beong brave weapons means she can pack a punch with Alear's personal and a forged scroll. Frail as gently caress ofc.

Also, people complaining about Tiki's paralogue being tedious af, but is it hard? I wanna turn my guys into dragons ASAP.

I played it on hard, i would say it's moderately difficult just due to the sheer number of reinforcements, and there are a lot of enemies that have ranged attacks that ignore def/res which are quite dangerous.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean being a less good Celine means hes a top 3 early game unit instead of top 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RevolverDivider posted:

Clanne is weak but he's still targeting RES so he'll be putting out ranged damage and can secure kills or chunk people reliably.

You get a second mage really quickly after Celine and not long after that, you can second seal Anna into a mage that will almost immediately match Clanne's stats while having infinitely better growths.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

It's got one real rude enemy type whose attack ignores defense and sets your movement to 0 for a turn, but if you've got a way to handle those you should be set.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's got one real rude enemy type whose attack ignores defense and sets your movement to 0 for a turn, but if you've got a way to handle those you should be set.

Okay, I'll wait a few chapter then for more unit variety since I still have just 1 sword in Alear.

Tae posted:

You get a second mage really quickly after Celine and not long after that, you can second seal Anna into a mage that will almost immediately match Clanne's stats while having infinitely better growths.

Yeah, it's mostly that, sure he's useful but I see him outclassed in no time. Also he barely doubles IMO, except knights but every mage can double knights.

A bit of an aside, but are there any restrictions on engraving emblems in weapons? Because 100 bond fragments for a free boost to Mt, less Wt and such seems... really good. Is it one per weapon? Also what was the difference vetween Avoid and Dodge, the crit evasion?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
avoid is hit evasion, dodge is crit evasion

you can only do one of each engraving; if you already have the marth engraving on one weapon and try to add it to another, the first one will be erased

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
are people saying this game's hard is harder than three houses hard? normal is certainly even easier than three houses normal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why is there a random village in Firenne full of British people?

it's on its own island so obviously the separation from the main land lead accents to develop differently there. this is all the world-building they could muster this time

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
On ch.6 this game has teeth TEETH I see

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://twitter.com/tray790x/status/1616594121015033856

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game's hard is a fair bit harder than 3h hard. its not insanely hard but id compare it to like, FE7 hard. Not really in terms of game design (enemies are way stronger than individual enemies in FE7), just in terms of like, 'there are a few maps that are pretty tough and there's rarely a point where you can completely shut off.' compare that to 3H hard which was still basically a cake walk.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

lih posted:

are people saying this game's hard is harder than three houses hard? normal is certainly even easier than three houses normal

Three Houses Hard didn't stop me up for a solid half of the game for any reason. My first hiccup was like... The Flayn/Seteth Paralogue because of the movement shenanigans. I came to this thread for help twice now a mere five chapters in. Admittedly I'm the same guy playing Shadow Dragon on normal, because 100% gently caress the nonsense bosses have for stats in Hard+. Maybe it's information overload (Break, Types, Engage, etc.) but I am finding Engage a lot harder to penetrate, it feels a lot more like Conquest than literally any other title in the series I've played (which means no JP only titles, I should fix that). Point is, if you think this is easier than 3H Hard then you played a completely different 3H from me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chain guard is busted

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just finished Chapter 9 and I think my opinion has turned around on this game. It's pretty solid for an ensemble piece and I do like a lot of the Somniel activities that are available. The weapon break system I think is pretty cool and the Engage system adds some depth & complexity to character builds that i'm sure will enable people to just smash through the game like it's no problem.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So far my Anna has procd her strength growth every level and has the highest in my party. Not sure how much of that to attribute to immediately stapling Tiki onto her but small Axe Anna rules

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yunaka continues to rule 30 hours in. Zappy!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vander's really blowing smoke up my rear end, if the dude wants a raise he can have it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chapter 12 actually made me use all of my rewind charges on hard mode, which never happened in Three Houses or Echoes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Diamant's been my main man since I got him

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zore posted:

So far my Anna has procd her strength growth every level and has the highest in my party. Not sure how much of that to attribute to immediately stapling Tiki onto her but small Axe Anna rules

This is funny because Anna's gimmick is that she has a very low strength growth and a better magic growth than I believe any other character in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barreft posted:

Yunaka continues to rule 30 hours in. Zappy!

