Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Agreed as gently caress.

Bought it, read it, gave it to friends, saw the stage play at the Bridge Hotel Balmain with Steve Le Marcand as JB. Top. Notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

DumbparameciuM posted:

QFT

Since this thread has a bit of a hardon for the unedited raw footage of these big events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg

I was about to post this, insane footage.

That firestorm was so intense it formed its own tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDcVxse91Y

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm usually a book over movie guy but that movie nails it so hard. They couldn't have done a better job.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Thanks for the doco and the book reco, will check that out
I read The Arsonist: A Mind On Fire by Chloe Hooper which is pretty good and covers a specific part of the super fire complex thing

Most of the way through Inferno now, I don't remember my first readthrough, but I noticed a huge bias in the writing now, turns out the author is a former Herald Sun journalist and currently writes for Quadrant so it's any surprise it is full of despise for "greenies" without actually citing actual proof they had anything to do with backburning legislature, and contradicts it with explaining how the fuel loads were more a result of the local council's bucking to the draw of the area from seachangers who enjoyed the overgrown, heavily wooded look until it became an unstoppable bureaucratic nightmare even the locals were trying to overturn by the end of it, most of the self confessed "greenies".

It does, however, argue in favor of "indigenous inspired land management" while also trying to disparage it as 'inner city latte-sipping nonsense'. But does have a pretty good go at the starkly incompetent and overly-contrived bureaucracy leading to a failure of disaster mitigation and management that the Victorian government was mired in at the time.

So it's pretty typical of ultra-conservative news types, they can often get to the crux of a story but have to take deviations to throw a bunch of gut punches at the ideologic opposition in the process, which is definitely making this for an annoying read.

It's also awkwardly paced, jumps around a lot and can be kind of confusing as to what time of the event you should be considering at the time. Sometimes going from real time retelling of events, to a few pages of a few week after, then to before the real-time events in a different location without logical flow.

Otherwise, there are some great passages in it. Dunno if I would recommend just yet tbh

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 20, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

loving Cane Toads.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oooo a Nippys! Much like Big M and Norco, it's choccy milk I only get on holidays

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was at a blood donation centre and forgot about the free food

Then I saw a nippys box and my inner 9 yr old got very happy

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is the Nippy's Coffee box having a chocolate-coloured label a long troll? Has anyone else reached for the chocolate brown and had a surprise on the first sip?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blow posted:

loving Cane Toads.

Thats one big chazzwaazzer.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blow posted:

That would be the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo.

I was flying Sydney - Brisbane - Cairns when that volcano popped. Mid flight I asked the stewardess if I could go up to the cockpit. She said "I'll check with the pilots". She came back and said "Sure. come on up." Cue me and my gf walking up the aisle into the cockpit with the other passengers all like wtf.

It was crazy. My dad was an Air Traffic Controller, so I kinda speak the lingo. It beats the poo poo out of the view out of the side windows. Punching through orange clouds.

I'll never forget it.

9-11 hosed that up for ever.

I remember being asked if I wanted to go up front many times as a kid and being a bit confused that neither pilot was actually doing anything to fly the plane. My brother was a pilot and I eventually learned that pilots are mostly there for takeoff, landing, and if something goes wrong.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blow posted:

That would be the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo.

I was flying Sydney - Brisbane - Cairns when that volcano popped. Mid flight I asked the stewardess if I could go up to the cockpit. She said "I'll check with the pilots". She came back and said "Sure. come on up." Cue me and my gf walking up the aisle into the cockpit with the other passengers all like wtf.

It was crazy. My dad was an Air Traffic Controller, so I kinda speak the lingo. It beats the poo poo out of the view out of the side windows. Punching through orange clouds.

You're lucky this didn't happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_009

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Stumbled on this doco on the 1994 Blue Mountains fires and it is painfully early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zW9TPoF620

- cops wearing those sunglasses all the surfers wore at the time
- Horrible title cards because everyone just got a new software package and just HAD to use the blue marble with gold lettering so everyone's introduction looks like the plaque on their grave
- Weird music that doesn't know what tone it is trying to set that was all made on the one keyboard and is also mostly terrible
- VHS quality image with not much effort in pace or cohesion (Not that it isn't mostly self explanatory, still ) with worse sound mixing.

The footage, though, is fantastic.
Never really seen how quickly some bushes can burn before they're mostly gone. And there are parts where you can see how quickly a fire can advance. The camera operators had some serious balls (It was just the two of them)

It gets a bit naff at the end, a lot of old Australia there, parades and prayer. (Turns out the whole production was made entirely in the Blue Mountains)

Watch it for the footage. The fires are nowhere near as insane as Black Saturday or Black Summer, but you get to see a lot more closer because of this.

Speaking of: 4 Corners Black Saturday episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdGqTQkRVwE, already in the first 2 minutes the extremity completely overshadows the last doco. loving hell.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 21, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm not sure if it was that fire and/or different fires in the Ku-ring-gai and Lane Love happening at the same time but that was the year it rained ash and half burned leaves on inner city Sydney.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm not sure if it was that fire and/or different fires in the Ku-ring-gai and Lane Love happening at the same time but that was the year it rained ash and half burned leaves on inner city Sydney.

That happened about ten years ago, too. I remember burn leaves and twigs landing on our table at a pub in Newtown.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

That was very strange. I was in my neighbour's spa, drinking Coopers Sparkling Ale. Huge intact black charred eucalyptus leaves just fell out of the clear blue sky.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Do any of your stories ever not include you're beverage of choice?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Do any of your stories ever not include you're beverage of choice?

