Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Hey they know there’s a rabies vaccine, right? Just asking.

What about the past few years gives you the confidence to say that people will always take a vaccine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao at the deadshit coming in here to say Australia needs more problems. gently caress off mate. We're full.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The most recent rabies death in the US was because someone wouldn't take the vaccine

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

spaceblancmange posted:

The most recent rabies death in the US was because someone wouldn't take the vaccine

:lol:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Remember when the deputy pm trolled johnny depp so hard that his marriage ended leading to a court case where we found out that amber heard shat the bed?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Lolie posted:

I was shocked to learn the other day that the quarantine period is so short. I remember it being much longer many years ago and feel like it should probably be longer given how many animals are coming into Australia from overseas these days.

isnt it changing to 30 days in a month or two?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It doesn't mean they were anti vax, they just might not have been able to afford it :911:

There is a native rabies virus in the bats here, but it hasn't been seen to spill over into other natives (yet). The rabies vaccine works on it too. We also have Hendra which is just as fatal as rabies but has only been seen to transmit from bats to horses then to humans. Outbreaks have slowed a lot since they started vaccinating horses.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lolie posted:

I was shocked to learn the other day that the quarantine period is so short. I remember it being much longer many years ago and feel like it should probably be longer given how many animals are coming into Australia from overseas these days.

Yeah, the quarantine period used to be three months, but you basically didn't have to do anything - the government did it all for you once the animal arrived. These days you have to do everything else (hence why the process takes 3 months), but the quarantine period is only 10 days.

And yeah I think it is getting increased to 30 days again, though I haven't looked into that recently.

As I recall the main reason for the 10 days is that it's a safeguard that an incoming animal doesn't have rabies. To get the import permit you need official notarised documentation of rabies vaccination, and a titre test (documenting that the vaccine has been effective). These I think can only be done by specific "official" vets, but of course depending on where you are that can always be worked around :10bux:

You also need to show evidence that the animal is up to date with the usual parasite etc treatments, and those also need to have been done by a vet (so you can't just give your dog the usual Nexguard or whatever, you have to pay a vet to do it and sign a bit of paper saying they've done it).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

spaceblancmange posted:

It doesn't mean they were anti vax, they just might not have been able to afford it :911:

There is a native rabies virus in the bats here, but it hasn't been seen to spill over into other natives (yet). The rabies vaccine works on it too. We also have Hendra which is just as fatal as rabies but has only been seen to transmit from bats to horses then to humans. Outbreaks have slowed a lot since they started vaccinating horses.

Lol I grew up in Hendra, I didn't realise that Hendra virus was my Suburb untill I was in high school

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jestery posted:

Lol I grew up in Hendra, I didn't realise that Hendra virus was my Suburb untill I was in high school

I just checked the wiki and it gives where it was first found right down to the street adress, lol.

"10 Williams Avenue, Hendra, a suburb of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

dr_rat posted:

I just checked the wiki and it gives where it was first found right down to the street adress, lol.

"10 Williams Avenue, Hendra, a suburb of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia."

vampire bats will not suck your cock

stop trying it resident of 10 williams ave, hendra, qld

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Originally named The no.10 Williams Street , Hendra, Queensland, 4011, Australia Virus, the stigma was just too great for the owners of the property.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Meskhenet posted:

isnt it changing to 30 days in a month or two?

Supposedly but we'll see if they stick to that in the face of pushback.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

spaceblancmange posted:

There is a native rabies virus in the bats here, but it hasn't been seen to spill over into other natives (yet).

Bat lyssavirus is why you should never try to handle a bat which is in the open during the day. They may just be injured but they could also be infected. Bat rescuers are vaccinated.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Who the gently caress is rescuing bats?? Are we short on bats? gently caress me dead, go down to the river at dusk and watch the bastards fly over for about 2 hours straight and tell me that we have to go out and rescue them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Wayne Foundation pays the big bucks for it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

spaceblancmange posted:

Originally named The no.10 Williams Street , Hendra, Queensland, 4011, Australia Virus, the stigma was just too great for the owners of the property.

What is it with with life-snuffing dehumanizing infectious agents coming out of No 10?

this is a joke for commonwealth nations tyvm

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Microbats are cute, a friend of mine rescues and rehabs them, currently he has some cute little 'fishing bats'

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Chrpno posted:

Who the gently caress is rescuing bats?? Are we short on bats? gently caress me dead, go down to the river at dusk and watch the bastards fly over for about 2 hours straight and tell me that we have to go out and rescue them

Many Australian bat species are threatened and some are critically endangered. What you see flying over of a night are almost certainly flying foxes but we have 80 other species of bats.

https://www.ausbats.org.au/species-list.html

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Meant to post this one, whoops

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Don't think I've seen Jubilee Park and Johnstons Creek ever look so idyllic