She instantly became one of my favorite units. Daggers rule and she's so dodgy, it's great

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

This is funny because Anna's gimmick is that she has a very low strength growth and a better magic growth than I believe any other character in the game.

I just looked on Serenes and holy poo poo, 50 base Mag growth :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Forging Yunaka a +4 Dagger, sticking the Micaiah engraving on it, buying her Avoid +10 and giving her Marth's ring... it's very fun

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
To confirm something I heard elsewhere: Can you second seal to reset to level 1 in the same or a different advanced class? Further, does the game do internal level tracking such that doing this actually doesn't mess with your XP curve? Because if both of those are true, it's actually better to promote ASAP as long as you can spare the second seals later on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh goddammit Clanne is voiced by Deku, now I just start laughing when he talks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

To confirm something I heard elsewhere: Can you second seal to reset to level 1 in the same or a different advanced class? Further, does the game do internal level tracking such that doing this actually doesn't mess with your XP curve? Because if both of those are true, it's actually better to promote ASAP as long as you can spare the second seals later on.
there seems to be some sort of internal level thing because if you reclass vander down he gets no exp. you can second seal into the same class if you're level 20.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm a huge idiot and got hit with a screenshot that was a super spoiler. Not too mad because lol this is Engage and it's not as bad as the time my friend casually said "so you know Edelgard is the Flame Emperor, yeah?" when I very much did not, but still, bleh.

My own drat fault.

Anyway, up through Chapter 6, having fun! I am playing on Normal for my first playthrough and it's pretty breezy, I look forward to future playthroughs on Hard while not using rings and all sorts of dumb poo poo.

Hiya papaya made me upset.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yunaka makes me wish for an Assassin class, but I guess I'll just get her to lvl 40 Thief and seal her

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do not understand why FE is so inconsistent with whether thieves should have a promotion or not. Especially this game, where thieves have minimal utility.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

After some testing it appears that exp is entirely based on internal level and that is not affected by promotion.

I repeat, promotion does not negatively impact experience gain at all, so unless you're concerned about hitting the cap too early and not having money for second seals, it is ALWAYS better to promote at level 10 because you get base stat boosts and promoted classes have better growths.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Also one tiny thing that's driving me nuts: let me see actual weapon stats!!!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

After some testing it appears that exp is entirely based on internal level and that is not affected by promotion.

I repeat, promotion does not negatively impact experience gain at all, so unless you're concerned about hitting the cap too early and not having money for second seals, it is ALWAYS better to promote at level 10.
gently caress you I will never promote before 20 :argh:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I do not understand why FE is so inconsistent with whether thieves should have a promotion or not. Especially this game, where thieves have minimal utility.

Especially when her backstory is literally being an assassin in hiding and acting like Zappy! as a front. I was sad when I looked it up and saw no assassin like class

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lih posted:

I'm at chapter 6 and yeah hard mode definitely feels harder than in three houses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want an assassin class the s-rank marisa (sacred stones) bond ring gives lethality.

theshim posted:

Also one tiny thing that's driving me nuts: let me see actual weapon stats!!!

select a unit, select items, hover over a weapon, press x

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

select a unit, select items, hover over a weapon, press x
doesn't work on enemies!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is there any actual reason youd need to know an enemy's stats on their weapon, though?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

is there any actual reason youd need to know an enemy's stats on their weapon, though?
effective weaponry

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

if you want an assassin class the s-rank marisa (sacred stones) bond ring gives lethality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

effective weaponry

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The difference between 3H Hard and Engage Hard is enormous. Engage Hard has teeth at times and will punish you for being sloppy. I can't think of a single time in 3H Hard I was even in danger let alone at risk of being punished for bad play with the exception of maybe the first post timeskip chapter.