Mate. I was just adding colour to the story.

Wrong "your" btw.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Sadly, it'll probably happen again soon...

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Sadly, it'll probably happen again soon...

Not this summer mate. It's rained like buggery all last year

(Speaking in my authority as deputy captain of the local bush fire brigade back in the 90s, I had a white helmet with red stripe and everything)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chrpno posted:

(Speaking in my authority as deputy captain of the local bush fire brigade back in the 90s, I had a white helmet with red stripe and everything)

Once it dries out though all that new green poo poo we got growing is going to find out that Australia is really hostile to things that aren't white.

Currently drinking a VB longneck for breakfast, it's 05:20 though not 8am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?Ns15eHLDv1I

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Australia seemed like paradise when I was a kid watching Discovery Channel.

Now it fills me with an almost Lovecraftian horror. My wife and I are seriously looking into moving from Canada to New Zealand, but I can’t in a million years imagine Aussieland as anything but The Hills have Eyes, Mate.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

madmatt112 posted:

Now it fills me with an almost Lovecraftian horror. My wife and I are seriously looking into moving from Canada to New Zealand, but I can’t in a million years imagine Aussieland as anything but The Hills have Eyes, Mate.

Well that 3 metre Saltwater Croc that was chilling on North Stradbroke seems to have hosed off.

Safe as gently caress now.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Chrpno posted:

The fuel load has built up significantly and if we get a dry summer later this year then grass fires are a major concern. They don't have the intensity of the forest fires but move extremely quickly.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Chrpno posted:

No, not this summer. Hopefully there's a decent window to backburn safely before we go back to 45 degree summers.

I mean, Black Summer was the last one, then we've had nothing but flooding since. There will hopefully be a year of neither fires nor floods where it isn't pissing down too much or far too dangerous to do mitigation works.
My understanding with B-Sum is that they barely had a ten-day window for it that year.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Just wondering, do you guys still have the draconian anti-rabies laws you used to have? Just wondering, not plotting anything. You know, for now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Pictures of the ash on my vegetable garden came up on my FB memories the other day. It's the only time I've ever thought we might have to evacuate but Sydney was ringed by bushfire so I don't know where we would have gone.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

madmatt112 posted:

I'm pretty sure Canada has natural disasters and hostile wildlife, too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Just wondering, do you guys still have the draconian anti-rabies laws you used to have? Just wondering, not plotting anything. You know, for now.

Yes, Australia is one of the few places in the world that's rabies free, and the aim is to keep it that way. You can import a pet into Australia but it's a 3+ month process if the pet is originally from Australia, and more like 6 months if the pet has never been to Australia. You can only import pets to Australia from certain countries, and there's a mandatory 10-day quarantine period on arrival.

We did it with our dog a few years ago and it's a pretty stressful experience to be honest. It's expensive too, I think it cost us something like $10k AUD across the whole process. For reference, getting him from Sydney to Madrid cost about $3k - roughly the same as two adult one-way tickets.

If you're migrating here permanently then yeah it's worth it, but for just a holiday it's absolutely not.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Hey they know there’s a rabies vaccine, right? Just asking.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

webmeister posted:

Yes, Australia is one of the few places in the world that's rabies free, and the aim is to keep it that way. You can import a pet into Australia but it's a 3+ month process if the pet is originally from Australia, and more like 6 months if the pet has never been to Australia. You can only import pets to Australia from certain countries, and there's a mandatory 10-day quarantine period on arrival.

We did it with our dog a few years ago and it's a pretty stressful experience to be honest. It's expensive too, I think it cost us something like $10k AUD across the whole process. For reference, getting him from Sydney to Madrid cost about $3k - roughly the same as two adult one-way tickets.

If you're migrating here permanently then yeah it's worth it, but for just a holiday it's absolutely not.

I was shocked to learn the other day that the quarantine period is so short. I remember it being much longer many years ago and feel like it should probably be longer given how many animals are coming into Australia from overseas these days.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Hey they know there’s a rabies vaccine, right? Just asking.

Lol, look just cos you're stuck in a rabies infested hell hole doesn't mean everybody has too be!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Lol, look just cos you're stuck in a rabies infested hell hole doesn't mean everybody has too be!

Dude nobody in my state who wasn't a professional bat-harasser has gotten rabies in like the last 90 years. I get what you mean though rabies is dead sexy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Dude nobody in my state who wasn't a professional bat-harasser has gotten rabies in like the last 90 years. I get what you mean though rabies is dead sexy

Hey everyone knows consumption is the sexy diseases wanted be all!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Hey everyone knows consumption is the sexy diseases wanted be all!

*vomits blood*

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's very cool and very normal to have all your native animals frothing at the mouth and even more aggressive, you just get a vaccine every time one of them attacks you. Why would Australians not want that ? - An obviously diseased American.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lolie posted:

I'm pretty sure Canada has natural disasters and hostile wildlife, too.

Buddy, I was talking about the whiteys

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

*vomits blood*

*Titters in bashful Victorian*

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

It's very cool and very normal to have all your native animals frothing at the mouth and even more aggressive, you just get a vaccine every time one of them attacks you. Why would Australians not want that ? - An obviously diseased American.

Oh god they've made their way in! I'm so sorry!

god help us all!

j/k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BDtdkyxFk