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Yeah, the work they've done there is nice. Helps that the tide is up super high so you're not just looking at a dry creek.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I stopped going past it on the tram maybe two years ago so I've not caught up on it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I might be passing by the Hendra virus ground zero in a week or so, I'll take a photo for the thread

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
There better be a statue of a horse on the spot

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/whatsdoinmedia/status/1618061230329204736

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
it's....it's alive

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

For gently caress's sake. If you want Australia Day to be inclusive rather than divisive then hold it during NAIDOC week or have it replace the monarch's birthday holiday. It's not that loving hard.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Narrowly avoided Queensland fever

quote:

Q fever was first described in 1935 by Edward Holbrook Derrick[27] in slaughterhouse workers in Brisbane, Queensland. The "Q" stands for "query" and was applied at a time when the causative agent was unknown; it was chosen over suggestions of abattoir fever and Queensland rickettsial fever, to avoid directing negative connotations at either the cattle industry or the state of Queensland.[28]

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

My mother-in-law has had the Ross River fever for years. I rode over the Ross river on a scooter last year. Good times

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

The propaganda is only as good as the poor shitbrain you punch it into.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

People think I'm smart, but really I'm just autistic and my dad drank a lot of XXXX and I memorised the lids

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

The propaganda is only as good as the poor shitbrain you punch it into.

There's definitely a point where the people most susceptible to your narrative and vocally repeating it are so repellent they become an active liability to your cause.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a point where the people most susceptible to your narrative and vocally repeating it are so repellent they become an active liability to your cause.

The Lathem index

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzY9_wCaRc

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Spotted a dude wearing running shorts, blue wife beater and Aussie flag bucket hat filming a rant down by the harbour yesterday arvo and realised that was the first Aussie flag I saw all day. Sometimes it's nice to live in the latte belt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I hope all you cunts got on the piss and had a great Straya Day.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_roz9pnZmGD1s1ddrj_720.mp4

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

massive day of sinking beers, huffing bongs and drawing on butchers paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wesleywillis posted:

SMH posted:

Crowds pelt police with rocks, bottles, bricks in Perth CBD Australia Day riots

An officer was struck in the head as police donned riot gear to quell separate mass fights in Perth’s CBD late on Australia Day.

A WA Police spokeswoman said officers were first called to the Perth Train Station on Wellington Street just after 10pm on reports of two large groups of people fighting.

As officers moved to disperse the crowd of about 150 people, rocks and bottles were thrown at police, and the regional operations group was called in as the incident was declared an out-of-control gathering.

The police spokeswoman said multiple people were arrested however no injuries were reported.

Carly Higgins, who manages the Shoe Bar at Yagan Square, down Wellington Street from Perth Train Station, said she closed early as police began to congregate.

Higgins told 6PR police were congregating near the Horseshoe Bridge, and within 20 minutes of closing officers “rolled through” to break up the gathering.

“You [could] see normal patrons trying to get through the square and getting abused, and it wasn’t a very nice place to be,” she said.

“At the start of the night, maybe about 8.30pm, I got a chair almost thrown out me, so that’s about when it started.”

Higgins said she had people yell abuse at her, drinks stolen from the bar, and found someone in the closed downstairs cafe.

She said people drinking outside legal areas in the square the bar overlooked did not help the situation.

WA Police Senior Sergeant Adrian Fuller said “significant resources” were deployed to quell the incident.

“[Officers] were greeted with significant number of persons outside Wellington Street, outside the train station, into Forrest Place, as a result of their behaviour with projectiles being thrown towards police, police got additional resources and formed up some lines tactically to separate the persons and execute some arrests,” he said.

Several hours later, about 2am on Friday, police were called to Moore Street in East Perth near the McIver train station on more reports of a mass brawl and people armed with paving, bricks and even a tomahawk.

An out-of-control gathering was declared and the regional operations group was called in again to disperse the crowd.

Fuller said people within the crowd began to hurl bricks and broken pavers at police as officers worked to move everyone on.

“Unfortunately two officers were injured and one of those is seeking hospital treatment,” he said.

Police are calling for anyone with vision or information about the incident to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online.

Police did not give any indication of the motivation behind the mass brawls, however acting WA Police Union president Paul Gale condemned what he saw as escalating political violence.

“I have one simple message for anyone thinking about carrying out political violence against a police officer: if you have a problem with the politicians, take it out at the ballot box,” he said.

“Don’t take it out at police officers who are working unsocial hours and doing their best to protect property and keep the community safe.”

The turbulent end to the public holiday followed a muted day of celebrations at the foreshore, including for the City of Perth’s lights show.

Invasion Day rallies were also held in the CBD, joining the chorus of protests across Australia calling for the date of the holiday to change.

Australia Day crowds in Perth have waned over the years on the back of a shift in sentiment towards the national holiday and a decline in council spending on public events.